Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127001 times)

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4075 on: December 21, 2017, 09:30:24 pm »
+4

It just occurred to me the other day that Keep is like a mini Area-control game.

In fact that was the intent! I believe that's how Donald X. describes it somewhere, perhaps in the secret history.

EDIT: Nope, not in the secret history, but somewhere.

It was the Landmarks preview.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15398.0

ekiMbo

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: ekiMbo
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: December 22, 2017, 06:24:08 am »
+3

Also, a few pages back in this very thread http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg732653#msg732653.

Do you ever draw inspirations from other games for your cards?

I don't mean "do you rip off other games" but rather are any cards intended to be secret cameos or homages?
Walled Village and Governor are openly homages to Carcassonne and Puerto Rico respectively.
That's true, although Walled Village doesn't imitate Carcassonne in any way, it just has that title. Governor does imitate Puerto Rico.

I don't think there are any secret cameos/homages. I blab that stuff. You could read all the Secret Histories to see if I'm forgetting one. I'm not thinking of one. Okay Chariot Race has the War mechanic. Mountain Pass has bidding, I got that from games with bidding. Keep has area control.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:26:56 am by ekiMbo »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: December 22, 2017, 11:34:11 am »

Also, a few pages back in this very thread http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg732653#msg732653.

I don't mean "do you rip off other games" but rather are any cards intended to be secret cameos or homages?
Walled Village and Governor are openly homages to Carcassonne and Puerto Rico respectively.
That's true, although Walled Village doesn't imitate Carcassonne in any way, it just has that title. Governor does imitate Puerto Rico.

I don't think there are any secret cameos/homages. I blab that stuff. You could read all the Secret Histories to see if I'm forgetting one. I'm not thinking of one. Okay Chariot Race has the War mechanic. Mountain Pass has bidding, I got that from games with bidding. Keep has area control.

That was probably it. It probably lodged in my brain somewhere and then popped up, masquerading as a spontaneous thought.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: December 22, 2017, 02:59:36 pm »
+1

That was probably it. It probably lodged in my brain somewhere and then popped up, masquerading as a spontaneous thought.

That's telekinesis.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:36 pm »
+2

That's telekinesis.

Kyle.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: December 29, 2017, 11:46:12 am »

I heard that there will be a new promo for the German Dominion championship 2018. Do you already give details which kind of card we can expect?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: December 29, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »
+4

I heard that there will be a new promo for the German Dominion championship 2018. Do you already give details which kind of card we can expect?
This is the card for the winning province of Germany/Austria. I don't need to give them the card until there's a winner, which is more than a year away. I have not made a card. When the time comes it will be them announcing it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: January 01, 2018, 10:57:16 am »
+2

This is the card for the winning province of Germany/Austria. I don't need to give them the card until there's a winner, which is more than a year away. I have not made a card. When the time comes it will be them announcing it.

Do you take suggestions which card you should make as a promotion? We could save you some work ^^
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: January 01, 2018, 03:41:18 pm »
+2

Do you take suggestions which card you should make as a promotion? We could save you some work ^^
Only from playtesters. Anticipating the next question, the way to become a playtester is for me to ask you.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4084 on: January 01, 2018, 09:19:07 pm »
+6

The obvious follow up: when will you ask?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: January 02, 2018, 03:50:46 am »
+7

Well of course I'm waiting at least until you stop beating your wife.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:29 am »
+15

I didn't know you cared that much about your playtesters' winrate against their significant others.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: January 02, 2018, 10:29:12 am »

Individually, Heirlooms seem to impact gameplay much more than the three Shelters put together.
If you were to make Shelters nowadays, would you make them more impactful?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: January 02, 2018, 11:27:31 am »
+4

I didn't know you cared that much about your playtesters' winrate against their significant others.

Yeah, if anything I would think that you would want a playtester to be a better player in general; if I can't beat my wife, then she should be the one you ask to be a playtester.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: January 02, 2018, 01:49:33 pm »

Ideally you'd have playtesters representing a range of skills, otherwise how would you know if bad players find a card too difficult or complicated?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: January 02, 2018, 05:08:13 pm »
+3

Individually, Heirlooms seem to impact gameplay much more than the three Shelters put together.
If you were to make Shelters nowadays, would you make them more impactful?
They don't come to mind when I think of things to change, so, I don't imagine so. I've got something that works, hooray.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:05 am »

So when did the Nocturne playtesters stop beating their spouses? And when did Dame Josephine stop beating hers? :P

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: January 03, 2018, 04:35:27 am »
+4

So when did the Nocturne playtesters stop beating their spouses? And when did Dame Josephine stop beating hers? :P
When did this thread just become rhetorical questions?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:39 am »
+2

Obvious. The requirement is to stop beating enfynet's wife, not your own.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: January 03, 2018, 09:31:13 am »

When did this thread just become rhetorical questions?
If I answer that question will you answer this question?

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: January 03, 2018, 09:43:16 am »
+1

To bring this thread back on track a little...

Is there a card (/event/landmark/mechanism) that has really surprised you in terms of its strength or popularity?
I mean, have you designed a card thinking "this is going to be awesome", and then it has fallen completely flat during playtesting. Or have you unwillingly gone ahead with some idea that seemed mediocre and then it turned out to be awesome after all.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: January 03, 2018, 04:49:48 pm »
+5

Is there a card (/event/landmark/mechanism) that has really surprised you in terms of its strength or popularity?
I mean, have you designed a card thinking "this is going to be awesome", and then it has fallen completely flat during playtesting. Or have you unwillingly gone ahead with some idea that seemed mediocre and then it turned out to be awesome after all.
I was surprised at how well debt went over. I could see people not liking that you uh were in debt. We liked it, or it wouldn't have made it out, but, I didn't see it standing out for people like it did.

I have endlessly made things that sounded awesome but did not work out. The outtakes sections of the secret histories are full of them.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4097 on: January 08, 2018, 10:24:49 pm »

Will you or have you ever considered putting a question mark or exclamation point in any card-shape-thing text? If so, what would it take?

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: January 08, 2018, 11:10:17 pm »
+15

Will you or have you ever considered putting a question mark or exclamation point in any card-shape-thing text? If so, what would it take?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: January 09, 2018, 02:11:20 am »
+1

I don't feel the need to rule out a card name with ? or !, but it doesn't seem so likely. I mean it's Raid, not Raid!, and I think all the ! adds there is "this is trying to be funny."

As noted ? is used to represent unknown $ amounts. I'm not seeing what ! could do. I don't want to suggest that any rule is more emphatic than the others.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.