Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127040 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3225 on: July 16, 2016, 03:06:56 pm »
+5

Would you consider creating a digital expansion that is gradually gainable by going outside to hunt for cards via an augmented reality app?

GOminion

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: July 16, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »

Would you consider creating a digital expansion that is gradually gainable by going outside to hunt for cards via an augmented reality app?

Aren't you the developer?

So Donald, would you ever wear a fedora?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: July 17, 2016, 08:49:40 am »
+16

I would, but - and I can't stress this enough - it would be essential that sometimes it led people to dead bodies instead.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: July 17, 2016, 08:54:26 am »
+6

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you do keep making expansions at, say, one per year: how long before I get to see a card called "Squirt"?
As I've said recently on BGG, a sex-themed expansion is really unlikely.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: July 17, 2016, 08:55:53 am »
+2

In the right circumstances, yes, yes I would.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: July 17, 2016, 09:05:51 am »
+5

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you do keep making expansions at, say, one per year: how long before I get to see a card called "Squirt"?

Can we vote this most disappointing answer as of yet?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3231 on: July 17, 2016, 09:09:26 am »

Can we have religion or politics themed expansions?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: July 17, 2016, 09:31:26 am »
+8

You see what I have to work with.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: July 17, 2016, 09:32:26 am »
+6

Can we have religion or politics themed expansions?

We have a politics themed expansion. It's called "Intrigue".

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: July 17, 2016, 09:45:46 am »

Forgive my ignorance, but I am missing the pun/joke/depth of the comment?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: July 17, 2016, 10:07:53 am »
+8

Forgive my ignorance, but I am missing the pun/joke/depth of the comment?
I am just not the kind of guy who forgives ignorance.

Probably when I use that particular stock phrase - "you see what I have to work with" - no-one notices that it's what the doctor says to the Joker in Batman. So you did probably miss that. I say it when it's relevant; I just like the sound of it.

Oh the other thing. When someone asks a joke question, man, I do not generally want to put in a lot of effort there. Possibly spiralstaircase meant Squirtle; the post says Squirt though. I did actually just mention on BGG that a sex-themed expansion was unlikely (someone wanting to know, would Jay just publish anything or what), so I went with that. The soft drink was my runner-up. But I mean, how funny is that.

For an in-depth discussion of just what exactly that term means in a sexual context, well, do you have internet access? My runner-up was "ask your mom."

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: July 17, 2016, 10:30:04 am »
+2

I am reasonably aware of what the term meant in the context of sex. I do disagree that 'asking your mom' is good advice, but hey, disagreements happen.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:28 am »
+1

In the right circumstances, yes, yes I would.

Like, if you were an early 1900s private investigator?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: July 17, 2016, 12:08:08 pm »
+1

I mean, all the elements are already there. There's 'Dominion', 'expansion', 'Action phase', 'Harem'. It seems only natural for there to be a Sex Expansion in Dominion. It makes perfect logical sense!

I still can't believe anybody would even ask for such a thing. I apologize on the behalf of humanity, Donald. We have to all take the collective blame for this.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:11:26 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: July 17, 2016, 01:04:09 pm »
+5

Oh the other thing. When someone asks a joke question, man, I do not generally want to put in a lot of effort there. Possibly spiralstaircase meant Squirtle; the post says Squirt though.

I meant Squirt.  I've been asking Donald to make a card called Squirt since before Adventures.  Since apparently I am the kind of person to explain my jokes, it's this:  Mine is to Mint as Squire is to...

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: July 17, 2016, 01:15:16 pm »
+1

Oh the other thing. When someone asks a joke question, man, I do not generally want to put in a lot of effort there. Possibly spiralstaircase meant Squirtle; the post says Squirt though.

I meant Squirt.  I've been asking Donald to make a card called Squirt since before Adventures.  Since apparently I am the kind of person to explain my jokes, it's this:  Mine is to Mint as Squire is to...

A card that destroys attack cards on gain, but can duplicate attack cards when you have them together in your hand?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 18, 2016, 08:14:40 am »

ASS Altenburger (the German publisher/distributor of Dominion) is claiming that the German version of empires only being released at the end of the year is a decision by RGG? Is this true? Can you share something about the reasons for this?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: July 18, 2016, 08:48:00 am »
+1

ASS Altenburger (the German publisher/distributor of Dominion) is claiming that the German version of empires only being released at the end of the year is a decision by RGG? Is this true? Can you share something about the reasons for this?
This is the first I've heard of it; I have been expecting it would come out at Essen. I guess I don't know what "end of the year" means there. You could quote them more precisely.

RGG wouldn't just randomly delay the German version; if RGG said they had to wait then it would be for some reason that would make sense, e.g. running out of metal tokens (not that I have any reason to believe there's a shortage of metal tokens).

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 18, 2016, 09:32:02 am »

Here's what they said (when asked why the German version will be released so much later than the English one)
Nicht nur die deutsche Version lässt sich noch ein wenig Zeit, das sind einfach Verlagsentscheidungen die bei Rio Grande Games liegen. ASS Altenburger selbst ist lediglich für den Vertrieb auf dem deutschen Markt zuständig.
Translation:
Not only the German version is taking some time, these are just publisher decisions made by RGG. Ass Altenburger only does the distribution on the German market.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 18, 2016, 10:29:04 am »
+1

The question posed backwards ("how much was the choice of name for Estate influenced by the fact that there are three of them") would still hold some validity given your response but as estate as a plot of land and estate as a rank in society are completely different matters it would be a bad pun so I guess the answer would still be "zero".
It is still zero. A bad pun doesn't rule out a card name though; it's Baron because he's a real estate baron.

Wait.  Really?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 18, 2016, 10:34:47 am »

Here's what they said (when asked why the German version will be released so much later than the English one)
Nicht nur die deutsche Version lässt sich noch ein wenig Zeit, das sind einfach Verlagsentscheidungen die bei Rio Grande Games liegen. ASS Altenburger selbst ist lediglich für den Vertrieb auf dem deutschen Markt zuständig.
Translation:
Not only the German version is taking some time, these are just publisher decisions made by RGG. Ass Altenburger only does the distribution on the German market.
Well again, I don't know what "so much later" is. Is it Essen? I have been thinking it would come out at Essen. That's some months after the English version but seems okay. I feel like I heard it was coming in September but I guess I'm not sure.

I think RGG does delay other publishers' editions from coming out the same day as the English versions. I think that's because some people leaked stuff when sent it in a timely manner back when. So they get the files when it comes out in English and then it takes them a few months.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 18, 2016, 10:46:23 am »
+5

The question posed backwards ("how much was the choice of name for Estate influenced by the fact that there are three of them") would still hold some validity given your response but as estate as a plot of land and estate as a rank in society are completely different matters it would be a bad pun so I guess the answer would still be "zero".
It is still zero. A bad pun doesn't rule out a card name though; it's Baron because he's a real estate baron.

Wait.  Really?
I am neither lying, nor in error. If people had a limit of how many questions they could ask, I bet you'd be kicking yourself now.

I had an older card called Baron that attacked Victory cards, so I had the art lying around. I made Baron for Intrigue when the set went from 20 cards up to 25. I initially called it Architect, not expecting to keep that name because it sounded too modern. There wasn't an obvious name, and then I thought of the Baron connection.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 18, 2016, 10:59:07 am »
+9

Ah, I see. You used that name because you were barren of other ideas.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 18, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »
+3

Since apparently I am the kind of person to explain my jokes, it's this:  Mine is to Mint as Squire is to...

Moat?

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 18, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »
+5

Since apparently I am the kind of person to explain my jokes, it's this:  Mine is to Mint as Squire is to...

Moat?

Nah, you're thinking of Squoat.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.