Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127089 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3250 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:02 pm »
+3

Scout. Mine is to Mint as Squire is to Scout.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: July 21, 2016, 05:14:11 am »
+3

I would, but - and I can't stress this enough - it would be essential that sometimes it led people to dead bodies instead.
Why are you the only developer that cares enough to get kids up off the couch and visiting their grandparents in the local cemetery?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: July 21, 2016, 10:19:24 am »

Did you have to clear the Gathering card type with Wizards?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 21, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »
+3

The OP is from December 07, 2012. It's taken a while - with an intermission - but maybe people have just run out of questions.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: July 21, 2016, 12:43:17 pm »
+1

The OP is from December 07, 2012. It's taken a while - with an intermission - but maybe people have just run out of questions.

I doubt it. but if you don't like this question or think it's not worth answering, go ahead and say so. I can take it. Or don't! I will get the idea from your silence. But I'm not sure what you are trying to say with this comment here. Like, I thought the question was reasonable; companies can get very defensive of their IP. I guess you disagree about its reasonableness. But don't let me ruin it for everyone else.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:50:41 pm by singletee »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: July 21, 2016, 12:45:36 pm »
+1

You think so?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: July 21, 2016, 01:01:04 pm »

I doubt it. but if you don't like this question or think it's not worth answering, go ahead and say so. I can take it. Or don't! I will get the idea from your silence. But I'm not sure what you are trying to say with this comment here. Like, I thought the question was reasonable; companies can get very defensive of their IP. I guess you disagree about its reasonableness. But don't let me ruin it for everyone else.

I believe this question has been asked before, but about Dominion as a whole rather than specifically the Gathering cards. I don't remember the answer, but I remember that Richard Garfield himself was involved in some Dominion playtesting.  The question may have been included in the collated Interview post that was published to the blog.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:02:22 pm by eHalcyon »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: July 21, 2016, 01:04:27 pm »
+1

There will always be questions. However, after 131 pages of questions, I basically know more about you than the NRA. This has massive implications. I can write a program that can perfectly emulate you. In a way, you will be immortal. Long after all of us are gone, that program will continue to compile Dominion cards and the signature dry wit with the slight tinge of sardonicism that you are well known and beloved for. In fact, you might even be replaced before that. You say the 'X' in your name is a variable. I can tell you, you will become a variable when I write my code. Machines are the future, Donald. Humanity will be replaced.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: July 21, 2016, 02:36:57 pm »
+1

To me, it would make zero sense for someone to have to "clear the Gathering card type with Wizards." It's reality-defying. Thus I thought you were joking. Thus I thought, man. Seems like nothing but joke questions these days.

I do not believe it is possible, in the free world at least, to control a word in the way you suggest. To control something like that, I think it has to be coined (e.g. Kaladesh, Innistrad, etc.), and possibly then still needs a similar context.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: July 21, 2016, 03:16:04 pm »
+1

To me, it would make zero sense for someone to have to "clear the Gathering card type with Wizards." It's reality-defying. Thus I thought you were joking. Thus I thought, man. Seems like nothing but joke questions these days.

Gotcha.

I do not believe it is possible, in the free world at least, to control a word in the way you suggest.

They did so with tap. And Bethesda tried (and partially succeeded) to do the same with scrolls. I don't agree that such a thing should be possible, but sadly it happened.

I think I did not word my original inquiry very well. What I meant was more like, did they have anything to say about it. From what you have said, I suppose not. The lawyers did not come for you, so there was no brave stand to take.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: July 21, 2016, 03:37:43 pm »
+4

They did so with tap.
"Tap" has a huge amount of context - it's being used to mean, turn a card 90 degrees. Using "tap" that way somewhere else is not at all like having "Gathering" in a game's title vs. using it to label a group of cards that gather tokens.

And of course what happened with "tap" is just that no-one felt like testing it.

It is popularly thought that WotC patented tapping. In actuality they patented certain kinds of trading card games, and that patent was so specific that it included tapping (games using trading cards predated Magic by ~90 years so this was necessary). The more specific your patent is, the less it covers; WotC mentioning tapping in their patent limited their patent, rather than causing it to cover more ground.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:10 pm »
+1

I do not believe it is possible, in the free world at least, to control a word in the way you suggest. To control something like that, I think it has to be coined (e.g. Kaladesh, Innistrad, etc.), and possibly then still needs a similar context.

Is Apple an exception?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: July 21, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »
+3

Is Apple an exception?
Feel free to consult lawyers and wikipedia; I am a game designer.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:36 pm »
+24

Is Apple an exception?

Note that your post contajns the letter pronounced 'eye'. You can expect a message from the Apple lawyers shortly.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:41 pm »
+12

Is Apple an exception?

Note that your post contajns the letter pronounced 'eye'. You can expect a message from the Apple lawyers shortly.

You get a +1 for "contajns". Well played.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: July 21, 2016, 06:56:03 pm »
+4

So, are we all just not gonna use that letter through the thread we're currently at? Donald, you okay about all that? My posts feel really odd...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: July 21, 2016, 07:31:00 pm »
+1

So, are we all just not gonna use that letter through the thread we're currently at? Donald, you okay about all that? My posts feel really odd...

No, we wjll not.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: July 21, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »
+2

I will.

(Suddenly, church bells)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: July 21, 2016, 07:56:14 pm »
+4

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: July 22, 2016, 09:29:55 am »
+4

Aww come on. After all the effort used to not have that letter, 0 respect? You people are terrjble.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: July 22, 2016, 09:44:42 am »
+6

Aww come on. After all the effort used to not have that letter, 0 respect? You people are terrjble.

To change that letter to 'j' garners respect, though to carefully preclude the usage of that letter completely, even though much more of a challenge, does not award such respect.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:53 am »
+1

They say the novelty wore out pretty fast
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: July 22, 2016, 11:22:29 am »
+3

My eyes see what you have done there.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: July 22, 2016, 11:37:48 am »
+4

l for one am pleased that people have apprecˇated orꙇgˇnal content more than derꙇvatˇve works.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: July 22, 2016, 11:57:15 am »
+25

My eyes see what you have done there.
Kids dig it, it's hip. I think it will lift spirits whilst irking dimwits.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.