Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2138943 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3350 on: August 25, 2016, 12:43:55 pm »
+3

Wait, Curses are bad? But in the Base Cards edition, people are Raven about them. Now I guess I'll have to eat crow before people give me the bird.
You're gonna get some ill-gotten groans for this post.
Witch post? I can't sooth-see any posts, you hag.

I swear, the witch pun was hextremely predictable.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:03 pm »
+2

Wait, Curses are bad? But in the Base Cards edition, people are Raven about them. Now I guess I'll have to eat crow before people give me the bird.

Curses! I wanted to make that joke.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: August 25, 2016, 03:42:25 pm »
+2

Then why is your post so much later? You must be a Swindler!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: August 25, 2016, 03:57:06 pm »
+2

We sure have a lot of Jesters here...

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: August 25, 2016, 04:15:57 pm »
+1

Questions aren't being answered anymore. All that happens are the same old jokes being flipped and copied over and over again.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: August 25, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »
+6

Questions aren't being answered anymore. All that happens are the same old jokes being flipped and copied over and over again.

Some Swindler turned this Forum of questions into a Catacomb.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: August 25, 2016, 05:17:27 pm »

Then why is your post so much later? You must be a Swindler!
I didn't see it continued on the next page. Let me (e)state the obvious: This has been a p(l)easant experience.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: August 26, 2016, 03:37:31 pm »

Let's try a question.

You've said that Scrying Pool would be a better card without the Attack part.  Would it still Spy yourself to set up, or just live with the luck of the draw?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: August 26, 2016, 04:21:04 pm »
+1

You've said that Scrying Pool would be a better card without the Attack part.  Would it still Spy yourself to set up, or just live with the luck of the draw?
You would just live with the luck of the draw, though of course you have a lot of other control over that luck.

Scrying Pool was that card, it did not Spy on anyone including yourself, and then I added the Spy part because I wanted the set to have another attack and the names were locked in and Scrying Pool sounded plausible as an attack. Golem was more plausible but I did not want to ruin Golem.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: August 26, 2016, 05:47:18 pm »

You would just live with the luck of the draw, though of course you have a lot of other control over that luck.

Scrying Pool was that card, it did not Spy on anyone including yourself, and then I added the Spy part because I wanted the set to have another attack and the names were locked in and Scrying Pool sounded plausible as an attack. Golem was more plausible but I did not want to ruin Golem.

Thinking about it, golem could feasibly have had the fortune teller effect. It fits with the card theme.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: August 26, 2016, 06:59:53 pm »
+1

Thinking about it, golem could feasibly have had the fortune teller effect. It fits with the card theme.

But does it fit on the card?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: August 26, 2016, 07:40:39 pm »

Transmute could have cursed opponents when you trash a Potion and/or when you trash a copy of itself.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: August 26, 2016, 08:26:20 pm »

But does it fit on the card?

i dunno, maybe.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: August 30, 2016, 04:56:41 pm »

Did you ever consider not having thresholds on the variable VP cards?  You could get rid of most by rounding at the end instead of per card (so 4 gardens at 46 cards is 18 points), or just have fractional VP (18.4 points).

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:15 pm »

Did you ever consider not having thresholds on the variable VP cards?  You could get rid of most by rounding at the end instead of per card (so 4 gardens at 46 cards is 18 points), or just have fractional VP (18.4 points).

Seems like that would be an hassle. I do wonder though, how come Alt-VP "round down" instead of "round up" for scoring purposes?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: August 30, 2016, 05:45:23 pm »

Seems like that would be an hassle. I do wonder though, how come Alt-VP "round down" instead of "round up" for scoring purposes?

Don't be greedy!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: August 30, 2016, 07:00:59 pm »
+4

No, fractional points were not considered. If getting smaller amounts had been important, the move of course would be to multiply VP by some amount and then use whole numbers again. I didn't consider doing that either though. I had Vineyard early on and it was never an issue doing the math and rounding down.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3367 on: August 31, 2016, 01:18:16 pm »

No, fractional points were not considered. If getting smaller amounts had been important, the move of course would be to multiply VP by some amount and then use whole numbers again. I didn't consider doing that either though. I had Vineyard early on and it was never an issue doing the math and rounding down.

I also like the mechanic of having the different thresholds to try to get to.  It makes deck tracking more important.  "Should I get a Rats?" is much more of an interesting question if Vineyards is every 3, instead of every 1.  Etc.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: September 22, 2016, 11:45:32 am »
+1

What made you want to redo Intruige and Base? Are Seaside and Alchemy on the table for later?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 22, 2016, 12:13:32 pm »
+1

I can answer question two for you, Sigma. He won't answer that, as it pertains to the future. However, I do hope along with you that he does do more with Alchemy. It could be the solution to reusing Potion, who knows.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: September 22, 2016, 12:25:55 pm »
+1

I can answer question two for you, Sigma. He won't answer that, as it pertains to the future. However, I do hope along with you that he does do more with Alchemy. It could be the solution to reusing Potion, who knows.

I think an Alchemy sequel is more likely than an Alchemy "second edition" in Base/Intrigue style, and that's pretty unlikely itself.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: September 22, 2016, 05:53:45 pm »
+5

What made you want to redo Intruige and Base? Are Seaside and Alchemy on the table for later?
I will post a Secret History soon.

There are no plans to replace cards in other expansions. However all expansions prior to Empires will get improved wordings.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: September 23, 2016, 09:02:30 am »
+2

There are no plans to replace cards in other expansions. However all expansions prior to Empires will get improved wordings.

Every card gets they pronouns! YOU get a they pronoun, and YOU get a they pronoun, and YOU get a they pronoun...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: September 23, 2016, 09:07:15 am »
+4

Every card gets they pronouns! YOU get a they pronoun, and YOU get a they pronoun, and YOU get a they pronoun...
The replacement:

Tribute - $5 Action
The bastard to this bastard's left reveals the top 2 cards of that bastard's deck, then puts those bastards back in an order that bastard chooses.
This bastard gets 1VP per victory card revealed per other bastard sitting at the table.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: September 23, 2016, 09:08:41 am »
+1

Will any of the cards in the update involve frobbing the snatz or jerping the hantry?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.217 seconds with 22 queries.