Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126745 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3675 on: January 29, 2017, 09:40:28 pm »

Are there types of games which you enjoy playing but would not be good at designing?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: January 30, 2017, 12:00:36 am »

Do you think the limited availability of the chits in Kingdom Builder is a good change that was made when adding them for tracking?

Would you have provided chits for each player of it was feasible?

(This would obviously change the strength of canoe now, but that ability obviously post dates the chits.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: January 30, 2017, 01:30:07 am »
+2

Are there types of games which you enjoy playing but would not be good at designing?
I feel pretty capable game-wise.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:59 am »
+4

Do you think the limited availability of the chits in Kingdom Builder is a good change that was made when adding them for tracking?

Would you have provided chits for each player of it was feasible?
No (considering only that) and no.

It was much better to have chits then to have to look at the board to see what your abilities were. It's great to be able to flip the chits over as you use them each turn. It was totally worth it to get those things and in exchange only have two chits per spot. But it would be better to have three. I don't think you need four; technically all four players can be by a hex, but it's much less of a thing. The other players aren't looking to share. And you don't always have four players.

I would also change it so that when you move away, you put the chit back (and can get it back again). Then there's no tracking issue (currently you have to remember you lost an ability - not hard and not common but still).

I don't know if the extra chits would make any sense commercially. I mean they'd be in the cost. The game is not cheap as it is.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: January 30, 2017, 03:19:15 am »
+10

this thread is for interviewing Donald X.

The title says "Interview with Donald X" - doesn't have to be about us interviewing you.

Got any questions for us?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: January 30, 2017, 03:03:47 pm »
+2

this thread is for interviewing Donald X.

The title says "Interview with Donald X" - doesn't have to be about us interviewing you.

Yeah, I thought that this was going to be an essay by Donald X that was all about interviewing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:37 pm »

I can't wait to see the Donald X.-designed worker placement game.  Or maybe that's already Temporum?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: January 30, 2017, 07:54:04 pm »

I can't wait to see the Donald X.-designed worker placement game.  Or maybe that's already Temporum?

I don't think so. To me, worker placement means that other players can prevent you (or at least discourage you) from doing an action by taking it earlier in a turn. Maybe there are some Temporum zones that care if you're alone there? Or maybe I'm just thinking of how Primitive Paradise puts that $2 on each zone that you need to be alone to take. And Balloon Revolution is better if you're not alone there. Anyway it's not the key mechanic of the game.

I tend to find worker placement games much more frustrating than fun.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: January 30, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »
+1

I tend to find worker placement games much more frustrating than fun.

You know, I tend to share that sentiment, but I thoroughly enjoyed A Feast for Odin.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: January 30, 2017, 11:59:48 pm »
+2

Mostly I am looking to make new games; the more it's an existing thing, the less interested I am. So I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of me making a worker placement game.

I did look at the problem one day, and made a list of twists on the concept.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: January 31, 2017, 12:05:31 am »

I'm not shy about asking questions, so I don't have unanswered ones sitting around. And I don't want to try to think of something just so I can ask it.

So my disappointing answer for you is no, no questions.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: January 31, 2017, 12:12:11 am »

What are your thoughts on games with props (like Carcassonne: Catapult) or "extra dimensions" (like Star Trek chess)?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:10 am »
+2

What are your thoughts on games with props (like Carcassonne: Catapult) or "extra dimensions" (like Star Trek chess)?
I don't think I understand the general question.

Carcassonne: The Catapult was stepping too far away from the premise, the part Carcassonne fans like. It's fine to make dexterity games, but you don't want to add dexterity elements to non-dexterity games. You just shrink your audience so much.

I don't know the rules to Star Trek chess, but the appearance of it is fine; it's just a different topology for a board. And it's the premise, not an expansion.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: January 31, 2017, 08:11:07 am »

Have you ever considered making a game with a dexterity component? How about a real time game like Galaxy Trucker or Escape?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:59 am »

Do you ever go to game nights hosted by friends or family for fun? Or do you almost exclusively play to playtest?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: January 31, 2017, 04:11:58 pm »
+1

Have you ever considered making a game with a dexterity component? How about a real time game like Galaxy Trucker or Escape?
Well I have made video games with dexterity. I haven't made a board game with dexterity. I haven't given it much thought either.

Galaxy Trucker is cool, the real-time idea was great, but I personally would rather just build my ship in peace. At this point of course other people have made those games; I would need some really novel take to be excited there.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: January 31, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »
+1

Do you ever go to game nights hosted by friends or family for fun? Or do you almost exclusively play to playtest?
You have asked this oddly; why does it matter who's hosting?

I play games for non-playtesting fun. How much depends on how busy I am with playtesting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: January 31, 2017, 04:18:33 pm »
+1

board game with dexterity.

Over Christmas, I was a friend's place for dinner, with me, friend, and friend-of-friend.  After eating, we decided to play Jenga.  Got out the game, set it all up, friend goes and removes a piece; I go and remove a piece.  Then friend-of-friend very slowly and very obviously brings the entire tower crashing down on their first move.  It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  We put the game away and never spoke of it again.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: January 31, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »

Over Christmas, I was a friend's place for dinner, with me, friend, and friend-of-friend.  After eating, we decided to play Jenga.  Got out the game, set it all up, friend goes and removes a piece; I go and remove a piece.  Then friend-of-friend very slowly and very obviously brings the entire tower crashing down on their first move.  It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  We put the game away and never spoke of it again.

Jenga is a great game. It's especially fun to remove the third piece of a layer.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: January 31, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »
+4

Jenga is a great game. It's especially fun to remove the third piece of a layer.

Obligatory:

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: January 31, 2017, 09:23:16 pm »

Do you pay attention to the BGG ranking of your games at all?  Dominion is currently #52, I think it was in the top 20 and maybe even #9 a few years ago.

Is it in your power to have the second edition entries merged with the first editions?  Second editions seem to be leading to a lot of balkanization for many games recently (Dominion, Agricola, Viticulture, etc.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: February 01, 2017, 02:05:09 am »

Do you pay attention to the BGG ranking of your games at all?  Dominion is currently #52, I think it was in the top 20 and maybe even #9 a few years ago.
I'm not keeping tabs on them, but I've checked them. Also Amazon rank. Either Dominion or Intrigue made it to #6 on BGG back in the day.

Is it in your power to have the second edition entries merged with the first editions?  Second editions seem to be leading to a lot of balkanization for many games recently (Dominion, Agricola, Viticulture, etc.)
I do not understand this use of "balkanization." I don't have the ability to cause changes at BGG.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:41 am »

I do not understand this use of "balkanization." I don't have the ability to cause changes at BGG.

The communities, forums and such are divided.  If I want to look for a rules question for example, I need to search both the original and revised edition forums.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3698 on: February 01, 2017, 05:02:09 pm »

How come there are no cost-reducers, Remodelers, etc. that deal specifically with Debt in Empires?  So like Alchemy had Apprentice, Alchemist, and Apothecary, which care about Potions not during the Buy phase.  But Empires doesn't have any sort of mechanics for Debt (at least not one that I can think of).

EDIT: I guess Capital cares about Debt not during the Buy phase, but I think that's it.

It would have been cool if, say, a Landmark penalized you if you were in debt at the end of the game or something.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:05:53 pm by Dingan »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »
+3

A card that referred to debt would most games be referring to nothing, except to the degree that the card itself also provided debt. I mean you deal out 10 random cards and mostly don't get one with debt. Whereas Apothecary knows Potion is in the game, because it put it there. Apprentice, the Potion clause there was a mistake; it was the only card in the set that didn't involve Potions, so I put on that clause, which doubles as answering the rules question that comes up there. But mostly it just makes the card more complex.

There were Remodels that involved debt; they didn't work out. See the Secret History.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.