Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126809 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4400 on: October 26, 2018, 01:51:04 pm »
+1

Hi, I checked the secret history but it didn't quite answer it for me. Why is Seaway different than Pathfinder, Training and Lost Arts? Why doesn't it simply gives +buy to any card? Was it simply too boring for some reason, or was it anything else?
It's because +Buy has a very strange demand curve. The first one is very strong, but then subsequent ones drop down in value a lot.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: October 26, 2018, 02:27:15 pm »

Hi, I checked the secret history but it didn't quite answer it for me. Why is Seaway different than Pathfinder, Training and Lost Arts? Why doesn't it simply gives +buy to any card? Was it simply too boring for some reason, or was it anything else?
The Secret History does answer you question. The first version of the Event was without cost restriction and the gaining was conditional:

I had a version that worked on any pile but only gave you a card if it was cheap enough. It was just simpler to tie the token to the gaining.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: October 26, 2018, 02:43:03 pm »
+5

The Secret History doesn't directly answer the first question which, I think, is why does it gain you a card at all? (Instead of just placing a token like the others.) That's answered better here:

This might be trivial to say, but I imagine gaining the card makes it better because you want to play it anyway. On the other hand, the cost of the card is restricted to 4, so it balances out. Playtesters, with this one, did you just want to shake things up with the vanilla token events? Or was there a practical reason it couldn't be a direct companion to Pathfinding/Lost Arts/Training?
You tend to want as much +Actions/$/Cards as you can get, but are less likely to want tons of +Buy. So Seaway competes with +Buy cards and so to avoid shutting them out it wanted to cost $5. That meant it had to do something extra, and what it does is get you a copy of the card.

It went back and forth on whether or not it could put the token on a card it couldn't gain. I liked being able to put the token on more expensive cards but it wasn't worth making Seaway more complex.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: November 04, 2018, 07:32:09 am »

How did the recurring card 'themes' find their place into the game (verbs for Remodel variants, magic for Cursing, religious stuff for some Trashing, storage for sifters, village-related things for +2 actions, et cetera)?
Did you already ensure to keep this consistent when you first started? Did it 'just happen'? Did you discover you were doing it and wanted to keep it consistent in later cards?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: November 04, 2018, 04:28:03 pm »
+1

How did the recurring card 'themes' find their place into the game (verbs for Remodel variants, magic for Cursing, religious stuff for some Trashing, storage for sifters, village-related things for +2 actions, et cetera)?
Did you already ensure to keep this consistent when you first started? Did it 'just happen'? Did you discover you were doing it and wanted to keep it consistent in later cards?
The related names both help you remember what a card does, and help me name cards. So I had them right away; they were not unintentional. There's a 2nd "village" on the 2nd page of cards; I probably had it within a week of the first one.

I wasn't always consistent though, for random reasons.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: November 05, 2018, 07:01:59 am »

Do you sleeve your own Dominion? Is there playtesting with sleeved cards? Do you use the original boxes or do you have a storage solution?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: November 05, 2018, 07:09:03 am »

Do you sleeve your own Dominion? Is there playtesting with sleeved cards? Do you use the original boxes or do you have a storage solution?

Donald doesn't play with the actual cards.

He plays with his prototype, which are sleeved Magic: The Gathering cards.

He uses plastic binders as his storage solution.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: November 05, 2018, 07:26:22 am »

Ah. Do sleeved cards actually fit in binders? I'm using Ultra Pro Collector's Albums and put 10 or 12 cards in each pocket. I'm thinking about sleeving (due to Coppers and Estates now having visibly different backs) but I'm not sure if it will fit (in terms of thickness).
Also, which size of sleeves do you need for Dominion cards?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: November 05, 2018, 07:45:27 am »

Did you ever consider putting designated spots for the cubes on the Projects, maybe overlaying the art?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:26 am »
+1

They are sleeved Magic cards, but I store them in the long cardboard boxes that some people store Magic cards in.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:35 am »
+1

Did you ever consider putting designated spots for the cubes on the Projects, maybe overlaying the art?
I didn't.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: November 05, 2018, 07:09:59 pm »

"Silver with a bonus for $4" was considered one of the taboos of card design here, but that's what Patron is. Was it ever actually a rule for you?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: November 05, 2018, 07:28:44 pm »
+3

"Silver with a bonus for $4" was considered one of the taboos of card design here, but that's what Patron is. Was it ever actually a rule for you?
Yes, I am the source of that idea. The problem is that normal people buy Silver for $4 often enough that they just automatically empty the Silver-plus-for-$4 pile, without regard even for what the bonus is.

Patron does have this issue, though not always. As you can see it seemed like it wasn't enough of a problem to not do the card. And the fact that I hadn't done one of these meant... that I hadn't done one of these.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: November 06, 2018, 12:06:46 am »

Is there a specific reason Canal says "During your turns" instead of "During your buy phase"?  (To avoid hurting trash for benefit cards.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: November 06, 2018, 02:47:20 am »
+2

Is there a specific reason Canal says "During your turns" instead of "During your buy phase"?  (To avoid hurting trash for benefit cards.)
It's just lining up with other Bridges. The TFB cards can take the hit.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:51 am »

Unlike previous sets, it seems like some of the cards/projects that weren't previewed in Renaissance seem more insane than the ones that were. Capitalism comes to mind, but also Scepter, Border Guard, Fleet.

What was the main rationale/process behind which cards get previewed?

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:41 am »

Unlike previous sets, it seems like some of the cards/projects that weren't previewed in Renaissance seem more insane than the ones that were. Capitalism comes to mind, but also Scepter, Border Guard, Fleet.

Fleet was teased, Scepter is really cool, but what is insane with Border Guard? Am I missing something? It's surely good and all, but more than that?

I kinda like that the bomb with Capitalism was hidden (almost) all together.
S

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: November 06, 2018, 11:23:03 am »
+4

Maybe this will be mentioned in the secret history... what's the reason for Patron being a reaction? It's wording and function seem very similar to Fortress, which is not a reaction. In general, reactions always do something from a hidden place (almost always your hand); and the blue reminds people that they can do something at a time they normally couldn't. But why are Patron and Fortress different here?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: November 06, 2018, 01:03:41 pm »

Interesting!

I'd substitute a related alternative question: how come Fortress isn't a Reaction when Tunnel is? (-8

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: November 06, 2018, 01:19:09 pm »

Interesting!

I'd substitute a related alternative question: how come Fortress isn't a Reaction when Tunnel is? (-8

Tunnel has the argument that it is revealed from a hidden place (it could be buried in the discard pile). But yeah, we really don't have a consistent definition of "Reaction"; there are no rules attached to it. Donald has said that the reason for the type is the color, and the reason for the color is to make it stand out in your hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: November 06, 2018, 04:07:28 pm »
+1

Interesting!

Tunnel has the argument that it is revealed from a hidden place (it could be buried in the discard pile). But yeah, we really don't have a consistent definition of "Reaction"; there are no rules attached to it. Donald has said that the reason for the type is the color, and the reason for the color is to make it stand out in your hand.

Aren’t Reactions always supposed to be optional? Fortress isn’t optional. When the card is trashed, it’s returned to your hand. I guess if your Patron is revealed, you can choose not to perform the Reaction. I agree it doesn’t say «may» or anything like that, but couldn’t you choose not to react? I don’t know why you wouldn’t want that +1 Coffers, but that’s another question.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: November 06, 2018, 04:13:39 pm »

On-gain and on-trash triggers simply aren't Reactions, probably because they happen automatically. Sure, Patron also happens automatically but this card is an anomaly in more than one respect.
Since Lurker all the on-trash stuff from Dark Ages can also be triggered when the card is in the Supply, not just in your hand and deck, so having them be Reactions would not be that wise.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: November 06, 2018, 04:20:18 pm »
+1

Interesting!

Aren’t Reactions always supposed to be optional? Fortress isn’t optional. When the card is trashed, it’s returned to your hand. I guess if your Patron is revealed, you can choose not to perform the Reaction. I agree it doesn’t say «may» or anything like that, but couldn’t you choose not to react? I don’t know why you wouldn’t want that +1 Coffers, but that’s another question.

Pretty sure Patron isn't optional; but this is another good rules question...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: November 06, 2018, 05:04:36 pm »
+9

It's always nice to save stuff so that the full set isn't disappointing (lots of set highlights weren't previewed in the past - I'll give the Peasant line as an example), but the previews are sure trying to show off cool stuff. But they're hemmed in some too. With half the kingdom cards off-theme this time, there aren't many cards for each theme.

The natural days were off-theme, villagers, coffers, artifacts, projects. You could do it other ways - e.g., every day a Project - but that way looked good.

- There were a lot of options for off-theme. I decided to rule out the Duration cards and Scepter as they stray from the "simplicity" message. I wanted cards that would be fun to see over and over during previews week, which ruled out Witch with its Curses and Inventor with its mega-turns. Hideout was on the list for a while, but I decided Mountain Village would be more fun for previews week. And Improve, well, they couldn't all make it.
- Villagers came ahead of Coffers and so didn't want cards with both; the three I picked were shoe-ins.
- Coffers was hemmed in; I didn't want to show multiple cards with both Coffers and Villagers, and didn't want to show both Ducat and Spices. Silk Merchant was a set stand-out for playtesters, so it made it over Patron. It overlaps some with Lackeys and Spices so I shouldn't show those on their days. And Swashbuckler had an Artifact.
- For Artifacts I just didn't do the card with two Artifacts, that was easy.
- I wanted 3 simple Projects and 3 wackier ones. For preview week considerations I took Fair over Barracks; those are the two simplest. Silos is pretty simple. Citadel gets in something with a big effect that we still all immediately understand. The three wackier ones are all personal favorites. Fleet wouldn't have added as much for previews week. There were playtesters who adored Capitalism, but also ones who didn't like that Capitalism and Patron single out an unusual subset of cards. That doesn't seem to have bothered you people at large, so look at that, playtesters.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:34 pm »
+11

Maybe this will be mentioned in the secret history... what's the reason for Patron being a reaction? It's wording and function seem very similar to Fortress, which is not a reaction. In general, reactions always do something from a hidden place (almost always your hand); and the blue reminds people that they can do something at a time they normally couldn't. But why are Patron and Fortress different here?
The blue reminds you that Patron does something when it shows up from wherever, whether it's your hand or not. Similarly Tunnel is a Reaction and sometimes works from your deck.

Fortress could have been a reaction. It was a decision to make back when. The argument for not making when-trashed cards reactions - and not making when-gain cards reactions too, or giving them their own color - is that the card is involved. You know. You play Militia; Moat isn't involved, but I could use it. You play Venture; Tunnel and Patron are just going by, but they matter. You buy or trash Silk Merchant; it's right there, in on the action. So we don't need to call attention to it as much as we do Moat / Patron / etc.

But, it certainly could have been that when-gain/trash got colors.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.