Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127096 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3900 on: September 08, 2017, 07:14:06 pm »
+6

Speaking of Chapel and Witch:

At some point in the past, there were the Four Pillars of Dominion:  Chapel, Witch, Gardens, and... Thief.

So, with Thief gone... do you feel there's a new fourth pillar?  Is it Bandit?
I feel more like, there are 26 pillars for changing how the base game plays. There aren't really 26 to the same degree but you know.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:27 am »

that moment when I read about how good players will trash their starting deck and easily beat anyone who doesn't do such was an amazing and great moment in my personal Dominion history.

I feel like every player comes to that realization in a different way. For me, it was Salvager.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 15, 2017, 04:46:34 pm »
+2

Every Dominion blurb is hilarious, but which one is your personal favourite? Hinterlands has always (excluding the time when it didn't exist) been the best for me.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:40 pm »
+7

...excluding the time when it didn't exist...

Only* on this forum is such a qualification necessary.

*Where "Only" = "Not many places other than"

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 15, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
+3

Every Dominion blurb is hilarious, but which one is your personal favourite? Hinterlands has always (excluding the time when it didn't exist) been the best for me.
The Hinterlands one. The main joke is from one of my screenplays. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 16, 2017, 01:37:39 pm »

I think you've said your wife has helped playtest, but are your kids old enough to play Dominion?  Are they any good at it?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: September 16, 2017, 04:53:29 pm »
+4

I think you've said your wife has helped playtest, but are your kids old enough to play Dominion?  Are they any good at it?
Natalie has refused to try it so far, though she suggested the new wording for Library. Sylvia plays sometimes, but we show no mercy and she does not win.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: September 16, 2017, 05:02:36 pm »
+5

...excluding the time when it didn't exist...

Only* on this forum is such a qualification necessary.

*Where "Only" = "Not many places other than"

And only on this forum would someone reply to point out that it's not accurate; there was a time that the blurb existed but Theta hadn't seen or read it yet; so it wasn't his favorite yet.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: October 11, 2017, 06:06:30 pm »

What aspects of the Dominion meta-game or community in 2017 would Donald X. from 2007-2008 be most surprised about?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: October 11, 2017, 06:20:26 pm »
+1

What aspects of the Dominion meta-game or community in 2017 would Donald X. from 2007-2008 be most surprised about?
I am not seeing what the surprising things are, what would have surprised anybody ever. I'd already been in online Magic communities.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:42 am »

This question probably was asked before, but I think it is worth an update: How do you see the relation between IRL Dominion and Digital Dominion nowadays? To me it seems that most of the core complaints about Dominion (lots of shuffling, setup with 11 expansions, little social interaction, long turns and waiting times, tracking issues) only stay true for IRL Dominion. Digital Dominion in contrast, feels like a perfect fit for the medium, where weaknesses either turn into genuine strengths (like the lack of need for conversation) or disappear (like shuffling, speed, etc).

Did the various digital versions change how you approached the game over the years? Was there a point where your focus shifted between online play and tabletop version? Do you think you would still be releasing expansions, if only the board game version existed?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: October 26, 2017, 07:13:34 am »
+8

This question probably was asked before, but I think it is worth an update: How do you see the relation between IRL Dominion and Digital Dominion nowadays? To me it seems that most of the core complaints about Dominion (lots of shuffling, setup with 11 expansions, little social interaction, long turns and waiting times, tracking issues) only stay true for IRL Dominion. Digital Dominion in contrast, feels like a perfect fit for the medium, where weaknesses either turn into genuine strengths (like the lack of need for conversation) or disappear (like shuffling, speed, etc).

Did the various digital versions change how you approached the game over the years? Was there a point where your focus shifted between online play and tabletop version? Do you think you would still be releasing expansions, if only the board game version existed?
For me it's like backwards from how you're asking it. The online version is significant for having a bunch of players who post on the internet about Dominion. That's really the big thing about it. And I hear those loud voices complain about whatever they complain about, and praise whatever they praise. But the online version has never otherwise been a consideration when working on the expansions; they were all made for the physical game only. If a card simply would not work online, that would not stop me from making it; if it won't work for the physical version, it's not happening (yes someday there could be a single online-only promo, but only if the card can't exist physically for whatever reasons). The physical version makes money and the online version just has dreams there. I have played tons of physical Dominion and much less online Dominion; a bunch when we could playtest on isotropic but it has been a while there. If today I make a Dominion card that I want to playtest for a possible future set, I can mock it up and print it out and play it, the same day or within a few days; the possibility of a future online version of it won't matter at all until the set is done and at the printers.

If only the physical game existed, that would be exactly like how things are now to me, except for the degree to which it changed the nature of this online community. I guess you can say, sometimes the online version takes work from me - for example playtesting online Nocturne some recently and talking about how things should work - and if weren't there, I would save that time.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
+1

For me it's like backwards from how you're asking it. The online version is significant for having a bunch of players who post on the internet about Dominion. That's really the big thing about it. And I hear those loud voices complain about whatever they complain about, and praise whatever they praise. But the online version has never otherwise been a consideration when working on the expansions; they were all made for the physical game only. If a card simply would not work online, that would not stop me from making it; if it won't work for the physical version, it's not happening (yes someday there could be a single online-only promo, but only if the card can't exist physically for whatever reasons). The physical version makes money and the online version just has dreams there. I have played tons of physical Dominion and much less online Dominion; a bunch when we could playtest on isotropic but it has been a while there. If today I make a Dominion card that I want to playtest for a possible future set, I can mock it up and print it out and play it, the same day or within a few days; the possibility of a future online version of it won't matter at all until the set is done and at the printers.

If only the physical game existed, that would be exactly like how things are now to me, except for the degree to which it changed the nature of this online community. I guess you can say, sometimes the online version takes work from me - for example playtesting online Nocturne some recently and talking about how things should work - and if weren't there, I would save that time.

This is an illuminating perspective for those us who inhabit this little bubble.

If a card simply would not work online, that would not stop me from making it

Chaos Orb hex confirmed!

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: October 30, 2017, 10:58:30 am »

The online version is significant for having a bunch of players who post on the internet about Dominion. That's really the big thing about it. And I hear those loud voices complain about whatever they complain about, and praise whatever they praise. But the online version has never otherwise been a consideration when working on the expansions; they were all made for the physical game only.

So we've seen how much feedback (of all kinds) you get from this community -- most of whom play online, I'm guessing -- but what are your avenues for feedback from the rest of the player base?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »

How much did you know about the SdJ before winning it?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: October 30, 2017, 05:54:04 pm »
+2

So we've seen how much feedback (of all kinds) you get from this community -- most of whom play online, I'm guessing -- but what are your avenues for feedback from the rest of the player base?
I see posts on the internet on f.ds, BGG, r/Dominion, ShuffleiT, discord, and sometimes other places. Reviews on various sites, stuff that's linked to from the other places (the front page comments just had links to https://kingscouncilroom.wordpress.com/), youtube videos.

If it's not on the internet, it's IRL! People come to my table and I play with them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: October 30, 2017, 05:55:44 pm »
+3

How much did you know about the SdJ before winning it?
I was told about it when the game was nominated. I don't know that I learned anything more when it won. I guess I learned that each year they'd invite me to their gaming event at Essen, and what that's like. Before it was nominated, I don't think I'd heard of it. Maybe someone brought it up in the context of, will Dominion get nominated.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 31, 2017, 12:08:49 pm »
+5

What would you say is the likelihood of ever getting a card type with a black banner color, say with white text?

Pretty high, as it turns out.
I have sigs off.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 31, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »
+1

What would you say is the likelihood of ever getting a card type with a black banner color, say with white text?

Not necessarily.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 31, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »
+2

Not necessarily.

Well, it depends on your opinion regarding retrocausality.
I have sigs off.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: November 04, 2017, 11:22:35 pm »
+1

Were any nocturne cards tested in Simulators?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: November 05, 2017, 12:42:57 am »
+5

I don't think so. Only a few cards have ever been tested in simulators.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:57 pm »

Donald, my wife was pondering over cards and pointed out to me Magic in Dominion is only ever evil. Meaning, harmful. Attack cards.

To which I replied, well, not really since there are magical treasures that aren't harmful. And Alchemy is full of helpful magic, right?

But then I thought, it's funny that in Alchemy you have magic -- Scrying Pool, Familiar, Possession -- and you have pseudoscientists -- Alchemist, Herbalist, Apprentice. And the magic users are attacks and the alchemists are beneficial, contained cards.

Is there an intention here? I'm trying to think of actual "Magic user" cards in Dominion that aren't all attackers or otherwise hostile.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:33 pm »
+2

Uh, Summon?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: November 07, 2017, 06:40:37 pm »
+1

I don't think so. Only a few cards have ever been tested in simulators.

What cards were tested in simulators? Are there any cool stories behind those?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 21 queries.