Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127028 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3775 on: April 25, 2017, 05:39:24 pm »
+1

How good a Dominion player are you?

(objectively and/or subjectively)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 25, 2017, 05:42:46 pm »
+3

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 25, 2017, 06:10:18 pm »
+2

Asked and answered way back when: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg148786#msg148786
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 25, 2017, 06:48:48 pm »

Asked and answered way back when: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg148786#msg148786

Thanks! I actually searched for this question, assuming it had been asked, but my search terms weren't nuanced enough to find it.

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: April 26, 2017, 04:13:37 am »

...expansion should always strive for complexity and not simplicity.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly.  Expansions should strive for variety.  That's not to say complexity is necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an end unto itself.
Huh? It is fairly easy to come up with a village or trasher variant. Anybody can do that. But if a new village is not more complex than Village it'll probably suck.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly.  Expansions should strive for variety.  That's not to say complexity is necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an end unto itself.
I'll say it: complexity sucks.

Strategic complexity is fine; I'm not talking about that. Perhaps a misunderstanding along those lines is why there's a disparity here. I'm talking about rules complexity.

Ideally you quickly read the cards and then it takes a while to explore the implications. It's great when you play with a card a bunch and still don't have a handle on it. It's awful when your eyes glaze over at all the text; maybe I'll buy some other card and worry about that one later. When you mentally shorthand the card into something that's wrong and it matters. When you aren't sure what's supposed to happen and make a thread in the rules forum.
I don't like rule-messy Dominion cards like Possession. But rule difficulty has nothing to do with complexity. A Euro can be more complex than a wargame in spite of far simpler rules.
What I meant is that stuff that makes the first and fairly non-complex deckbuilder more complex is IMO good. Whether that's stuff like Landmark that makes the road to victory more tricky to evaluate or different starting hands via Shelters and so on doesn't matter. Again, Necro is not a difficult card to understand rule-wise yet the addition of variable starting hands makes the game more complex and thus, IMO, better.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:20:17 am by weety4 »

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:38 am »

Huh? It is fairly easy to come up with a village or trasher variant. Anybody can do that. But if a new village is not more complex than Village it'll probably suck.

Strategic complexity is fine; I'm not talking about that. Perhaps a misunderstanding along those lines is why there's a disparity here. I'm talking about rules complexity.

Ideally you quickly read the cards and then it takes a while to explore the implications. It's great when you play with a card a bunch and still don't have a handle on it. It's awful when your eyes glaze over at all the text; maybe I'll buy some other card and worry about that one later. When you mentally shorthand the card into something that's wrong and it matters. When you aren't sure what's supposed to happen and make a thread in the rules forum.
I don't like rule-messy Dominion cards like Possession. But rule difficulty has nothing to do with complexity. A Euro can be more complex than a wargame in spite of far simpler rules.
What I meant is that stuff that makes the first and fairly non-complex deckbuilder more complex is IMO good. Whether that's stuff like Landmark that makes the road to victory more tricky to evaluate or different starting hands via Shelters and so on doesn't matter. Again, Necro is not a difficult card to understand rule-wise yet the addition of variable starting hands makes the game more complex and thus, IMO, better.

So the goal, then, is variation.  One can add things that create complexity with the goal of generating more variety while striving for simplicity OR one can add complexity for its own sake.  Your comment made it sound like you wanted the latter.  If that's not what you meant (and based on your follow up, it seems like it isn't) then perhaps we don't truly disagree.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: April 26, 2017, 11:18:03 am »

So the goal, then, is variation.  One can add things that create complexity with the goal of generating more variety while striving for simplicity OR one can add complexity for its own sake.  Your comment made it sound like you wanted the latter.  If that's not what you meant (and based on your follow up, it seems like it isn't) then perhaps we don't truly disagree.
Of course complexity for its own sake. A non-complex game would be Tictactoe and that is utterly trivial and solved.

I don't care much for variety per se. Just adding more cards to Dominion doesn't make it complex/better just like adding new Chess pieces doesn't per se improve the game.
But if those cards achieve something new and innovative that changes how the game works, like the aforementioned Shelters and Landmarks, that's a plus in my book.

The best thing is of course complexity out of simplicity like e.g. in the case of Chess or in the case of rule-wise simple Dominion cards that are nonetheless tricky to play with. And of course complexity that arises out of interaction of cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: April 26, 2017, 05:24:41 pm »
+9

But rule difficulty has nothing to do with complexity.
Other people who speak English use the word "complexity" differently than you do. If you wish to communicate clearly, I recommend being more specific.

And if you don't wish to communicate clearly, I recommend taking the discussion elsewhere.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: April 26, 2017, 06:18:01 pm »

Other people who speak English use the word "complexity" differently than you do. If you wish to communicate clearly, I recommend being more specific.

And if you don't wish to communicate clearly, I recommend taking the discussion elsewhere.
If you think generally that there complexity is unambiguously defined and specifically that "rule complexity" is the only form of complexity (actually I think that the term rule complexity is utter nonsense as rule difficulty has nothing to do with how complex a game is) you are direly mistaken.
For example Chess is a complex game with simple rules.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:19:17 pm by weety4 »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:36 pm »
+9

I think contextually it was understood that the discussion was about complexity of the mechanics.  Actually, it was explicit.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: April 27, 2017, 03:58:23 am »
+13

If you think generally that there complexity is unambiguously defined and specifically that "rule complexity" is the only form of complexity (actually I think that the term rule complexity is utter nonsense as rule difficulty has nothing to do with how complex a game is) you are direly mistaken.
I was specific, and distinguished between "strategic complexity" and "rules complexity."

You dropped the adjective, as if I thought that "complexity" did not need more specificity, when in fact I went on to advise you to be specific. Then you suggested that I think there is just one type of "complexity," when in fact I specifically cited two kinds of complexity and did not indicate that two was the limit either.

Your posts! They are not doing much for me. What will your next account be called, anyway? I'm trying to sense a pattern here. Well, probably something short?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:59:31 am by Donald X. »

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:45 am »
+4

What will your next account be called, anyway? I'm trying to sense a pattern here. Well, probably something short?
weety5
-The Compulsive Completist

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3787 on: April 28, 2017, 02:51:10 am »
+1

What will your next account be called, anyway? I'm trying to sense a pattern here. Well, probably something short?
weety5

How about horatio88?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 30, 2017, 10:06:09 pm »
+4

weety5

How about horatio88?

I think this is uncalled for.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:11 pm »

I was specific, and distinguished between "strategic complexity" and "rules complexity."

You dropped the adjective, as if I thought that "complexity" did not need more specificity, when in fact I went on to advise you to be specific. Then you suggested that I think there is just one type of "complexity," when in fact I specifically cited two kinds of complexity and did not indicate that two was the limit either.

Your posts! They are not doing much for me. What will your next account be called, anyway? I'm trying to sense a pattern here. Well, probably something short?
I repeat what I said: rule difficulty has nothing to do with any form of complexity. Difficulty and complexity are often not sharply distinguished in such discussions. So much about communicating clearly.

Not that it makes much sense to discuss a topic with a rude guy who accuses me of sucking at English or at using several accounts.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:02:38 pm by weety4 »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: May 04, 2017, 03:36:34 pm »
+2

Not that it makes much sense to discuss a topic with a rude guy
That, I think, is painfully obvious.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: May 04, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »
+1

Feel free to point out where I was as rude to Donald as he was to me.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3792 on: May 04, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »
+1

...have you ever written a post where you weren't at least as rude to someone as Donald was to you?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: May 04, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »
+6

This is embarrassing.

You know, I have had some similar internet arguments like this years ago where I was obnoxious and wrong, and occasionally to this day I just ask myself: why.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:24 pm »

This is embarrassing.

You know, I have had some similar internet arguments like this years ago where I was obnoxious and wrong, and occasionally to this day I just ask myself: why.
I am happily interested in discussing the numerous forms game complexity. Which is all I actually did here. If some game designer cannot stand that I view "rule complexity", as opposed to rule difficulty, as a nonsensical term, so be it.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: May 04, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »

This is embarrassing.

I am happily interested in discussing the numerous forms game complexity. Which is all I actually did here. If some game designer cannot stand that I view "rule complexity", as opposed to rule difficulty, as a nonsensical term, so be it.
Poe's law in full force. Perhaps I'm just oblivious, but I can't tell if this is trolling or not.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: May 04, 2017, 05:40:12 pm »
+1

Let's just stop it right here.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: May 04, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
+6

Not that it makes much sense to discuss a topic with a rude guy who accuses me of sucking at English or at using several accounts.
I am indeed rude. For example I am rude enough to say, that it will be awesome if you do not actually make a new account after this one is banned.

weety4

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: May 04, 2017, 05:46:17 pm »

This is embarrassing.

Poe's law in full force. Perhaps I'm just oblivious, but I can't tell if this is trolling or not.
Sure, what you is fine but me wanting to stay on topic is trolling. Fair is foul and foul is fair.  ::)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: May 04, 2017, 06:00:18 pm »
+28

I am indeed rude. For example I am rude enough to say, that it will be awesome if you do not actually make a new account after this one is banned.
In fact he made a new account a few minutes later to say

Quote from: yougotsomeseriousissues
Wow, you got some serious issues. Probably not used somebody disagreeing with the boss.  :D
Leck mein Rosettchen Donaldchen.  8)
I guess hey, it's rude to accuse someone of making multiple accounts even if they're doing it.

Edit: theory reports that that account's email address is gofuckyourselfdonald@gmx.at. I am just reporting this because it's hilarious.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:03:22 pm by Donald X. »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.