Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127805 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3725 on: March 05, 2017, 09:21:50 am »

Have you listened to any of the tracks that have been released for 50 Song Memoir yet?  He's been releasing one a day as a countdown.
This does not appear to be accurate. There were five three months ago and have been two more since then.

I have listened to those seven. I liked '83: Foxx and I, so I've heard that one more times than the rest. My expectations for the album are suitably low; there will be songs I like, but it's not going to be 69 Love Songs II.

Oh, I may have been mistaken.  I thought there were audio links on the countdown. (I'm just seeing things on Facebook feed but was holding back looking into it.) I did listen to the initial five. 

I'm not sure I'd expect anything to be as impactful as 69 Love Songs.  I think regardless of any kind of objective comparison (which I don't know if there is), there is a psychological bias.. you can't have that experience of discovering for the first time again.

What I'd really like is for him to do another 6ths album.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: March 06, 2017, 04:56:07 pm »

Have you listened to any of the tracks that have been released for 50 Song Memoir yet?  He's been releasing one a day as a countdown.
This does not appear to be accurate. There were five three months ago and have been two more since then.

I have listened to those seven. I liked '83: Foxx and I, so I've heard that one more times than the rest. My expectations for the album are suitably low; there will be songs I like, but it's not going to be 69 Love Songs II.

Oh, I may have been mistaken.  I thought there were audio links on the countdown. (I'm just seeing things on Facebook feed but was holding back looking into it.) I did listen to the initial five. 

I'm not sure I'd expect anything to be as impactful as 69 Love Songs.  I think regardless of any kind of objective comparison (which I don't know if there is), there is a psychological bias.. you can't have that experience of discovering for the first time again.

What I'd really like is for him to do another 6ths album.

Have either of you listened to the Magnetic Fields Song Exploder episode? It's a fascinating glimpse into his songwriting process.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: March 06, 2017, 04:59:26 pm »

I haven't heard of Song Exploder.  I did watch the documentary on him (Strange Powers).

Edit: I looked it up; really cool.  There is also one with the guys that did the Bojack Horseman intro.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:23:00 pm by Witherweaver »

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: March 07, 2017, 01:39:37 pm »

I haven't heard of Song Exploder.  I did watch the documentary on him (Strange Powers).

Edit: I looked it up; really cool.  There is also one with the guys that did the Bojack Horseman intro.

Also GoT, Bob's Burgers, and Legend of Korra. And a lot of other good stuff.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: March 08, 2017, 09:18:18 am »
+4

Is the Temporum expansion still on track to release this month?  If so, will you do previews for it?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: March 08, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »

Have either of you listened to the Magnetic Fields Song Exploder episode? It's a fascinating glimpse into his songwriting process.
I haven't heard it. I did see the NPR thing where he writes a song.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: March 08, 2017, 04:38:46 pm »
+2

Is the Temporum expansion still on track to release this month?  If so, will you do previews for it?
I don't have any new news, so, to the best of my knowledge it's on track. As usual the big sign for me will be when my copies show up, and before that, an email from the shippers. I haven't gotten it.

Previews uh. Possibly one combination preview / secret history article. That has been my plan, as I didn't have a lot to say for a secret history, and it sure doesn't need multiple previews.

Sparkskite

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: March 08, 2017, 10:31:31 pm »

Since you have revised Intrigue with the 2nd edition release, how does it fit into your suggested order of expansions? Also, does it shake up your ordering of expansions in terms of quality? For example, has it surpassed Seaside?

I found the base Dominion set to be much, much more interesting since the 2nd edition release, so I was wondering how much better Intrigue has become.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: March 08, 2017, 11:37:10 pm »
+8

Since you have revised Intrigue with the 2nd edition release, how does it fit into your suggested order of expansions? Also, does it shake up your ordering of expansions in terms of quality? For example, has it surpassed Seaside?

I found the base Dominion set to be much, much more interesting since the 2nd edition release, so I was wondering how much better Intrigue has become.
It's better than it was! That's not a question for me but for players, but I mean, I certainly think I fixed it up, when I was trying to fix it up. Well done Donald X.!

What order to get the expansions in depends on what kind of a gamer you are. I like Dark Ages, Adventures, and Empires the best, in some order, and some gamers will be ready to go straight there, but some will not. If you are not, I'd get Intrigue first, then probably Prosperity; casual players like Prosperity a lot, and hey you get Platinum/Colony. Then Cornucopia / Guilds, which will be more complex but uh with the main set and two expansions you are probably getting the hang of things.

Seaside is now the lowest quality large expansion (one of them had to be), because it's the oldest and didn't get a new-cards 2nd edition.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: March 09, 2017, 11:07:56 am »
+4

So, I know that Courtyard, Summon and Settlers were designed by people other than Donald X. I'm very, very sorry to ask this here, as I bet Donald has answered this a lot of times before... But are there any other cards by other people I forgot? It's okay if someone else remembers, I don't need Donald himself to go through the trouble of answering it again. I just didn't find it on the Wiki, and thought that if there was any place to ask, it would be this. I mean, we don't need another thread for this, and it's better this post than a bad meme, right? Right?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: March 09, 2017, 11:27:44 am »
+6

So, I know that Courtyard, Summon and Settlers were designed by people other than Donald X. I'm very, very sorry to ask this here, as I bet Donald has answered this a lot of times before... But are there any other cards by other people I forgot? It's okay if someone else remembers, I don't need Donald himself to go through the trouble of answering it again. I just didn't find it on the Wiki, and thought that if there was any place to ask, it would be this. I mean, we don't need another thread for this, and it's better this post than a bad meme, right? Right?

Dame Josephine suggested Counting House, but Donald changed it from getting Silvers to getting Coppers. Castles were sorta-kinda a collaboration; I started testing a version of them independently (with his blessing), then he took over and fixed them up. Lots of cards have fixes suggested by whoever. It's tough to draw a line there, for me anyway.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: March 09, 2017, 12:17:32 pm »

Thanks, LastFootnote  :D

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: March 09, 2017, 01:32:42 pm »
+1

There's also notes in the Secret Histories about playtesters suggesting final changes to cards, like LF (I think) suggesting turning Coin of the Realm into a Treasure.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:07 pm »

I don't remember if Architecture in Helsinki ever came up when talking about music before.  Do you listen to them?  Someone showed me one of their songs (Do The Whirlwind, the music video is cool) quite a few years ago, but I never looked further into them.  I just got an album from them (In Case We Die, from which Do the Whirlwind came).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: March 09, 2017, 05:11:47 pm »
+5

People have covered this; there's Counting House, and LastFootnote collaborated on the Castles including making Small Castle. You could look through the secret histories. I also try to cover changes that other people suggested, which there are more of.

Dame Molly suggested "spendy" as an expansion theme, which led to Prosperity. Governor is based on Puerto Rico, though I actually had that mechanic pre-Puerto Rico.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: March 09, 2017, 05:14:03 pm »
+2

I don't remember if Architecture in Helsinki ever came up when talking about music before.  Do you listen to them?  Someone showed me one of their songs (Do The Whirlwind, the music video is cool) quite a few years ago, but I never looked further into them.  I just got an album from them (In Case We Die, from which Do the Whirlwind came).
In Case We Die is their best album, and the only one I'd recommend. The debut is similar but not as good; the two later albums are like a different band (and then they broke up).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: March 09, 2017, 06:12:28 pm »

Yes, I realize now that I should have looked through the secret histories instead of looking for it in the Wiki. Thank you guys for the answers, thank you Donald, and sorry for bothering you.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: March 10, 2017, 01:54:20 am »

The band is awesome! I do love "That Beep" video, go watch it if you haven't already.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: March 10, 2017, 05:51:23 pm »

Initial favorite tracks or just thoughts from 50 Song Memoir?  I have listened through only once, and while at work, so not really with full focus.  The initial ones that stuck out to me were "No", "How I Failed Ethics", (those two were released before I think), "I Wish I Had Pictures", "You Can Never Go Back to New York".  I didn't like "I'm Sad!".. I don't recall any others that I had much of negative reaction to; many were fairly neutral. 

I find my views on songs (in general, but maybe especially his) change a lot after multiple listens.  Sometimes ones that didn't make any impression on me the first time end up being lasting favorites.  I seem to almost always like his songs more as I listen to them more.

The Shins' new album came out today as well.  I bought it but haven't listened yet.  I never got into their last one, though I was a huge fan of the first three.  I'm hoping this one will be a return to what I liked, but we'll see.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: March 10, 2017, 06:40:38 pm »
+1

Initial favorite tracks or just thoughts from 50 Song Memoir?
In my youth I went to the record store every Tuesday to get new stuff (also new stuff came out on Tuesdays). These days I order stuff online and click the free shipping button. So it will be a week before I have any idea what I think of this album.

I can tell you that Wedding in Finistere was the highlight of the new (but not today-new) Jens Lekman, then How We Met, the Long Version (which I already knew from Postcards, his series of a-song-a-week for 2015).

The Shins' new album came out today as well.  I bought it but haven't listened yet.  I never got into their last one, though I was a huge fan of the first three.  I'm hoping this one will be a return to what I liked, but we'll see.
I'm going to listen to some of it on youtube and see if I actually want it. I liked the first two and the fourth, but not the third.

There is also a Laura Marling album today (she was in Noah and the Whale for their first album) (she did not stick around for 5 years).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: March 10, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »
+1

For the Shins, I think my personal rating is:

Chutes Too Narrow
Wincing the Night Away
Oh, Inverted World
Ports of Morrow

I really liked the third, but not the fourth. It's hard for me to rate the first three, sometimes I think one is the best, and then sometimes another one.

When I was young, I'd go to CD stores, but I wouldn't be getting the new stuff because I had this huge backlog of music to get.  It started with Queen.  Now I buy everything on Google Play and just get the electronic version instead of the CDs.  I missed the vinyl age :/. I'm not sure if I'm at any risk with digital ownership, but I also download some to my devices.  Though one annoying thing with just getting the digital versions is you don't get the liner notes, which for some artists is important.

I didn't know about Laura Marling; I liked her in Noah and the Whale.  I don't know the other artists either, but I'll look into them.

One band that I had listened to some years past but forgot about for some time is Matt Pond PA.  Not sure if you've heard of them but you may like them.  Kind of Indy/Folk singer/songwriter  I have Several Arrows Later and like it, and also Last Light, but I prefer Several Arrows Later.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: March 12, 2017, 05:17:26 pm »

Did you consider changing the wording of Bridge for the second edition of Intrigue? Technically, the "but not less than 0 coins" wording doesn't cover the coin value of Potion and Debt costs going into negatives. Or is that just something that doesn't come up, anyhow?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:18:44 pm by Asper »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: March 12, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »
+1

Did you consider changing the wording of Bridge for the second edition of Intrigue? Technically, the "but not less than 0 coins" wording doesn't cover the coin value of Potion and Debt costs going into negatives. Or is that just something that doesn't come up, anyhow?
I both considered changing and did change the wording for Bridge, though not the way you're talking about. The question you're referring to took years to come up as a poke-at-rules questions and would not be a factor in wording Bridge.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: March 23, 2017, 10:51:55 am »

Greed rule question:
How does the interaction between Ted "Naoleon" Bonham (gets Gun and Key next turn) and Ed "Rubberface" Teach (copies a Thug) work?
A) If you copy Napoleon while his effect is active, do you copy the temporary Gun and Key as well? Are they temporary on Rubberface as well?
B) Rubberface says do "its" rules. Is "it" Rubberface or the guy he copies, i.e. if you copy Napoleon, does Napoleon get the the icons next turn or does Rubberface?

Also, am I right to assume you can stack Masterplans with Pete "Repeat", the guy who lets you play a second card next turn, and Hideout?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:53:18 am by Watno »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: March 23, 2017, 07:26:04 pm »
+2

Greed rule question:
How does the interaction between Ted "Naoleon" Bonham (gets Gun and Key next turn) and Ed "Rubberface" Teach (copies a Thug) work?
A) If you copy Napoleon while his effect is active, do you copy the temporary Gun and Key as well? Are they temporary on Rubberface as well?
B) Rubberface says do "its" rules. Is "it" Rubberface or the guy he copies, i.e. if you copy Napoleon, does Napoleon get the the icons next turn or does Rubberface?
If you play Rubberface as Napoleon, it's like you played a second Napoleon. It looks like Napoleon, it has the extra icons on your next turn.

A) The idea was to copy the card itself, which wouldn't include the temporary effect. Man it seems simpler if that's what it does. It's super-unlikely to ever matter (if you got the icons for one turn; you aren't getting them permanently).
B) Rubberface gets the icons, not Napoleon.

Also, am I right to assume you can stack Masterplans with Pete "Repeat", the guy who lets you play a second card next turn, and Hideout?
I play Louie. Next turn I play Pete and Hideout, repeating Louie (and Pete). Next turn I play Master Plan. It returns to my hand and I play it again (and it returns to my hand again).

Normally, Master Plan would stay out - the rules have cards that do something next turn stay out to track that. Pete overrides that and puts the card into your hand (already relevant just with Pete plus Master Plan). So you could play Master Plan again there for a quadruple $ turn.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.