Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127493 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3825 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:38 am »
+8

Do you think you would still be as successful if you didn't have a cool name like Donald X. and had something dorky like Dave P. Gilbert instead?
A story I like to tell: I have had the experience of someone standing there holding a copy of Dominion, introduced to me as Donald X., going on to say, so, we were going to play Dominion, have you played, are you interested.

So, the name does not appear to be a factor.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: May 08, 2017, 06:22:10 am »
+1

Do you think you would still be as successful if you didn't have a cool name like Donald X. and had something dorky like Dave P. Gilbert instead?
A story I like to tell: I have had the experience of someone standing there holding a copy of Dominion, introduced to me as Donald X., going on to say, so, we were going to play Dominion, have you played, are you interested.

I mean, "X" could be anything, so it's obviously not a unique name.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: May 08, 2017, 12:14:33 pm »
+3

Many years ago, I worked briefly for a large corporation who enforced a rule-based email address policy that followed the format "firstname.middle-initial.lastname@whatever.com". If you didn't have a middle name, they used 'X'. Of course this meant that people external to the organization assumed 'X' was part of that person's name, even in the case of one of the most senior positions in the company.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: May 08, 2017, 01:17:20 pm »
+1

So...no X factor.
-The Compulsive Completist

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3829 on: May 08, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »
+2

Many years ago, I worked briefly for a large corporation who enforced a rule-based email address policy that followed the format "firstname.middle-initial.lastname@whatever.com". If you didn't have a middle name, they used 'X'. Of course this meant that people external to the organization assumed 'X' was part of that person's name, even in the case of one of the most senior positions in the company.

People in the company would have assumed that Donald X didn't have a middle name then!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:50 pm »
+6

As I recall according to Terry Pratchett, the middle initial X stands for "Someone who wants to have a cool and interesting middle name".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 09, 2017, 08:47:17 am »
+1

As I recall according to Terry Pratchett, the middle initial X stands for "Someone who wants to have a cool and interesting middle name".

And people with a middle initial Y are just sideways.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 09, 2017, 02:43:13 pm »
+1

What were to happen to Dominion if you were to die.  Does it go to your estate? Does it belong to Rio Grande?

By the way...stay safe.
-The Compulsive Completist

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 09, 2017, 03:07:54 pm »
+2

What were to happen to Dominion if you were to die.  Does it go to your estate? Does it belong to Rio Grande?

By the way...stay safe.

Donald already has at least fifteen youthful clones set aside for that very possibility.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 09, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »
+8

By the way...stay safe.

Donald already has at least fifteen youthful clones set aside for that very possibility.

The rights to dominion will go to his Estate.  As to who Inherits the Estate, only Donald and his lawyer can say...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: May 09, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
+1

The rights to dominion will go to his Estate.  As to who Inherits the Estate, only Donald and his lawyer can say...

I think this issue has been discussed in the rules forum.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3836 on: May 09, 2017, 10:31:41 pm »

By the way...stay safe.

I just hope he doesn't Upgrade his Estate first

weretheruler

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
+3

Dominion is awesome! Adventures is my favorite, mostly for the travellers and reserve cards.

1. Do you ever come up with/test new cards when you are not actively working on a new expansion (or working on a promo)?

2. Dominion "came from" Spirit Warriors 2, a deckbuilding game with heroes. Have you ever tested adding heroes to dominion, or is Champion as close as it got?
   2a. If you did, would that be a spinoff?

3. In a week of playtesting, is it it usually just playtesting the same game, or two, or sometimes a lot of things get playtested in a single week?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 11, 2017, 05:07:24 pm »
+3

1. Do you ever come up with/test new cards when you are not actively working on a new expansion (or working on a promo)?
Some tiny amount. There's always a file I keep of unused ideas, and I add whatever it is to the file.

2. Dominion "came from" Spirit Warriors 2, a deckbuilding game with heroes. Have you ever tested adding heroes to dominion, or is Champion as close as it got?
   2a. If you did, would that be a spinoff?
If I made something like Spirit Warriors 2 I would think of it as a spin-off, although knowing me I'd end up taking out the deckbuilding part.

I haven't been trying to get "heroes you build up" into Dominion, but there are the travellers. Yes those are probably as close as it gets.

3. In a week of playtesting, is it it usually just playtesting the same game, or two, or sometimes a lot of things get playtested in a single week?
Over the years the most typical thing has been either a mix of games or all Dominion. Sometimes an evening might have been all Temporum or whatever, but not as often.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 21, 2017, 11:39:08 am »

Do players start with an extra card if Endless City starts the game real?  Similar question for Mafia City-States.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:50:21 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: May 21, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »
+2

Do players start with an extra card if Endless City starts the game real?  Similar question for Mafia City-States.

I would be very surprised if if it counted. To "become real" strongly implies that it wasn't real previously.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: May 21, 2017, 01:27:11 pm »

I would be very surprised if if it counted. To "become real" strongly implies that it wasn't real previously.

Just wanted to check.

Also:
-Being time-shifted out of Viking America will not proc it, right?
-Are the Parthenon tokens component limited?  It's possible to have Greek America, New France, and Simulated Paradise in the same game, but you only get 2 tokens.
-Capitalist Utopia's "rule all times" effect only happens if it's real, right?
-You can't look through Quiet Planet's pile until you actually visit, right?
-Coins on Beggar don't count towards its own limit, right?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: May 21, 2017, 04:24:18 pm »

Do you ever think about fixing Monopoly? I'd be interested to hear some Donald™ fixes on Monopoly, the game that could have been.

My personal assessment is that the first 25 minutes or so are fun, and then the rest is pretty awful.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: May 21, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
+3

No.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: May 21, 2017, 05:42:43 pm »
+3

-Being time-shifted out of Viking America will not proc it, right?
Correct.

-Are the Parthenon tokens component limited?  It's possible to have Greek America, New France, and Simulated Paradise in the same game, but you only get 2 tokens.
They are component limited.

-Capitalist Utopia's "rule all times" effect only happens if it's real, right?
Correct.

-You can't look through Quiet Planet's pile until you actually visit, right?
Correct.

-Coins on Beggar don't count towards its own limit, right?
Correct.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: May 21, 2017, 05:52:45 pm »
+5

Do you ever think about fixing Monopoly? I'd be interested to hear some Donald™ fixes on Monopoly, the game that could have been.

My personal assessment is that the first 25 minutes or so are fun, and then the rest is pretty awful.
One of my oldest games is my take on Monopoly. The only elements I preserved were moving around that style of board, and owning properties and building them up. Roll-and-move is a reasonable mechanic that you can't do because of the endless parade of bad roll-and-move games. And owning properties and building them up is great. Of course in my version the properties all had special abilities.

The trading in Monopoly is bad, I mean it's political and so much for that. And as everyone knows the game overall is low on interesting decisions (you can mention the trading but the trading is still awful); you have to be into it for the ritual, and then it blows it on the ritual by taking forever, by eliminating players with hours left and all that.

I always say that Settlers is the fixed version, although I don't like Settlers either, due to the politics. But you know, in both games you roll the dice and see what you get, you can get stuff on other players' turns, you draw cards that do random things, you build up properties, you trade. If you are keen on trying the ritual of Settlers with less politics, try: 1) the robber goes to the space with the most points of buildings that you aren't next to, ties broken by most commonly rolled number, further ties broken randomly; 2) on your turn you can only trade with the player to your left.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: May 21, 2017, 06:10:19 pm »

So from a previous answer I know your daughters are slightly older than mine.  Are they now involved in playtesting?  And if so do they think of it as cool or boring?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: May 21, 2017, 06:18:15 pm »
+1

This question might be answered if I had played your other games, but I'll ask anyways:

There's a "strategic breadth" to dominion that stems from it's randomized kingdoms; even with just the base set its incredibly unlikely to play the same kingdom twice, so to get good you have to consider the pairs of interactions of loads of cards. I'm not as convinced that dominion has a similar amount of "strategic depth", in that one kingdom would generally get boring to play in less than 5 play thrus as a decent player. Chess is a good default example of what I mean from strategic depth: there's a universal starting point but it can handle tens of thousands of play thrus while still being interesting.

Did you intentionally aim for (some form similar to my definition of) strategic breadth over depth because you think it's more valuable for board games? Do your favorite games generally have some form of "arbitrarily large number of starting positions"?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: May 22, 2017, 01:34:30 am »
+4

So from a previous answer I know your daughters are slightly older than mine.  Are they now involved in playtesting?  And if so do they think of it as cool or boring?
They've done a little playing of unpublished games. It's a case-by-case thing, they have to be interested in the particular game and on that particular day. I don't think they've so much registered it as different from playing a game. And sometimes I ask them questions, especially to see, is this wording good. Natalie suggested the wording on the 2E Library, when I was asking about other options.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: May 22, 2017, 02:21:58 am »
+6

There's a "strategic breadth" to dominion that stems from it's randomized kingdoms; even with just the base set its incredibly unlikely to play the same kingdom twice, so to get good you have to consider the pairs of interactions of loads of cards. I'm not as convinced that dominion has a similar amount of "strategic depth", in that one kingdom would generally get boring to play in less than 5 play thrus as a decent player. Chess is a good default example of what I mean from strategic depth: there's a universal starting point but it can handle tens of thousands of play thrus while still being interesting.

Did you intentionally aim for (some form similar to my definition of) strategic breadth over depth because you think it's more valuable for board games? Do your favorite games generally have some form of "arbitrarily large number of starting positions"?
So far the distinction you're making between "breadth" and "depth"  just seems arbitrary and negative to me. Either I'm having new experiences or I'm not; either I continue to find ways to improve or I don't. How the game achieves that seems unrelated to whether or not you have it. I mean. It's like you're saying, my games aren't as good, because of the particular ways that they produce new experiences. "Depth" is a term other people use, it will mean something to those people separate from whatever you may mean by it, and no amount of quotation marks changes that. When you say you don't think Dominion has strategic depth, you are telling those people that it sucks, regardless of what you actually mean. FYI!

I try to make games that produce new experiences repeatedly; often that involves varying starting conditions, often with those elements being rules components, to the point of "it's a different game each time." That's not the only way to get new experiences; you can for example simply have lots of designed space, such that it takes players a long time to see all of it. That's a basic thing computer games often do. You can push psychology or creativity such that you're exploring yourself or the other players; for people who like those games (far short of everyone for either category), that can keep a game replayable for a long time with nothing else backing it up. I've done some of each.

I can also enjoy a game that just gives one experience though, if I like that experience. For example I still sometimes play Boggle. Boggle is an example of a game with variable set-up where grouping it with variable rules games like mine is just hugely misleading; the variable set-up doesn't stop it from being the same experience every time.

I hold Chess up as an example of what not to do. It's too hard for new players to even see legal moves, let alone make good plays. It feels like if you were good enough you could see lots of moves ahead, but you aren't actually able to do that; so it feels like the game is telling you how stupid you are.

And yes also "explore what happens when the first 8 moves are the same but then things try somehow to get interesting" is bad. Bobby Fischer - wikipedia says, "Many consider him to be the greatest chess player of all time," and gives citations - didn't think it was so great memorizing openings and exploring those paths, and advocated randomizing the starting positions. As if then the game had more uh well let's not call it depth. More something.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.