Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186]  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 691946 times)

Jeebus

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +990
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4625 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:49 pm »
+1

e.g., my inherited estate is a certain card and your inherited estate is a different card

Or more relevant, my Estate is a certain card right before I trash it and a different card right after.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1231
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: March 08, 2019, 08:00:39 pm »

Or more relevant, my Estate is a certain card right before I trash it and a different card right after.
I don't think that's actually a problem. It's fine for Estates to change their nature from one moment to the next; I think the problem Donald X. is alluding to is, at a given moment, one indistinguishable Estate-shaped bit of cardboard having a different nature from another.

Suppose there was a landmark which said "whenever an Estate is trashed, until the end of the current turn Estates become treasures that give $1 when played". While that would be a pretty dull effect, it's easy to see how it would be applied and there aren't many corner cases.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +21529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: March 09, 2019, 01:15:18 am »

I don't think that's actually a problem. It's fine for Estates to change their nature from one moment to the next; I think the problem Donald X. is alluding to is, at a given moment, one indistinguishable Estate-shaped bit of cardboard having a different nature from another.
Yes, many things can cause confusion, but having two cards with the same name do different things is the most severe problem.

Jeebus

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +990
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: March 09, 2019, 09:20:14 am »

Well, almost all the rules confusion that has stemmed from Inheritance and Band of Misfits has been because of cards changing in the middle of a turn (which is avoided with Capitalism and Necromancer, for different reasons). Crj's hypothetical Landmark has the same problem with Transmute, Ironworks etc.

Holger

• Tactician
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: March 09, 2019, 09:53:15 am »

Well, almost all the rules confusion that has stemmed from Inheritance and Band of Misfits has been because of cards changing in the middle of a turn[...]
Would Inheritance work better if it was worded "(During your turns, all Estates gain the abilities and types of that card.)"?
It would make Inheriting most Reaction cards useless, but other than that it would mostly do the same thing as the original (except for when-gain shenanigans).

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1231
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: March 09, 2019, 11:57:10 am »

Would Inheritance work better if it was worded "(During your turns, all Estates gain the abilities and types of that card.)"?
IMHO, yes - much better. If you clarified to "gain the abilities and types, but not name or cost, of that card" it would work better still. The only remaining wrinkle I can think of is what happens with tokens on the Estate and/or Inherited pile.

(Though I believe Donald X. has already said if he was updating Inheritance he'd actually use the Necromancer trick. "During your turns, Estates are Actions. When you play one, play the set-aside card, leaving it there." or similar. That even clarifies the tokens question, and is more intuitive on the matter of the name and cost of Estates.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: March 09, 2019, 01:55:37 pm »
+4

It would make Inheriting most Reaction cards useless, but other than that it would mostly do the same thing as the original (except for when-gain shenanigans).
That was considered (first) and is no good. I Inherit Caravan Guard. On my turn I play an attack and you have an Estate in hand. It's a Caravan Guard! You react with it and now it's in play. On your turn you have an Estate in play and it's just an Estate, though you still get +$1. Or it's whatever you inherited (let's make it a Ferry'd Bridge Troll); either way it's a mess. I don't like even just, it's Moat and other players can Moat with their Estates. These aren't exotic edge cases either, they are two-card combos that people must do sometimes.

The Necromancer approach means yeeha with Death Cart but is otherwise great (and if I'm errata-ing three cards I could always consider errata-ing Death Cart too, which wouldn't change anything about it except for these interactions where it isn't in play). You don't get the joy of triggering when-gains but it's clear that you don't, and there's still plenty of fun to be had.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: March 14, 2019, 02:57:00 pm »
+1

A related concept to Inheritance could be a card that trashed itself. That way it could be Heir today, gone tomorrow.

King Leon

• Explorer
  • Respect: +265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: March 14, 2019, 04:02:23 pm »

So, I heard, a promo card based on a church in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany is coming soon. Is there already a planned release date?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: March 15, 2019, 04:01:56 am »
+4

So, I heard, a promo card based on a church in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany is coming soon. Is there already a planned release date?
There are two promos coming. Altenburger asked for two, one for the winner of a tournament (it was RTT), the other for the winning province - people picked a province and something something one of them won. Altenburger forgot about the tournament winner promo, but we didn't, so they're both happening sometime this year. I don't have more of a release date yet; there isn't art yet so they're months away. I don't know if they will come out at the same time or what.

greybirdofprey

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:26 am »

in retrospect I don't like how many different tokens Adventures has, it's annoying pawing through them looking for the boot or whatever
Am I the only person who stores the tokens sorted by type, not by colour? You need the Journey tokens for a game; you fetch the journey tokens. Especially if you spend five dollars on a compartmented plastic storage box, setting them up becomes trivial.

I do that. I didn't sort it fully by type (the vanilla bonuses are together, the ones with pictures are together, and the -1 Card, -1 coin, and +2 cost are together) but I still end up only having to look through three or four rather than all 10.

I use a coin album page with sliding strips, like this:

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +683
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:14 pm »
+1

For the "Stralsunder" part Altenburger dropped out of their ASS?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1608
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: March 15, 2019, 02:03:31 pm »
+2

I don't have more of a release date yet; there isn't art yet so they're months away. I don't know if they will come out at the same time or what.

But we've already got art for one of them.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5209
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: March 15, 2019, 06:45:22 pm »

Oh man, I really hope it's only going to reference the church by art. Naming a card after one particular building seems really out of place.

Holger

• Tactician
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: March 16, 2019, 04:32:49 am »

Oh man, I really hope it's only going to reference the church by art. Naming a card after one particular building seems really out of place.

In German, Walled Village is called "Carcassonne"  ::)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: March 16, 2019, 12:48:00 pm »
+4

Not anymore!

King Leon

• Explorer
  • Respect: +265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: March 16, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »

Not anymore!
Alright, because ASS Altenburger does not own the rights for Carcassonne. But this is not the first renamed card. Soothsayer was translated with “Wahrsager” (masculine form) first, but because Fortune Teller was already “Wahrsagerin” (feminine form), they renamed the card to “Hellseherin”. Yes, German job titles are weird and they became even more weird, because of the third gender introduced this year (2019). Bard and Wandering Minstrel are also swapped. They should have been “Bardin” and “Minnesänger”, but Bard became “Minnesängerin” and Wandering Minstrel became “Barde”. And it is too bad, that Dismantle was translated as “Abbruch” instead of “Abbau”, because traditionally Remodel variants end with “-bau” in their German name.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:33:27 pm by King Leon »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5209
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: March 17, 2019, 10:10:36 am »
+2

Yes, German job titles are weird and they became even more weird, because of the third gender introduced this year (2019).
That third option stuff is a legal thing, not a grammatical one. It's first and foremost goal is to make life easier for people who cannot accurately be assigned to one sex, for instance because they have two sets of genomes in their body, or for other medical reasons. Those absolutely don't come up often, but it means those people don't get in trouble with official documents and what not, and it's not like the country breaks by looking out for its minorities. It has nothing to do with how you are supposed to talk.

In fact, German nouns always have a grammatical sex, which doesn't necessarily imply gender (a "male person" is still grammatically female, for instance) so the idea that a legal gender introduced the need for a new occupation expression is malformed.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +683
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: March 18, 2019, 04:44:40 am »

And it is too bad, that Dismantle was translated as “Abbruch” instead of “Abbau”, because traditionally Remodel variants end with “-bau” in their German name.

Tell me about it.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.