Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2139201 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3550 on: December 13, 2016, 11:56:38 pm »
+4

Where are these forums? I realize there are probably various levels of access. Is there a part of them for the public, and what's the link?
If part of them is public, you should be able to find that part easily on google.

EPenguin

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: December 21, 2016, 02:28:22 pm »
+1

Is it accidental that the 2nd edition Base set has nine 5-cost cards, which makes a kingdom with Artisan?

Have you played this kingdom, and even if not, what are your thoughts on it?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: December 21, 2016, 06:04:41 pm »
+6

Is it accidental that the 2nd edition Base set has nine 5-cost cards, which makes a kingdom with Artisan?

The main set intentionally has more $5's, but it doesn't intentionally have exactly the number for a board with Artisan and all of them.

I have not played it. Uh I dunno. Probably open Silver/Silver? Maybe get an Artisan. I don't discuss strategy much.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: December 21, 2016, 06:08:06 pm »
+8

The main set intentionally has more $5's, but it doesn't intentionally have exactly the number for a board with Artisan and all of them.

I have not played it. Uh I dunno. Probably open Silver/Silver? Maybe get an Artisan. I don't discuss strategy much.
He doesn't want to leak the scout pin.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: December 27, 2016, 01:59:07 am »
+1

How much/what information do the artists get other than card names? How much of the art concept is up to them? Was Wild Hunt supposed to have green spirits and a surprised moon for example?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: December 27, 2016, 03:22:04 am »
+13

How much/what information do the artists get other than card names? How much of the art concept is up to them? Was Wild Hunt supposed to have green spirits and a surprised moon for example?
Originally there was just the name, and maybe like "it's a medieval game or something."

Some Intrigue cards showed the wrong things. The original art for Pawn for example ended up on Goons. Steward showed a guy with a serving tray. So, after that, I typed up terse descriptions of what the card flavor was - nothing like your example, but a little for them to go on.

Guilds has mostly art by female artists. It still has mostly male characters though. For Adventures I started also specifying male/female on appropriate cards. For Empires I went further because I knew that "a crowd of people" would easily become "a crowd of only men." In fact there's an example in Empires of "a crowd of people including both men and women" drawn with all men anyway.

Wild Hunt is a European folklore thing - not so Roman but in the set anyway. I didn't go into that in the artist notes though.

Wild Hunt: A group of ghostly hunters, on horses and with hounds, in the sky, chasing prey.

The longest one for Empires is Enchantress.

Enchantress: A character like Circe in Homer's Odyssey; an enchantress who has apparently turned someone into a pig (but not shown doing magic).

And a few are very short.

Conquest: Visigoths attacking Rome.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: December 27, 2016, 07:10:09 am »
+10

I bet you specifically asked for "arthritic knee in the tent on the snow" for one of the earlier cards (forgot it's name).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: December 28, 2016, 10:56:38 am »

Was a reverse order Patrol playtested? (Scout, then +3 Cards)? It seems like a better card, as even at worst it's draw "Best 3 of 4", so you'd never feel like you "got nothing" (above and beyond Smithy) from playing it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:11 am »

In future revised editions, would you ever consider replacing Cards with functionally similar Events (eg Masterpiece, Cache, Ill Gotten Gains) to free up space for new card shaped things?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: December 28, 2016, 12:23:45 pm »

In future revised editions, would you ever consider replacing Cards with functionally similar Events (eg Masterpiece, Cache, Ill Gotten Gains) to free up space for new card shaped things?

Masterpiece already has that in Delve.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: December 28, 2016, 07:08:37 pm »
+4

Was a reverse order Patrol playtested? (Scout, then +3 Cards)? It seems like a better card, as even at worst it's draw "Best 3 of 4", so you'd never feel like you "got nothing" (above and beyond Smithy) from playing it.
I tested a variety of Patrols, but not that specifically.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: December 28, 2016, 07:12:14 pm »
+5

There are no plans to replace any cards in any of the other expansions. The not-labelled-as-such second editions will just have improved layout and wordings.

In both Adventures and Empires, cards were replaced with Events, during work on the set. For example Banquet started out as a treasure worth $1 that came with a $5 and a Copper.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: December 29, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »

I got the Kingdom Builder Big Box for Christmas and love the game so far. I was reading your comments on BGG about the Caves promo and how Queens left out the part about it coming up with the Tavern. My question is are there any other things Queen Games ignored or outright changed rules-wise? I'm just curious because I would like to play the game as you intended and not as how Queen Games believes is the best way to play the game.

And, I do have one rules-question about the game. Supposed I build a settlement next to a location tile, get the tile, move my settlement and then build a new settlement by the location tile, will I get the second location tile, assuming I have no other touching settlements?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: December 29, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »

And, I do have one rules-question about the game. Supposed I build a settlement next to a location tile, get the tile, move my settlement and then build a new settlement by the location tile, will I get the second location tile, assuming I have no other touching settlements?

That's a good question! I'd say the spirit of the rules would suggest you won't - you can't monopolise a location apart from building all the way around it. But since the game state has no way of tracking who had the other tile, I feel like the rules don't actually prohibit you from doing this.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: December 29, 2016, 04:32:28 pm »

This one I can answer. No, you don't get the tile. And of course you lose the first tile when you move all your settlements away from the location; it goes back in the box.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: December 29, 2016, 06:32:43 pm »

Thanks.  :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: December 30, 2016, 03:57:50 am »
+2

I got the Kingdom Builder Big Box for Christmas and love the game so far. I was reading your comments on BGG about the Caves promo and how Queens left out the part about it coming up with the Tavern. My question is are there any other things Queen Games ignored or outright changed rules-wise? I'm just curious because I would like to play the game as you intended and not as how Queen Games believes is the best way to play the game.
For the base game, they changed it from 50 to 40 pieces, but I think that was a good move. They gave some things poor names (e.g. "Discoverers") but what can you do there.

At the time, I got what I wanted for the lose-an-ability rule (that your post goes on to ask about). Today I would probably do that differently; I would have you return the ability to the hex if you are no longer adjacent, and let you get it back. There's no tracking that way, and it removes e.g. "I take this chit with my ship and immediately lose it, just so you can't have it." I never tested it that way exactly, but for a long time you had abilities by being next to the hex - there were no chits, so conceivably a spot could be shared among 6 players. And of course moving away meant you were no longer there and thus no longer had the ability. I wanted the chits for ease of play, but the way losing them works could have been better.

KB: Crossroads had mistakes in initial printed rulebooks that it was simpler for them not to completely fix, so they didn't fix them all. The big thing was that I had it that you couldn't use movement abilities on the tokens, the wagon and ship and uh barbarian or whatever it is. It's confusing if you can. And the Crossroads ability let you pick any terrain if your two cards matched.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: January 05, 2017, 05:57:08 am »

What is the deal with promos? Are they a money-making venture? Break even? Donation to BGG?
-The Compulsive Completist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: January 05, 2017, 08:00:56 am »
+7

What is the deal with promos? Are they a money-making venture? Break even? Donation to BGG?
They're promotional!

Me: I give them to RGG. I make no money from them. I might benefit from the promotion though. Hard to say.
RGG: RGG gives them to BGG. It's RGG's (current) way of supporting BGG. RGG loses money on the deal... but might benefit from the promotion. And benefits from BGG being successful.
BGG: Sells them! To BGG they are money-making.
Other publishers: They have been free to do what they wanted with the promos. They have done a variety of things. For example I received a copy of the Japanese Dominion strategy guide (some years ago) and it came with Stash. So, I infer that they used Stash to try to sell that strategy guide. I don't believe other publishers are handed printed promos from RGG - they get them printed. So probably they lose money on them... but gain promotion.
Other entities: In some cases a promo came with a magazine or was at a particular con or something. So those promos had some value to those entities.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:38 pm »

Why was Oracle's wording changed from "+2 Cards" to "Afterwards, you draw 2 cards".

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: January 11, 2017, 12:51:05 pm »

What are the standard printing sizes available to you for sets? (eg 300 cards for big boxes)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: January 11, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »
+4

Why was Oracle's wording changed from "+2 Cards" to "Afterwards, you draw 2 cards".
To make it clearer what the card was supposed to do.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: January 11, 2017, 01:19:35 pm »
+7

What are the standard printing sizes available to you for sets? (eg 300 cards for big boxes)
It's not really like that.

Jay always says, just make it as good as you can, I'll worry about the rest. Can he really mean that? Well mostly, but sometimes there are good reasons to nudge something in some direction. The Dominion Update Pack is 77 cards. It's no cheaper to have 77 than 80, so there are 3 blanks. But uh aside from the blanks, it's the exact size it wanted to be. There was no negotiation on the size. OTOH I knew it would be good to have the Intrigue Update Pack be the same size. So it couldn't have two Victory cards - that would have put it at 81, which would probably be some larger number, and then they wouldn't have been the same price or one would have looked like a worse deal.

So anyway, mostly, they can be whatever size, but will end up rounded - further if a bigger number. If there would be a lot of blanks there would be incentive to fill them up with cards that do things. I won't know - and possibly Jay won't either - what size would be ideal for a particular intended size, until trying it. I mean if I said tomorrow, I want to make a 720 card set, maybe that would get to be 720, or would round to 750, or would round to 800. I'm guessing 800, but I haven't asked.

And we know that people like bigger sets more than smaller sets, but also that foreign publishers don't want something super-expensive. So the 300-500 range sounds best. And quite possibly that would translate directly into just 300, 400, 500.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: January 11, 2017, 01:50:18 pm »
+1

Why are Victory cards the only ones that scale by player number?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: January 11, 2017, 02:03:46 pm »

A few questions on new wording and stuff:

-What's the current thing with commas? Spice merchant doesn't have one before the "to", but other cards do. Baron doesn't have a comma before "for" but Mill does.
-Should numbers be spelled out? I see two is written out in develop, but it's "4" and "5" on Minion.
-Did the coin icons change? It used to be the number was smaller but in the hinterlands cards it seems to be the same size as the cost. Compare Minion and Haggler.
-Why do Treasures have a "When you play this". In other words, why was it necessary?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.