Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126841 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4925 on: April 04, 2020, 01:18:28 pm »
+1

The Basic premise being that it's a junker that only works if you have more than 1 per turn?
The premise being, the card alternates what it does, though it's fine that one of those things is Cursing.

Titus

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: Titus
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: April 07, 2020, 02:24:47 pm »

Did you ever consider doing some snowy-mana stuff like in magic? I wonder if this could work out, having cards that can do more if you can reveal another snow covered-card or whatever type. That could be other kingdom-cards of that type or even the first couple victory cards from the supply marked as those or simply copies of itself.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: April 07, 2020, 05:12:26 pm »

Treasure Map?
-The Compulsive Completist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: April 08, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »
+1

Did you ever consider doing some snowy-mana stuff like in magic? I wonder if this could work out, having cards that can do more if you can reveal another snow covered-card or whatever type. That could be other kingdom-cards of that type or even the first couple victory cards from the supply marked as those or simply copies of itself.
To some degree Potion is in this category.

In Magic you pick what cards to play with from a huge selection. In Dominion your selection is small (each game). So caring about a category is tricky, unless that category is always present. You either put a bunch of non-supply stuff on the table, or it ends up being, there's only one snow card this game.

Titus

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: Titus
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: April 08, 2020, 03:13:36 pm »

In Magic you pick what cards to play with from a huge selection. In Dominion your selection is small (each game). So caring about a category is tricky, unless that category is always present. You either put a bunch of non-supply stuff on the table, or it ends up being, there's only one snow card this game.

All right! I just wondered about possible snow cards, like;

Snoworkshop

Gain a card costing up to 4$.
reveal a snow from your hand; +1 Action

4$ Action - Snow

this is somehow specific, but an example that would work by itself..

Never the less, had you ever some thoughts about modifying the base card supplies? Not talking about tokens but cards!

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: April 08, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »

Snoworkshop

4$ Action - Snow

this is somehow specific, but an example that would work by itself..

Never the less, had you ever some thoughts about modifying the base card supplies? Not talking about tokens but cards!

I don't know if you've played with the promo Sauna/Avanto or the Empires expansion, but all of the split piles synergize in some way with other cards from the same pile: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Split_pile

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: April 08, 2020, 09:42:19 pm »

This could be an Heirloom too, depending on how easy you want it to be to set up.  Or five different cards could have the same heirloom.  Or you could somehow put your token on a Victory pile, and the benefit scales with the cost somehow.  Or whatever.  Lots of expansions you could look through by now.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:28 pm »
+9

Please confine homemade cards to the variants forum! And I don't go there and won't see them.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: April 10, 2020, 09:56:28 am »

This might be a dumb question, but why do kingdom treasures with on play effects say "When you play this" i.e. Venture?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: April 10, 2020, 12:25:18 pm »
+1

This might be a dumb question, but why do kingdom treasures with on play effects say "When you play this" i.e. Venture?
I wish they didn't. At the time - Prosperity - it felt like, people would need this clarified. I still may possibly drop that someday.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:16 pm »

I wish they didn't. At the time - Prosperity - it felt like, people would need this clarified. I still may possibly drop that someday.

Is there a reason you didn't change it with the second editions?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: April 11, 2020, 12:22:33 pm »
+6

Is there a reason you didn't change it with the second editions?
I wish I had! There's no more story here.

Vengil

• Scout
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: April 13, 2020, 08:57:57 am »

Why is there no victory card in the last extentions? I liked them! ^^
Maybe the next promo ?  :)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: April 13, 2020, 11:06:46 am »
+2

Here's DonaldX's thoughts on the subject of kingdom victory cards.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: April 13, 2020, 12:04:01 pm »
+1

Note that some of those ideas have already been done with landmarks. They "change your mission statement" in some way. Wall inverts gardens, for example, which is one of the ideas mentioned in that essay.

Vengil

• Scout
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: April 13, 2020, 12:15:25 pm »

It's interesting. Thank you  :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: April 13, 2020, 01:03:10 pm »

And why did the last set have no reaction cards? Wait, nm, it had five. If you see what I mean.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: April 13, 2020, 02:21:37 pm »
+6

And why did the last set have no reaction cards? Wait, nm, it had five. If you see what I mean.

Oh. I see what you mean.  ;)

Hey everyone, the next expansion is gonna have five victory cards! 

josqvin

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: April 14, 2020, 08:05:22 pm »

Thank you for the amazing game DonaldX!

In the secret history for Raider it says that late in the process the cost was raised from 5 to 6. Why was the card nerfed like this when it already would not have been a power 5 cost (or so it seems)? Do you have any retrospective thoughts on the design of this card?

Thanks!!!

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: April 14, 2020, 10:24:20 pm »
+4

Why did you change Raider from a cost of $5 to $6, and also change "4 or more cards" to "5 or more cards?" (From Nocturne's secret history) Was it just too good?
Letting it work twice is just too oppressive. It couldn't have been "4 or more" for more than one evening.

It was $5 until late in the going. We had some bad recommended set games where someone got it on a 5/2, and then we played some more games that intentionally had a 5/2 Raider, and then I upped it to $6. When you get it turn one, the Cutpurse effect - all it does for you then - keeps other players from $5. And they can't buy the Cutpurse to do that right back to you - the Cutpurse costs $5. It stood out as a thing that made players have no fun. I could have tried to make a weaker cheaper version, so we could all buy it, or just up it to $6, and well time was short and $6 seemed fine.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: April 18, 2020, 08:36:22 am »

Hey Donald, any thoughts on the new Magic set (Ikoria)? The ability counters in it reminded me a lot of Adventures and I'm surprised they hadn't been done before.
Are there any mechanics from Dominion you'd be interested to see adapted to Magic? (My first thought is Hexes)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: April 18, 2020, 01:51:50 pm »
+1

Hey Donald, any thoughts on the new Magic set (Ikoria)? The ability counters in it reminded me a lot of Adventures and I'm surprised they hadn't been done before.
It was more fun than usual to read the spoilers for it. I've fake-drafted it a few times (https://draft.cardsphere.com/) and well you can't see e.g. how the mutate stuff really plays out there, who knows. So it's not extra-impressive there.

Fallen Empires went nuts with counters and the Duelist included sheets of them for people to use. Fallen Empires was massively overprinted and people did not respond well to the counters. A few years later they decided, okay, the only counter they'd do was +1/+1 (and named counters that the card gives meaning to e.g. "charge counter"). And it's stayed like that for lo these many years.

The ability counters seem neat, they create all these simple novel cards, and of course online you're in fine shape. For play irl, we'll see how they go.

Are there any mechanics from Dominion you'd be interested to see adapted to Magic? (My first thought is Hexes)
I've done a few things ahead of them; dunno if they got them from me or independently. There's no specific reason to think they got anything from me, but it's also not impossible.

It's not something I've thought about, or would have; what I get out of Magic these days is reading spoilers and fake-drafting, and well seeing a Dominion mechanic there isn't going to do anything for me.

Magic just has way more you can do, and is mostly pretty different. There's some overlap in card-drawing, though that also is pretty different. I'm looking through the Dominion sets; I guess the stand-out for things they haven't done that would work well in Magic, is debt.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: April 18, 2020, 05:05:03 pm »

Magic has limited debt in the form of the Pact cards. But yeah, no reason they couldn’t have a keyword that just means “you can’t cast spells until you pay {cost}.”
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: April 21, 2020, 07:43:05 am »
+1

Thanks for the answers, I guess all we'll be able to do for a while is play online anyway (though I did just get Dark Ages delivered, pretty much just to look at). I'm enjoying fakedrafting Magic now, so thanks for that. Also, I just realised Energizer is a counters card!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: April 29, 2020, 02:07:26 am »

What's the main reason you opted for players not to be able to look through their discard pile (unless a card tells you that you can)?
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.