Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127196 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4125 on: February 06, 2018, 06:34:38 pm »

("genre" in quotes because of how so many of the games do so little to distinguish themselves, but no-one's interested in hearing about that).

I am. What are some examples of some blatant Dominion clones?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: February 06, 2018, 06:37:20 pm »
+4

I'm not interested in promoting them by naming them. In one of the most extreme ones, the Treasures cost $1 more, that was what passed for innovation for them.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: February 06, 2018, 06:37:36 pm »
+16

("genre" in quotes because of how so many of the games do so little to distinguish themselves, but no-one's interested in hearing about that).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: February 07, 2018, 09:29:25 am »
+10

There are so many games that I've played, and thought that I would enjoy if I hadn't played Dominion first. Games where I just can't stop myself from thinking "so this is why this mechanic is so much cleaner in Dominion" while playing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: February 07, 2018, 02:10:31 pm »

There are so many games that I've played, and thought that I would enjoy if I hadn't played Dominion first. Games where I just can't stop myself from thinking "so this is why this mechanic is so much cleaner in Dominion" while playing.

it happened the other way around for me, since I played so many deck-builders before dominion.

But i still like both "arctic scavengers" (for the extra interaction, and the competition) and "valley of the kings" (for how interesting it is to figure out when to embalm, that is trash, your best cards).

neither are better then dominion, nor have as much replayability, but both are rather interesting to pull out from time to time.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: February 07, 2018, 02:28:57 pm »

I am not familar with actual Dominion clones (the closest one I know is Ascension / Star Realms / Hero Realms as it is arguably Dominion without a restriction on Actions and Buys but here the equivalent of the Supply works different enough from Dominion to not call it a clone) just like I am not familiar with actual Caylus clones.
Agricola and all other worker placement games that appeared after Caylus did something different or new which was obviously not always better than what the first game with that mechanism did. Same with Dominon and deckbuilders.

Also, a game which invents an important mechanism tends to be mono-mechanic where games that appear afterwards tend to use that mechanism as one among many. See e.g. Martin Wallace's battle deckbuilder trilogy or Euros with deckbuilding like Concordia.

The only actual difference I see is that Dominion is not finished but still evolving. That's, at least to me, the reason for its goodness. Its originality, doing something first, matters only for history. I liked other deckbuilders much more than Base Dominion with 1 or 2 expansions but with more expansions the game became pretty good (and still does become better).

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: February 07, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »
+6

Given Donald X's unwillingness to mention Dominion clones, I suggest the conversation move over to another thread.  I started one.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: February 07, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »
+1

Given Donald X's unwillingness to mention Dominion clones, I suggest the conversation move over to another thread.  I started one.
You're there for me.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4133 on: February 17, 2018, 04:08:01 pm »

How many copies of the States are there? I've only played Nocturne online, and it's not clear there. And wiki doesn't say. I always thought there was 1 of each - like how Lost In The Woods goes from person to person. But I guess it's possible for multiple players to each have Miserable (game id: 11763249). And can they run out / what would happen if they ran out (if more players than number of copies of them were playing and all players had to take one)? And why don't hexes say "... take a Miserable", "... take a Deluded", etc., to imply there are multiple of each?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:09:45 pm by Dingan »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: February 17, 2018, 04:52:22 pm »
+1

How many copies of the States are there? I've only played Nocturne online, and it's not clear there. And wiki doesn't say. I always thought there was 1 of each - like how Lost In The Woods goes from person to person. But I guess it's possible for multiple players to each have Miserable (game id: 11763249). And can they run out / what would happen if they ran out (if more players than number of copies of them were playing and all players had to take one)? And why don't hexes say "... take a Miserable", "... take a Deluded", etc., to imply there are multiple of each?

There is 1 Lost in the Woods, 6 Deluded (with Envious on the back) and 6 Miserable (with Twice Miserable on the back).

This lines up with the mechanics, because Lost in the Woods can only ever be held by one person, but each person can be either Deluded or Envious (but never both), and each person can be either Miserable or Twice Miserable (but never both).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:38 pm »
+3

GendoIkari has the numbers. They don't say e.g. "a" because I didn't think of that in time.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: February 18, 2018, 05:44:10 pm »

Given boons and hexes already introduced "take" and "receive" as terms with special meanings, it wouldn't have been a particular stretch to go with "become" for States.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: February 18, 2018, 06:37:47 pm »

Given boons and hexes already introduced "take" and "receive" as terms with special meanings, it wouldn't have been a particular stretch to go with "become" for States.

I believe “take” was first introduced with Pirate Ship; but then given special meaning in Guilds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:24 am »

For the tenth anniversary of Carcassone, you did a Carcassone-like promo; for the tenth anniversary or Puerto Rico, you did a Puerto-Rico-like promo.  (Arguably Governor is a better homage to the game, will Walled Village just an homage to the... well, the walls.)

We're getting near the tenth anniversary of Dominion.  Is there a chance there will be a tenth anniversary promo card?  And of course I wonder, what would be a single card that evokes Dominion in the way Governor evokes Puerto Rico?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:51 am »
+4

For the tenth anniversary of Carcassone, you did a Carcassone-like promo; for the tenth anniversary or Puerto Rico, you did a Puerto-Rico-like promo.  (Arguably Governor is a better homage to the game, will Walled Village just an homage to the... well, the walls.)

We're getting near the tenth anniversary of Dominion.  Is there a chance there will be a tenth anniversary promo card?  And of course I wonder, what would be a single card that evokes Dominion in the way Governor evokes Puerto Rico?

Black Market potentially makes all of Dominion part of the game. Does that count?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: February 19, 2018, 06:19:37 am »
+12

I haven't considered doing such a thing; however Altenburger considered it so hard that there are ~3 such promos - Dismantle to have available at German tournaments for the 10th anniversary, a promo for the province of Germany/Austria that "wins," and a promo depicting the winning player.

If I had a single card that evoked Dominion and it was worth actually doing, I wouldn't be sharing it. For cards that aren't worth doing there's e.g. Visiting Relative. For cards that exist already, there's e.g. Workshop. You pick a card you want for your deck. Or Tactician - it gives you 5 cards an Action and a Buy. Hmmmmm.

Dominion themed kingdom

Feodum - flavor paragraph
Minion - flavor paragraph
Treasury - flavor paragraph
Outpost - take a turn
Tactician - 5 cards, an action, a buy
Workshop - you pick a card you want for your deck
Black Market - get in all the cards, makes you build a deck
Tournament - there are tournaments
Inn - shuffling
Castles - castle builder

Battlefield - the win condition
Dominate - kind of looks like "Dominion"

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:16 am »

A card that best exemplifies dominion might be one that creates a subgame of dominion with the remaining cards, a la Scheherazade in Magic.   

Everywhere, tournament directors have started crying, and they don't know why.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:00 pm »
+9

Minion

Yeah, I guess you'd sorta have to do Minion there.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: February 19, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »

Dominate - kind of looks like "Dominion"

Seems legit.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: February 26, 2018, 08:17:27 pm »
+2

I took a glance at the Secret History of Seaside, and noticed something peculiar about Treasury:

Treasury: This replaced a card that had rules problems. I eventually figured out a way to deal with the problems, but not in time for it to make the set. It will make it somewhere else eventually.

Did the mystery card that this excerpt is referring to ever get released in a Dominion expansion?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: February 26, 2018, 08:27:10 pm »
+7

I took a glance at the Secret History of Seaside, and noticed something peculiar about Treasury:

Treasury: This replaced a card that had rules problems. I eventually figured out a way to deal with the problems, but not in time for it to make the set. It will make it somewhere else eventually.

Did the mystery card that this excerpt is referring to ever get released in a Dominion expansion?
No! I am pretty sure it's Stash.

silby

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: February 28, 2018, 12:31:27 pm »

What’s on your mind, Donald?

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: February 28, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »
+2

You posted a link to an old comment where you said:

I had to raise it to $4, and that meant getting rid of a Throne-Room-with-a-bonus I had in another set, that had cost $4 but was no good at $5.

What was this Throne-Room-with-a-bonus?

(🎵I know, I know, it's serious 🎵)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:43 pm »
+4

You posted a link to an old comment where you said:

I had to raise it to $4, and that meant getting rid of a Throne-Room-with-a-bonus I had in another set, that had cost $4 but was no good at $5.

(🎵I know, I know, it's serious 🎵)

I believe it was a choose one between a blank cantrip (+1 Card and +1 Action) and playing an Action card from your hand twice.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:55:51 pm by LastFootnote »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: February 28, 2018, 12:52:59 pm »
+2

I believe it was a choose one between [+1 Card, +1 Action] and throne.

Ah, ok. Thanks! Often these "abandoned" cards from old threads have eventually resurfaced with a tweak or two, so I was half-expecting this to be a Disciple or Procession progenitor.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.