Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: First small Guilds Spoiler  (Read 52833 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: First small Guilds Spoiler
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2013, 06:05:10 pm »

no, I mean actually a game of dominion. Like, you have a deck, and buy cards and stuff.

Yeah, during night you're playing dominion and some of the cards do mafia-related things, then the day is a normal mafia day.  Similar to MXXII.

We had that game.  DoMafia I, by Archetype.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:32 pm »

As we've seen only straight Action cards, I really like to see one Victory and one Reaction card in this set (Both Alchemy and Cornucopia had a Victory card, Alchemy didn't have a Reaction, though). A Treasure Card would be nice, but not necessary for me (Both Alchemy and Cornucopia had one).
Then I think we will see 2 Attack cards, one Curser and maybe one that messes with the top of your opponents' decks (each set had at least one curser, Alchemy had 2 Attacks and Cornupia 3 Attacks).
We haven't seen any card with +Buy yet, maybe one Attack card will have +Buy, but I expect 2 cards to come with +Buy (Alchemy had one, Cornucopia had two).
Herald is a pseudo-village. But will there be a real village with +2 Actions? I guess, yes. (Cornucopia had even 2 villages, Alchemy had one and one pseudo village)

What else is missing?

No card which gains cards so far; Butcher doesn't count, I mean a Workshop variant, Alchemy had University and Cornucopia had Horn of Plenty.
Herald is kinda non-terminal draw, but as Cornucopia had Hunting Party and Alchemy had Alchemist, Apothecary and Scrying Pool we might see one.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »

As we've seen only straight Action cards, I really like to see one Victory and one Reaction card in this set (Both Alchemy and Cornucopia had a Victory card, Alchemy didn't have a Reaction, though). A Treasure Card would be nice, but not necessary for me (Both Alchemy and Cornucopia had one).
Then I think we will see 2 Attack cards, one Curser and maybe one that messes with the top of your opponents' decks (each set had at least one curser, Alchemy had 2 Attacks and Cornupia 3 Attacks).
We haven't seen any card with +Buy yet, maybe one Attack card will have +Buy, but I expect 2 cards to come with +Buy (Alchemy had one, Cornucopia had two).
Herald is a pseudo-village. But will there be a real village with +2 Actions? I guess, yes. (Cornucopia had even 2 villages, Alchemy had one and one pseudo village)

What else is missing?

No card which gains cards so far; Butcher doesn't count, I mean a Workshop variant, Alchemy had University and Cornucopia had Horn of Plenty.
Herald is kinda non-terminal draw, but as Cornucopia had Hunting Party and Alchemy had Alchemist, Apothecary and Scrying Pool we might see one.

While he does have to keep in mind the niches to be filled, so that a purely random kingdom will continue to have the right proportions of +Actions/+Buys/etc, I would like to think his primary objective is to create cards that are interesting and fully exploring his chosen themes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »

+Buy is less important when you have overpay effects and coin tokens. Have excess money? Save it or spend it on overpaying. We may only have one card that gives +Buy in the set.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2013, 08:21:29 pm »
+1

For non-terminal draw, what about something like:

$2 - Action
+2 Cards
You may pay a coin token.  If you do, +1 Action.
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it.  For each $1 you overpaid, gain a coin token.

Maybe allow multiple coin tokens to be paid for +1 Action each, making it a potential Village as well.

Alternatively, make it a Village to start and you can pay coin tokens for extra draw?

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2013, 12:32:29 am »

GPguild ($3) --> FO = Footman
HVguild ($5) --> GU = Guide

? Is footman a thematic thing?

Also, does anyone know if this can be preordered online anywhere yet?

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2013, 01:19:54 am »
+1

Based on a bit of research into Medieval guilds, here are my guesses for Guilds card names (those already revealed in bold):
<Modified to bold Herald and add another possibility I had thought of for AD...>

BEguild ($4) --> AD = Advocate (or Adept)
CBguild ($5) --> BA = Baker
CVguild ($5) --> BU = Butcher
DNguild ($2) --> CM = Candlestick Maker
EPguild ($3) --> DO = Doctor
GPguild ($3) --> FO = Founder (or Foundry)
HVguild ($5) --> GU = Guild Hall
IFguild ($4) --> HE = Herald
NHguild ($5) --> MG = Merchant Guild (or Master Guildsman)
NJguild ($2) --> MI = Miller
TPguild ($5) --> SO = Sojourner renamed to Journeyman (?)
UWguild ($4) --> TV = Trading Village (or Tavern)
UYguild ($4) --> TX = Tax Collector
MG could also be Magistrate. GU could be Guildmaster

and I kinda want FO to be Fountain. And MI should be Milliner (a maker of hats).

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2013, 01:33:10 am »

$2 - Action
+2 Cards
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it.  For each $1 you overpaid, gain a coin token.

Maybe allow multiple coin tokens to be paid for +1 Action each, making it a potential Village as well.

Alternatively, make it a Village to start and you can pay coin tokens for extra draw?

Sounds like a lot for a cost $2 card. A cost $2 card that lets you save cash for later seems to be worth buying just for that benefit. How about this:

Candlestick Maker

$2+ - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

A useless cantrip once it's in your deck, but still worth buying in order to save cash for later. Am I off-base here?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:13 am »

There really aren't so many situations in which you'd want to lose $4 (and a buy) now in order to have an extra $2 later, e.g. Also, Cantrips aren't totally neutral to your deck, since you can draw them dead, and if you get Militia'd (or draw them with a Hamlet) you don't know whether to discard them or not. The only reason I'd ever buy this would be Vineyards.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

TrojH

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2013, 09:59:30 am »

Eh, maybe you're right. Maybe if it was "+1 Action, Gain a coin token" instead of "+1 Card, +1 Action"?

Or maybe I should stop speculating, and wait patiently for the rules like everyone else.  :)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2013, 11:21:42 am »

$2 - Action
+2 Cards
--

Sounds like a lot for a cost $2 card. A cost $2 card that lets you save cash for later seems to be worth buying just for that benefit. How about this:

Candlestick Maker

$2+ - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

A useless cantrip once it's in your deck, but still worth buying in order to save cash for later. Am I off-base here?

Mostly useless cantrips are fine at $2 (Pearl Diver, Vagrant), and the card will be great in games with no +buy, but it should have at least SOME effect that makes it possibly worth buying at $2.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2013, 10:02:03 pm »

$2 - Action
+2 Cards
--

Candlestick Maker

$2+ - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

Mostly useless cantrips are fine at $2 (Pearl Diver, Vagrant), and the card will be great in games with no +buy, but it should have at least SOME effect that makes it possibly worth buying at $2.

How about after the cantrip portion, you add:

You may trash this card.  If you do, gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2013, 11:58:25 pm »

Also, does anyone know if this can be preordered online anywhere yet?

l have it preordered at Boards & Bits.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:52 am »

Everyone seems to think the Candlestick maker will be the one that has overpayment for coin tokens.  Does that fit thematically?  Just because he makes stuff?  I guess he can sell his candles at a later date.

It would make more sense for that to be on something called Guild Hall (you invest in your guild and it you get returns later), or Merchant Guild, or Tax Collector.

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:28 am »
+1

I posted this in another thread, but it really belongs here. We've just sort of taken it as a given that "SO" was originally something like "Sojourner" which was then renamed to Journeyman. But the two words mean very different things. It's just as likely that the GU (the other $5 card) was originally named something too close to "Guilds" and was renamed, in the same way that "Hinterland" was renamed to "Farmland" in the Hinterlands expansion.

In that case, we should also think of SO names. I suggested Sorceress (or possibly Sorcerer) as a Curser, but I'm sure you guys can think of others.

Or, we could wait a few days for it all to be released, but where's the fun in that?

TrojH

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:44 am »

Everyone seems to think the Candlestick maker will be the one that has overpayment for coin tokens.  Does that fit thematically?  Just because he makes stuff?  I guess he can sell his candles at a later date.

My two reasons why I think it's the Candlestick Maker (assuming that's what "CM" is):

1. He only costs $2, so there's plenty of opportunity for overpayment.

2. The Butcher and Baker both make use of coin tokens, so it makes sense that the Candlestick Maker would also make use of coin tokens.

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2013, 08:38:15 am »

In that case, we should also think of SO names. I suggested Sorceress (or possibly Sorcerer) as a Curser, but I'm sure you guys can think of others.
Sovereign might be a good name for a victory card that does something with coin tokens, since it could mean a rank of nobility or it could mean a coin.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2013, 02:23:54 pm »

I would think sovereign would be out as a card name because it's basically a synonym for a king or an emperor, which is really the role of the players in the game. If a sovereign is part of someone's dominion then he's not very sovereign.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »

I posted this in another thread, but it really belongs here. We've just sort of taken it as a given that "SO" was originally something like "Sojourner" which was then renamed to Journeyman. But the two words mean very different things. It's just as likely that the GU (the other $5 card) was originally named something too close to "Guilds" and was renamed, in the same way that "Hinterland" was renamed to "Farmland" in the Hinterlands expansion.

Or, we could wait a few days for it all to be released, but where's the fun in that?

Soup Chef!

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2013, 02:51:43 pm »
+3

I find it highly amusing to look on my unread posts list and see the thread "first small Guilds Spoiler" when we currently have almost half the expansion released.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2013, 10:45:14 am »
+6

BEguild ($4) --> AD = Advisor
CBguild ($5) --> BA = Baker
CVguild ($5) --> BU = Butcher
DNguild ($2) --> CM = Candlestick Maker
EPguild ($3) --> DO = Doctor
GPguild ($3) --> FO = Masterpiece
HVguild ($5) --> GU = Journeyman
IFguild ($4) --> HE = Herald
NHguild ($5) --> MG = Merchant Guild
NJguild ($2) --> MI = Stonemason
TPguild ($5) --> SO = Soothsayer
UWguild ($4) --> TV = Plaza
UYguild ($4) --> TX = Taxman
Well you *do* need a signature...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
+3

UWguild ($4) --> TV = Plaza

Which, being a village, was probably Trading Village, and they decided "Hey, do we really need more cards that start with 'Trade' or 'Trading'?"
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:04 pm »
+1

I wonder when those acronyms were decided. We know Guilds was more or less finalized before Dark Ages (since it was originally scheduled to come first, right?), so the names were probably already chosen by then, but were they earlier than that?

I wonder if FO used to be called "Fool's Gold," since in one of the addenda to the Secret History of Hinterlands he mentioned that "Fool's Gold" was a name that bounced around to a lot of cards.

MI was probably "Miller" since it "grinds" a big card into two smaller cards. I wonder why it changed.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:45 pm »
+1

Maybe Journeyman was originally Guide or Guildmaster or something similar.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2013, 12:27:33 pm »
+4

if only the Plaza were a Tub.

TV = Tub Village?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.