Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: Announcing Dominion Set Generator  (Read 95337 times)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: Announcing Dominion Set Generator
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:23 am »
+1

It doesn't sound like blasphemy, given that Pro games already aren't all full-random; some are base-only (why do people host these and not label them), some are base+intrigue, some base+seaside, many are full-random except guilds, &c. Of course, you can't avoid having those base cards show up if you really don't like them, but every other expansion, you can avoid by just not getting the cards (some of the expansions, you can even get only half of). Since it's already possible to randomise pro kingdoms from a set of expansions you choose, I don't see why that shouldn't just be part of the interface.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:42 pm »

I am a big proponent of using the set generator... for casual games. And I do use it for casual games with friends sometimes.

I am not so sure how I would feel if it was implemented for Pro games. Too much tweaking in how kingdoms are chosen for Pro could lead to rating confusion (what kind of game are we playing? -- it's enough of a problem with just differences in expansion ownership). But I can see an argument for Pro = "blind" and Casual = "not blind" where you have a choice of several ways of randomizing in Pro games, too.

I guess I like the Pro as full random and casual as anything goes. I would use the generator more, but I don't like having to manually type in results from the kingdom generator into My Decks in order to create the games. I do a batch at a time, but still.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:03 pm »
+1

Just throwing in my 2¢ here. I never play Pro games anymore. I play Casual and use the Kingdom generator (the user extension's, not Wei Hwa's) to randomize games that pull from two expansions (sprinkling in promos proportionately). Granted, there are intra-set combos I see more often, but I enjoy it a lot more than full random. Thanks to those combos, the games tend to be more flavorful (a Hinterlands game tends to be more sifty, while a Dark Ages game is trash-crazy) and less samey. It also lets a lot of marginalized cards shine much more often (especially Transmute, holy crap).

I guess I like the Pro as full random and casual as anything goes. I would use the generator more, but I don't like having to manually type in results from the kingdom generator into My Decks in order to create the games. I do a batch at a time, but still.

I actually set up a local HTML page that randomizes randomizer strings for pasting into the user extension's Kingdom generator. For instance, "Governor, 4 Cornucopia, Hinterlands". My page has a text field that randomizes and selects itself once per minute. When I finish a game, I just have to crtl-2 over to my randomizer page, ctrl-C to copy the string, ctrl-1 back to Goko, and ctrl-V to paste it into the Kingdom Generator. This is why I made the feature request for the Kingdom Generator field to be auto-selected when it comes up. It's incredibly convenient.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:26:34 am by LastFootnote »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 1.056 seconds with 20 queries.