Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127024 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4725 on: September 20, 2019, 06:50:23 pm »

There are very few cards you'll overwhelmingly stop at one of.
That's the sort of thing you could test with statistics. I am guessing that from the base set, Chapel and Moneylender don't often get bought more than once - but I'm just guessing.

Do you still design cards around 5 and 6 player games, even after the new Intrigue? My assumption was that there was a general acknowledgement that it doesn't really work so it was being phased out, but from the previous response, it isn't?

What % of players do you anticipate will buy an extra set of base cards so they can play 5-6 player games?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: September 20, 2019, 08:01:45 pm »
+2

Speaking of which, do you generally aim to design cards where the pile would feasibly be emptied in at least some games?
It's not a concern. It doesn't come up either; with 5 players that's just 2 copies each, and there are very few cards you'll overwhelmingly stop at one of.

inb4 Awaclus
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: September 21, 2019, 01:25:18 pm »
+2

There are very few cards you'll overwhelmingly stop at one of.
That's the sort of thing you could test with statistics. I am guessing that from the base set, Chapel and Moneylender don't often get bought more than once - but I'm just guessing.
There aren't so many playtest games played to really know what's going on from statistics, and well here we are despite that, it didn't work out so badly.

There are statistics on the discord (type e.g. "!stats chapel").

Do you still design cards around 5 and 6 player games, even after the new Intrigue? My assumption was that there was a general acknowledgement that it doesn't really work so it was being phased out, but from the previous response, it isn't?
I try to aim the game at 3 players, so that I'll get as close as possible to working well with 2-4. I don't want to mess up 5, but if I haven't messed up 4 I probably haven't messed up 5. I don't care at all about 6. We do support 5-6 with components though, e.g. 6 Tavern mats.

What % of players do you anticipate will buy an extra set of base cards so they can play 5-6 player games?
I do not anticipate a particular number there. It's also possible to buy the current Big Box to support 5-6.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: November 03, 2019, 03:26:41 am »
+1

On reddit you mentioned wanting to update some cards, but being unable to do so because RGG couldn't sell the product. Is there any chance you could bring these updated cards to the online implementation, similar to what you did with the errata?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: November 04, 2019, 05:15:50 pm »
+2

On reddit you mentioned wanting to update some cards, but being unable to do so because RGG couldn't sell the product. Is there any chance you could bring these updated cards to the online implementation, similar to what you did with the errata?
Not without them being physical too - the online game is the online version of the physical game. The online game could conceivably have a promo that couldn't be a physical card.

The issue with, let's give as an example dropping the reaction from Fool's Gold, is, that if we don't sell it separately some people will be mad, and if we do it's a horrible product, that most players would have no interest in buying. I haven't really discussed it at length with Jay. Obv. for online play it's great, you just immediately have whatever fixes. We move the +Buy from Margrave to Cache and it's nothing but positive, except for people worried that it causes trouble for whatever tournament that's going on right then. But we have to match the physical game.

Ideally people wouldn't get mad and I could fix more cards. We snuck a few fixes in on the grounds that they were important for some reason and mostly didn't matter (the big one is the Masquerade pin fix, but also e.g. "you may" on Moneylender). Dropping the reaction from Fool's Gold is a lot more noticeable.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: November 11, 2019, 02:52:05 am »
+1

How come that Projects, Landmarks and Events don't delve too deep into the realm of attacks/hurting opponents? (I can only think of Annex, Tax which hurts everyone alike, and Cathedral as a self-attack when gone wrong.) Which considerations played a role before dismissing landmarks like "Any player can discard a gold during their action phase for <Militia effect>"?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: November 11, 2019, 10:32:59 am »
+1

How come that Projects, Landmarks and Events don't delve too deep into the realm of attacks/hurting opponents? (I can only think of Annex, Tax which hurts everyone alike, and Cathedral as a self-attack when gone wrong.) Which considerations played a role before dismissing landmarks like "Any player can discard a gold during their action phase for <Militia effect>"?

The fact that cards like Moat and Lighthouse would be worthless as protection against such things comes to mind as one obvious reason.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: November 11, 2019, 11:17:50 am »

The fact that cards like Moat and Lighthouse would be worthless as protection against such things comes to mind as one obvious reason.

This is a pretty good reason. Masquerade is already kind of one exception to an "attack" not being able to be countered, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:34 am »

This is a pretty good reason. Masquerade is already kind of one exception to an "attack" not being able to be countered, though.

As is IGG; but I've seen a lot of newer players confused in thinking that they should be able to reveal Moat when someone buys in IGG.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:49:05 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: November 11, 2019, 01:45:41 pm »
+2

By Annex you meant Raid?

I tried to get attacks into the Events; I didn't so much for Projects or Landmarks because that isn't so true to what they are. Landmarks are about VP and are already interactive. Projects give you an ability and well sure it could be an attack, but that isn't where they were aimed. Events though sounded like a good fit for attacking.

One issue is that some optional attacks are political. There's an Event that Militias, in a 4-player game. I could buy it. The player to my right just bought it, so I'd only be attacking Kevin. Well, is he winning? Another issue is, it's not so fun to be attacked every turn. It happens naturally eventually if you have enough players or you can draw your deck, but I don't want to push that, I want to delay it. Raid dodges these issues by having the upside be conditional, and by being bad. It's not like I want bad attacking Events though.

I tried some other attack Events, including a Locusts attack in Adventures. They didn't work, and hey I didn't need them to. It was fine not to have any, and I managed Raid anyway. Attacks are hard, and Events didn't solve any problems they have.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: November 12, 2019, 07:55:46 am »

By Annex you meant Raid?

Yes, sorry. I am a bit uncertain about some English card names.

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: November 22, 2019, 12:16:22 am »
+2

I'm a big fan of Dominion, and have been amazed that the latest expansions have been some of my favorites (Renaissance, Adventures, and Empires are all in my top five fav expansions).  I think the main reason is that they all include "sideways" cards--events, landmarks, and projects.  These cards dramatically increase variety in the game because so many of them can be included in each box.  Any possibility we will see more new types of sideways cards in future expansions, or have all the good ideas been taken already?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: November 22, 2019, 04:42:03 am »
+6

I'm a big fan of Dominion, and have been amazed that the latest expansions have been some of my favorites (Renaissance, Adventures, and Empires are all in my top five fav expansions).  I think the main reason is that they all include "sideways" cards--events, landmarks, and projects.  These cards dramatically increase variety in the game because so many of them can be included in each box.  Any possibility we will see more new types of sideways cards in future expansions, or have all the good ideas been taken already?
The sideways card premise is pretty open-ended; there will always be a chance for more while there are more expansions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: November 22, 2019, 09:24:51 am »
+1

The sideways card premise is pretty open-ended; there will always be a chance for more while there are more expansions.

Have you or RGG ever had concern about people avoiding buying an expansion because it is super easy to play with any sideways card without actually owning the set? (The physical components act as a reminder; but nothing stops a casual Dominion fan from just saying "this game, we'll have Keep in the Kingdom" even if they don't own Empires.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:36:04 am by GendoIkari »

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: November 22, 2019, 10:34:16 am »

Have you or RGG ever had concern about people avoiding buying an expansion because it is super easy to play with any sideways card without actually owning the set? (The physical components act as a reminder; but nothing stops a casual Dominion fan from just saying "this game, we'll have Keep in the Kingdom" even if they don't own Empires.)

When I first started playing Dominion late last year, I thought of doing this for Empires. However, I really wanted the other cards in the expansion, too, and I thought it would be a bit too inconvenient if I wanted 2 events and 1 landmark out that weren't actually there. I thought about making simple paper copies or something, but I really wanted the rest of the set still. I'd say it's a fair reason you can't really do a "only sideways cards" mini-expansion or something, though.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: November 22, 2019, 10:48:30 am »
+1

I'd say it's a fair reason you can't really do a "only sideways cards" mini-expansion or something, though.

There's Summon. Do people buy less of Summon than other promos?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:56 am »

I'd say it's a fair reason you can't really do a "only sideways cards" mini-expansion or something, though.

There's Summon. Do people buy less of Summon than other promos?

Yeah Summon is a great example. I bought it because at the time I was still buying every Dominion-related thing that came out; but it definitely occurred to me that I could just as easily play with Summon without ever bothering to buy it.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: November 22, 2019, 11:58:18 am »
+3

I'd probably still buy an all-sideways card expansion, although I think it would be kind of hard to make a good expansion without any kingdom cards. Aside from the obvious points of such an expansion having a limited market, you wouldn't be able to play with cards from only that expansion, as you would need to mix in kingdom cards, which would need to be from other expansions.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: November 22, 2019, 01:37:27 pm »
+24

I can't speak for Jay but have zero concerns there. If you want to play with them without buying them, there they are in the wiki, have fun. Someone has to be buying the expansions for them to be a product; beyond that, well someone having fun without paying us doesn't hurt us at all, it just doesn't support us, and the people who want you to think otherwise are evil.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: November 26, 2019, 07:25:43 pm »

I'll bet there are even some people who play Dominion primarily with proxied Magic cards.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: December 23, 2019, 05:11:07 am »

Hey Donald, I have some questions!

How often do you play Dominion 'for fun' nowadays, or does it feel mostly like work? How competitive are you in those games?

In general, are there any sorts of abilities (Villages, +Buys, etc) that you would never play without (in a non-playtesting game)?

In my group everyone's far too polite and no-one wants to be the first to buy an Attack, while we love the mutually-beneficial player interaction cards. How important do you feel Attacks are to the Dominion experience? Do you prefer to have zero, one or more Attacks in a kingdom and do you like to ensure there's a Reaction when you have them?

Last boring question, even more optional than the rest:
Do you play with any sort of 'if someone didn't notice when I played Council Room and it's their turn, they've missed their chance to draw a card' rule? Do you often have experiences with people forgetting to do things (I find it happens a bit with Amulet) and how do you deal with it?

Sorry if this was a bit long!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: December 23, 2019, 05:52:43 am »
+2

How often do you play Dominion 'for fun' nowadays, or does it feel mostly like work? How competitive are you in those games?
It's almost always playtesting. There's enough playtesting to get in all the Dominion I want. Sometimes there's an event of some sort where I play some games for fun, but like, that's one or two evenings a year.

If you mean, how much do I win, I win my share. If you mean, how much do I try to win, I am mostly trying to win, but when there's a new card to playtest I will often feel obligated to buy it, see what it does.

In general, are there any sorts of abilities (Villages, +Buys, etc) that you would never play without (in a non-playtesting game)?
No, I'm happy to see random cards come up and have no villages or whatever this game. If I thought it was best to have a village in every game, that would be the rule.

In my group everyone's far too polite and no-one wants to be the first to buy an Attack, while we love the mutually-beneficial player interaction cards. How important do you feel Attacks are to the Dominion experience? Do you prefer to have zero, one or more Attacks in a kingdom and do you like to ensure there's a Reaction when you have them?
There are players that specifically like attacks, but for me interaction is what's important, not attacks; later Dominion expansions have fewer attacks but don't go low on interaction.

I don't ensure there's a Moat or whatever available. For playtesting I may want to test whatever specific interaction, and that could include testing an attack with Moat, but the intention is that usually there's no Moat, and then that sometimes there is one.

Last boring question, even more optional than the rest:
Do you play with any sort of 'if someone didn't notice when I played Council Room and it's their turn, they've missed their chance to draw a card' rule? Do you often have experiences with people forgetting to do things (I find it happens a bit with Amulet) and how do you deal with it?
For us it's the opposite. I want a good clean fight, with the rules followed; if you play Council Room and don't make sure everyone knows, I will be all over that, dude, you have to make sure we know about your Council Room.

When people forget something a lot, I look into fixing that, changing the card, getting rid of that issue. I am okay with the specific demands of Amulet though; we all remember Amulet.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: December 23, 2019, 08:12:38 am »

Thanks for the answers! I was wondering how you usually did set-up because we take ages picking and swapping cards before the game. I should make more use of those randomisers!

I supoose my last question on that subject is how do you choose which and how many Events/Landmarks/Projects to play with? I've seen you like to do a certain number of cards from whichever expansion you're testing, so do you only use Landmarks if you have Empires cards in the kingdom or something like that?

When making a new card, is 'what happens if I Inherit/ King's Court/ Prince this?' a consideration right from the start? Are there any older cards you specifically test new cards alongside?

(Also for the record I'm definitely NOT the sort to try to trick people with Council Rooms! And I think I keep confusing Amulet for a Treasure, but that's my problem)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 23, 2019, 03:44:00 pm »

Thanks for the answers! I was wondering how you usually did set-up because we take ages picking and swapping cards before the game. I should make more use of those randomisers!
I don't actually use separate randomizers - I keep one card from each pile in a randomizer deck, add it to the other cards to play, then return a copy afterwards. That way I only need to print 10 of each card instead of 11.

Usually I play with 5 cards from the new set, 5 cards from another set. I only carry two expansions with me (plus base cards) because they're heavy. And hey the set-up is a lot faster.

Some games I want to test some specific cards; when there are new cards, I put those out right away. Late in the cycle I'm testing recommended sets, so all 10 have been picked out in advance.

I supoose my last question on that subject is how do you choose which and how many Events/Landmarks/Projects to play with? I've seen you like to do a certain number of cards from whichever expansion you're testing, so do you only use Landmarks if you have Empires cards in the kingdom or something like that?
When playtesting a set without sideways cards, with another set that has them, I put out some random ones, and yes, only have Landmarks if I have Empires cards and so on. Late in the going I'll avoid some of the heavy-impact ones, e.g. Donate, because they make it harder to learn stuff about the other cards.

When playtesting a set that has sideways cards, they're a testing bottleneck, so I play with 2 every game.

When making a new card, is 'what happens if I Inherit/ King's Court/ Prince this?' a consideration right from the start? Are there any older cards you specifically test new cards alongside?
Not really. Mostly it's just, let's play with the cards, see what happens. I make sure the new cards are in games, but the other cards can be whatever, we want to see as many different things as possible. Sometimes I want to test power level against a benchmark; how does this trasher do against existing trashers. Sometimes interaction with a specific class of cards is an issue, e.g. "cost-lowering." A single card being a concern can happen, but is probably a rules issue not a power-level issue.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: January 03, 2020, 02:42:28 am »

Donald I have a question? But first I want to say I was first introduced to dominion a year before adventures came out. And the first expansion I ever bought before adventures was hinterlands. I love hinterlands it’s always the first expansion I introduce to friends new to dominion. I have all the expansions except renaissance and intrigue, my friends own those anyways. And so when I finally got around to cornucopia it had already been combined with guilds. And I’m not like other players, I prefer to keep my cards in the box they came in. And I always just keep the base cards in the tiny yellow bace card box. Even if that means I can only bring a couple expansions at time that’s fine, cause some other friends will also just bring a couple of theirs anyways.

But every time I look at alchemy, it makes me sad that it’s the only expansion still in a small box. If your not going to make any potion cards that’s fine.

My question is... Are you ever going to make another mini expansion? Then there could be 2 mini expansions sitting on my shelf together.

Also about the promos, there’s about enough of them now to form a sort of mixed up expansion. Would you ever consider putting all the promos old and new in an alchemy sized box. Because that would solve the lone wolf problem that alchemy is, without actually making any potion cards.

And I’m sure there’s not that many who would want to buy alchemy in a combined box, like cornucopia and guilds. Especially since it seems a lot of avid dominion players seem to be putting all there dominion cards in a briefcase like box.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.