Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127186 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4275 on: June 27, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »
+15

What are the Followers following?

Follow-up question: what are the Survivors surviving?
The Followers are following you, they're your followers. In the prototype it's the people following brave brave Sir Robin.

The Survivors survived an attack of some kind, like Pillage. Sadly they are doomed to be sold to a Junk Dealer.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: June 29, 2018, 12:17:14 pm »
+2

Sadly they are doomed to be sold to a Junk Dealer.

Somebody's gotta live in that ravine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: June 29, 2018, 09:27:05 pm »
+2

Do you enjoy convoluted rules debates, etc? And just in general, the theoretical discussions about the logical structure of the game?

I ask because I personally find all that stuff fascinating, but I always feel bad since you are inevitably dragged into the discussion, and, well, I can imagine that's patience-testing!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: June 30, 2018, 12:22:59 am »
+4

Do you enjoy convoluted rules debates, etc?
Not so much. It's work. You can get it wrong.

And just in general, the theoretical discussions about the logical structure of the game?
If I haven't had them already, sure.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4279 on: July 02, 2018, 12:50:15 am »

How did you decide on the Boons and Hexes? I can off the top of my head think of all sorts of marginally good bonuses that aren't a boon -- +1 VP, set aside a card from your hand put it in your hand next turn, +1 Coffer, etc.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: July 02, 2018, 01:06:03 am »
+3

How did you decide on the Boons and Hexes? I can off the top of my head think of all sorts of marginally good bonuses that aren't a boon -- +1 VP, set aside a card from your hand put it in your hand next turn, +1 Coffer, etc.
+1 VP was a boon when they were in Empires; setting aside a card for next turn was tried too. +1 Coffers would have been tried if either set had had Coffers tokens.

I did the work, that's how I decided. I went through the basic effects and some not-so-basic ones; there were ones that didn't make it and ones that had multiple versions before I found the version that made the set. They weren't randomly picked; they aren't the first 12 things I thought of.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 02, 2018, 10:13:54 am »

Adventures added +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1 tokens. It added a permanent +Card Duration (Hireling) and a permanent +Action Duration (Champion).

To me, the obvious extension of those new ideas is permanent +Buy and +Coin Durations, but I can't see them mentioned in the Secret History. I'm guessing you considered them at some point, and decided they sucked?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 02, 2018, 12:40:38 pm »
+5

Adventures added +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1 tokens. It added a permanent +Card Duration (Hireling) and a permanent +Action Duration (Champion).

To me, the obvious extension of those new ideas is permanent +Buy and +Coin Durations, but I can't see them mentioned in the Secret History. I'm guessing you considered them at some point, and decided they sucked?
I tried a conditional +$2 each turn in Empires. It didn't suck, it just didn't rock hard enough. +$1 had the issue of "isn't there Treasury already."

In general Dominion tries not to exhaust every path of possibilities, because that's less fun than having more variety. Over time some of these "holes" have been filled in due to needing basic cards to pair with new effects, for example Caravan Guard being the "next turn +$1" to Caravan's "next turn +1 Card." But that's still the general philosophy.

In fact Adventures did not start out with all four tokens, it just had +1 Action and +$1 (and e.g. Ferry). It was clear that I could have the other two, and they didn't seem worth the space. But then Events changed into Events, from one-shot kingdom cards, and suddenly I had room for a lot more of them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 02, 2018, 05:27:49 pm »

+$1 had the issue of "isn't there Treasury already."

Ah, but Hireling did not apparently have the issue of "isn't there Alchemist already".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: July 02, 2018, 06:05:05 pm »
+1

Ah, but Hireling did not apparently have the issue of "isn't there Alchemist already".

Two things there:

First, a lot of people don't have Alchemy, and don't want it. So "remaking" Alchemy cards is mostly great. Like Exorcist being sort of a fixed Transmute, for instance.

Second, Alchemist doesn't really feel like Hireling to me, since it's so much less reliable. Until you get your engine really going, I mean. But still, that's a good portion of the game.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:08:07 pm by LastFootnote »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 03, 2018, 01:53:04 am »
+1

Two things there:

First, a lot of people don't have Alchemy, and don't want it. So "remaking" Alchemy cards is mostly great. Like Exorcist being sort of a fixed Transmute, for instance.

Second, Alchemist doesn't really feel like Hireling to me, since it's so much less reliable. Until you get your engine really going, I mean. But still, that's a good portion of the game.
Hireling was also offering the new joy of the duration that stays out forever; the +$1 one wouldn't have had that, because there would already be Hireling.

In fact the premise of Alchemist was Hireling. I tested "one-shot, +1 hand size" for Alchemy; it would have required a mat and couldn't have one (and at the time duration cards were confined to Seaside). I turned it into Alchemist.

But there we were in Adventures, it was no mystery that Hireling was a relative of Alchemist, and it seemed fine to do anyway. And that experiment has played out fine too, people love Hireling, when they don't think it's broken. Maybe they would have loved the +$1 card too; I personally don't feel like I missed out there.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 03, 2018, 03:13:36 am »
+1

Maybe they would have loved the +$1 card too; I personally don't feel like I missed out there.
No, I agree, a permanent +$1 (or +1 buy) just doesn't sound like much fun; permanent +Actions and +Cards on the other hand make a big difference to what you can do during your Action phase.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 03, 2018, 07:39:17 am »

On the one hand, permanent +$1 and +1Buy could be a lot cheaper, which suddenly makes them an opening consideration whereas you have to work to afford a Hireling and jump through game-dominating hoops to get Champion.

On the other, Seaway demonstrates Donald is quite capable of adding a twist, just when you thought you'd got the hang of how something was going to work. Permanent +coin and +buy which were as different from Hireling and Champion as Hireling and Champion are from one another could be quite interesting.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: July 03, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »

What about a permanent cost reduction?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: July 03, 2018, 12:54:27 pm »

Well, there's Prince and Bridge. I mean, at this point the answer to "permanent X" is Prince + X.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: July 03, 2018, 01:01:05 pm »
+6

Well, there's Prince and Bridge. I mean, at this point the answer to "permanent X" is Prince + X.

Prince and Princess.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:22 am »
+3

Or, simpler, there is Ferry.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43:38 am »

They are obviously not analogous. They would be if Hireling would read something like "Draw a card for Action card you play."
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: July 04, 2018, 08:52:29 am »

They are obviously not analogous. They would be if Hireling would read something like "Draw a card for Action card you play."
Yeah, if you want analogues to Hireling for each of the other basic resources, just Prince the corresponding Ruin.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: July 05, 2018, 03:32:10 am »

Including Ruined Library for Hireling herself.

Walled Village is what comes closest to a Hireling/Alchemist type of action dispenser.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: July 05, 2018, 03:55:41 am »
+3

Anyone seen Donald recently?

Maybe we should get back to questions, or take the discussion elsewhere.
I think this is a great thread and am really impressed that Donald has the patience to be answering questions for us still nearly 6 years after the interview started. Thanks Donald.

Question for Donald:
Have you come across any other game designer engaging so much with a community that plays their game? For you, was it a deliberate decision to get so involved, or did it just happen?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:58:46 am by infangthief »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: July 05, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »
+3

Have you come across any other game designer engaging so much with a community that plays their game? For you, was it a deliberate decision to get so involved, or did it just happen?
There are other game designers who interact with fans online; I don't have a good feel for how much any of them do it except Mark Rosewater, whose tumblr for answering questions (originally for posting comics) is currently 6242 pages long. http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/

I was already posting online, it was not a leap to post specifically about my games.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: July 06, 2018, 11:23:03 am »
+3

There are other game designers who interact with fans online; I don't have a good feel for how much any of them do it except Mark Rosewater, whose tumblr for answering questions (originally for posting comics) is currently 6242 pages long. http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/

I was already posting online, it was not a leap to post specifically about my games.

There's also that guy who made the rip off chips deckbuilder that bitches at people who legitimately think he's an asshole
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: July 13, 2018, 05:11:32 pm »
+1

Have you ever had to choose different artwork or a different concept for a card due to it being printed in a certain country? I know China in particular will censor, like, human skeletons, which could have been a problem for something with Nocturne's theme.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 21 queries.