Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126720 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5125 on: June 04, 2021, 01:18:49 pm »
+3

So, after all these years... What is, in fact, the question you've been asked the most in interviews?
Probably something like, "how did you think of Dominion." Altenburger had me on a monitor at Essen one year, with people able to ask me questions, and there the most common question was, "do you have any games other than Dominion." Despite Kingdom Builder having won the SdJ already. But, interviewers don't ask that one.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: June 04, 2021, 01:19:33 pm »
+9

Are you currently working on an expansion, and if so do you think that it will be in time for a 2021 release?
Yes, I'm still hoping for a set to be scheduled for mid-October, but then sadly be delayed until November 3rd, as usual.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: June 05, 2021, 11:56:45 am »

Apologies if you've already said this somewhere and I've not noticed, but...

I'm assuming knowledge that Ways were on their... way played a big part in the timing of the 2019 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: June 06, 2021, 11:41:38 am »
+3

Apologies if you've already said this somewhere and I've not noticed, but...

I'm assuming knowledge that Ways were on their... way played a big part in the timing of the 2019 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks?
I don't think so. Dropping "from the something pile" was directly due to Horses. Changing e.g. Band of Misfits was because of issues with Band of Misfits. Changing stop-moving may have been affected by cards in Menagerie, but not Ways specifically. Dropping text from Bridge was probably inspired by dropping "from the something pile." The discard pile thing may have been due to a specific card, but not Ways.

Ways are like Enchantress, which already existed. I was sure considering them when considering rules changes, but I don't think they were the impetus.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: June 07, 2021, 11:05:17 am »
+1

How much are you involved with the Temple Gates version of Dominion? Answering rules questions? Testing? UI design or input?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5130 on: June 07, 2021, 11:26:49 am »
+2

How much are you involved with the Temple Gates version of Dominion? Answering rules questions? Testing? UI design or input?
I'm there, trying it to the degree that I make time for it, reporting bugs, offering opinions on the UI. Answering rules questions, sure.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: June 08, 2021, 08:29:56 pm »

Maybe you won't answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.  Will there be landscape cards in the next expansion? :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: June 09, 2021, 07:00:23 pm »
+8

Maybe you won't answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.  Will there be landscape cards in the next expansion? :)
That is in fact the kind of question I don't answer.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: June 10, 2021, 06:39:57 am »

Do you know when Intrigue 2nd edition is coming out in German?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: June 10, 2021, 11:09:22 am »

Do you know when Intrigue 2nd edition is coming out in German?
I don't. You could ask Altenburger.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5135 on: June 10, 2021, 11:41:22 am »
+3

I can answer this question. There won't be.

But there may or may not be landscape card-shaped things.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: June 10, 2021, 10:30:21 pm »
+1

While it wouldn't be at all surprising to see new landscapes, if there's a new kind of landscape, we're rapidly running out of colours...

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: June 11, 2021, 07:34:12 am »
+3

Don't worry, I googled it and there are over 10 million colours, so unless Donald X seriously picks up the pace I don't think we'll run out of landscape colours any time soon.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5138 on: June 12, 2021, 02:11:47 pm »
+1

Don't worry, I googled it and there are over 10 million colours, so unless Donald X seriously picks up the pace I don't think we'll run out of landscape colours any time soon.

Too bad there are 10 million different types of landscape things in the next expansion!

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: June 12, 2021, 05:23:22 pm »
+4

I can answer this question. There won't be.

But there may or may not be landscape card-shaped things.

Now Donald's going to make landscape cards that are considered cards, just to prove you wrong.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5140 on: June 14, 2021, 02:37:56 am »
+2

Now Donald's going to make landscape cards that are considered cards, just to prove you wrong.

My plan is working!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: June 14, 2021, 12:21:50 pm »
+5

There will never be a cost card; that would ruin the "so close to " thing that Dominion has.
You can't have an Action-Treasure card; it would be too confusing.
You can't make cards that retrieve cards from the trash; it's trash for a reason!

^Still somewhat convinced that Donald X designs cards by looking at what people say you can't do and saying "oh yeah?"
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: June 16, 2021, 05:45:50 am »

Can you give away any reasons for the parting of Rio Grande and the prior German publisher Hans im Glück? I only found this BGG News post by W.E. Martin. To me, the official statements imply that HiG made the first step by shifting their Carcassonne license to Z-Man. I remember RGG having some issues with HiG though, like them spoiling the Hinterlands rulebook before Essen 2011. Would you say this played a role, or were there different issues in the background? Or was it just something like a financial disagreement?

I'm sorry, it's probably not a nice thing to ask about business relationships, but I thought maybe it is okay now that almost 10 years have passed. Thanks for keeping on doing the interview!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 05:48:05 am by market squire »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: June 16, 2021, 10:13:31 am »
+2

Can you give away any reasons for the parting of Rio Grande and the prior German publisher Hans im Glück? I only found this BGG News post by W.E. Martin. To me, the official statements imply that HiG made the first step by shifting their Carcassonne license to Z-Man. I remember RGG having some issues with HiG though, like them spoiling the Hinterlands rulebook before Essen 2011. Would you say this played a role, or were there different issues in the background? Or was it just something like a financial disagreement?

I'm sorry, it's probably not a nice thing to ask about business relationships, but I thought maybe it is okay now that almost 10 years have passed. Thanks for keeping on doing the interview!

These all sound like questions for Jay Tummelson.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: June 16, 2021, 11:23:34 am »
+5

It was nothing to do with me or Dominion. They disagreed about money somewhere, I don't remember exact details. Someone thought someone owed them, the other thought no they didn't, something like that. I don't know who I would say was right if I had all the information. Somehow they reached a conclusive "this will not be solved" and stopped working together. Carcassonne did shift before Dominion, but it shifting was just a symptom, not a cause. At most it just indicated HiG being confident the problem would not be solved. Dominion moved to Altenburger, who had been printing it before for HiG. Later HiG checked to see if I would move Dominion to them, but RGG hadn't done anything wrong by me and I'm true to my school.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: June 21, 2021, 03:28:31 am »
+1

Will Gamble have its wording changed to "Discard the top card of your deck. If it's an Action or Treasure, you may play it" with the new rule about only being able to play cards if you can move them to the play area? I think the only card it affects is Patron
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:33:09 am by NoMoreFun »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: June 21, 2021, 11:49:00 am »
+3

Will Gamble have its wording changed to "Discard the top card of your deck. If it's an Action or Treasure, you may play it" with the new rule about only being able to play cards if you can move them to the play area? I think the only card it affects is Patron
I don't have to rule out changing it, but haven't given it any thought, and don't feel obligated. It changes other things, it means you can trigger e.g. Faithful Hound.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: June 25, 2021, 09:20:02 am »

Hypothetically, if Miser were not in Adventures, would you put it in Menagerie using Exile instead of the tavern mat?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: June 25, 2021, 09:21:51 am »

Will you ever stop doing expansions? Please no

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: June 25, 2021, 09:27:14 am »
+5

He stopped doing expansions after Dark Ages. Adventures, Empires, Nocturne, Renaissance and Menagerie are anomalies. (-8
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.