Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127195 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5275 on: April 22, 2022, 01:25:28 pm »
+3

Are there any ideas for mechanics you have that have simply not worked out?
(Of course not ones that could come into a future expansion)
I don't hold back on these stories in the secret histories; anything I've given up on shows up where I gave up on it. Though I've also done mechanics I'd given up on, e.g. "choose one: cantrip or thing" which now is in Allies.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5276 on: April 22, 2022, 05:38:18 pm »
+6

Is the Count the wrinkly grey guy or the guy with black gloves? Or do you not know?
personally i like to think this is a verb-titled card, like remodel, in which case the one doing the counting is Mr Gloves.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: April 22, 2022, 06:19:25 pm »
+3

Is the Count the wrinkly grey guy or the guy with black gloves? Or do you not know?
personally i like to think this is a verb-titled card, like remodel, in which case the one doing the counting is Mr Gloves.
https://youtu.be/B-Wd-Q3F8KM The Count
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: April 23, 2022, 09:27:54 pm »
+1

Are there any ideas for mechanics you have that have simply not worked out?
(Of course not ones that could come into a future expansion)
I don't hold back on these stories in the secret histories; anything I've given up on shows up where I gave up on it. Though I've also done mechanics I'd given up on, e.g. "choose one: cantrip or thing" which now is in Allies.
Since the asker looks new to the forum, I'll just leave a link to those Secret Histories.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: May 12, 2022, 09:08:55 am »

Will there be errata that change Sauna's "while in play" to "this turn"?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: May 12, 2022, 02:47:19 pm »
+3

Will there be errata that change Sauna's "while in play" to "this turn"?
I strongly suspect there will.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: May 18, 2022, 09:06:03 am »
+2

If you would cut Merchant Ship and Lookout in 2E, which 2 cards would have survived?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: May 18, 2022, 02:12:00 pm »
+2

If you would cut Merchant Ship and Lookout in 2E, which 2 cards would have survived?
There's no definitive answer here; that alternate universe doesn't exist for me to query it. I can tell you that Explorer was the card that came closest to surviving, and it's the only one where I think, if I have to keep one of these, okay I keep that one. It's bad whichever card I pick 2nd.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: May 18, 2022, 05:00:04 pm »
+2

You’ve mentioned several times that you’re working to avoid/remove card text that creates confusion between buying and gaining. Is the impetus for this more from a “ease of remembering” standpoint or a “help new players not get it wrong” standpoint? Like, “Gosh I can’t remember if Haggler triggers on buys or gains!” vs “I showed Steve Dominion last week and he just can’t figure out why Embargo gave him a Curse for buying that card but I didn’t get one for Workshopping it.”

I ask because the buy vs gain issue comes up immediately when showing new players Workshop, so I thought this was something players just need to deal with anyways.

(Edited to be a little more concise)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 05:23:31 pm by Imrahil3 »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: May 19, 2022, 12:11:01 am »
+3

You’ve mentioned several times that you’re working to avoid/remove card text that creates confusion between buying and gaining. Is the impetus for this more from a “ease of remembering” standpoint or a “help new players not get it wrong” standpoint? Like, “Gosh I can’t remember if Haggler triggers on buys or gains!” vs “I showed Steve Dominion last week and he just can’t figure out why Embargo gave him a Curse for buying that card but I didn’t get one for Workshopping it.”

I ask because the buy vs gain issue comes up immediately when showing new players Workshop, so I thought this was something players just need to deal with anyways.

(Edited to be a little more concise)
It's to get rid of any and all confusion that it's possible to get rid of. There isn't one single thing, but certainly we can start with, "why doesn't this when-buy trigger when I gain it with Workshop."

Having two kinds of timing there is also quite bad - the fact that you resolve when-buy ahead of when-gain and that it may actually matter. With the changes, the worst case becomes "when you gain a card you bought," on cards where I couldn't just let it trigger on all gains (e.g. Haggler since it would loop). And then we're still making you work out that it only triggers if you bought the card... but it's at least clarifying that more, and it's timed the same as other when-gain abilities, which is something.

Ideally there would have never been a when-buy trigger, and "when you gain a card you bought" cards would be different whatever ways to avoid that. But of course I'm working with what happened and trying not to change the cards any more than necessary to fix the problems.

weretheruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: May 20, 2022, 05:00:31 pm »

Normally you don't say a word when a new expansion is about to come out - did Jay give you permission to hint at the next expansion (possibly) coming out this fall? :P

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: May 20, 2022, 05:22:54 pm »

Normally you don't say a word when a new expansion is about to come out - did Jay give you permission to hint at the next expansion (possibly) coming out this fall? :P
I feel like we were told about the last 2 expansions a good few months in advance, similar to this timeframe. I don’t recall having as much notice for Renaissance and Nocturne though. (Before that I’ve hit the limits of my memory lol)
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: May 20, 2022, 05:34:04 pm »
+5

When Guilds was released I remember there being plenty of notice about how it was the last planned expansion ;)
My opponent has more loot than me

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: May 21, 2022, 01:03:48 pm »
+3

No, I didn't ask and was somehow sure it would be okay too.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: May 21, 2022, 01:04:55 pm »
+4

When Guilds was released I remember there being plenty of notice about how it was the last planned expansion ;)
No, any time anyone ever asked if there would be more expansions, I answered "probably." The only place where I acted like there might not be was the full secret history. And if someone had asked there they would have gotten a "probably" again.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: May 21, 2022, 10:00:27 pm »

If I may pull up the archives...
You've said many times before that Guilds is the last of the "standard" Dominion expansions.  Have you given any thought to what you want to do with Dominion after Guilds?
I would like to do spin-offs that have "Dominion" in the title. Not unrelated stuff like Cardcassonne, but clearly related games which nevertheless are different enough to not just be expansions.

For Dominion itself, probably there will be a promo or two, I think Jay would be interested if I handed him one now. Also probably an online-only promo that couldn't exist irl. Some kind of "treasure chest" small expansion in the future, with 1-2 cards for each existing expansion, sounds more doable than any other new Dominion expansion, but has the issue that it would appeal to a smaller audience than a more normal expansion. Also it has the issue that Jay would note this. At one point I was considering doing a Seaside expansion in place of Guilds (not having come up with Guilds yet). And Jay was like, isn't a new thing better than more of an old thing? And it was, it was better.

I don't see much of a "probably" there.  Adventures was 3 years later.  Some of us remember this stretch as "probably never, Dominion is finished". It was around the time when I joined this forum so it's a period I remember well. I don't recall when Adventures was eventually first announced but it was new! IIRC there was a point when you realized actual Dominion was something enough people wanted more of -- and was interesting enough that you wanted to work on it again -- vs. spin-offs.  Anyway, clearly we've come quite a ways since then I was just making a joke ;)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: May 22, 2022, 05:52:25 am »

At various points through the years Donald said that he would probably not do any more expansions. Sometimes this was more definite, other times he was more open to the idea of doing more.

I think the quoted reply was based on the premise of the question, which was about what to do instead of more expansions (but it was clearly one of the times that not doing expansions seemed pretty likely for Donald).

Here are two examples from 2010 and 2011. In 2010, he said that after the planned expansion, he would "expect the pace to slow way down."

The only earlier mention I can find about this is from 2009. He's not promising to end the expansions here either.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: May 22, 2022, 01:34:45 pm »
+2

If I may pull up the archives...
You've said many times before that Guilds is the last of the "standard" Dominion expansions.  Have you given any thought to what you want to do with Dominion after Guilds?
I would like to do spin-offs that have "Dominion" in the title. Not unrelated stuff like Cardcassonne, but clearly related games which nevertheless are different enough to not just be expansions.

For Dominion itself, probably there will be a promo or two, I think Jay would be interested if I handed him one now. Also probably an online-only promo that couldn't exist irl. Some kind of "treasure chest" small expansion in the future, with 1-2 cards for each existing expansion, sounds more doable than any other new Dominion expansion, but has the issue that it would appeal to a smaller audience than a more normal expansion. Also it has the issue that Jay would note this. At one point I was considering doing a Seaside expansion in place of Guilds (not having come up with Guilds yet). And Jay was like, isn't a new thing better than more of an old thing? And it was, it was better.

I don't see much of a "probably" there.  Adventures was 3 years later.  Some of us remember this stretch as "probably never, Dominion is finished". It was around the time when I joined this forum so it's a period I remember well. I don't recall when Adventures was eventually first announced but it was new! IIRC there was a point when you realized actual Dominion was something enough people wanted more of -- and was interesting enough that you wanted to work on it again -- vs. spin-offs.  Anyway, clearly we've come quite a ways since then I was just making a joke ;)
What I see there is how I specifically consider future expansions in that text you quote, bringing up the idea of the treasure chest and a Seaside expansion. And those two concepts were the premise of Adventures. The promo happened too.

Maybe you read that and just see "but has the issue" -> "oh he's saying it will never happen." That's sure not what I was saying though.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: May 22, 2022, 05:26:06 pm »
+9

I'm pretty sure I would hate for someone to dig up my 10-12-year-old posts and try to analyze to me what I was saying in them and compare it to what I'm saying now. I'm glad I'm not a politician game designer with a rather obsessive fan base.

chipperMDW

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: May 22, 2022, 06:06:47 pm »
+6

I just found this forum
Pfft. Look at this guy with over 1500 posts trying to claim he "just found" the forum.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: May 22, 2022, 06:38:33 pm »
+1

That post was from 2013 also let's not link fan card related threads here.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5296 on: May 22, 2022, 06:58:52 pm »
+1

Pretty sure this was a joke.
Bottom text

chipperMDW

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: May 22, 2022, 07:43:39 pm »
+1

That post was from 2013 also let's not link fan card related threads here.
Oh, good point; I picked his oldest post, but it does go to the variants forum, so don't accidentally read the thread if you click on it, Donald.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: May 22, 2022, 11:22:18 pm »
+3

Stuff from 2012-2014 is no longer of much importance, but I'm not sure why folks (especially Donald himself) are so confused/misremembering here. I remember it well since there were periodic posts throughout the period, new people coming in and wondering if there was going to be another expansion and the best info being shared in response.

Essentially there was a stretch of around 3+ years, from before Guilds was released up until information on the upcoming Adventures expansion being worked on started to come out, that no one in the public had knowledge suggesting there would be another regular expansion, and the consensus based on Donald's many statements was essentially "there are no plans for one", i.e. probably not as far as we knew. Which is not to say plans can't change ("be made") and he couldn't decide to do more Dominion expansions one day. One day he did and et voila, Adventures.

Adventures was probably the most eagerly awaited release ever because, well, it had literally been 3 years since anything new of note had come out in the Dominion world. (Then we unfortunately had to wait even longer to actually play it online, because Isotropic had to shut down and Goko was soo bad).

So one remembers these things. It's not that Donald said there would "never" be an expansion, or even commented on the probability of there "eventually" being one. None of that is interesting. He wasn't working on one and there were no plans for one. That's all we knew, and really all we needed to know.  Creators generally let you know once they're actively working on something that they hope to release in reasonable future to start pooling up demand; that's how it goes in any business and it's what happened here after ~3 years yo.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: May 23, 2022, 02:20:18 am »
+5

Stuff from 2012-2014 is no longer of much importance, but I'm not sure why folks (especially Donald himself) are so confused/misremembering here. I remember it well since there were periodic posts throughout the period, new people coming in and wondering if there was going to be another expansion and the best info being shared in response.
Donald X. himself is sure not confused or misremembering what Donald X. himself was thinking. I was hoping to work on other projects, but knew I'd probably get sucked back into Dominion at some point.

Again the full Secret History acts like that's it ("the light that burns twice as bright burns for eight expansions," and I didn't have to look that up; then someone said it was like a last will and testament and I made a joke about that, again I am not looking this up, check out my memory), but every time someone said "will there be more" I said some version of "probably."

There was a time when I said "yes" and "no" to questions about the future; what you find out is, surprise, you can never know the future. People still want you to be a politician and say "yes" or "no," whichever they want to hear, but instead you have to endlessly say "well we expect it by this date" or "Stef said he'd do that" or whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.