Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126722 times)

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4850 on: March 14, 2020, 11:21:26 am »
+1

Adding an "X" cost could work.
Masterpiece: Treasure - $3$X
When you buy this, gain a Silver per X spent.

Stonemason: Action - $2$X
When you buy this, gain two action cards, each costing $X.

The downside of this is that it necessitates the adding of another symbol next to the coin cost.

How would you separate that on Masterpiece it means coin while on Stonemason it doesn't?

Pretty sure this version of Stonemason just wouldn't be able to do Potion stuff, which would probably be just fine.

Since you already have to explain what is overpaying, maybe a keyword make sense (it doesn't look dominiony though):

Stonemason
Overpay X: gain 2 Action cards each costing X.

Masterpiece
Overpay $X: gain X Silvers.

Herald
Overpay $X: look through your discard pile and put X cards from it onto your deck.

Doctor
Overpay $X: Do X times: look at the top card of your deck; trash it, discard it, or put it back.
Who trashes the trashers?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: March 14, 2020, 02:23:44 pm »
+8

How did you decide which animals matched to which Ways actions?
I thought and thought. More specifically:

Way of the Chameleon - an animal that suggests shapeshifting
Way of the Horse - it's Horse!
Way of the Mole - they dig
Way of the Ox - they get work done
Way of the Pig - Enchantress
Way of the Rat - they breed like rats
Way of the Sheep - just a random farm animal really; you do make money from your sheep
Way of the Turtle - they're slow

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: March 14, 2020, 02:26:16 pm »
+1

Is there any reason for the lack of Duration Treasures, or did attempts at it just not work out?
By default they're trouble. The duration part has to be conditional on the card being in play, to avoid more problems ala Bonfire / Durations. It's doable, in the same way that Crown exists despite it seeming like there would never be an Action - Treasure (to be fair Crown does generate lots of questions). But, it would take something really compelling.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: March 14, 2020, 07:39:18 pm »

Is there any reason for the lack of Duration Treasures, or did attempts at it just not work out?
By default they're trouble. The duration part has to be conditional on the card being in play, to avoid more problems ala Bonfire / Durations. It's doable, in the same way that Crown exists despite it seeming like there would never be an Action - Treasure (to be fair Crown does generate lots of questions). But, it would take something really compelling.

What makes Bonfire with treasure-duration different than Bonfire with action-duration? Or do you just mean that there are move ways to remove treasures from play than there are to remove actions from play?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:42:19 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: March 14, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »

What makes Bonfire with treasure-duration different than Bonfire with action-duration? Or do you just mean that there are move ways to remove treasures from play than there are to remove actions from play?

I think (and correct me if I am wrong) that nowadays the separating line between Treasures and Actions is becoming more and more thin, with a card like Villa, with Gamble, With Capitalism and so on. So what is the real reason to make Treasure-Duration? It needs to be something that is really unique, otherwise it as well just can be an action. You can play an action in buy phase, you can't do vice versa, so making action-duration covers more ground than treasure-duration.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: March 14, 2020, 07:58:05 pm »

oh I mean of course you can play treasures in action phase, what am I saying

anyway

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: March 14, 2020, 08:00:37 pm »

Whether or not this is what Donald means, I think being able to remove treasures from play would be a big source of confusion. Bonfire is one of the only (maybe the only) ways to remove actions from play, and you almost never would want to actually do that anyways. For treasures, you might want to play Crypt, buy Mandarin, play Herbalist, etc...and some of those are things that you might actually want to do.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: March 14, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »

i think my point is actually "why invent more combinations of types if there is already perfectly working action-duration combination"

sorry, feeling a bit sleepy here, maybe i said some nonsense :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: March 14, 2020, 09:13:01 pm »
+1

Yes there are more ways to get rid of treasures. Bonfire is bad, it should just let you trash Coppers. If there are no duration treasures then it can work out having e.g. Counterfeit.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: March 14, 2020, 11:31:23 pm »

Bonfire is one of the only (maybe the only) ways to remove actions from play, and you almost never would want to actually do that anyways. For treasures, you might want to play Crypt, buy Mandarin, play Herbalist, etc...and some of those are things that you might actually want to do.
Don't forget mint! And procession also trashes actions from play, it just doesn't work on durations post-errata
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

flynd

• Swindler
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4860 on: March 15, 2020, 04:08:24 am »

Since cards not in the supply in later expansions have non-zero costs, are there any plans to update or errata the earlier cards like Spoils, Mercenary, Madman, and the Prizes to also have costs reflecting their strengths?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: March 15, 2020, 04:12:32 am »
+7

Since cards not in the supply in later expansions have non-zero costs, are there any plans to update or errata the earlier cards like Spoils, Mercenary, Madman, and the Prizes to also have costs reflecting their strengths?
No. My philosophy changed there, originally I thought "make them $0 so it's clear you must not be able to buy them," now I think "make them a cost that makes sense, so that they interact better with cards that care about costs." Except sometimes there might still be a reason for an exception, e.g. the Spirit Costs are all based on what Exorcist wants. But, that isn't a reason I errata cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: March 15, 2020, 04:16:09 pm »
+3

This is probably more of a Publisher than Designer question, but do you think they'll ever be a way to get physical copies of the 2nd edition changed cards and / or errata'd cards without having to buy complete sets?

I know the market for this isn't huge, but for those of us who own all Dominion and like playing in person, it would be great if there were a way to get, e.g.:
• Errata'd version of Band of Misfits, so we don't have to explain it every time to our groups (that are more casual players)
• +1 Coffers cards, instead of "Take a coin token", even when it makes no functional difference
• even trivial functional changes as Throne Room with "you may"

I wonder if something like a kickstarter could be a way to verify that there's enough actual demand for this before any printing needs to happen? (though we'll probably already get some idea on demand if anyone votes for this here)

The real challenge would be to figure out which cards to include as there are also lots of of cards that had cosmetic changes or non functional text changes. I would exclude those (except, as mentioned above, Coffers).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:34:22 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: March 15, 2020, 04:38:42 pm »

originally I thought "make them $0 so it's clear you must not be able to buy them,"
Did you ever contemplate omitting the cost entirely on special cards like that?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: March 15, 2020, 06:45:52 pm »
+2

originally I thought "make them $0 so it's clear you must not be able to buy them,"
Did you ever contemplate omitting the cost entirely on special cards like that?
I think he's answered this before - you can't omit the cost, or cards like Swindler break when they hit them.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: March 15, 2020, 07:35:53 pm »
+2

If it had no cost, then there would be no cards in the supply with the same cost.

I'd rather get nothing than a Curse if my opponent Swindled a Prize!

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: March 15, 2020, 09:27:56 pm »

With the new global rule that Costs don't go below $0, will future cost reducers (and revisions of current cost reducers) drop the "but not less than $0" clause from their text?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: March 15, 2020, 09:36:55 pm »
+2

With the new global rule that Costs don't go below $0, will future cost reducers (and revisions of current cost reducers) drop the "but not less than $0" clause from their text?

I believe that was the point of making it a global rule
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: March 15, 2020, 09:44:21 pm »
+1

Yeah, DXV said "New printings of the sets will have the new wordings" in the errata post, so I'm pretty sure that means new printings will leave that clause out
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: March 15, 2020, 09:49:22 pm »
+1

Yeah, DXV said "New printings of the sets will have the new wordings" in the errata post, so I'm pretty sure that means new printings will leave that clause out

Yes, I was aware this was kind of a softball question. :)

I did read the "New printings of the sets will have the new wordings" to be more the errata'd cards, but rereading the post, I also just saw he said this: "Two minor rules clarify things a little and simplify texts a little..."

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: March 15, 2020, 09:50:58 pm »
+1

Also, I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one card in Menagerie where that new global rule will be relevant.  We know there's two more cards that do something weird with cost, and the teaser has "$1 less per", so it's pretty likely that one of those cards will have a clause "This card costs $1 less per _______", and then no need for "but not less than $0"
They/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: March 16, 2020, 01:30:05 am »
+1

It's also two more things that will change. I wrote about the this in the presentation of the new rules document.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: March 16, 2020, 03:35:02 am »

This is probably more of a Publisher than Designer question, but do you think they'll ever be a way to get physical copies of the 2nd edition changed cards and / or errata'd cards without having to buy complete sets?

I know the market for this isn't huge, but for those of us who own all Dominion and like playing in person, it would be great if there were a way to get, e.g.:
• Errata'd version of Band of Misfits, so we don't have to explain it every time to our groups (that are more casual players)
• +1 Coffers cards, instead of "Take a coin token", even when it makes no functional difference
• even trivial functional changes as Throne Room with "you may"

I wonder if something like a kickstarter could be a way to verify that there's enough actual demand for this before any printing needs to happen? (though we'll probably already get some idea on demand if anyone votes for this here)

The real challenge would be to figure out which cards to include as there are also lots of of cards that had cosmetic changes or non functional text changes. I would exclude those (except, as mentioned above, Coffers).
There's no plan for this so far; I don't imagine interest would be high enough.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: March 16, 2020, 03:37:11 am »
+3

Yes.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: March 16, 2020, 05:40:01 am »

Unrelated question, but did you have a reason for making the attacks on Sir Michael separate, wording-wise? I feel like it would've been simpler to say 'each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand, reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one costing from $3 to $6 and discards the rest. If a knight is trashed by this, trash this'.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.