Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126977 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4450 on: November 13, 2018, 03:11:26 am »
+3

Well I pace a lot.
Is that pace as in take things slowly, or pace as in walk around the room?
Walk around the room.
At what pace do you pace? Do you pace your pacing, or are your paces unpaced?
It's not the case that it's a race or a chase. I just pace in the space at my place.

I didn't know you could write like Doc Seuss
I didn't know your words flow so loose
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4451 on: November 13, 2018, 09:22:09 am »

Now I want to see a rhyming Dominion expansion!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: November 13, 2018, 09:31:19 am »
+5

Now I want to see a rhyming Dominion expansion!

Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker?
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: November 20, 2018, 12:03:54 am »

Why were Priest and Inventor worded such that their effects don't apply to their  first play? I.e why isn't Inventor " Cards cost $1 less. Gain a card costing up to $3"

Also why aren't they "while this is in play" effects?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: November 20, 2018, 12:14:01 am »
+1

Why were Priest and Inventor worded such that their effects don't apply to their  first play? I.e why isn't Inventor " Cards cost $1 less. Gain a card costing up to $3"

Also why aren't they "while this is in play" effects?
Both things are for simplicity. Doing the math for you is simpler than not doing it for you. For a bit there I favored "while in play" but now I think people find it more confusing than "this turn."

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: November 20, 2018, 08:56:45 am »

Do you ever playtest with people from other cultures?

I sometimes see you say playtesters preferred A to B, when I prefer B to A, and wonder if my being British has anything to do with it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: November 20, 2018, 05:01:59 pm »
+2

Do you ever playtest with people from other cultures?

I sometimes see you say playtesters preferred A to B, when I prefer B to A, and wonder if my being British has anything to do with it.
I also preferred B. Man, what's up with those guys.

I don't know if there's any cultural bias towards particular kinds of things in Dominion cards. It's an area ripe for study. My playtesters have mostly been American mutts. For Adventures we had isotropic and a few of the online playtesters were Europeans, e.g. Stef, Qvist. A Finnish guy playtested some on my bad online version in the very early days. IRL once in a while a non-US-born Asian person or couple joins my table.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: November 21, 2018, 11:40:32 am »

Have you head of/played Artifact (the online TCG Valve is coming out with, designed by Richard Garfield)?

If so, what's your opinion?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: November 21, 2018, 05:07:44 pm »
+1

Have you head of/played Artifact (the online TCG Valve is coming out with, designed by Richard Garfield)?

If so, what's your opinion?
I have not played it. Looking at it now, my first thought is that it sounds like Spectromancer (which you could try now if you wanted on a flash games website; I did like it); my second is hey I think Sir Vander talked to me about this. The big thing I remember is, unlike Magic, he felt like you were never just in control of the game (mentioned as something interesting about it).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:26:25 pm by Donald X. »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: November 27, 2018, 02:32:40 am »

Question about design consideration:
If there was a card that is not in the supply nor next to it, and that still consisted of only one differently named card, would the card still need a unique type? For instance, would one differently named Zombie card need it, or would three identical Shelter cards do?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: November 27, 2018, 03:32:09 am »
+4

If there was a card that is not in the supply nor next to it, and that still consisted of only one differently named card, would the card still need a unique type? For instance, would one differently named Zombie card need it, or would three identical Shelter cards do?
That isn't how types are used. Zombie is there so that Necromancer can refer to the type; there's a certain niceness to having this tag to refer to the cards by, but of course we could call them Zombies from the names alone. The Spirits have that type for Exorcist; Wish doesn't have such a use and is just an Action.

So, I mean with no other information, any random unique card has no special type requirements.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: November 27, 2018, 04:26:34 am »

That isn't how types are used. Zombie is there so that Necromancer can refer to the type; there's a certain niceness to having this tag to refer to the cards by, but of course we could call them Zombies from the names alone. The Spirits have that type for Exorcist; Wish doesn't have such a use and is just an Action.

So, I mean with no other information, any random unique card has no special type requirements.

Awesome, thank you for taking the time  :D

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: November 28, 2018, 05:39:40 pm »

In one topic you mention the 6 cards that would be replaced if Seaside got upgraded. Have you made lists like that for other expansions?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: November 29, 2018, 01:23:29 am »
+5

In one topic you mention the 6 cards that would be replaced if Seaside got upgraded. Have you made lists like that for other expansions?
No. Well, there's a post from a few years back where I go over things I'd change about expansions, but it didn't specifically consider the update pack scenario, and so was card changes that I can't actually make. When doing the new cards for the main set and Intrigue, it was a question, what about Seaside, and I thought a little about what I'd do. Prosperity could also improve, but Seaside needed it more and couldn't get it, so I didn't worry about Prosperity.

Alchemy just wouldn't be worth the effort; I could spend months getting a nice large set out of it - changing too much to have an update pack - that some people beg for but which many would automatically have no interest in. It is trivial to find a better project than this.

For Hinterlands the changes I want are trouble, they mostly involve making cards slightly worse, and I can't just make the simplified/weaker versions because the update pack that would have to exist would be a truly awful product. I don't want to replace the cards with new ones but that's the best I could do.

And then, Mixed Box and Dark Ages don't have so much to fix. Well overpay is too wordy of a mechanic but uh replacing it completely doesn't sound like a good project when whatever it was could go into a new expansion instead.

One thing I didn't consider at the time that might have been possible is a mixed update pack - seven new cards that were spread around between expansions. I haven't put in any work there either, I just see now that it might have been an option.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: November 29, 2018, 05:45:58 am »
+2

No. Well, there's a post from a few years back where I go over things I'd change about expansions, but it didn't specifically consider the update pack scenario, and so was card changes that I can't actually make. When doing the new cards for the main set and Intrigue, it was a question, what about Seaside, and I thought a little about what I'd do. Prosperity could also improve, but Seaside needed it more and couldn't get it, so I didn't worry about Prosperity.

Alchemy just wouldn't be worth the effort; I could spend months getting a nice large set out of it - changing too much to have an update pack - that some people beg for but which many would automatically have no interest in. It is trivial to find a better project than this.

For Hinterlands the changes I want are trouble, they mostly involve making cards slightly worse, and I can't just make the simplified/weaker versions because the update pack that would have to exist would be a truly awful product. I don't want to replace the cards with new ones but that's the best I could do.

And then, Mixed Box and Dark Ages don't have so much to fix. Well overpay is too wordy of a mechanic but uh replacing it completely doesn't sound like a good project when whatever it was could go into a new expansion instead.

One thing I didn't consider at the time that might have been possible is a mixed update pack - seven new cards that were spread around between expansions. I haven't put in any work there either, I just see now that it might have been an option.

I'd buy that mixed update pack in a heartbeat (and I also hope that it would include a list of cards you would remove, had these new cards been released as part of 2nd edition versions of their respective expansions).

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:27 am »

I'd buy that mixed update pack in a heartbeat (and I also hope that it would include a list of cards you would remove, had these new cards been released as part of 2nd edition versions of their respective expansions).

Me too.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: November 29, 2018, 10:54:25 am »
+1

Unless you were sure people would remove the cards you "replaced", wouldn't that be a miniature version of the treasure-chest expansion people often clamour for?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: November 29, 2018, 11:07:19 am »
+7

Unless you were sure people would remove the cards you "replaced", wouldn't that be a miniature version of the treasure-chest expansion people often clamour for?

Included in every box is a tiny smart incendiary device that seeks out and destroys the removed cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: November 29, 2018, 05:20:14 pm »
+4

New printings of the various expansions would have the replacements. That's the whole idea; the update pack would just be so you didn't have to buy all the expansions to get the replacements.

Also the cards wouldn't specifically be trying to be a treasure chest; they wouldn't have to get in any particular mechanics.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: November 30, 2018, 07:50:43 am »

Hi Donald!

I've been wondering for some time: Is Dominion Online something you could consider a spinoff interesting enough to do something special for? I'm not talking about new cards really, you haver answered that before, but rather things like tweaks that smooths the online play experience and maybe sideway cards that perhaps only is relevant to have in an online, competitive, environment? Is it something you could see yourself enjoying working on future on?

Also: Have you entertained thoughts on doing some very niched Dominion expansions, biased to a certain element in the game? I realise that there is a money factor there, a niched expansion will have fewer fans, but if enough interest is granted: Would it be fun for you to do, say, a very swingy expansion or an extremely player interaction/attacky one? (Could of course focus on other themes, only mentioned things I could see myself really be hyped about)
S

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: November 30, 2018, 07:14:37 pm »

I've been wondering for some time: Is Dominion Online something you could consider a spinoff interesting enough to do something special for? I'm not talking about new cards really, you haver answered that before, but rather things like tweaks that smooths the online play experience and maybe sideway cards that perhaps only is relevant to have in an online, competitive, environment? Is it something you could see yourself enjoying working on future on?
The idea is to keep online Dominion as an implementation of the physical game, that promotes the physical game without e.g. teaching you rules that will be wrong there.

I don't need to rule out extra online content. There were the campaigns and their special rules before.

Also: Have you entertained thoughts on doing some very niched Dominion expansions, biased to a certain element in the game? I realise that there is a money factor there, a niched expansion will have fewer fans, but if enough interest is granted: Would it be fun for you to do, say, a very swingy expansion or an extremely player interaction/attacky one? (Could of course focus on other themes, only mentioned things I could see myself really be hyped about)
I feel like Dominion itself is niche enough to not do something nicher.

There was a player interaction heavy set where Dark Ages is, but I stole cards from it for other sets because all sets needed those cards. I wouldn't call it niche; it was great. An extra-attacky set seems counter to what most players want.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: November 30, 2018, 11:18:12 pm »

Why does Improve only work on Actions and not Treasures?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:24 pm »
+3

With the "exactly" clause, working on treasures would make it way stronger, as it becomes an already-spent Copper-trasher.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: December 01, 2018, 02:41:21 am »
+4

With the "exactly" clause, working on treasures would make it way stronger, as it becomes an already-spent Copper-trasher.
Yes; the whole idea was to make something that gave you some of the fun Procession does. "Exactly" goes that direction and then it's a much different card if it can trash Copper.

Įguia Branca

• Steward
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: December 02, 2018, 04:55:26 am »

Why can't Miser reserve non-Copper treasures?
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.