Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127241 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5075 on: December 22, 2020, 01:36:52 pm »
+3

Why is Ride called "Ride" (what one would do with Horses they already have) instead of Wrangle?
It must be the noun - you're acquiring a ride.

This is the kind of question that's really a statement. I don't mind but you know.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: December 22, 2020, 01:37:49 pm »
+3

Is there any particular reason that Way of the Mouse isn't limited to non-Commands just in case you make any or -cost Command cards in the future?
We talked about it at the time. I felt like, it would be great to not make any more Command cards, and if I somehow need to make another one, I can sure avoid having it cost $2 or $3.

Do you keep a list of the things you can/should never do because there are cards that assume those things will never happen?
I would if there were more of them. So far it seems pretty easy. And there are a bunch of people checking.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: December 22, 2020, 05:01:02 pm »
+1

Is there any particular reason that Way of the Mouse isn't limited to non-Commands just in case you make any or -cost Command cards in the future?
We talked about it at the time. I felt like, it would be great to not make any more Command cards, and if I somehow need to make another one, I can sure avoid having it cost $2 or $3. And then, the text doesn't fit on the card in the large font, and it's text I sure want to avoid where possible, it's a confusing thing.

It does seem unlikely that any future Command cards would make sense at a cost of $2 or $3.  They'd either be pretty useless or be way underpriced
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: December 22, 2020, 06:49:10 pm »
+13

We talked about it at the time. I felt like, it would be great to not make any more Command cards, and if I somehow need to make another one, I can sure avoid having it cost $2 or $3. And then, the text doesn't fit on the card in the large font, and it's text I sure want to avoid where possible, it's a confusing thing.

It does seem unlikely that any future Command cards would make sense at a cost of $2 or $3.  They'd either be pretty useless or be way underpriced

The exact same text as Band of Misfits, but costing $2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: December 30, 2020, 08:02:05 pm »

Costing $3, because otherwise it would only be able to play Poor House and Ruins

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: December 30, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
+7

Costing $3, because otherwise it would only be able to play Poor House and Ruins

I'm pretty sure that was the joke. :)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: January 07, 2021, 11:55:17 am »

What do you think is the most innovative single card or card shaped thing you've made? Is it still Rats?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: January 07, 2021, 03:35:53 pm »
+3

What do you think is the most innovative single card or card shaped thing you've made? Is it still Rats?
I said Rats was my favorite card, not that it was the most innovative card.

I think this question may be too difficult. There are cards that stand out for how novel they are; there are mechanics that stand out as novel, but lots of cards have the mechanic. Novel isn't really the same as innovative though. I don't want to just be patting myself on the back either.

I guess I can say, there is a Nefarious expansion twist that makes something happen every 4 turns. That didn't feel crazy novel or anything, but it ended up looming large; it was a lesson in how to shove strategy in people's faces. You could always plan for the future; that twist made it really clear that you could be doing that, to people who might otherwise decide that the game had no strategy.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: January 07, 2021, 03:43:21 pm »
+5

Did anyone else reading this get excited that Donald had just revealed the name of the next Dominion expansion:

Dominion: Nefarious

OK, maybe just me, then. :)  It did at least make me look up a new game that sounds like it would be fun to try.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: January 11, 2021, 12:30:49 pm »
+1

Was/is there any particular reason Horses need to be a non-supply pile instead of an additional pile in the supply?

Seeing that Ride costs $2 and Experiment costs $3 for two Horse-equivalents, seems like it wouldn't be bad to have them be buyable or gainable with gainers.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:32:55 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: January 11, 2021, 12:49:44 pm »

Was/is there any particular reason Horses need to be a non-supply pile instead of an additional pile in the supply?

Seeing that Ride costs $2 and Experiment costs $3 for two Horse-equivalents, seems like it wouldn't be bad to have them be buyable or gainable with gainers.

Well making an additional pile to the supply would be a much larger rule/mechanic change... non-supply piles are a very common mechanic used throughout Dominion at this point. Additional supply piles are rare; only existing in the form of Ruins, Potions, Colony, and Platinum.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: January 11, 2021, 01:47:07 pm »
+3

It's just the premise. The premise of Ride is that this game you can buy Horses; but the premise of Horses is that cards can give them to you. It's not that this game there are Horses to buy and also this card can give them to you.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: January 11, 2021, 04:52:22 pm »
+1

Well making an additional pile to the supply would be a much larger rule/mechanic change... non-supply piles are a very common mechanic used throughout Dominion at this point. Additional supply piles are rare; only existing in the form of Ruins, Potions, Colony, and Platinum.

There's also the Young Witch's bane
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: January 11, 2021, 06:03:21 pm »

I considered that, but I don’t see it in same same category as the other things... the question was about a new type of card that is specifically used in certain games and when it is used; it’s in the supply. The Bane just changes the kingdom from 10 to 11 regular kingdom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: January 11, 2021, 09:46:12 pm »

I considered that, but I don’t see it in same same category as the other things... the question was about a new type of card that is specifically used in certain games and when it is used; it’s in the supply. The Bane just changes the kingdom from 10 to 11 regular kingdom cards.

Ah, good point
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5090 on: January 11, 2021, 11:01:40 pm »

in the secret history for menagerie, you indicated there were other landscapey things you were playing around with other than ways/events - did they end up fundamentally unplayable, or just not fun, or, more nebulously, just not a good fit? any chance we could get a high-level explanation of the concept of them?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: January 12, 2021, 03:04:09 pm »
+2

in the secret history for menagerie, you indicated there were other landscapey things you were playing around with other than ways/events - did they end up fundamentally unplayable, or just not fun, or, more nebulously, just not a good fit? any chance we could get a high-level explanation of the concept of them?
I don't want to spoil them if I'm ever going to fix them up and do them, and I don't want to rule out ever fixing them up and doing them. They didn't work, but if I didn't know that they would still sound good.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: January 13, 2021, 06:16:59 pm »
+2

On the topic of landscapes, are there likely ever to be more landscape promos?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: January 14, 2021, 01:27:59 pm »
+5

On the topic of landscapes, are there likely ever to be more landscape promos?
It's possible. It requires the right timing; the landscape won't have rules with it, and wants to promote a current set with those landscapes.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: January 17, 2021, 02:23:35 am »

I am pretty into music.
were there any 2020 releases that you liked?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: January 17, 2021, 02:21:30 pm »
+2

I am pretty into music.
were there any 2020 releases that you liked?
It's much easier to know years later, but off-hand, highlights so far include
- Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
- I Don't Know How But They Found Me - Razzmatazz
- Mountain Goats - Songs for Pierre Chuvin
- Sparks - A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: May 06, 2021, 06:11:21 pm »

Amazing:
Renaissance, Menagerie, Empires, Adventures

Good:
Intrigue (revised), Base (revised), Cornucopia+Guilds, Dark Ages

Needs revision:
Prosperity, Hinterlands, Seaside, Nocturne

Not good:
Alchemy
That's about where I stand, acknowledging that for some players Nocturne is great.

If you had the chance to revise Prosperity, Hinterlands, Seaside, and Nocturne in a second edition let's say with minor text changes everywhere and removing up to 6 cards and adding up to 7 new cards like you did for Dominion/Intrigue...

Which of those expansions would be able to be moved to Amazing or Good or Great?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:04 pm »

Amazing:

Good:

Needs revision:

Not good:
Alchemy
That's about where I stand, acknowledging that for some players Nocturne is great.

If you had the chance to revise Prosperity, Hinterlands, Seaside, and Nocturne in a second edition let's say with minor text changes everywhere and removing up to 6 cards and adding up to 7 new cards like you did for Dominion/Intrigue...

Which of those expansions would be able to be moved to Amazing or Good or Great?

Donald X. once answered a similar question about what they'd do with a 2E on other expansions; I'll repost it here. It's also on the wiki.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/dpg1ty/what_cards_would_you_remove_if_later_sets_had_an/f5vtmpw?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Quote from: Donald X.
Seaside: Pearl Diver, Navigator, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Embargo, Lookout. The first three are duds; Sea Hag because I don't like having two cheap junking attacks in one set and would rather take out Sea Hag than Ambassador, plus some people don't like that it has no upside, just attack; Embargo is a dud but also I get to not include Embargo tokens; Lookout is fine but a lot of casual players don't like it. With any 2E I would try to make better versions of cards that left that had merit to the premise or flavor, and would try to get more use out of extra components. So here, I'd have maybe 3 cards that used the coin tokens, and a different Pirate Ship. I wanted to do a Seaside 2E; it didn't happen because Jay didn't want to ask Valerie if we could replace Harem and give her a new card in Intrigue 2E, and well Seaside has two cards depicting people, Pearl Diver and Navigator. Plus Jay had boxes of Embargo tokens sitting around. It still might happen someday; the usual problem is, it's competing with all other projects.

Prosperity: Trade Route, Talisman, Contraband, Mountebank, Venture, Royal Seal. Yes I'd keep Counting House as a narrow card that's sometimes fun. Mountebank would go for being strong and making the game less fun, the rest include some nice concepts but want to be better.

Hinterlands: The problem here is that mostly I want to tweak cards but keep them, which results in an update pack we can't really sell. So e.g.: move +Buy from Margrave to Cache; drop the Reactions from Fool's Gold and Trader; make Ill-Gotten Gains a $6 that makes $2 and Curses on-gain. There are still cards to replace too though: Noble Brigand (weak), Mandarin (weak, rare weird issues), Oracle (so slow).

Dark Ages: Rebuild, Cultist, Urchin/Mercenary, Band of Misfits, Storeroom. Rebuild makes games bad when you have a medium amount of enlightenment; Cultist is monolithic; Urchin is not really good times; Band of Misfits might just become the new one but it would make the update pack; Storeroom just to round it out to 6, I personally rarely buy it though someone would miss it.

Alchemy: Ideally this would just go out of print (it's unlikely to). I could rescue the best ideas with new cards in other expansions.

Mixed box: I don't think there are enough to do this one. Harvest is a dud. I don't enjoy the gameplay of Doctor. I might be able to make a better version of Masterpiece. There are a few more that a lot of people wouldn't miss, that could go if I had to replace more cards.

There aren't going to be enough for the later sets. In Adventures, I regret the giant mess that is Inheritance, and that Warrior can kill Warriors. For Empires, Overlord has Band of Misfits issues, and Encampment has an awkward uh way you deal with it, though people like it. For non-expert players, Nocturne has some serious complexity issues, but I can't just replace 6 cards to fix that; for starters I need to take out Hexes completely. Really it wants to be split into two expansions. For Renaissance I just want the cards to be printed with the right colors. If I were still working on it I might take out Artifacts completely, but I don't regret those cards, it's just that three of them didn't need the Artifacts and could have been simpler.

The promos are not impressive as a group, with some duds and some overpowered cards. They don't even have an expansion though, so they really aren't in line for an update pack.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: May 07, 2021, 12:22:03 am »

Amazing:

Good:

Needs revision:

Not good:
Alchemy

Donald X. once answered a similar question about what they'd do with a 2E on other expansions; I'll repost it here. It's also on the wiki.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/dpg1ty/what_cards_would_you_remove_if_later_sets_had_an/f5vtmpw?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Quote from: Donald X.
Seaside: Pearl Diver, Navigator, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Embargo, Lookout. The first three are duds; Sea Hag because I don't like having two cheap junking attacks in one set and would rather take out Sea Hag than Ambassador, plus some people don't like that it has no upside, just attack; Embargo is a dud but also I get to not include Embargo tokens; Lookout is fine but a lot of casual players don't like it. With any 2E I would try to make better versions of cards that left that had merit to the premise or flavor, and would try to get more use out of extra components. So here, I'd have maybe 3 cards that used the coin tokens, and a different Pirate Ship. I wanted to do a Seaside 2E; it didn't happen because Jay didn't want to ask Valerie if we could replace Harem and give her a new card in Intrigue 2E, and well Seaside has two cards depicting people, Pearl Diver and Navigator. Plus Jay had boxes of Embargo tokens sitting around. It still might happen someday; the usual problem is, it's competing with all other projects.

Prosperity: Trade Route, Talisman, Contraband, Mountebank, Venture, Royal Seal. Yes I'd keep Counting House as a narrow card that's sometimes fun. Mountebank would go for being strong and making the game less fun, the rest include some nice concepts but want to be better.

Hinterlands: The problem here is that mostly I want to tweak cards but keep them, which results in an update pack we can't really sell. So e.g.: move +Buy from Margrave to Cache; drop the Reactions from Fool's Gold and Trader; make Ill-Gotten Gains a $6 that makes $2 and Curses on-gain. There are still cards to replace too though: Noble Brigand (weak), Mandarin (weak, rare weird issues), Oracle (so slow).

Dark Ages: Rebuild, Cultist, Urchin/Mercenary, Band of Misfits, Storeroom. Rebuild makes games bad when you have a medium amount of enlightenment; Cultist is monolithic; Urchin is not really good times; Band of Misfits might just become the new one but it would make the update pack; Storeroom just to round it out to 6, I personally rarely buy it though someone would miss it.

Alchemy: Ideally this would just go out of print (it's unlikely to). I could rescue the best ideas with new cards in other expansions.

Mixed box: I don't think there are enough to do this one. Harvest is a dud. I don't enjoy the gameplay of Doctor. I might be able to make a better version of Masterpiece. There are a few more that a lot of people wouldn't miss, that could go if I had to replace more cards.

There aren't going to be enough for the later sets. In Adventures, I regret the giant mess that is Inheritance, and that Warrior can kill Warriors. For Empires, Overlord has Band of Misfits issues, and Encampment has an awkward uh way you deal with it, though people like it. For non-expert players, Nocturne has some serious complexity issues, but I can't just replace 6 cards to fix that; for starters I need to take out Hexes completely. Really it wants to be split into two expansions. For Renaissance I just want the cards to be printed with the right colors. If I were still working on it I might take out Artifacts completely, but I don't regret those cards, it's just that three of them didn't need the Artifacts and could have been simpler.

The promos are not impressive as a group, with some duds and some overpowered cards. They don't even have an expansion though, so they really aren't in line for an update pack.

Thank you, but that isn't the question. I'm aware of those ideas. My question is more meta-level -- how successful could these changes hypothetically be? For example, even though 2nd Edition came after Adventures, the thought is that Adventures is still better. Curious about whether that would be the same for other 2nd editions, or if the change potential is significant enough to elevate them up to the Amazing tier.

But you used "they" pronouns which gives me another question. Donald X, what are your pronouns?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:23:07 am by anordinaryman »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: May 07, 2021, 03:51:12 pm »
+1

Thank you, but that isn't the question. I'm aware of those ideas. My question is more meta-level -- how successful could these changes hypothetically be? For example, even though 2nd Edition came after Adventures, the thought is that Adventures is still better. Curious about whether that would be the same for other 2nd editions, or if the change potential is significant enough to elevate them up to the Amazing tier.

But you used "they" pronouns which gives me another question. Donald X, what are your pronouns?
I'm a "he / him / dude." In this day and age some people say "they" more broadly on the internet, because it's safe. And then they're used to it and I mean no harm done.

I think Prosperity, Hinterlands, and Seaside could all be sufficiently better that we would call them great. They were great in their day even with the duds. If the update pack is limited to 80 cards as previously, meaning 7 cards slots, well you don't quite get to do everything you might want to, but still, 7 cool cards replacing 7 duds (and a few overpowered attacks) is amazing. For Nocturne, the move is to make it two expansions - one with Night and Spirits, the other with Boons and Heirlooms (no Hexes). I think those expansions would be great too; obv. for people who don't like Night or Boons, well there they are still.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.