Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2122497 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4250 on: June 05, 2018, 09:03:47 pm »

Does it ever annoy you that Dark Ages is the only expansion with two words in the title?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: June 05, 2018, 11:39:29 pm »
+4

Does it ever annoy you that Dark Ages is the only expansion with two words in the title?
It depends on how you count them - there's Guilds & Cornucopia aka Cornucopia & Guilds aka Mixed Box, and Update Pack and Intrigue Update Pack. And then less-expansion-y things - Big Box, Big Box II, Base Cards. And then other languages and those Japanese rethemes.

But no. I worried that Jay might complain, but he didn't; he likes short names, but Dark Ages was short enough.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: June 08, 2018, 01:59:42 pm »
+2

So I know you don't look at fan expansions, but you should check out the artwork from the Antiquities expansion, and then you should hire this JanBoruta guy to illustrate at least a couple cards in all future expansions! I especially like his human closeups on cards like Archaeologist.

https://imgur.com/a/WQ1aX

Hmmm...apparently that's not a question. Will you please hire this guy?

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4253 on: June 08, 2018, 02:15:41 pm »

I especially like his human closeups on cards like Archaeologist.

Archaeologist does not look like a guy

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: June 08, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »

So I know you don't look at fan expansions, but you should check out the artwork from the Antiquities expansion, and then you should hire this JanBoruta guy to illustrate at least a couple cards in all future expansions! I especially like his human closeups on cards like Archaeologist.

This brings me a question: How are the artists chosen for each card? Do you choose them, or does RGG handle that?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: June 08, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »

This brings me a question: How are the artists chosen for each card? Do you choose them, or does RGG handle that?
Jay assigned them until Nocturne. I assigned them there, though Jay dealt with, what if they aren't available.

DeepCyan

• Steward
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: June 08, 2018, 03:53:36 pm »

First time posting to this thread (and no idea if I'm doing this right), but here goes.

How many expansions do you think you'll be making after Nocturne? Is there a set number of expansions you think Dominion can have before every aspect of the game's been fully explored and developed, or is it more a matter of continuing to make sets for as long as you have the ideas for them?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: June 08, 2018, 05:37:21 pm »
+13

How many expansions do you think you'll be making after Nocturne? Is there a set number of expansions you think Dominion can have before every aspect of the game's been fully explored and developed, or is it more a matter of continuing to make sets for as long as you have the ideas for them?
My plan is to slow the pace down after the next expansion. How many you can make depends on how complex you're willing to make them, and how little you require them to evoke the basic experience of the game. If you are loose enough on those issues you can keep going for a long time; if you demand simplicity and a classic Dominion feel, there may not be much more to do.

For me though the big thing is, well it's the war between "time spent on Dominion is time not spent on other games, and I'd like to make other games too" and "I'm not getting anything done on other games and like to feel satisfied with accomplishing things; maybe another Dominion expansion?"

So, how many more expansions, it's really down to how well I do on other projects, which is just so hard to predict.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: June 08, 2018, 05:40:55 pm »

That art is good, except that Profiteer and Prospector are the exact same dude.

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: June 10, 2018, 12:08:25 am »
+1

While we're talking about art, why is the art for Ruined Village a ruined looking Walled Village? That was a promo so the vast majority of Dominion players will never have played the card and they won't make the connection. Why not, you know... just a ruined version of Village?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:11:41 am by MattLee »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4260 on: June 10, 2018, 12:27:09 am »
+5

While we're talking about art, why is the art for Ruined Village a ruined looking Walled Village? That was a promo so the vast majority of Dominion players will never have played the card and they won't make the connection. Why not, you know... just a ruined version of Village?
That was something Jay did. Note though that Village does appear on Pillage in the same set (and on Scrying Pool). So he may have just been avoiding doing two callbacks to Village at once.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:44 am »

After release, have there been any cards that have turned out to be significantly stronger/weaker than you expected?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: June 25, 2018, 02:08:36 pm »
+4

After release, have there been any cards that have turned out to be significantly stronger/weaker than you expected?
Of course. Especially cards from early sets, e.g. Outpost, and cards that were added/changed late in the process for a set, e.g. Rebuild.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:22 pm »
+4

That was something Jay did. Note though that Village does appear on Pillage in the same set (and on Scrying Pool). So he may have just been avoiding doing two callbacks to Village at once.

Maybe Ruined Village should have been:

"+1 Action. If you have less than 3 actions in play you may put this back on your deck"

[I know why this is wrong. In so many ways]

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: June 26, 2018, 02:47:51 pm »
+5

Maybe Ruined Village should have been:

"+1 Action. If you have less than 3 actions in play you may put this back on your deck"

[I know why this is wrong. In so many ways]
I considered "Play up to two Ruins cards" - the village for Ruinses - but as you can see went with the classic.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: June 26, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »
+5

If you were going to have Ruins that directly played cards rather than giving you +Action, you could have had Ruined Throne Room. "You may play an Action card from your hand once."

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: June 26, 2018, 04:43:57 pm »
+1

If you were going to have Ruins that directly played cards rather than giving you +Action, you could have had Ruined Throne Room. "You may play an Action card from your hand once."

That's Ruined Village, just worse and more complicated...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: June 26, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »
+3

I assume that was the joke. Though I could be wrong.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: June 26, 2018, 06:18:13 pm »

I do like the idea of "you may play an action card from your hand costing 2 or less twice" as a ruin.

DeepCyan

• Steward
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: June 27, 2018, 01:06:43 pm »

I do like the idea of "you may play an action card from your hand costing 2 or less twice" as a ruin.

Honestly, that could a be kinda interesting standalone card...a 5 cost King's Court exclusively limited to playing 2 cost cards. Would certainly be a lot less inherently busted than our current KC (as much as I love the card regardless), and it could lead to interesting strategies (ever wanted to desperately fight to win a Pawn split?).

That being said, it does seem a little overly niche in concept. In certain sets the card would basically do nothing, and in a Highway kingdom the card could be absolutely broken with a little bit of setup. Still, I like the concept.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:10:30 pm by DeepCyan »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4270 on: June 27, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
+2

Speaking of Thrown Room variants .. Do you try to avoid making new card shaped things that are variants of cards that have caused a lot of rule headache in the past (Thrown Room variants, Band of Misfits variants, Possession, etc.)? Or do you see rule discussions as just part of the fun?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: June 27, 2018, 03:25:18 pm »
+5

Honestly, that could a be kinda interesting standalone card...a 5 cost King's Court exclusively limited to playing 2 cost cards. Would certainly be a lot less inherently busted than our current KC (as much as I love the card regardless), and it could lead to interesting strategies (ever wanted to desperately fight to win a Pawn split?).

That being said, it does seem a little overly niche in concept. In certain sets the card would basically do nothing, and in a Highway kingdom the card could be absolutely broken with a little bit of setup. Still, I like the concept.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=11.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: June 27, 2018, 03:26:28 pm »
+4

Speaking of Thrown Room variants .. Do you try to avoid making new card shaped things that are variants of cards that have caused a lot of rule headache in the past (Thrown Room variants, Band of Misfits variants, Possession, etc.)? Or do you see rule discussions as just part of the fun?
I try not to create rules questions! If a card has issues, I don't necessarily avoid making a new version, but I try to fix those problems in the new one.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: June 27, 2018, 04:01:24 pm »
+1

What are the Followers following?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4274 on: June 27, 2018, 04:07:41 pm »
+1

What are the Followers following?

Follow-up question: what are the Survivors surviving?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.