Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126845 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4050 on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:49 am »
+1

Did you ever consider or playtest a complex number of victory cards in the piles?

Yes, 8 is a complex number.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: December 13, 2017, 01:43:42 pm »
+5

How come many apparently simple potential card names haven't been used yet, when so many more obscure words and phrases have seen the light of day?

Looking back at the outtakes there are a bunch of names like Cavalry, Servant, Battlements, Barbarian, Butler, Poison, Academy, etc. which you were once considering.

Also, statues have been mentioned in the intro text for two expansions now, but we still don't have a Statue, let alone one that comes to life. (-8
The goal is never "make sure I get these simple potential card names used." The goal is always to have names that fit the cards and expansion well. So I mean. There's no mystery here.

As noted Guardian is a statue that comes to life.

But it's not made of baklava, which is only slightly disappointing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: December 13, 2017, 01:51:41 pm »
+6

Yes, 8 is a complex number.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: December 13, 2017, 02:40:46 pm »
+1

How come many apparently simple potential card names haven't been used yet, when so many more obscure words and phrases have seen the light of day?

Looking back at the outtakes there are a bunch of names like Cavalry, Servant, Battlements, Barbarian, Butler, Poison, Academy, etc. which you were once considering.

Also, statues have been mentioned in the intro text for two expansions now, but we still don't have a Statue, let alone one that comes to life. (-8
The goal is never "make sure I get these simple potential card names used." The goal is always to have names that fit the cards and expansion well. So I mean. There's no mystery here.

??
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: December 13, 2017, 02:45:11 pm »
+6

??

I will explain the joke by directing you to the flavor text for Prosperity.

silby

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: December 13, 2017, 03:20:00 pm »

There’s many good reasons not to self-publish things, certainly including “I don’t feel like it”. Is self-publishing a game something you never see yourself doing, even for games you believe in that have struck out with publishers?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: December 13, 2017, 04:37:52 pm »

There’s many good reasons not to self-publish things, certainly including “I don’t feel like it”. Is self-publishing a game something you never see yourself doing, even for games you believe in that have struck out with publishers?
At the moment I'm not interested in self-publishing.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: December 19, 2017, 10:47:07 am »
+1

I happened upon this from an old thread:

In MtG, I might have a creature that says "tap: Gain an amount of life equal to this creature's power". I could use that ability, and with MtG's stack you could kill that creature before the ability happens.  So then the question of how much life I need to gain comes up.
As it happens, I am the person who suggested that rule for Magic. Which is to say, as with anything I suggested, I don't know if they got it from me or from someone else with the same suggestion, since I never saw what went on internally; but there was a point when they needed a good rule here and I proposed last known information.

I dodged LKI in Dominion by having cost be the only card stat that can change, and changing it everywhere whenever it changes. If you need to know what types a card has, you always know, because it never changes. If all copies of the card are hidden away in decks, look at the randomizer.

Now we have Band of Misfits, Overlord and Inheritance. And they do create confusion about LKI (with certain card interactions; I have no idea how often). What made you change your mind? Did you imagine that it would be as confusing as it is (without implying that it is or isn't overly confusing) and still be worth it?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: December 19, 2017, 11:14:03 am »

Chess is a great example of what not to do in a board game.
As someone who does not like Chess, I'd love to hear you elaborate on this.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: December 19, 2017, 11:34:23 am »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.0;all

and ctrl+f "chess"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:23 pm »
+8

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.0;all

and ctrl+f "chess"

Why are you trying to crash people's computers? Rude.

Chess: Chess has two huge flaws. First, for new players, it's hard to even see what the pieces can do. You have to remember how all the pieces move and then consider how they would all interact with any potential move. Second, you can potentially see many moves in advance, perfectly. Only, you personally, you cannot do that, because it's too hard. You aren't looking ten moves ahead and therefore you're playing suboptimally. I guess you're just stupid, Chess tells you. Chess magnifies this due to the way the game works; it's not just perfect information, it's perfect information and small differences can get blown up. At one point I made a game in the Chess family. People would ask me about Magic, and I would say, well suppose we were going to play Chess, only we each brought half of the board and pieces. You've got knights and pawns and so forth, but I've got archers and pikemen, and half of my board is under water. After using this analogy a few times, I thought, I should make that game. And I made a game and well, it was way too hard to even see what the pieces could do.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:04:44 pm by LastFootnote »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: December 19, 2017, 04:45:40 pm »
+4

Now we have Band of Misfits, Overlord and Inheritance. And they do create confusion about LKI (with certain card interactions; I have no idea how often). What made you change your mind? Did you imagine that it would be as confusing as it is (without implying that it is or isn't overly confusing) and still be worth it?
Band of Misfits was too confusing, and left Dark Ages. Eventually I decided, maybe it's okay after all, and put it back in. I was weak, I wanted the fun card. Most games it's not so tricky. I don't know exactly which questions I anticipated and which I didn't. Well there's the FAQ, I anticipated those questions.

Overlord made it because, well it's the same as Band of Misfits, and people are dealing with that. Inheritance blows it here with the implementation of what exactly "your Estates" are (due to wanting when-buy to work); I would try to find a better way to do that today.

And I'd try to do Band a better way too. Necromancer technology might work (with just letting it be strong with e.g. Feast). I tried versions that played the card at the time, but they put the card in front of you, and people would scoop up the card as one of their own.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: December 19, 2017, 07:08:02 pm »
+3

Band of Misfits, Overlord, and Inheritance are three of my favorite cards. I think they're great as-is.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: December 21, 2017, 08:30:25 am »

To ask a rather general question, what is your experience with playtesters and "minigames", such as Windfall/Leprechaun/others?

Also, now that Nocturne is released, is Rats still your favourite card?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: December 21, 2017, 09:39:32 am »

What's your favorite Boon and Hex?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: December 21, 2017, 12:02:25 pm »

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4066 on: December 21, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »
+2

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4067 on: December 21, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4068 on: December 21, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
+4

Even better: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=50.0
I was waiting for someone to do that

Were you expecting Someone?

Too bad! It was just me, Awaclus!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: December 21, 2017, 03:50:20 pm »
+3

That could be the response to any number of posts on this forum.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: December 21, 2017, 04:45:42 pm »
+4

What's your favorite Boon and Hex?
The Boon is easy: The Swamp's Gift.

The Hex is tricky. If everyone knows all about them and it's even handled for you like in a computer game, then Envy; it's a very exotic penalty, one of the things that made doing Hexes look good. However there are other vantage points. As I've said elsewhere, it's bad that Hexes are so complex, and since they had to be so complex I shouldn't have done them, even though we had a lot of fun with them; furthermore the ones that say "continued on next card," well that's so ridiculous, what was I thinking. So, Envy, that crazy complex thing I regret. Surely I don't pick that one.

The Hexes would have been okay if they had almost all been as simple as Greed / Plague / Poverty, like how the Boons are almost all that simple. Attacks are just too wordy. "Discard an Action or Treasure" is so simple; but you can't just say that, it has to say "If you have at least 5 cards in hand" and then "(or reveal you can't)."

So anyway, my favorite Hex that was reasonable to do, I'll pick Greed.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: December 21, 2017, 04:54:57 pm »
+4

To ask a rather general question, what is your experience with playtesters and "minigames", such as Windfall/Leprechaun/others?

Minigames are great. They are crowd-pleasers with the playtesters, and I'm a fan too. You may note that there are several of them in Nocturne. Magic Lamp, Haunted Mirror, and Leprechaun are the big ones, but there are smaller minigames too - trying to get your Imps from Devil's Workshop, trying to keep or cash in Tragic Hero, getting your Necromancer to be good.

Rats, another mini-game, is still my favorite card; it's not something I'm really going to reassess carefully, who has the time. My favorite cards in Nocturne are Devil's Workshop and Exorcist.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: December 21, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »

Minigames are great. They are crowd-pleasers with the playtesters, and I'm a fan too. You may note that there are several of them in Nocturne. Magic Lamp, Haunted Mirror, and Leprechaun are the big ones, but there are smaller minigames too - trying to get your Imps from Devil's Workshop, trying to keep or cash in Tragic Hero, getting your Necromancer to be good.

Rats, another mini-game, is still my favorite card; it's not something I'm really going to reassess carefully, who has the time. My favorite cards in Nocturne are Devil's Workshop and Exorcist.

It just occurred to me the other day that Keep is like a mini Area-control game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: December 21, 2017, 06:13:54 pm »
+1

It just occurred to me the other day that Keep is like a mini Area-control game.

In fact that was the intent! I believe that's how Donald X. describes it somewhere, perhaps in the secret history.

EDIT: Nope, not in the secret history, but somewhere.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: December 21, 2017, 06:35:46 pm »

In fact that was the intent! I believe that's how Donald X. describes it somewhere, perhaps in the secret history.

EDIT: Nope, not in the secret history, but somewhere.

It's possible I read that somewhere previously, in which case it would be more accurate to say it "re-occurred" to me recently; I think the discussion around here on Fool made me think about other interactive game mechanics that have cameo appearances in Dominion.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.