Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126787 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3600 on: January 15, 2017, 05:41:49 pm »
+2

So Donald, how's that secret dominion expansion you're working on coming along?
Another fine candidate for lamest joke ever posted on f.ds. What's special about this one is that it's trying to get me to be done with this thread. That's gonna be hard to top.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:44 am »
+2

Is there any question you haven't answered yet that you would like someone to ask?

Or anything related to your job as a game designer that you would like to talk about but haven't had the chance to yet?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:48:27 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:24 am »

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: January 16, 2017, 08:35:09 am »
+5

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?

My QFT professor used to day there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.

...a very approachable man.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:53 am »
+1

Another fine candidate for lamest joke ever posted on f.ds. What's special about this one is that it's trying to get me to be done with this thread. That's gonna be hard to top.

What are the other candidates?  Man I hope I made the list.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: January 16, 2017, 10:46:08 am »
+2

What are the other candidates?  Man I hope I made the list.
We need to make a top 30 list.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: January 16, 2017, 11:35:56 am »
+3

Is there any question you haven't answered yet that you would like someone to ask?

Or anything related to your job as a game designer that you would like to talk about but haven't had the chance to yet?
No; I think I have established that I do not have trouble talking endlessly about whatever I feel like talking about. I mean here are some posts: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=14.0

I'm sure there are game design speeches I haven't given, but only ones where I also do not feel compelled to give them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: January 16, 2017, 12:00:52 pm »

Why is the zone in Temporum named "Mere Anarchy" and not just "Anarchy"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: January 16, 2017, 12:05:49 pm »
+1

While we've got you here, any news on when Alternate Realities will release?  Also, why is it "Mere Anarchy" and not just "Anarchy"?
My best guess is late February or early March.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_(poem)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: January 16, 2017, 12:07:01 pm »

I think this was answered recently somewhere on f.DS. You could probably search for it. I would if I weren't on mobile.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3610 on: January 16, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »
+1

I think this was answered recently somewhere on f.DS. You could probably search for it. I would if I weren't on mobile.

In fact, it was answered directly above your post!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: January 16, 2017, 02:40:47 pm »

Have stats from online play figured into the design process? Will they?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: January 16, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »

In fact, it was answered directly above your post!

He answered my first question, not my second question.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: January 16, 2017, 03:49:57 pm »
+3

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: January 16, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »
+2

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Aha.  Interesting.  I thought "the second coming" was referencing when the expansion would come out.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: January 16, 2017, 04:56:12 pm »

Have stats from online play figured into the design process?
I don't even see how this could happen. Like, I guess I could find out that an effect was stronger than I expected; except, I would already have found that out other ways.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: January 16, 2017, 05:01:00 pm »
+1

Aha.  Interesting.  I thought "the second coming" was referencing when the expansion would come out.
Late February or early March dude. There will be no commemorative blood-dimmed tide.

If you would like to be "cultured," if that's even a thing these days, if that's even a thing anyone could possibly want or which would have any value, then, I dunno, seems to me, there's a poem worth reading.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: January 16, 2017, 09:41:01 pm »

Have stats from online play figured into the design process?
I don't even see how this could happen. Like, I guess I could find out that an effect was stronger than I expected; except, I would already have found that out other ways.

Lots of ways, and that's without "rate your game" or "veto mode" features to evaluate enjoyment and popularity respectively.

For example, you could see how many cards Farming Village reveals on average,  and whether that draw effect is worth pursuing on another card (eg a card that draws until it reveals an action or treasure,  then discard for benefit). See how well an effect actually works, beyond just how strong a card is.

Deconstruct how a card works as a springboard for ideas. An analysis of how remodel is used (ie often less than 2 more) would have easily led to the idea for Butcher (what if you got rewarded for not using the full remodel).

Or you could see how often effects like Vagrant, Merchant etc. actually work to set benchmarks for new conditional cantrips.

Big data is useful in general. Which cards are associated with ragequits? What cards are popular with beginners/intermediate/experts (so you can design a mix to have the right appeal)

And then there's revising expansions (or designing new cards that better achieve the concepts of old cards).

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: January 16, 2017, 11:01:33 pm »
+1

In Kingdom Builder: Marshlands, Getting both Refuge or Fountain tokens "upgrades" the ability.  If I take the second one on my turn before using the first one, is the first ability "upgraded" immediately, effecting my move this turn, or is the "upgrade" not available until the next turn like the tile?

Similarly if I take the second Temple tile before my mandatory action, can I use the ability this turn?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:21 am »
+5

For example, you could see how many cards Farming Village reveals on average,  and whether that draw effect is worth pursuing on another card (eg a card that draws until it reveals an action or treasure,  then discard for benefit). See how well an effect actually works, beyond just how strong a card is.
But what I really care about there is how much people like the card. I get an idea as to how useful the effect is from actual games and playtesters playing actual games, and then when it's published people say how good they think it is on forums. Knowing that stuff more precisely doesn't really get me anywhere, for an already published card. If people love Farming Village, then I can say, I should do another one of those. I can learn that from forums but not from game logs.

Deconstruct how a card works as a springboard for ideas. An analysis of how remodel is used (ie often less than 2 more) would have easily led to the idea for Butcher (what if you got rewarded for not using the full remodel).
It is good to have a variety of techniques for coming up with ideas, and I am there, I have ways to come up with ideas. I made it to Butcher and everything.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:05 am »
+2

In Kingdom Builder: Marshlands, Getting both Refuge or Fountain tokens "upgrades" the ability.  If I take the second one on my turn before using the first one, is the first ability "upgraded" immediately, effecting my move this turn, or is the "upgrade" not available until the next turn like the tile?

Similarly if I take the second Temple tile before my mandatory action, can I use the ability this turn?
The upgrade doesn't take effect until next turn, like other abilities from tiles. Same with Temple.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:12 pm »

The upgrade doesn't take effect until next turn, like other abilities from tiles. Same with Temple.

And if I recall correctly, Canoe can be used on the next player's turn, but not on the same turn you take the Canoe tile, correct?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: January 17, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »
+1

And if I recall correctly, Canoe can be used on the next player's turn, but not on the same turn you take the Canoe tile, correct?
That is the house rule I recommend, and the way I have always played it. A technical reading of the rulebook suggests that abilities refresh at the start of your turn, which would make Canoe not work until your next turn.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: January 19, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »

I have been playing a lot of Kingdom Builder lately. My questions are do you feel it's necessary to have caves tied to the tavern or would rolling a d20 be fine. For the island, you recommend the harbor and the lighthouse if you want to see it more frequently. Do you feel the island should be tied to these two quadrants or do you think it's fine to roll a d20 to see if it comes up and assign it to whatever boards pop up?

And, finally, my last question is about Task cards. Why do they have to be tied to the quadrants from crossroads? Would rolling a d20 to decide if task cards come up alter your vision of how they should be played? Also, why do you play with 0-4 task cards? Why not 0-1? Just asking because when I had two crossroads boards and two task cards, a friend of mine was suffering from AP.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: January 19, 2017, 06:08:55 pm »
+2

I have been playing a lot of Kingdom Builder lately. My questions are do you feel it's necessary to have caves tied to the tavern or would rolling a d20 be fine. For the island, you recommend the harbor and the lighthouse if you want to see it more frequently. Do you feel the island should be tied to these two quadrants or do you think it's fine to roll a d20 to see if it comes up and assign it to whatever boards pop up?
As always I encourage people to play whatever variants they prefer.

It's not important that Caves/Island go with certain boards; there just had to be a rule for when to use them, something in-between "always" and "never." At one point it was a deck of cards - when using a board from the 4th expansion, turn over a card, and one added Caves and one added Island.

And, finally, my last question is about Task cards. Why do they have to be tied to the quadrants from crossroads? Would rolling a d20 to decide if task cards come up alter your vision of how they should be played? Also, why do you play with 0-4 task cards? Why not 0-1? Just asking because when I had two crossroads boards and two task cards, a friend of mine was suffering from AP.
Again there just had to be a rule saying when to use the cards. I wanted to sometimes have more than one and went with the boards. I don't mind if you prefer 0-1.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.