Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126831 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4525 on: December 17, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »
+3

Have you ever considered or tested a stackable Enchantress effect?
It's intentionally not stackable. You can stop Enchantress from hurting you by playing with no fun Action cards. When Action cards are punished too heavily, casual players try that no-fun strategy and have no fun.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: December 17, 2018, 06:01:47 pm »
+3

Have you ever considered or tested a stackable Enchantress effect?

Village Idiot - Action - $5

Until your next turn, each time each other player plays an Action card on their turn, they get +1 Card and +2 Actions instead of following its instructions.
At the start of your next turn,
+2 Cards
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 21, 2018, 08:05:20 am »

About Patron - in most translations, 'reveal' hasn't been consistently translated using the same word (probably because noone expected it to matter). Have you considered this when designing Patron?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 21, 2018, 04:22:48 pm »
+1

About Patron - in most translations, 'reveal' hasn't been consistently translated using the same word (probably because noone expected it to matter). Have you considered this when designing Patron?
I don't know how consistent the translations are, but I knew it was a thing to worry about it, and we checked what we could, and as you can see I went for it.

If Renaissance gets published in e.g. Japanese and a particular card doesn't match, people will play that one wrong... which is probably fine. If someone knows that the English version says "reveal," they can speak up and verify this with a device they carry everywhere.

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:42 am »
+2

if you could play a game of giant Dominion where all the cards were like A4 sized

would you?

and if you could invite 2-3 famous people to play giant dominion with you, would you invite those people or would you opt to play giant dominion with your usual crew?

assume you can only play giant dominion the one time

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:08 am »

if you could play a game of giant Dominion where all the cards were like A4 sized

would you?

and if you could invite 2-3 famous people to play giant dominion with you, would you invite those people or would you opt to play giant dominion with your usual crew?

I don't even want to think about shuffling
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: January 03, 2019, 11:38:11 am »
+1

would you?

Are you Reggie Watts?

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: January 03, 2019, 01:38:01 pm »

would you?

Are you Reggie Watts?

after I read it over, I felt that it had a more Chuck Klosterman quality to it

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: January 03, 2019, 04:58:45 pm »
+6

would you?

I looked up what A4 is. Man it's just slightly off from eight and a half by eleven. What's up with that.

If e.g. when I went to Essen they had said, here are these giant cards, I would have been a good sport and played a game with them. I have no special interest in them though.

I can already invite famous people to play. The problem is getting them to come. Maybe the A4 size would do the trick, but man, it sounds like a long shot.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: January 03, 2019, 05:10:08 pm »
+17

(Digression: A4 is a sensible size of paper used everywhere except North America. Importantly, each size in the A series is half as big as the next and they all have sides in the ratio 1:√2. This means you can cut a sheet of A3 in half to make a sheet of A4, or cut a sheet of A4 in half to make a sheet of A5, and so on. You can also, for example, make an A4 rules booklet out of folded and stapled sheets of A3, which means life is a whole lot simpler for graphic designers and printers.

The reason the dimensions of A4 don't initially look sensible in either metric of US is that the area of a sheet of A0 is exactly 1mē. The area of a sheet of A4 is exactly 1/16mē.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:13:18 pm by crj »

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: January 04, 2019, 08:54:20 am »

I know there are quite some videogame-related charity events, but I have never seen boardgame-related charity events.
Have you ever participated in boardgame-related charity events? Would you?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: January 04, 2019, 11:32:48 am »

I know there are quite some videogame-related charity events, but I have never seen boardgame-related charity events.

They exist... my FLGS had one recently: http://www.gamersforcures.com/category/24-hour-board-game-a-thon/.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: January 04, 2019, 12:47:50 pm »

Many FLGSes also use International Tabletop Day as a pretext for raising some money for charity.

And I can't find the details right now, but I remember a big charity drive to bring boardgames to children in developing countries, particularly in Africa. They're social, they help develop all sorts of skills, and they require no electricity. (-8

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: January 04, 2019, 04:56:49 pm »

I was asked once, and I said sure, but they didn't work out how to get the signed stuff from me and then I guess forgot about it.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: January 05, 2019, 01:23:46 pm »

Is it a coincidence that no Potion-cost cards give +coin, or was that an intentional design decision?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: January 05, 2019, 03:40:33 pm »
+3

Is it a coincidence that no Potion-cost cards give +coin, or was that an intentional design decision?

You mean except Philosopher's Stone?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: January 05, 2019, 05:09:44 pm »

I wasn't avoiding +$. I was however trying to deal with "what if this is the only potion-coster," which led to a bunch of cantrips, which led to making "likes actions" a sub-theme. So if there had been a +$ action odds are it would have had +1 action too.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:22 am »

You mean except Philosopher's Stone?

(whoops)

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: January 07, 2019, 09:04:07 am »

Strictly, Philosopher's Stone is "worth" a certain amount of coin, rather than giving +coin.

Thus far, the difference is pretty subtle, though Capitalism has shown it is there.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: January 07, 2019, 12:48:26 pm »

Strictly, Philosopher's Stone is "worth" a certain amount of coin, rather than giving +coin.

Thus far, the difference is pretty subtle, though Capitalism has shown it is there.

The distinction is inconsequential for Capitalism, because it doesn't affect any cards "worth" something anyhow. It exists on Diadem when looking at its numerical value vs. its actual value, however if you imagined Diadem to say "?" instead of "2" in its top corners, you will find that to date there is no way to make this meaningful. In fact, that's exactly what the online version of the game does.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: January 07, 2019, 01:04:58 pm »
+3

The distinction is inconsequential for Capitalism, because it doesn't affect any cards "worth" something anyhow.

I'm confused; the the fact that Capitalism doesn't affect any cards "worth" something is exactly why IS consequential. Now, it ends up being inconsequential because Philosopher's Stone is a Treasure, not an Action. But crj's point was that Capitalism cares about the difference between "+" and "worth ".

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: January 07, 2019, 01:53:26 pm »
+1

The distinction is inconsequential for Capitalism, because it doesn't affect any cards "worth" something anyhow.

I'm confused; the the fact that Capitalism doesn't affect any cards "worth" something is exactly why IS consequential. Now, it ends up being inconsequential because Philosopher's Stone is a Treasure, not an Action. But crj's point was that Capitalism cares about the difference between "+" and "worth ".

That's my point. Capitalism doesn't care about Treasures. Therefore, it is unaware of the distinction.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:54:43 pm by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: January 07, 2019, 02:13:42 pm »
+1

That's my point. Capitalism doesn't care about Treasures. Therefore, it is unaware of the distinction.

Ah, the issue here was 2 different ways to read "because it doesn't affect any cards 'worth' something anyhow." I read it as "it only cares about '+'; it doesn't care about 'worth '." But I see now you meant it as "in the set of things it cares about, none of them say 'worth '."

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: January 07, 2019, 02:29:08 pm »
+1

"Worth $x" will only ever exist on Treasures, because it's a way of referring to the coin value on Treasures (like the "$2" on Silver). So the way this is phrased is irrelevant for Capitalism.

Actually, it has been somewhat inconcistent. Coppersmith says "produce"; Envious says "make"; lately Treasures like Charm and Scepter use the Action card terminology "+$x". I suspect if Philosopher's Stone, Bank and Fool's Gold were made today, they would also say "+$x" instead of "worth".

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: January 07, 2019, 05:26:41 pm »

Philosopher's Stone said "worth" because it was sneaking in ahead of Prosperity, so I didn't have "when you play this" Treasures yet. Then a few cards got in on that wording.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.