Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126799 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3325 on: August 09, 2016, 09:57:59 am »

If ADK is not doing at least one of these, I will be very disappointed.

I mean, if Donald is interested in recruiting someone whose only credential is having written a stupid piece of fanfiction once, sure, I'll have a go.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 09, 2016, 10:11:35 am »
+2

If ADK is not doing at least one of these, I will be very disappointed.

I mean, if Donald is interested in recruiting someone whose only credential is having written a stupidthe most respected piece of fanfiction once, sure, I'll have a go.

Fixed that for you.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: August 09, 2016, 10:29:48 am »
+3

Come on, guys. If anybody is going to be doing writing, they must be prepared to set aside any personal ambitions. The writing should be for the betterment of Dominion. No strings attached, no rewards, no special Knights, nothing. I wouldn't even ask for a name in the credits. I only want the new app to be great, and I think I could help with that goal. If other people can write even better than I (which wouldn't be hard), then I would gladly give up my 'slot', if I even had one, to ensure the product is the best it can be.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 09, 2016, 10:34:20 am »

Come on, guys. If anybody is going to be doing writing, they must be prepared to set aside any personal ambitions. The writing should be for the betterment of Dominion. No strings attached, no rewards, no special Knights, nothing. I wouldn't even ask for a name in the credits. I only want the new app to be great, and I think I could help with that goal. If other people can write even better than I (which wouldn't be hard), then I would gladly give up my 'slot', if I even had one, to ensure the product is the best it can be.
Who is this aimed at?  McGarnacle is the only comment I see which appears to be requesting any kind of recompense, and it's pretty clear that it's a joke.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:48 am »

Who is this aimed at?  McGarnacle is the only comment I see which appears to be requesting any kind of recompense, and it's pretty clear that it's a joke.

Yeah, I guess it was a joke.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: August 09, 2016, 03:56:55 pm »
+3

I would recommend having a story, though - it's nice to have something flavorful to tie together the games.  It's far more interesting to wonder if the Prince of Vaccara will find the thief who stole his poodle (or whatever, hopefully better story is come up with), rather than just playing Prosperity Game #13.
Well someone would need to write the stories. Not it.

I mean, I'd be willing to offer my services as a writer.  Only got two Kindle e-books on my resume, really, but just putting it out there.
Oooh I'm a writer too, I'd like to write the campaign stories. I usually write middle grade fantasy adventure.
It is not a paying gig, that was probably clear? Your name in lights and the satisfaction of a job well done are about the extent of it.

Maybe a card created with our name on it. Like more Knights?  ;)
No amount of winking faces are sufficient for me not to have to say, no, nothing like that will possibly happen. "Name in lights" meaning "name in tiny unreadable print on some page of the site that no-one ever looks at, that says who wrote the campaign stories."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: August 09, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »

Note that the above statement does not exclude bribes in currency other than winking faces.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: August 09, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »
+5

Ugh. So anyway.

People who care to may "get the chance, as if" to write text for campaign stories that almost no-one will ever care about, possibly not even them.

The original stories were written by Wei-Hwa's girlfriend. I think as many as zero other people checked to see if they were satisfied with them, and up they went.

It's possible Stef will say "what, we don't want stories" but I mean if someone is just handing over text it's probably easy enough to stick it on the screen.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: August 10, 2016, 12:35:48 pm »
+3

Note that the above statement does not exclude bribes in currency other than winking faces.

When you buy Stonemason, can you overpay with winking faces?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: August 10, 2016, 12:38:56 pm »
+1

Yes, you just can't go into winking-face debt.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: August 10, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »

Come on, guys. If anybody is going to be doing writing, they must be prepared to set aside any personal ambitions. The writing should be for the betterment of Dominion. No strings attached, no rewards, no special Knights, nothing. I wouldn't even ask for a name in the credits. I only want the new app to be great, and I think I could help with that goal.

I think my name on a Knight would do much for the betterment of Dominion  :).

Seriously though, I think this is a good idea, I would love to help!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: August 23, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

If you had a Dominion time machine, would you change all "if you do" on cards to "to", similarly to how effects are done on Reserves? Or is the clarity worth the extra words?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:47 am »
+1

If you had a Dominion time machine, would you change all "if you do" on cards to "to", similarly to how effects are done on Reserves? Or is the clarity worth the extra words?

I think the meaning is subtly different. "Call this card, to" is describing what calling this card actually results in. Think of if every action said "You may play this, to" before their effects.

"If you do" more clearly establishes the effect is conditional. There is a thing that happens if this other thing you're trying to do happens. Calling isn't really a thing you can fail to do and still expect anything to happen.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: August 23, 2016, 11:18:46 am »
+2

Some cards would be really unclear with that change.
How would you do Soothsayer for instance?
I don't think
"Each other player takes a curse to draw a card."
is particularly good.

Maybe that's an edge case.  But I think in general it's probably a change that only really works for optional effects:
"You may do X to get Y" is fine, but it's less clear just exactly how
"Do X to get Y" should be interpreted. Is that a command? Is it a long running effect that means you have to do X whenever you want to get Y?
Enough staring would get you to the right place I'm sure but I really think there's a big drop in clarity.

PPE. Welp. Ninjad.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:42 am »

Yes, you just can't go into winking-face debt.

Actually, you would get two cards costing the amount of winking faces you overpaid.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: August 23, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »

I think the meaning is subtly different. "Call this card, to" is describing what calling this card actually results in. Think of if every action said "You may play this, to" before their effects.

"If you do" more clearly establishes the effect is conditional. There is a thing that happens if this other thing you're trying to do happens. Calling isn't really a thing you can fail to do and still expect anything to happen.

Interesting. I never thought about it, but that you can't fail to call a card is true. Good point.

Some cards would be really unclear with that change.
How would you do Soothsayer for instance?
I don't think
"Each other player takes a curse to draw a card."
is particularly good.

Maybe that's an edge case.  But I think in general it's probably a change that only really works for optional effects:
"You may do X to get Y" is fine, but it's less clear just exactly how
"Do X to get Y" should be interpreted. Is that a command? Is it a long running effect that means you have to do X whenever you want to get Y?
Enough staring would get you to the right place I'm sure but I really think there's a big drop in clarity.

PPE. Welp. Ninjad.

I guess asking about "all" occurences was dumb. It would look a bit weird on Soothsayer, but that's a rather unusual card, and it would work fine on choices. Then again, why introduce two variants without a distinct difference (like Reserves are)? I guess it does more harm than it helps. Edit: By that i mean it makes more sense to use "If you do" everywhere instead of having both.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:02:57 pm by Asper »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: August 23, 2016, 03:55:53 pm »
+5

Not all, but some. I like it on "you may pay cost to get effect." Sometimes it's not as good, e.g. on "You may do thing. If you do, first thing happens, otherwise second thing happens."

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: August 23, 2016, 07:52:25 pm »

Especially with older cards, but have you ever seen the general F.DS (or otherwhere) come to a conclusion of a card's power and just think "man, they're way off"? Bonus points for cards the community eventually did indeed decided were much stronger or weaker than initially thought.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:53 pm »
+6

Especially with older cards, but have you ever seen the general F.DS (or otherwhere) come to a conclusion of a card's power and just think "man, they're way off"? Bonus points for cards the community eventually did indeed decided were much stronger or weaker than initially thought.
Well it depends on what you mean as to how many people and for how long. There are always people disagreeing with whatever popular stance. The smaller a community is, the more likely they'll get stuck on "Pirate Ship is broken" or whatever it is. And the longer you have, the more likely you'll figure out, hmm maybe Chapel isn't just for Curses.

Lots of cards produce an initial reaction that is way off. It's hard to keep secrets though when you have a large group of people immediately playing endless online games.

Jack of All Trades stands out as a card that people initially were unimpressed by, then thought was broken. Make up your minds guys. In the early days, plenty of people stood up to say that Village was broken.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: August 24, 2016, 01:06:04 am »
+12

Wait, Curses are bad? But in the Base Cards edition, people are Raven about them. Now I guess I'll have to eat crow before people give me the bird.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: August 24, 2016, 10:04:09 am »
+3

Village is totally broken. It only costs $3, and if you buy all of them, then you could play 10 whole action cards and draw 10 more cards all on the same turn!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: August 24, 2016, 05:38:05 pm »
+17

Wait, Curses are bad? But in the Base Cards edition, people are Raven about them. Now I guess I'll have to eat crow before people give me the bird.
You're gonna get some ill-gotten groans for this post.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: August 24, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »
+5

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:11 am »
+1

That made my day. Thank you Donald!
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: August 25, 2016, 11:03:00 am »
+2

Witch post? I can't sooth-see any posts, you hag.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.