Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127031 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4775 on: January 29, 2020, 11:55:52 am »

Maybe this was answered before, but why is playing a card mandatory for Herald, but optional for Vassal? Is it just that "you may" doesn't fit in the text on Herald easily?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: January 29, 2020, 06:11:18 pm »
+1

Maybe this was answered before, but why is playing a card mandatory for Herald, but optional for Vassal? Is it just that "you may" doesn't fit in the text on Herald easily?
There's no story; I put you-may on Vassal, and there it is. I looked for discussion of that and didn't find any. I guess I was in a generous mood that day.

It was always you-may, but the first version left the card on top; a main reason to change that was, if you play Vassal and it misses, it's a bummer that the next one is locked into missing too. And if it's not an action, often you'd like to discard the card anyway. So, it discards it. I did not anticipate Faithful Hound, which is confusing there. Obv. it could have only discarded unplayed cards, to clear that up.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: January 31, 2020, 12:05:55 pm »
+1

What is your opinion on the existence of the wiki?  In particular, are you bothered by the idea that since every card image is available there, that someone could potentially "print and play" and play without buying a physical set?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4778 on: January 31, 2020, 12:50:27 pm »
+1

What is your opinion on the existence of the wiki?  In particular, are you bothered by the idea that since every card image is available there, that someone could potentially "print and play" and play without buying a physical set?

they'd probably spend more on paper/ink than itd cost to just buy the cards.

plus they could always just screengrab from dominion.games to get the same printable cards.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:00:54 pm by spineflu »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: January 31, 2020, 04:19:05 pm »
+16

It's fantastic that the wiki is there, and I do not even consider worrying about that. This has come up repeatedly; if someone say prints out a list of Events to play with without those sets, they aren't supporting me, but they're not stealing from me either. The people who want you to believe otherwise are evil.

dsplaisted

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: February 07, 2020, 10:41:47 am »
+1

I came across this Dominion Collector's Box (Sammler-Box): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081KCVDY9/

It's got space for 3000 cards, and comes with a base set of cards, all of the promos, and card dividers for all cards so far.

It's also in German.

Will there be an English version of this?

Thanks!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: February 07, 2020, 04:02:33 pm »

I came across this Dominion Collector's Box (Sammler-Box): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081KCVDY9/

It's got space for 3000 cards, and comes with a base set of cards, all of the promos, and card dividers for all cards so far.

It's also in German.

Will there be an English version of this?
There are no plans for an English version. Also as long as the promos are on BGG, Jay doesn't want to make them otherwise available; he gives them to BGG to support BGG.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: February 08, 2020, 08:37:31 am »

Woah - that's pretty nice. If it can't contain the promos, an English version without the promos would still be cool.

What's more, the organiser inserts for future sets would themselves make great promos!

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: February 10, 2020, 08:55:22 am »
+3

It's fantastic that the wiki is there, and I do not even consider worrying about that. This has come up repeatedly; if someone say prints out a list of Events to play with without those sets, they aren't supporting me, but they're not stealing from me either. The people who want you to believe otherwise are evil.

I like how the wiki allows for Dominion's long-term preservation.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: February 11, 2020, 07:59:05 am »

How do you figure?
-The Compulsive Completist

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: February 13, 2020, 05:06:59 pm »

You've probably answered this before, but do you ever look through fan cards for inspiration?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: February 13, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »

You've probably answered this before, but do you ever look through fan cards for inspiration?

Donald has said in the past that he actively avoids fan cards because he wants to avoid the possibility of someone attacking him for "stealing" their idea
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: February 14, 2020, 05:02:51 am »

No, except for when playtesters want to offer up something, which is to say LastFootnote.

Early in the thread someone asked this, and I looked at and reviewed a few of Buggy's as an example of how it would go. Any concerns about people thinking I stole their ideas aside, it's not especially fruitful.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:56 am »
+1

Donald has said in the past that he actively avoids fan cards because he wants to avoid the possibility of someone attacking him for "stealing" their idea

I, NoMoreFun, consent to Donald X. using any of my fan card ideas at will and waive any right to claim credit for the idea

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: February 14, 2020, 12:07:32 pm »
+1

No, except for when playtesters want to offer up something, which is to say LastFootnote.

Early in the thread someone asked this, and I looked at and reviewed a few of Buggy's as an example of how it would go. Any concerns about people thinking I stole their ideas aside, it's not especially fruitful.

For reference, here is that post:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg148774#msg148774

I agree 100% that looking at arbitrary fan cards wouldn't be fruitful; but I wonder if there'd be anything to gain from reviewing a community curated list (e.g. winners of the Weekly Design Contest).

(To be clear, I'm not suggesting you do that; just that if you were to consider fan cards, that would be a more fruitful way)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:47:05 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: February 14, 2020, 01:37:22 pm »
+6

Donald has pointed out multiple times that the fun part of making new cards is coming up with the concept. The testing and tuning is the part that feels like work. By picking up fan cards, he’s missing out on the fun part of his job. So he’s unlikely to do it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: February 14, 2020, 02:24:50 pm »
+6

We had 5 expansions with normal names, 5 with plural names, and now 3 with French names. Can we expect 2 more with French names? And what will be the name thing for expansions 16 through 20?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: February 14, 2020, 02:30:20 pm »

Two of the promos are „fan cards“. And given the expansion model of Dominion, that is the best slot for them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:43 pm »
+10

Donald has pointed out multiple times that the fun part of making new cards is coming up with the concept. The testing and tuning is the part that feels like work. By picking up fan cards, he’s missing out on the fun part of his job. So he’s unlikely to do it.
It's fun to playtest too, but yeah, there's no motivation for me to look at someone's cards. When it's a friend, the motivation is that they're my friend.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: February 14, 2020, 03:03:57 pm »
+6

We had 5 expansions with normal names, 5 with plural names, and now 3 with French names. Can we expect 2 more with French names? And what will be the name thing for expansions 16 through 20?
The French publisher stopped doing sets after Adventures. C'mon guys, surely you want these.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: February 14, 2020, 03:15:19 pm »
+3

It's fun to playtest too, but yeah, there's no motivation for me to look at someone's cards. When it's a friend, the motivation is that they're my friend.

Can I be your friend? :)

On a more serious note (and I hope this hasn't been asked before - there are almost 5000 posts in this thread), how do you pick playtesters? Do you ever seek out new ones? I'd imagine you'd want people of different levels of experience / skill.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: February 16, 2020, 01:28:01 am »
+2

On a more serious note (and I hope this hasn't been asked before - there are almost 5000 posts in this thread), how do you pick playtesters? Do you ever seek out new ones? I'd imagine you'd want people of different levels of experience / skill.
IRL, I play with anyone who shows up to play, except when the table is full of regulars, in which case I play with them.

A few times I have specifically recruited playtesters from the online Dominion communities.
- Initially - before the game was published - I playtested with people I knew from online Magic communities, and they stuck around for a while.
- I invited LastFootnote based on his endless posting and collection of Donald X. games, when I needed to playtest Prince.
- For Adventures I first invited people who I knew had a physical copy from one thread here, and had done well in a tournament from another thread here, which I think included Adam and jsh357.
- Then we were also able to do testing online with isotropic, so I could invite good players who didn't necessarily have a physical copy, which included Mic and Stef. Mic has actually done testing irl for other games now.
- A few years later I needed more, and invited Ben and Steveie King.
- Recently I invited Ingix and markus in a rules capacity, due to the errata. Ingix is more vocal and made it into the credits for Menagerie, but neither of them playtested it (except now, for the online version).

I don't let people invite themselves; I let that happen a couple times in the past and wasn't happy with how it went. And way back when there were people I didn't invite at all, and most of those did not really contribute.

Even if everyone is an expert, they will end up playing with non-experts; that will be covered. My biggest concern is having people actually play games and tell me how they went; some people are not chatty and well I want words. And some don't end up actually playing much.

It may be that someday I will be looking online for more external playtesters. I'm hanging out in these communities and I'll have some idea who I might want.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: February 16, 2020, 12:46:52 pm »

To me, it felt that Empires and Nocturne skewed much more in the expert-player direction than other expansions.

I'm just wondering: did the composition of playtesting groups shift between Adventures and Empires? Did it shift between Nocturne and Renaissance? Or was it just your different focus in play, with similar playtesters?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: February 16, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »
+4

To me, it felt that Empires and Nocturne skewed much more in the expert-player direction than other expansions.

I'm just wondering: did the composition of playtesting groups shift between Adventures and Empires? Did it shift between Nocturne and Renaissance? Or was it just your different focus in play, with similar playtesters?
Playtesters have changed, but I don't think that's what you're seeing. I think you're seeing "this is the 10th expansion, this is the 11th expansion." It's harder and harder to do things that aren't complex; all of the simple stuff is used up. For Renaissance I put in extra effort to have simple stuff.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: February 16, 2020, 04:29:16 pm »
+1

How do I sign up for playtesting the new expansion (the one after Menagerie)?
 ::)
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.