Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126725 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5200 on: December 21, 2021, 12:27:51 pm »
+1

Royal Seal looks even weaker now that there is Kerstball. Did you ever consider buff Royal Seal or do you think its still fine?
The opportunity cost is clearly too high for Royal Seal. Otherwise it's nice; I'd like it in my deck, I just won't have time to get it.

Obv. other cards have revisited the premise over the years.

Petzi

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: PetziPotato
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: January 14, 2022, 11:12:04 am »

Do you think King's Court would have been better off costing Debt? (and moved to a an expansion with Debt, of course)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:13:58 am by Petzi »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: January 14, 2022, 12:08:35 pm »
+1

Do you think King's Court would have been better off costing Debt? (and moved to a an expansion with Debt, of course)
No! Probably not. Maybe it would work out; I haven't done any testing there. I guess the one thing you can say is, it's cheating, it lets me retest the card and cost it differently, so it will come out better. But you know if Debt had been in Prosperity, I don't imagine it would have made the difference for King's Court.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: January 15, 2022, 09:51:21 pm »
+2

Did you consider making a blanket rule for situations where if a card instructs you to do something with your hand and you can't, you reveal your hand to show that you can't? (e.g. first edition Throne Room)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: January 16, 2022, 03:38:52 pm »
+2

Did you consider making a blanket rule for situations where if a card instructs you to do something with your hand and you can't, you reveal your hand to show that you can't? (e.g. first edition Throne Room)
I've considered it, but it doesn't seem worth it for how rarely it comes up. It would be nice to snip all those words from a few cards though.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: January 20, 2022, 08:16:20 am »
+2

I find Horse is very well-named for a card that shows up a lot: it creates a ton of humourous sentences when used with other things.   "I Exorcise my Horse", "my Horse will dig like a Mole", even simple things like Knights killing Horses, etc.  Was this a consideration at all?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: January 20, 2022, 01:11:30 pm »
+1

I find Horse is very well-named for a card that shows up a lot: it creates a ton of humourous sentences when used with other things.   "I Exorcise my Horse", "my Horse will dig like a Mole", even simple things like Knights killing Horses, etc.  Was this a consideration at all?
I tried to have a good name for the card, but it wasn't based on considering lots of interactions, just the basic functionality and having cards that made them.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5207 on: January 22, 2022, 03:59:27 pm »
+1

Has it become harder to name cards as you've already used a lot of the obvious names? And do you make heavy use of a thesaurus for variants of existing cards (remodel variants, etc)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: January 23, 2022, 01:22:51 pm »
+1

Has it become harder to name cards as you've already used a lot of the obvious names? And do you make heavy use of a thesaurus for variants of existing cards (remodel variants, etc)?
It's gotten harder, without resorting to longer names. I do use a thesaurus and also a word menu.

Petzi

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: PetziPotato
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: January 23, 2022, 03:14:16 pm »
+2

Is there a place where I can read your opinions on electoral reforms? I watched the youtube video and I'd love to hear/read more!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:16:22 pm by Petzi »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: January 24, 2022, 01:36:38 pm »
+1

Is there a place where I can read your opinions on electoral reforms? I watched the youtube video and I'd love to hear/read more!
There is a place here where I crossposted a speech about my best voting reform. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14544.msg655961#msg655961

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: January 24, 2022, 02:44:00 pm »

I do like that system. One downside is that it incentivizes voter suppression even more than the current system since every vote you stop for the opposing party makes that party weaker in the legislature, but hey some parties will already suppress voters to the maximum extent they can get away with anyway, so maybe that's a wash.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: January 25, 2022, 12:22:53 pm »
+2

I do like that system. One downside is that it incentivizes voter suppression even more than the current system since every vote you stop for the opposing party makes that party weaker in the legislature, but hey some parties will already suppress voters to the maximum extent they can get away with anyway, so maybe that's a wash.
Maybe I don't really follow you. You're saying that, by making votes more meaningful, it makes it more useful to somehow get rid of votes? I mean of course. And if you keep someone alive, there are more opportunities to kill them, and so on.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: January 25, 2022, 01:32:11 pm »

Maybe I don't really follow you. You're saying that, by making votes more meaningful, it makes it more useful to somehow get rid of votes? I mean of course. And if you keep someone alive, there are more opportunities to kill them, and so on.

The contrapositive of course is that you can get rid of all voter suppression by simply removing voting and appointing dictators!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: January 27, 2022, 02:42:00 pm »
+2

There is a place here where I crossposted a speech about my best voting reform. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14544.msg655961#msg655961

This does seem really interesting. I think the one issue I notice is that in places without mandatory voting, you'll have very different election turnouts in different districts. A candidate who is a huge polling frontrunner in one district, for example, might suppress turnout for their whole election, and therefore have reduced power in the legislature. In another district, a close race between two candidates could inflate turnout and give both "winners" more voting power than the candidate in the first district, despite being less popular. The dynamics that result in total number of votes for a candidate are not necessarily comparable between representatives who didn't run directly against each other. It reminds me a little of why looking at total VP across multiple games is a bad tiebreaker in Dominion tournaments.

On the other hand, you might expect voter behavior to change based on a widespread understanding of how the new system works, and so maybe turnout would be pretty high overall.

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: January 27, 2022, 05:53:05 pm »

I also like this idea of a system. It provides representation per person very well, though it couldn't be used for the Senate very well because you can't combine states without running into problems (the Senate is for representation by state, not by population), which instant-runoff voting would do better at because it allows for people to vote for third parties without "wasting" their vote, which would provide more parties and candidates (more bits to compress into). Another significant problem with this system is that it still keeps a roughly two party system though it is slightly better at it than our current system. Than again, the two voting systems could be combined, say if your party got less than 15% of the total vote, your vote counts for a different candidate, allowing support for third parties to rack up without actually getting in to the House. This is very interesting to think about.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: January 31, 2022, 11:13:52 am »

What made you decide to make seaside 2e after making the last 2e around 5 years ago and saying that there wouldn't be any more?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: January 31, 2022, 01:22:17 pm »
+4

What made you decide to make seaside 2e after making the last 2e around 5 years ago and saying that there wouldn't be any more?
I bet I mostly said "who knows, maybe someday, but no plans now." If not then I certainly should have; I have been taught repeatedly by the Dominion community that I do not know the future. Well really, I should have just repeated how that's not a topic I can talk about, because if I'm willing to say "no" then if I ever don't say it you'll know that it's "yes," and if I say "yes" then it actually delays the product coming out (since it can't come out until existing stock runs out) (existing stock ran out, we are just waiting on printing and shipping).

Anyway. It still sounded good when I abandoned doing it, but what can you do.

I was working on non-Dominion projects just prior to the pandemic. During the even-more-locked-down part of the pandemic, I could get Dominion playtested, so I worked on Dominion. I made some cards and then more cards and then I had an expansion. Doing this work gave me renewed interest in doing Seaside 2E. Mostly it was just that, but also, there were some cards that could have gone into a hypothetical Seaside 2E, that reminded me of it. I talked to Jay and he okayed it.

Vengil

• Scout
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: February 01, 2022, 09:35:22 am »
+1

Can we play with the cards removed from the second edition of Seaside on Dominion Online? Maybe with a check parameter to add them?

Lookout is my favorite card from this expansion (and maybe more again). I'm really sad for her...  :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:38:03 am by Vengil »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: February 01, 2022, 11:49:12 am »
+2

Can we play with the cards removed from the second edition of Seaside on Dominion Online? Maybe with a check parameter to add them?
That's up to Shuffle IT and TGG, but so far I think they both plan to continue supporting the removed cards. On Shuffle IT - again this is just my understanding and it's up to them - the cards won't be used for automatch, but can be turned on somewhere for special tables.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: February 01, 2022, 11:54:36 am »

Is it possible that we are gonna get more reserve cards in the future? They are my favorite type of card

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: February 01, 2022, 03:35:26 pm »

Is it possible that we are gonna get more reserve cards in the future? They are my favorite type of card

Can I re-ask this question but with a broader scope, are there mechanics that you’ve done in previous expansions that have been iconic of that expansion that you’d like to revisit? I liked reserve, travellers were interesting, projects, landmarks and ways are super interesting, are there mechanics that you would revisit for future cards? And are there any you vow never to do again?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: February 01, 2022, 05:15:00 pm »
+3

Can I re-ask this question but with a broader scope, are there mechanics that you’ve done in previous expansions that have been iconic of that expansion that you’d like to revisit? I liked reserve, travellers were interesting, projects, landmarks and ways are super interesting, are there mechanics that you would revisit for future cards? And are there any you vow never to do again?

Not happening:
- Potions - There are always people who speak up to say how they want more, but mostly people didn't like them, and they don't do anything essential for me.
- Hexes - They are just asking too much, horrendously slowing down games with casual players.

Unlikely:
- Ruins - You need to include 50 cards to handle 6 players. That's a lot to ask of an expansion.
- Heirlooms - Naturally there can only be 7. Of course I could add a rule for "what if there are 8 of these" in order to do more.
- Boons - I think they were worth doing but I should have only done say 5 cards with them. They weren't received well enough to want to try to find more to do with them.
- Artifacts - They sound fine, but it was work to get 5 I could live with.

The space for possible new Events, Projects, and Landmarks is not impressive. However any new expansion could also have some other new thing that adds some space, e.g. if Renaissance had had Events there could have been ones that involved the tokens or an Artifact.

Overpay is unlikely except that I could do like one overpay card somewhere. It sets you up to have a way-too-wordy card, but if the top can be vanilla then it could be okay.

A lot of the set mechanics can just appear in any set on a few cards, and have: victory cards that do things, choose ones, durations, $7's, treasures that do things, care about variety or provide it, when-gain, when-trash, care about the trash, split piles. Then there are mechanics that require tokens or extra cards or mats, which will only appear as larger hunks of a set. And well then there's Night, I would want to have a bunch of that in order to include rules for it.

I would probably put Travellers as unlikely, since they take up a lot of space, are complex, and are difficult to balance. And Shelters too. I would also expect very recent mechanics (like coffers) to not return for a while.

My personal vote for returning mechanics are Spoils and Journey token. Those mechanics only have 3 cards each, and if VP tokens had more life to them than Monument, Bishop, and Goons, why not Spoils/Journey.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: February 02, 2022, 12:11:24 pm »
+17

I actually tested some for Allies. That story has to wait though (we'll just put it on the mat until a future turn).

joefarebrother

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: joefarebrother
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: February 02, 2022, 12:13:58 pm »

Are card designs ever constrained by how difficult they would be to implement online?
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.