Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126803 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4875 on: March 16, 2020, 10:53:59 am »

Why does the Nocturne icon have color, while the rest are just black?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4876 on: March 16, 2020, 12:52:00 pm »
+4

I assume because if the Nocturne icon were black you wouldn't be able to see it on Night cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: March 16, 2020, 01:05:05 pm »
+4

Unrelated question, but did you have a reason for making the attacks on Sir Michael separate, wording-wise? I feel like it would've been simpler to say 'each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand, reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one costing from $3 to $6 and discards the rest. If a knight is trashed by this, trash this'.
Just keeping the Knight part the same.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: March 16, 2020, 01:05:22 pm »
+9

To look good on Night cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4879 on: March 17, 2020, 08:33:06 am »
+2

are you social-distancing quarantining? what are you doing during that?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: March 17, 2020, 02:09:41 pm »
+6

are you social-distancing quarantining? what are you doing during that?
Yes. It's not super different than normal; no walks, no restaurants. No playtesting; more time spent playing computer games.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:03 am »

Minor quibble, is there any reason for the lack of orange colouring on the top of the body section of Duration-Reaction cards? As in, the part next to the picture should be orange, but it's white instead. When I saw it on Caravan Guard I thought it was a minor mistake, but seeing it again on Village Green makes me wonder. Sorry for the paragraph, but was this indeed intentional?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

FrenziedHavoc

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: FrenziedHavoc
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: March 18, 2020, 10:27:15 am »

If Horses had come first would Experiment still be a card?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: March 18, 2020, 12:45:22 pm »
+1

Minor quibble, is there any reason for the lack of orange colouring on the top of the body section of Duration-Reaction cards? As in, the part next to the picture should be orange, but it's white instead. When I saw it on Caravan Guard I thought it was a minor mistake, but seeing it again on Village Green makes me wonder. Sorry for the paragraph, but was this indeed intentional?
That would be, a mistake on Caravan Guard, copied here and not caught.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: March 18, 2020, 12:47:44 pm »
+3

If Horses had come first would Experiment still be a card?
If the card had existed, of course it would have been the Horse version instead of also having a pile of Horses called Experiments. Whether or not the card would have existed is too hard to say; in Menagerie you can do it as an Event, which is different some ways but the reduced number of cards required would beat out any other preferences there.

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:25 pm »
+1

This is probably more of a Publisher than Designer question, but do you think they'll ever be a way to get physical copies of the 2nd edition changed cards and / or errata'd cards without having to buy complete sets?
There's no plan for this so far; I don't imagine interest would be high enough.
Two possibilities occur to me, though maybe printing issues would rule them out:
  • Make the relevant individual cards available through BoardGameGeek, just like promos.  Start by trying just one card (e.g. Band of Misfits) and if that proved there was sufficient demand, gradually work through the others, doing the ones with the most significant changes first.
  • Make all individual cards available postally from RGG.  That would also be a boon for anyone who has been cursed by damaging a few cards in a set, e.g.  by spilling a drink over them, and wishes to replace them because currently they don't have a ghost of a chance of not recognising the damaged cards when shuffling their dec k.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:54 pm »
+1

This is probably more of a Publisher than Designer question, but do you think they'll ever be a way to get physical copies of the 2nd edition changed cards and / or errata'd cards without having to buy complete sets?
There's no plan for this so far; I don't imagine interest would be high enough.
Two possibilities occur to me, though maybe printing issues would rule them out:
  • Make the relevant individual cards available through BoardGameGeek, just like promos.  Start by trying just one card (e.g. Band of Misfits) and if that proved there was sufficient demand, gradually work through the others, doing the ones with the most significant changes first.
  • Make all individual cards available postally from RGG.  That would also be a boon for anyone who has been cursed by damaging a few cards in a set, e.g.  by spilling a drink over them, and wishes to replace them because currently they don't have a ghost of a chance of not recognising the damaged cards when shuffling their dec k.

Well the issue I'd have with this is, say there are 20 cards with significant enough changes that I'd like to have them.  (and I haven't counted yet to know exactly how many there are, but this should help illustrate my thoughts). I'd probably be willing to pay somewhere in the $20-$30 range for these 220 cards. But $100 (as. $5 promo each) suddenly makes me less interested. So there'd have to be a way to bulk choose for a discount.

That's why my idea was a kickstarter. If it was known there was interest (and payment) upfront, it would be worth printing. And of there wasn't, you've learned that with less time / money spent.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: March 20, 2020, 06:10:47 pm »

Is there any possibility for a Dominion Legacy game?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: March 21, 2020, 01:06:00 am »
+1

What was the reason for making it so that cards Exiled from the Supply aren't considered "gained"?  While you were developing Menagerie, was there a point where they were treated as gained?
They/them

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: March 21, 2020, 01:28:42 am »
+5

Make the relevant individual cards available through BoardGameGeek, just like promos.  Start by trying just one card (e.g. Band of Misfits) and if that proved there was sufficient demand, gradually work through the others, doing the ones with the most significant changes first.
The promos are given to BGG, to support BGG; RGG just loses money on them. So, what you're saying is, instead of selling these cards, we could give them away. That's certainly technically accurate, it's another option we have not chosen.

Make all individual cards available postally from RGG.  That would also be a boon for anyone who has been cursed by damaging a few cards in a set, e.g.  by spilling a drink over them, and wishes to replace them because currently they don't have a ghost of a chance of not recognising the damaged cards when shuffling their deck.
This also incurs real costs.

Another thing we could do is, we could never change wordings on cards, just live with all mistakes, because there were people out there who wanted to be the reason we can't have nice things. We decided against that, we fixed some wordings and are not providing them separately. Take that, those people.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4890 on: March 21, 2020, 01:33:29 am »
+2

The Legacy premise was a good idea - bringing the permanence of RPG's to board games - but it's not a good fit for really anything I ever do. My games go hard for variety. That's part of what you get from a Legacy game. The permanence angle doesn't really give me anything extra, and if you really want that there are existing Legacy games to get it from.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: March 21, 2020, 01:35:01 am »
+4

What was the reason for making it so that cards Exiled from the Supply aren't considered "gained"?  While you were developing Menagerie, was there a point where they were treated as gained?
They were never gained (in Menagerie or Renaissance). It's not gaining so I didn't make it gaining. I don't want something to "count as" something else if I can avoid it. The cards could have said "gain it and exile it" but then a lot of effects can squeeze in there and make off with the card. So they don't.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4892 on: March 21, 2020, 01:57:58 pm »

The Legacy premise was a good idea - bringing the permanence of RPG's to board games - but it's not a good fit for really anything I ever do. My games go hard for variety. That's part of what you get from a Legacy game. The permanence angle doesn't really give me anything extra, and if you really want that there are existing Legacy games to get it from.

You ever consider writing a dominion campaign?

in example, no permanent changes to cards (no ripping up/stickers) but some of the deck carries over from game-to-game, winners start with Confusions instead of estates or something, there's maybe limited trashing one round, maybe another round focuses on a specific mechanic, the trash pile maybe keeps the same cards between games and later there's like a lurker or grave digger or something, and then whoever has the most points at the end of the campaign wins?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: March 22, 2020, 03:25:24 pm »

I noticed that Gatekeeper has its types listed as Action - Duration - Attack, even though all the other Duration Attacks have Attack come first. Was this a mistake?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: March 22, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »
+3

You ever consider writing a dominion campaign?

in example, no permanent changes to cards (no ripping up/stickers) but some of the deck carries over from game-to-game, winners start with Confusions instead of estates or something, there's maybe limited trashing one round, maybe another round focuses on a specific mechanic, the trash pile maybe keeps the same cards between games and later there's like a lurker or grave digger or something, and then whoever has the most points at the end of the campaign wins?
There were campaigns in the Goko / Making Fun version. I put a bunch of work into picking out sets of 10 cards and adding special tweaks for some rounds, not knowing in advance that the Goko versions would give the computer a huge edge to try to sell Zaps. There was eventually a version without that nonsense though. Anyway those campaigns didn't carry anything over. They just had sets of 10 cards and some unique set-ups or special rules. For example one game your deck started as 10 Feasts; for one set of 20 levels, your hand size was 6 instead of 5.

I haven't considered something like that where you keep stuff from game-to-game. It's a much bigger leap; the game isn't set up for it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: March 22, 2020, 04:24:14 pm »

I noticed that Gatekeeper has its types listed as Action - Duration - Attack, even though all the other Duration Attacks have Attack come first. Was this a mistake?
I think you mean Raider; Raider has Duration in front of Attacks, all other Duration Attacks have Attack first. Well I have news for you. There's a new set, and a card in it called Gatekeeper also does that.

It's just me thinking, what order should these be in, oh Duration should be ahead of Attack, and doing that. If I remember I'll change it in Adventures when the time comes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: March 22, 2020, 11:00:58 pm »
+1

You once said:

Today I would have you do the effect without Estate changing, e.g. you can discard Estate to play the set-aside card, leaving it there, and it's limited to non-durations (like Necromancer). That gives you "my Estates do this thing" but cuts out things like "they are Actions for Herald." And the Estates are always just Estates so so much for that.

When you made the Inheritance errata later, I think you explained why it still allows you to do Duration cards, because there was too much backlash against removing the ability to Inherit Durations.

But you also kept the way Estates become actions that can be played; instead of what you suggested before about having you discard the Estate to play the set-aside card. Did you try to make that version work? Clearly you can't just simply discard it, as that would lead to recycling the same Estate multiple/infinite times throughout a turn; but did you try other errata to avoid actually giving Estate the action type?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: March 23, 2020, 02:52:22 am »

Why did you decide to make Horses cost instead of costing like most non-supply cards?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: March 23, 2020, 03:01:32 am »
+1

Why did you decide to make Horses cost instead of costing like most non-supply cards?

My philosophy changed there, originally I thought "make them $0 so it's clear you must not be able to buy them," now I think "make them a cost that makes sense, so that they interact better with cards that care about costs." Except sometimes there might still be a reason for an exception, e.g. the Spirit Costs are all based on what Exorcist wants.

And then Experiment (which plays a lot like Horse) costs $3, so that's the cost that makes the most sense.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: March 23, 2020, 02:40:15 pm »

You once said:

Today I would have you do the effect without Estate changing, e.g. you can discard Estate to play the set-aside card, leaving it there, and it's limited to non-durations (like Necromancer). That gives you "my Estates do this thing" but cuts out things like "they are Actions for Herald." And the Estates are always just Estates so so much for that.

When you made the Inheritance errata later, I think you explained why it still allows you to do Duration cards, because there was too much backlash against removing the ability to Inherit Durations.

But you also kept the way Estates become actions that can be played; instead of what you suggested before about having you discard the Estate to play the set-aside card. Did you try to make that version work? Clearly you can't just simply discard it, as that would lead to recycling the same Estate multiple/infinite times throughout a turn; but did you try other errata to avoid actually giving Estate the action type?
A big thing about Inheriting Durations was that Adventures itself has so many Reserve cards and Durations in the "up to $4" range. IRL sometimes someone doesn't have very many expansions; sometimes they buy a set and play with just that set for a bit. Inheritance was going to be really sad in those contexts, if it didn't work with Durations.

A lot of discussion went into the errata for Inheritance, and I printed and tested multiple versions. I put in the hours, now I am resting. It's work just looking through the archives at every suggestion and wording. I don't think we tried "discard an Estate"; we did try stuff that didn't make Estates into Actions.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.