Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126962 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4200 on: March 20, 2018, 11:23:27 pm »

So, not all tokens anymore? Just the debt tokens?
Yes, that's what I'm saying, just Debt tokens.

So happy about this! Though I understand the awkwardness of referencing a mechanic from a different set. Is this rule change official as of a particular date? Need to make sure I get my Possession-Monument engine going at just the right time.

Pedantry time! Technically, "tokens" are from different sets already. There are no tokens at all in Alchemy.

Yeah, I guess both versions had that issue over the original. But at least with tokens it’s a word people know, even if they don’t know what tokens it’s talking about. Some people might see the debt icon and have no idea what it means. But I still think it’s the best way.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: March 20, 2018, 11:58:26 pm »
+2

Yeah, I guess both versions had that issue over the original. But at least with tokens it’s a word people know, even if they don’t know what tokens it’s talking about. Some people might see the debt icon and have no idea what it means. But I still think it’s the best way.
There is at least a rulebook to tell you that it's a thing from Empires.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:53 am »

So the version with "tokens" never existed physically, correct?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: March 21, 2018, 09:42:38 am »

I’m pretty certain that’s correct, at least in English.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: March 21, 2018, 10:34:10 am »
+4

I’m pretty certain that’s correct, at least in English.

Well there you go, Dominion now has its equivalent of Magic's "Substance" keyword.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:36 pm »
+2

Well there you go, Dominion now has its equivalent of Magic's "Substance" keyword.
Magic has endlessly had cards with errata that were never printed with it... because expansions for Magic don't stay in print. What's special about Substance is that it was such a weird solution to the problem they had.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: March 23, 2018, 02:42:10 pm »

Are all the sets on Amazon (except Alchemy) now 2nd edition? 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kevin K

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: March 23, 2018, 03:08:53 pm »
+1

I have bought all of them except for Nocturne, Guild/Corn and Alchemy on Amazon, all are 2nd edition.
I got several from candcgames through Amazon, they were good.

KK

Scoobie

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: March 23, 2018, 03:36:00 pm »

I have bought all but Adventures (and Alchemy, of course) as second editions on Amazon. I didn’t  know about the upcoming second editions when I bought Adventures.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: March 23, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »

What does it feel like inspiring a whole genre of games at varying levels of rip-offy-ness?

How do you feel about the idea of rotating supplies?  I get the sense that most Dominion players frown upon it, but Black Market is my favorite card, and that design choice seems to be common in other deckbuilders.  What would you change if you were gonna re-work Dominion into a more "black markety" format, and do you think that would make the game inherently worse (or better)?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:34 pm »

What does it feel like inspiring a whole genre of games at varying levels of rip-offy-ness?

How do you feel about the idea of rotating supplies?  I get the sense that most Dominion players frown upon it, but Black Market is my favorite card, and that design choice seems to be common in other deckbuilders.  What would you change if you were gonna re-work Dominion into a more "black markety" format, and do you think that would make the game inherently worse (or better)?

That's a very good point for descrbing why I don't like Black Market. I think all other deck builders are worse than Dominion (of the ones I've tried), and the rotating supply, which is common as you say, is one of the things that make them worse.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: March 23, 2018, 06:31:20 pm »
+2

I don't have any better way of finding out than you do.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: March 23, 2018, 06:36:56 pm »
+17

It's like sitting on a porch swing in a breeze. It's like when you're walking down the street, and you see your imaginary friend, and it's been so long, you almost don't recognize them. It's like the right angle that takes you into another dimension. It's like a grapefruit, but a little sweeter, and weird-looking.

In my initial notes for Dominion, I gave it a rotating supply. When it came time to make the game, I thought, wouldn't you just endlessly be screwed because good cards came up when you didn't have first shot at them? So I didn't do that.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/996671/secret-history-dominion

I have not put in the work to know what I'd do if I tried to make a version of Dominion with a rotating supply. There's no special draw towards trying it, because man, it's been done. The big things you get are 1) you need way fewer cards, and 2) it gives you a more tactical rather than strategic game, which could be something you wanted.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: March 24, 2018, 12:47:13 am »

I have bought all of them except for Nocturne, Guild/Corn and Alchemy on Amazon, all are 2nd edition.

KK

Including Adventures?  I was looking at picking up Hinterlands and Adventures off Amazon, since they appear to be on sale currently, along with Guilds/Corn.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kevin K

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: March 24, 2018, 08:43:11 am »
+1

KK

Including Adventures?  I was looking at picking up Hinterlands and Adventures off Amazon, since they appear to be on sale currently, along with Guilds/Corn.

Yes Adventures is second edition, I only started playing last summer.  I only have second editions.  Adventures I bought from candcgames through Amazon.
Kevin

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4215 on: March 24, 2018, 05:59:02 pm »

KK

Yes Adventures is second edition, I only started playing last summer.  I only have second editions.  Adventures I bought from candcgames through Amazon.
Kevin

I also just recently got my copy of Adventures on Amazon (I'd rather go to a local store but none had it), on sale, and it is 2nd edition.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: March 24, 2018, 09:05:04 pm »
+3

KK

Kevin

I also just recently got my copy of Adventures on Amazon (I'd rather go to a local store but none had it), on sale, and it is 2nd edition.

I really wish I didn't have Adventures already; I'd be so happy to get 2nd edition just for the fixed card bendiness issue.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:45 pm »

KK

Kevin

So I ordered Adventures from Amazon (along with a couple other sets), and it doesn't say "first edition of Intrigue" on the back.  What does your 2nd edition copy say on the back?  The other three I got (Hinterlands, Prosperity, Dark Ages) all seem to be 2nd edition.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:29 pm »

You’ve got a first edition, wero. My (non-Amazon) second edition copy has “first edition of Intrigue”.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: March 26, 2018, 08:04:29 pm »

You’ve got a first edition, wero. My (non-Amazon) second edition copy has “first edition of Intrigue”.

Alright, I'll be returning that, then.  Need to figure out how to do that.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: March 27, 2018, 09:38:40 am »

Alright, I'll be returning that, then.  Need to figure out how to do that.

I did check mine and it says "or the first edition ...".

Good luck returning it - I'm not sure if you'll be able to cite it being a first edition as a reason for the return, unless it was actually falsely advertised as being second edition (I couldn't see anything on Amazon that mentioned the edition details). You might be better off just returning it as a normal return.

Another thing you might consider is that first editions might be collectors' items - the first edition of Guilds standalone is on Amazon for about $80 if I recall, and the first print of Guilds/Cornucopia was about $200. You could hang onto it and it might appreciate in value. I'm not sure if the card quality issue that people have been talking about in first edition Adventures would be a problem with that though. Something to consider perhaps.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4221 on: March 29, 2018, 04:15:13 pm »
+1

The fanciness (size, whatever) of the castles in the Castle art is supposed to be indicative of the card's price, right? If so, have you ever had someone unfamiliar to them to sort them by fanciness without knowing their price, and if so was it close to their price order? Were castle arts ever swapped during development?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: March 30, 2018, 05:05:31 am »

The fanciness (size, whatever) of the castles in the Castle art is supposed to be indicative of the card's price, right? If so, have you ever had someone unfamiliar to them to sort them by fanciness without knowing their price, and if so was it close to their price order? Were castle arts ever swapped during development?
Yes there's this idea that the more expensive castles are grander in whatever ways. No I have not had that experience, no no arts were swapped.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: April 04, 2018, 01:07:53 pm »
+1

If you had the opportunity (or requirement) to create a reskin or variant of Dominion based on an existing IP, what IP would you want to use?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: April 04, 2018, 06:32:59 pm »
+11

If you had the opportunity (or requirement) to create a reskin or variant of Dominion based on an existing IP, what IP would you want to use?
We were approached some years ago by FFG with the idea of making a Star Wars version of Dominion. Either a new game, or just a reskin.

I did some research. My two sources of information were Amazon and BGG. For Star Wars themed games based on an existing game, the existing game sold way better - people buy way more Operation than they do Star Wars Operation (it's R2-D2, so that's cute). For new games, Star Wars didn't look like it applied any kind of magic to sales; there were tons of complete duds with the Star Wars theme. One that stands out: the Wizards of the Coast TCG. Made by people who might know something and everything, with a team of people working on it, and plenty of promotion. No sale.

At the same time, the rights holders expect to be paid a lot for the rights. In this case it was even worse, since FFG wasn't the ultimate rights-holder for either thing and yet of course needed their share of the take. So the deal just looked awful. It would have needed to be crazy successful, selling many times what Dominion was, to be worth doing, and there was just no reason to believe it would do anything like that.

So we said no and so much for that. This was all before the new movies were announced. Star Wars had gone from being "those three movies people remember fondly even though one of them actually sucked" to being "That endless parade of awfulness." The new movies... just make it some random sci-fi IP, like Star Trek is now. But I digress.

Your question!
- If no-one is approaching us with an offer, I have no special interest in pursuing an IP. I'm happy just having Dominion. If I make a spin-off, I'm happy making up flavor for it.
- If someone approaches us with an offer, we'll consider it, but given what I already know, I'm not optimistic. I wouldn't rule out any IP that didn't just suck, though of course some things would sound better than others. Listing the good ones is beyond the scope, I mean it's an endless task of thinking of entertainment I've enjoyed. We could list thousands of things and not get to say Lizard Music, and yet, Lizard Music, I wouldn't just rule that out.
- If I had to pick an IP to use, I was always struck by how much Dominion fans admired the prototype images that came from The Princess Bride. But like, there was a point where I was interacting with the company that I knew had those rights, and I didn't say, hey, what about...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:36:04 am by Donald X. »
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.