Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127032 times)

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5300 on: May 23, 2022, 07:24:46 am »
+2

Just read this interview
https://dicetowerdish.com/2021/10/19/donald-x-vaccarino-part-1-covid-krebs-and-kidneys/
And be happy there still are 2E and (probably) new expansions to come out.
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: May 23, 2022, 04:54:11 pm »

That's a neat interview, thanks for sharing dirkdebeule.

Not really a question, just a comment...

Donald, I don't know if you've seen this, since you say that you mostly don't play other deckbuilding games.  But a common pattern I've seen is to mix all the cards together, and then there are just a few random cards available to take at any time.

The advantage is that instead of 25 kingdom cards in a set, you could print 250 unique cards or something.  Also setup is easier, and there's less info to process upfront.  On the other hand, it feels incompatible with variable setup.  There are differences from game to game, but we're still drawing from the same random deck, so there's a sort of uniformity to it.  We've enjoyed lots of deckbuilding games, but a bit disappointing, and one of the reasons we play more Dominion.

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: May 24, 2022, 11:46:48 am »
+2

Donald, I don't know if you've seen this, since you say that you mostly don't play other deckbuilding games.  But a common pattern I've seen is to mix all the cards together, and then there are just a few random cards available to take at any time.

The advantage is that instead of 25 kingdom cards in a set, you could print 250 unique cards or something.  Also setup is easier, and there's less info to process upfront.  On the other hand, it feels incompatible with variable setup.  There are differences from game to game, but we're still drawing from the same random deck, so there's a sort of uniformity to it.  We've enjoyed lots of deckbuilding games, but a bit disappointing, and one of the reasons we play more Dominion.
One of the reasons I play a huge amount of Dominion, but such other deckbuilding games not at all, is that I find it very confusing to have a huge variety of unique cards, often with quite subtle differences, in a single game, so I hope Donald never goes down this route.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: May 24, 2022, 04:37:29 pm »
+3

In secret histories you will find that I initially considered doing Dominion that way, and didn't like the idea.

I personally think it's great to have some games where you have a random hand of cards that's different from the other players - where you don't just have the same tools to work with that they do. I think I like this more than players do in general. And I have published games that go that route, e.g. Winter Kingdom. But I've never liked the shared line of cards, where you buy one and it gets replaced (which games older than Dominion have used). It just sets you up to feel bad about when a card gets turned over. I've had games where you pick simultaneously, which fixes that, but then you're back to, for Dominion we each need copies of all the cards.

josqvin

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: June 01, 2022, 05:59:59 pm »

Hi, for the new Hoard I understand why you couldn't switch to on gain, but I was wondering if it could not have been "when you gain in the buy phase" which seems cleaner to me and has fewer commas. I tried racking my head about buy phase broken synergies but couldn't think of one. Thanks.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: June 01, 2022, 10:21:29 pm »

Hi, for the new Hoard I understand why you couldn't switch to on gain, but I was wondering if it could not have been "when you gain in the buy phase" which seems cleaner to me and has fewer commas. I tried racking my head about buy phase broken synergies but couldn't think of one. Thanks.

The types of infinite loops he was concerned with would be exactly the same in the buy phase as in the action phase, wouldn’t they? If you imagine some very basic card such as “this turn, when you gain a Gold, gain a cheaper card”. Such a card would gain you all the Estates and all the Duchies and 16 Golds just for buying a single Estate with Hoard in play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: June 02, 2022, 12:13:08 am »

The types of infinite loops he was concerned with would be exactly the same in the buy phase as in the action phase, wouldn’t they? If you imagine some very basic card such as “this turn, when you gain a Gold, gain a cheaper card”. Such a card would gain you all the Estates and all the Duchies and 16 Golds just for buying a single Estate with Hoard in play.
Yes.

I could have done a "once per turn" limit on Hoard, to let it be "when gain," and if it were a new card that would be a potential fix, but for this existing card that seemed worse-to-do than what I did do.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: June 02, 2022, 10:59:42 pm »
+1

How come there are different layouts and sometimes different wording (Mill) between the 2nd Edition Game and the 2nd Edition Update Pack?
-The Compulsive Completist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: June 03, 2022, 02:04:03 pm »
+4

How come there are different layouts and sometimes different wording (Mill) between the 2nd Edition Game and the 2nd Edition Update Pack?
And why is the expansion symbol smaller on the update pack Artisan and Bandit?

I'm trying to think of what the answer could possibly be other than "that was a mistake." So far I haven't come up with anything.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: June 03, 2022, 02:08:11 pm »
+1

Could a second edition update potentially turn a small set into a normal-sized set?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: June 03, 2022, 02:20:12 pm »
+7

Could a second edition update potentially turn a small set into a normal-sized set?
It's not something I have to rule out, but I will just remind you here that when Alchemy was a large set, it didn't actually have more potion-costing cards in it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5311 on: June 03, 2022, 02:54:19 pm »
+2

is combining the three small sets into a single mixed box product potentially on the table when it's time to consider a 2E for them?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: June 03, 2022, 09:36:28 pm »
+1

I’m guessing 450 cards plus metal tokens and mats is a no-go.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: June 04, 2022, 02:38:19 pm »
+4

is combining the three small sets into a single mixed box product potentially on the table when it's time to consider a 2E for them?
I don't need to rule it out, but a major negative is making people buy Alchemy in order to get the other two sets.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: June 05, 2022, 02:45:07 am »

Who is the cover artist of Prosperity 2E?
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: June 05, 2022, 05:33:16 am »

I’m guessing 450 cards plus metal tokens and mats is a no-go.

You don't really need mats for Coffers... just put the coin tokens on the table next to your deck. As all other uses of coin tokens do have mats (Villagers, Favors, the removed Pirate Ship), there's no risk of confusion.

I suppose 450 cards plus coin tokens would still be more expensive to produce than most other expansions, though. FWIW, in Germany there was (is?) a mixed box with Alchemy and Cornucopia.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: June 05, 2022, 01:57:01 pm »

Who is the cover artist of Prosperity 2E?
Harald Lieske

Governor Bailey

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: June 05, 2022, 07:41:29 pm »
+1

Has there ever been thought to a kick starter for supplemental cards whose sets likely won't be revisited?

It would be great to have do overs for things like potion cards, add more night cards etc.  A mish mash of cards that wouldn't make sense for any one expansion.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be a fortune to earned with less than 8 copper debt.

Terraforming Mars hit their target in no time and added cards only available for certain expansions.
Rabid fanbases would fork over all sorts of money.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 07:43:41 pm by Governor Bailey »

Petzi

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: PetziPotato
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: June 06, 2022, 12:07:47 pm »

Where can I read more things that you've written? The stuff you write for Dominion is hilarious, I'd love to read other stuff, books, novellas etc.

Thanks!

josqvin

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: June 06, 2022, 03:10:40 pm »

Did you work on Hinterlands 2E simultaneously with Allies and the other 2Es?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: June 06, 2022, 03:15:24 pm »
+5

Has there ever been thought to a kick starter for supplemental cards whose sets likely won't be revisited?
There have been no thoughts towards any kinds of kickstarters whatsoever.

I did put some work into a "treasure chest" expansion of additional cards for existing sets; that project turned into Adventures.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: June 06, 2022, 03:16:29 pm »
+4

Where can I read more things that you've written? The stuff you write for Dominion is hilarious, I'd love to read other stuff, books, novellas etc.
Maybe someday I'll put some work into getting stuff published. For now there's just one story in this: https://www.spdbooks.org/Products/9781735252643/colossushome.aspx

(It's not just a list of jokes like the blurbs though.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: June 06, 2022, 03:18:08 pm »
+4

Did you work on Hinterlands 2E simultaneously with Allies and the other 2Es?
Yes. I didn't start all the projects simultaneously, but I was working on all of them at the same time.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5323 on: June 06, 2022, 03:50:36 pm »
+2

Maybe someday I'll put some work into getting stuff published. For now there's just one story in this: https://www.spdbooks.org/Products/9781735252643/colossushome.aspx

(It's not just a list of jokes like the blurbs though.)

By the way, I bought this book and it's great. Definitely worth it for the DXV story but the rest is an eye-opening read, at least what I've read of it (I haven't gotten to all the pieces yet).

One thing I like about your writing is that you have a very distinct voice. I've been starting to do some writing recently and have been struggling to find my voice as a writer. Do you have any tips or stories about how you developed your writing style?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5324 on: June 06, 2022, 04:34:00 pm »

do you find it frustrating when something else uses 'dominion' in its title and messes with your SEO? or is that more jay's domain?

thinking specifically of the new jurassic park here
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.