Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127739 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3400 on: September 26, 2016, 06:46:37 pm »
+15

If the original Dominion is New York City and the last Dominion expansion you do is Los Angeles, where are we on the map?
My time machine appears to be broken.

I'd say we're currently kayaking across the Pacific ocean.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 26, 2016, 06:50:46 pm »
+1

If the original Dominion is New York City and the last Dominion expansion you do is Los Angeles, where are we on the map?
My time machine appears to be broken.

I'd say we're currently kayaking across the Pacific ocean.

*Pearl Diving
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 26, 2016, 07:34:07 pm »
+2

And so where does Mattel get their lead testing done? In China of course, it's cheaper.

LOL
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 26, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »

Dominion products used to say 8+ but now say 14+, including the base game. Why the change?

Base, Intrigue, and Seaside are 8+. The US lead-testing requirements were strengthened in 2010, between the release of Seaside and Prosperity, after cadmium was found in toys imported from China in 2010. Since Prosperity, Dominion has been 13 or 14+.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 07:49:46 pm by Marcory »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 26, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »

Dominion products used to say 8+ but now say 14+, including the base game. Why the change?

Base, Intrigue, and Seaside are 8+. The US lead-testing requirements were strengthened in 2010, between the release of Seaside and Prosperity, after cadmium was found in toys imported from China in 2010. Since Prosperity, Dominion has been 13 or 14+.

The 2nd editions say 14+. I'm assuming future printings of all expansions say the same.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:05 am »
+1

Does the second edition of Dominion still have the concept of the four "pillars," presumably with Bandit as the replacement for Thief? Or do the changes make that no longer a thing?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 27, 2016, 02:45:43 pm »
+3

If you had a Dominion time machine, would you change all "if you do" on cards to "to", similarly to how effects are done on Reserves? Or is the clarity worth the extra words?

Woah, predicted the future.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 27, 2016, 03:07:23 pm »

If you had a Dominion time machine, would you change all "if you do" on cards to "to", similarly to how effects are done on Reserves? Or is the clarity worth the extra words?
Not all, but some. I like it on "you may pay cost to get effect." Sometimes it's not as good, e.g. on "You may do thing. If you do, first thing happens, otherwise second thing happens."

New Baron seems to differ from this post.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 27, 2016, 03:15:05 pm »

Why didn't Trading Post get the new "to" wording?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:32 pm »
+4

Woah, predicted the future.

I knew you would say that.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 27, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »
+2

Does the second edition of Dominion still have the concept of the four "pillars," presumably with Bandit as the replacement for Thief? Or do the changes make that no longer a thing?
Well it's more like 26 pillars, if you see what I mean. There are certainly still cards that shake things up more than other cards, but every card tries to contribute there.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 27, 2016, 05:08:30 pm »
+3

Why didn't Trading Post get the new "to" wording?
It's a feel thing. Maybe when the 5th edition comes out in 24 years I will manage to be more consistent. On a few cards I felt that saying "if you do" helped; here it's because you might only have one card and yet still want to trash it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: September 27, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »

Remodel (2nd ed) says: "Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it."

Doesn't this, uh, cause issues with blue dogs and possession?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: September 27, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
+1

Remodel (2nd ed) says: "Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it."

How would it?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: September 27, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »
+3

It's exactly the same functionality. "It" is shorthand for "the trashed card". No difference at all.

The blue dog issue was a result of the "it" on Ironworks being interpreted as "the card you chose to gain" instead of "the card you gained". It was ruled eventually that it referred to "the card you gained". Note that Upgrade has always said "it" instead of "the trashed card".
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:11:27 pm by GendoIkari »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: September 28, 2016, 06:31:51 am »

It was ruled eventually that it referred to "the card you gained".

Oh, I must have missed that ruling. So, if I ironworks a woodcutter and reveal a Trader to change gain, do I get 1 coin?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: September 28, 2016, 06:38:08 am »
+3

Oh, I must have missed that ruling. So, if I ironworks a woodcutter and reveal a Trader to change gain, do I get 1 coin?
No, you get nothing. If you want to read up on this, probably the wiki links to the thread.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: September 28, 2016, 07:20:18 am »

No, you get nothing. If you want to read up on this, probably the wiki links to the thread.

I see, it's as I remembered it, thank you.
I misunderstood Gendo's post as "the card that you eventually gained, no matter what made you gain it".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: September 28, 2016, 09:14:01 am »
+4

No, you get nothing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: September 28, 2016, 10:05:52 am »
+2

I see, it's as I remembered it, thank you.
I misunderstood Gendo's post as "the card that you eventually gained, no matter what made you gain it".

Yeah sorry. By "the card you gained" I meant "the card you gained as a result of the 'gain a card' instruction on Ironworks". The fact that Trader makes you gain a card instead of gaining a card is coincidence, it plays the same as if Trader said "when you would gain a card, reveal this. If you do, +1 card instead".

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: September 28, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »
+1

This has probably already been answered like, times, but will there be a Secret History of the 2nd Editions?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: September 28, 2016, 02:41:33 pm »
+7

I will post a Secret History when the cards are available, going over all of the changes and the new cards.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3422 on: October 04, 2016, 05:08:39 pm »

What was the thought process behind the changes made to the recommended sets for 2nd edition? I guess I was expecting more 1-to-1 replacement relationships, but aside from Thief -> Bandit that didn't really happen.

(I am particularly curious about Mining Village -> Diplomat in the Intrigue/Dark Ages set "Invasion". Is there a story there?)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: October 04, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »
+4

What was the thought process behind the changes made to the recommended sets for 2nd edition? I guess I was expecting more 1-to-1 replacement relationships, but aside from Thief -> Bandit that didn't really happen.

(I am particularly curious about Mining Village -> Diplomat in the Intrigue/Dark Ages set "Invasion". Is there a story there?)
The core thought process was "oh man I have to get this done, ugh." I have spent so much time picking sets of 10 cards for a game that's supposed to work with any random 10.

For everything except the main set and Intrigue by themselves and together (e.g. main set plus Prosperity) (oh except also the missing ones, I forget what set combinations but you know, not every set combination existed)... I just tried to use the new cards about equally while replacing the old cards. It couldn't be one-to-one because there were 7 cards replacing 6. Bandit was such a direct replacement of Thief that I just swapped it in, and then for the rest I gave myself short lists of options.

For the main set and Intrigue pure and combined, I needed to revise things enough that some of them are just new, and some are way different. And we played those.

There's no story to Invasion. I was never replacing Mining Village the card. Either I just mistakingly marked it as needing changing in that set of 10, or I was trying to up the usage of Diplomat.

silby

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: October 04, 2016, 05:53:53 pm »

Hi Donald!

What games do you consider your personal "primordial ooze"? Magic: The Gathering is an obvious influence that you've talked about, are there others?
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.