Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127050 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3950 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:39 pm »
+7

Do you look much at the challenges people put together like "Empty the Supply in X turns" or "Let your opponent gain anything on the board using Smugglers"? Do you have a favourite, or one that you find particularly interesting either for its premise or solution?
I've looked them yes. Uh. I've actually done the sporcle quizzes. The thing where you guess the two cards names from google'd images was neat. I enjoyed celestial chameleon's stuff as much as anyone.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:27 am »
+2

Is it likely we will see Night cards in future expansions or are they a one-off?
-The Compulsive Completist

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: November 17, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
+3

How did you come up with the set of Boons?

(alternatively, when are we getting the Secret History of Nocturne?)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:45 pm »
+3

Is it likely we will see Night cards in future expansions or are they a one-off?
If there are 10 more expansions they might come back eventually. They aren't something I would just do a couple of.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: November 17, 2017, 02:12:43 pm »
+3

How did you come up with the set of Boons?

(alternatively, when are we getting the Secret History of Nocturne?)
I like to wait until people can actually buy the set. Which will be any day now, I mean it's gone out.

The Boons were an old old idea, first tried out in Empires, but I had too much stuff to fit in the set and they didn't go with the other things. The specific Boons, well we just tried some and then I tweaked them.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: November 17, 2017, 02:16:37 pm »

I would be curious to hear on how you decided how strong they had to be, on average. Though I guess the answer will probably be something along the lines of "not so weak that they don't matter, not so strong that which one you get either makes or breaks your deck".
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: November 17, 2017, 02:50:53 pm »
+4

I would be curious to hear on how you decided how strong they had to be, on average. Though I guess the answer will probably be something along the lines of "not so weak that they don't matter, not so strong that which one you get either makes or breaks your deck".
The biggest thing is just trying to make them roughly as good. So there were 12, and then some were the weaker ones and some the stronger ones, and I messed with them to try to get them more even. They were always on the small side; I didn't pursue doing much larger effects because it seemed like the random aspect would make those less fun.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: November 17, 2017, 04:35:01 pm »
+4

If there are 10 more expansions
Yes pease.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3958 on: November 18, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »

On Werewolf, why do you say "If it's your Night phase, ..." instead of "If it's your Action phase, ..."? I would think the latter would make more sense because it's chronological. Crown, for example, does do it in chronological order (if-Action-phase-stuff before if-Buy-phase-stuff).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:15:23 pm by Dingan »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: November 18, 2017, 07:28:26 pm »
+4

On Werewolf, why do you say "If it's your Night phase, ..." instead of "If it's your Action phase, ..."? I would think the latter would make more sense because it's chronological. Crown, for example, does do it in chronological order (if-Action-phase-stuff before if-Buy-phase-stuff).
It's only a wolf at night!

There was the possibility of it being neither phase. An outtake could play Action cards in your Buy phase. So that's why it doesn't just list the two phases and what it does in each.

When Crown was previewed, people were all, "so this expansion is ridiculously complex." So it's not exactly a model of what to do.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: November 19, 2017, 10:15:15 am »
+1

Is there a functional reason why Wish is not a Spirit or is it mostly to be thematic?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: November 19, 2017, 10:30:55 am »
+4

Is there a functional reason why Wish is not a Spirit or is it mostly to be thematic?

Exorcist?

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: November 19, 2017, 12:21:11 pm »
+1

Exorcist?

Right, that’s exactly my question, like is is specifically important for exorcist not to be able to gain it? There are these four non supply cards that you can get via other stuff, and three of them are grouped together as the ones you can get with exorcist, and I was just wondering if there was an interesting reason for that. (I know Bat is similar too but that clearly has a specific relationship just with Vampire)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: November 19, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
+3

Wishes are Wishes and Spirits are Spirits. They were unrelated ideas and there was never any reason to try to connect them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:41 pm »
+3

What are your thoughts on the large skill gap in Dominion? While clearly Dominion appeals to heavy and casual players alike, it can be difficult to casual players to enjoy games with heavy players.

I have had several people tell me that they won't play Dominion with me at game nights; and have recently had players resign in frustration because it's not fun for them to just watch me draw and play my deck every turn while they struggle. And, I'm no where near one of the better players on this forum. Maybe I was 5 years ago; but I stopped playing competitively before Isotropic shut down. But even so, there's a huge skill gap between a casual player and someone who spends time on these forums.

Of course there's plenty of games with larger skill gaps; but I suppose where Dominion is different is that the turn of a player who is good looks a lot different than the turn of a player who is new. In Agricola, for example, winning and losing players will still take similar-looking turns.

Just wondering if this is something you have encountered yourself, or if you knew going into it that Dominion would have this large of a skill gap. It's not obvious on the surface; due to being a card game with plenty of luck involved.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3965 on: November 21, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »
+6

It is a common complaint for many games, but personally I consider those to be bugs of the gaming group, not of the game.  What's the point of playing a game where a heavy player has no advantage over a casual player?

The blame-game-for-gaming-group-problem phenomenon is most common in reviews of coop games, where people solemnly point out that Pandemic is a bad game because one time someone took over a newbie game and dictated everyone's moves.  It's not the game's fault you're playing with jerks.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
+3

What are your thoughts on the large skill gap in Dominion? While clearly Dominion appeals to heavy and casual players alike, it can be difficult to casual players to enjoy games with heavy players.
It's not a problem I have had personally, though I wouldn't be the best data point. The goal as always is that the game is fun to lose, and in my experience it is.

I do have the problem of a good player who is also slow. Another player leaves when that one shows up (which is always later in the evening). The problem isn't that he's good though, it's that he's slow. Draw your deck quickly, that's my advice. You're already winning, you don't need to eke out each conceivable grain of advantage. On my side there are cards I've blown it on there, like Scrying Pool, and well sorry, and you can skip them if someone is going to hate the slow game.

In games irl with no horribly broken didn't-make-it-to-print cards, I have seen only a tiny number of resignations, out of thousands of games.

Going into it I knew nothing; for all I knew the game wouldn't work at all. Chaining cards was fun so there is some of that; later sets have more than the original main set, because players at large liked it too, hey why isn't there more of this. I didn't start the premise that some turns would be fast and some long, and it doesn't sound like a good premise; but when we are all having a blast I don't say "no no, this is no good."

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: November 22, 2017, 07:08:46 am »

How good are you at playing Dominion compared to the people you usually play with?  :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: November 22, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
+3

How good are you at playing Dominion compared to the people you usually play with?  :)
I'm mostly better than them. I'd say I'm better than the slow player but it's close. Sir Martin has pointed out that he has the edge in games with new cards, because if I thought the card was overpowered I wouldn't have printed it, I would have weakened it first. But sometimes they're overpowered. So sometimes they're overpowered, and I never think they are (until seeing them in action of course), but he might. I feel like he wins more than his share but I haven't done a tally. But me and those two, we are better than the other players. I play with anyone who will have me, so sometimes there's someone who doesn't know what they're doing at all, sometimes someone who I just taught the game to.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:24 pm »

...sometimes someone who I just taught the game to.

What would you say is the total number of people you have taught this game to?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: November 22, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »
+8

I wrote the 2E rulebook, so, a lot. And no I'm not going to try to estimate how many irl. It's work you're asking me to do, work, with the prize of, I answered your question.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: November 24, 2017, 01:15:05 am »
+6

I wrote the 2E rulebook, so, a lot. And no I'm not going to try to estimate how many irl. It's work you're asking me to do, work, with the prize of, I answered your question.

One might have to wonder if estimating would have been less work that thinking of a clever response though!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: November 24, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
+8

One might have to wonder if estimating would have been less work that thinking of a clever response though!
If that response counts as clever well then call me Mr. Clever Guy. Oh I guess you are.

You're not going to trick me into doing the work just so I know how much work it was. I can smell work. They did a Mythbusters episode on it and concluded "plausible."

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: November 25, 2017, 05:11:39 am »

Why does Changeling's top make you trash it and gain a copy of a card you have in play instead of something like: "Exchange this for a copy of a card in play"?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:41:40 am by dz »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: November 25, 2017, 08:14:17 am »
+1

Why does Changeling's top make you trash it and gain a copy of a card you have in play instead of something like: "Exchange this for a copy of a card in play"?

Exchanging Changeling puts it back into the Supply, which lengthens the game and creates all sorts of infinite loop possibilities.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.