Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127179 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4750 on: January 03, 2020, 04:52:25 am »
+2

My question is... Are you ever going to make another mini expansion? Then there could be 2 mini expansions sitting on my shelf together.
I don't know. Ideally no, because people like large expansions better - hence combining Cornucopia and Guilds. But, I don't have to rule it out; maybe one day I will feel like making another expansion but only have enough good material or enthusiasm for a small one.

Also about the promos, there’s about enough of them now to form a sort of mixed up expansion. Would you ever consider putting all the promos old and new in an alchemy sized box. Because that would solve the lone wolf problem that alchemy is, without actually making any potion cards.
The issue currently is that RGG uses the promos as a way to support BoardGameGeek. They give promos to BGG and BGG sells them for a profit. As long as that's going on, RGG won't want to sell the promos. If someday that stops though then it could happen. This is just for English; promos have appeared in sold products in German.

This came up when we were discussing the current Big Box. It's Dominion plus Intrigue plus extra cards for going to 6 players. But it was a question, what exactly to put in the box, and I asked about promos as a possibility (rather than the 5-6 player cards). And Jay said, no, those are supporting BGG.

And I’m sure there’s not that many who would want to buy alchemy in a combined box, like cornucopia and guilds. Especially since it seems a lot of avid dominion players seem to be putting all there dominion cards in a briefcase like box.
It would be worse than pairing something else with the other half; there are always people who stand up to say, they want more Alchemy, but overall it's the least popular expansion. But, it wouldn't just go unsold if e.g. Alchemy were paired with Cornucopia, and those two are in fact paired in some other languages. Jay initially thought that would be the pairing in English, but at the time the Big Box in English had Alchemy, and I pointed that out and so hooray the Mixed Box is Guilds plus Cornucopia.

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: January 09, 2020, 11:47:40 am »

This has probably been asked a couple times before, but have you considered making Night cards a regular thing, like you have with Durations?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: January 09, 2020, 03:20:16 pm »
+4

This has probably been asked a couple times before, but have you considered making Night cards a regular thing, like you have with Durations?
No. Mechanics without much in the way of rules have been repeated since the beginning; Seaside for example has some choose-one cards and an action-victory card, just the expansion after Intrigue. Stuff with components has been limited to expansions that include the components, and stuff with lots of rules requires more of a commitment too. Night, like Duration cards, has very short rules and no components. So it would be easy to use again. But it wasn't as popular as Durations; there were people who specifically disliked it. And even Durations, with that tiny paragraph, carry some complexity with them, make the sets with them just a little less friendly to new players. I don't really want a second thing like that. Night still has a chance at being revisited if there are enough expansions, but probably just all at once.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: January 10, 2020, 10:50:38 am »
+2

If you wouldn't mind answering this, would you say Dominion: Menagerie is more like Renaissance in the sense that it's simpler and better for new players, or more like Empires and Nocturne in the sense that it adds a lot of new stuff and is more suited for experts?
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: January 10, 2020, 12:30:30 pm »
+6

If you wouldn't mind answering this, would you say Dominion: Menagerie is more like Renaissance in the sense that it's simpler and better for new players, or more like Empires and Nocturne in the sense that it adds a lot of new stuff and is more suited for experts?

Please include 3-5 example cards in your answer.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: January 10, 2020, 03:34:39 pm »
+8

I know, right?

What I will tell you is that design philosophy I put forth when talking about Renaissance still stands. I still think that Nocturne was too complex, that didn't somehow change. The things about it that I thought were too complex, I still think were. I still want the sets to be simpler; I still think I should only be using the large font. And I mean the blurb is still what I have to say about the set for now.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: January 10, 2020, 06:49:58 pm »

I know, right?

What I will tell you is that design philosophy I put forth when talking about Renaissance still stands. I still think that Nocturne was too complex, that didn't somehow change. The things about it that I thought were too complex, I still think were. I still want the sets to be simpler; I still think I should only be using the large font. And I mean the blurb is still what I have to say about the set for now.

Out of curiosity, what parts about Nocturne do you feel are too complex?  Because to me Nocturne seems like a relatively simple set - there's no landmarks, projects, tokens, etc., and only one thing (Lost in the Woods) that's equivalent to Renaissance's Artifacts
They/them

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: January 10, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »

What I will tell you is that design philosophy I put forth when talking about Renaissance still stands.
This suggests that, a year on, you're still pretty happy with how Renaissance turned out?

(If so, it's good news for me since Renaissance is one of my favourite expansions and I'd love to see more of the same. (-8 )

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: January 10, 2020, 07:30:19 pm »
+1

I know, right?

Out of curiosity, what parts about Nocturne do you feel are too complex?  Because to me Nocturne seems like a relatively simple set - there's no landmarks, projects, tokens, etc., and only one thing (Lost in the Woods) that's equivalent to Renaissance's Artifacts

I bet I can answer this one: the cards aren't self-contained.  There are a ton of Boons, Hexes, States, and cards not in the supply, and so in order to understand what one kingdom card does or can do, you often have to read the text on a bunch of other cards as well. (And in setting up the game you have to remember to get out a bunch of different piles other than the kingdom cards you've selected.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: January 11, 2020, 01:05:47 am »
+7

The most complex single element is the Hexes. I put some work into having a simple set of Boons, to make sure they didn't bog the game down, and then that all went out the window with the Hexes. They were attacks, they couldn't be simple. Instead of "oh so I shouldn't do them," there they are. We had lots of fun playtesting them; then at the release event I saw casual players interacting with them and it's just, every Hex shuts down the game while people come to terms with it.

As I have pointed out many times now, to fully understand what Vampire does, you have to read 18 cards. That's ludicrous, that can't be right. Vampire, Bat. Twelve hexes. Envious, Deluded, Miserable, Twice Miserable. Even Tournament, which is record-setting complex, with a 2x2 grid of results to understand, still has only 5 more cards to read.

The set has too much going on in it; today I would do it as two expansions. One would be called Nocturne and would have Night, Boons, and Spirits; the other would have Heirlooms and some other new thing to go with them. Probably only 5 cards would make Boons, dodging less-fun situations e.g. "Idol could get you a Boon that actually hurts you." And well those attacks would need to do something other than hand out Hexes.

The Spirits and other extra cards aren't a problem by themselves; I do think it's better if an extra card is either used by one card or by several. If it's one card you can just put it away with that card, e.g. Madman with Hermit, and get them both out at once. If it's a bunch of cards, like the Tavern mat, you can get that out and then have it the whole evening. When it's just used by Cemetery and Exorcist, you have to get it out special for that game.

Adding e.g. Landmarks doesn't compare to that stuff. You can just not put out a Landmark if you want, if this game has a new player or you're new to the set or whatever; bam, a simpler game. The basic concept is simple and most of the cards are straightforward. I'm not aware of any issues people had with Landmarks. The tokens aren't tricky either; they're fiddly, you have to go dig out the tokens. I am not thrilled with the variety of tokens in Adventures, because you know, oh this game we need Plan tokens, and you have to search through the pile of tokens for them. Fewer tokens, more use out of each, would have been better. But Coffers and Villagers and VP tokens do just that, the sets get lots of use out of them, you just put them on the table for the evening.

Nocturne was great to playtest; for a sufficiently experienced player, it's full of great stuff. But for sure it's too complex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: January 11, 2020, 01:16:50 am »
+6

This suggests that, a year on, you're still pretty happy with how Renaissance turned out?
I'm pretty happy with it still.

Artifacts didn't work out as well as I'd hoped; Flag Bearer worked great, and then the rest were a lot of trouble. In the end I also like Swashbuckler, but Border Guard and Treasurer were both artifact-free cards that were totally worthwhile, and now they're saddled with artifacts just to have artifacts somewhere.

There are a few other individual cards I might tweak today. This is always the case though. Overall it's great; villagers are great, there was enough good stuff to do to revisit coffers, and there are lots of nice individual cards. Projects are good times. The set feels way simpler than Nocturne, as intended.

The big problems with Renaissance of course are that the printer gave us lighter backs and the layout guy lighter fronts.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: January 11, 2020, 01:38:56 am »

The most complex single element is the Hexes. I put some work into having a simple set of Boons, to make sure they didn't bog the game down, and then that all went out the window with the Hexes. They were attacks, they couldn't be simple. Instead of "oh so I shouldn't do them," there they are. We had lots of fun playtesting them; then at the release event I saw casual players interacting with them and it's just, every Hex shuts down the game while people come to terms with it.

As I have pointed out many times now, to fully understand what Vampire does, you have to read 18 cards. That's ludicrous, that can't be right. Vampire, Bat. Twelve hexes. Envious, Deluded, Miserable, Twice Miserable. Even Tournament, which is record-setting complex, with a 2x2 grid of results to understand, still has only 5 more cards to read.

The set has too much going on in it; today I would do it as two expansions. One would be called Nocturne and would have Night, Boons, and Spirits; the other would have Heirlooms and some other new thing to go with them. Probably only 5 cards would make Boons, dodging less-fun situations e.g. "Idol could get you a Boon that actually hurts you." And well those attacks would need to do something other than hand out Hexes.

The Spirits and other extra cards aren't a problem by themselves; I do think it's better if an extra card is either used by one card or by several. If it's one card you can just put it away with that card, e.g. Madman with Hermit, and get them both out at once. If it's a bunch of cards, like the Tavern mat, you can get that out and then have it the whole evening. When it's just used by Cemetery and Exorcist, you have to get it out special for that game.

Adding e.g. Landmarks doesn't compare to that stuff. You can just not put out a Landmark if you want, if this game has a new player or you're new to the set or whatever; bam, a simpler game. The basic concept is simple and most of the cards are straightforward. I'm not aware of any issues people had with Landmarks. The tokens aren't tricky either; they're fiddly, you have to go dig out the tokens. I am not thrilled with the variety of tokens in Adventures, because you know, oh this game we need Plan tokens, and you have to search through the pile of tokens for them. Fewer tokens, more use out of each, would have been better. But Coffers and Villagers and VP tokens do just that, the sets get lots of use out of them, you just put them on the table for the evening.

Nocturne was great to playtest; for a sufficiently experienced player, it's full of great stuff. But for sure it's too complex.

Hunh, I never thought of Vampire as "having to read 18 cards".  I just thought of it as two cards - Vampire and Bat - and Vampire has an attack that's "sometimes really bad sometimes just annoying", and once I played it a few times, and got used to what the various hexes do, it seemed fairly simple.  It feels less complex, strategically speaking, than some landmarks and projects, even if those are generally pretty simple as far as knowing what they do (like, Wolf's Den is a really simple concept, but trying to remember "Have I bought a second copy of this card?" can be really tricky).  But I guess if you're the kind of person who wants to know exactly what the card does before trying it out, I can see how the hexes would make cards like Vampire really complex

It's too bad, cause the hexes and boons are my favorite part of Nocturne, and I'm kinda sad to hear they're not gonna be revisited.  Ah, well, there's still plenty of other fun stuff, and I'm sure whatever's in the new game will be great too
They/them

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: January 11, 2020, 03:35:50 am »
+4

Hunh, I never thought of Vampire as "having to read 18 cards".  I just thought of it as two cards - Vampire and Bat - and Vampire has an attack that's "sometimes really bad sometimes just annoying", and once I played it a few times, and got used to what the various hexes do, it seemed fairly simple.  It feels less complex, strategically speaking, than some landmarks and projects, even if those are generally pretty simple as far as knowing what they do (like, Wolf's Den is a really simple concept, but trying to remember "Have I bought a second copy of this card?" can be really tricky).  But I guess if you're the kind of person who wants to know exactly what the card does before trying it out, I can see how the hexes would make cards like Vampire really complex
Sure you just read Vampire and Bat; bad things will happen, you get it. But man. I had the experience, I played the set with casual players. We turn over the first hex. The game stops. Reading the card once wasn't enough, they didn't grok it. They have to hear it again. They take the hex for themselves and read it. Okay. They know what to do now, but still have to deal with it, it may cause decisions or involve a procedure. Eventually the game is back in motion. Next turn: another hex.

There are 12 Boons to read too, but it's a world of difference. You turn over your Boon. Gain a silver. Okay, done. There are a few wordier ones but they are not the problem the hexes were. And only one player has to read and understand the Boon, that helps too. (Sacred Grove: one of the cards to not do in my five.)

Strategic complexity is great. It's not a problem at all, I can have as much as I manage. Having to deal with 18+ concepts over the course of playing with a card is a nightmare.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: January 11, 2020, 11:59:08 am »
+3

I am not thrilled with the variety of tokens in Adventures, because you know, oh this game we need Plan tokens, and you have to search through the pile of tokens for them.
I store the tokens by type, not by player. We need Plan tokens? I pull the Plan tokens out of the organiser tray. Sure, I get all six colours not just the ones we're playing, but that's trivial to resolve.

I kinda assumed everyone did that. /-8

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4764 on: January 11, 2020, 12:39:11 pm »

I am not thrilled with the variety of tokens in Adventures, because you know, oh this game we need Plan tokens, and you have to search through the pile of tokens for them.
I store the tokens by type, not by player. We need Plan tokens? I pull the Plan tokens out of the organiser tray. Sure, I get all six colours not just the ones we're playing, but that's trivial to resolve.

I kinda assumed everyone did that. /-8

I did it the other way at first but quickly realized that was too time-consuming and switched over.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4765 on: January 11, 2020, 12:58:47 pm »
+4

Do you ever regret some of your earlier names for cards because a newer card that you came up with fits that name better? I'm thinking specifically with University being an apropos name for a card with the debt mechanic.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: January 11, 2020, 02:39:11 pm »
+1

Something I've only just realised: there has never been a Victory promo card.

Is there some reason for this, or is it just coincidence?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: January 11, 2020, 03:23:40 pm »
+1

I don't store them by type or player; I have a little hard candy container filled with chits. The expansion itself is in a long box like people use for Magic cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: January 11, 2020, 03:26:14 pm »
+4

Do you ever regret some of your earlier names for cards because a newer card that you came up with fits that name better? I'm thinking specifically with University being an apropos name for a card with the debt mechanic.
Not so much. It's a bummer that if I wanted to e.g. do those changes to Hinterlands, the changed cards would all need new names. And the namespace gets more and more full.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: January 11, 2020, 03:31:54 pm »
+5

Something I've only just realised: there has never been a Victory promo card.

Is there some reason for this, or is it just coincidence?
When Jay talked about doing a Power Grid anniversary promo, it was going to be a Victory card, because one of Friedemann Friese's things is the color green. I did Governor for Puerto Rico instead; I didn't have a good Power Grid tie-in. Later LastFootnote rose to the challenge, and we playtested his card some.

Aside from that it would be nice to not do one. It's 2 extra cards for a thing we give away, and people especially like Victory cards, why isn't it in an expansion instead. Of course most promos would rather be in an expansion.

MeNowDealWithIt

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: MeNowDealWithIt
  • Why does it say "Pearl Diver"
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: January 13, 2020, 11:51:25 am »
+1

Would you ever consider bringing back the adventures tokens? I feel like there's still a bunch of design space left there.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: January 13, 2020, 02:06:04 pm »

Would you ever consider bringing back the adventures tokens? I feel like there's still a bunch of design space left there.

The Adventures tokens aren't out of the question, but in retrospect I don't like how many different tokens Adventures has, it's annoying pawing through them looking for the boot or whatever. I should have tried to get more use out of a smaller set of tokens. But, with that approach, that kind of thing in the future is okay.

At least, that was the verdict on this almost a year ago. It could have changed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:08:32 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: January 13, 2020, 04:58:01 pm »
+6

I considered repeating the +$1 token for Menagerie, but didn't do it.

The Adventures tokens aren't out of the question, but in retrospect I don't like how many different tokens Adventures has, it's annoying pawing through them looking for the boot or whatever. I should have tried to get more use out of a smaller set of tokens. But, with that approach, that kind of thing in the future is okay.

At least, that was the verdict on this almost a year ago. It could have changed.
Correct, I might bring back a single token and use it on multiple cards. I considered this for Menagerie but didn't end up doing it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4773 on: January 28, 2020, 04:27:25 pm »

I have two questions about Nocturne, both about pile sizes -
1: Why 13 cards for Imp? I don't think there's another pile with 13 in the game at all
2: Why 12 hexes, rather than a thematically unlucky 13?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: January 28, 2020, 06:42:33 pm »
+3

I have two questions about Nocturne, both about pile sizes -
1: Why 13 cards for Imp? I don't think there's another pile with 13 in the game at all
2: Why 12 hexes, rather than a thematically unlucky 13?
I had the card slot; I could make it blank, that wasn't happening, or add one to one of the non-Supply piles. Adding it to Imp meant there were 13 Imps, which I thought some people would mildly appreciate.

That slot could have been a 13th Hex. Then the hexes wouldn't match the Boons, which I don't like; also the Hexes were hard to come by. In retrospect I wouldn't do Hexes at all.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.71 seconds with 21 queries.