Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127251 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3200 on: July 12, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »
+4

Do you give any thought to the alphabetic distribution of cards in sets?  For example, Empires has 7 piles beginning with C, and 2/3 of its cards in the first half of the alphabet.  Cornucopia has most of the set beginning with F and H.
I do not give that any thought at all.

You expect us to believe that it's just a coincidence that no cards start with the letter X? Admit it, you're ex-ist.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:17 pm »
+4

Do you give any thought to the alphabetic distribution of cards in sets?  For example, Empires has 7 piles beginning with C, and 2/3 of its cards in the first half of the alphabet.  Cornucopia has most of the set beginning with F and H.
I do not give that any thought at all.

You expect us to believe that it's just a coincidence that no cards start with the letter X? Admit it, you're ex-ist.
Yes.  That's why he's called Donald Middle-Name-Omitted Vaccarino.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: July 12, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »

So I taught this to someone recently who really loved it (and she's not a gamer). She wanted to know if there was a Dragon card or something similar. I said that you tend to keep it within reality and not fantasy, but she pointed out Witch. And then there's also Scrying Pool, Transmute, Transmogrify... a few things that are more fantasy than reality. So my question is, would Dragon be the type of thing that could exist on a card, or does that seem outside of the theme for you?

Donald did Giant. I don't see why Dragon wouldn't be unreasonable.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: July 12, 2016, 01:55:52 pm »

So I taught this to someone recently who really loved it (and she's not a gamer). She wanted to know if there was a Dragon card or something similar. I said that you tend to keep it within reality and not fantasy, but she pointed out Witch. And then there's also Scrying Pool, Transmute, Transmogrify... a few things that are more fantasy than reality. So my question is, would Dragon be the type of thing that could exist on a card, or does that seem outside of the theme for you?

Everybody knows that dragons are extinct. Don't believe the rumours of dragons returned!

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: July 12, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »

Dragon
Action – Attack
Cost: $7
+$2 or gain a Gold.
You may reveal a Gold from your hand. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals them and discards a card that you choose.

Clearly Dragon should be a $7 because Dragons like Hoards and Hoard is in Prosperity.  ;)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: July 12, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »
+3

Everybody knows that dragons are extinct. Don't believe the rumours of dragons returned!

That's why Seprix totally intentionally said that he felt Dragons were unreasonable.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: July 12, 2016, 04:21:16 pm »
+1

It would need to be in a set that leaned in that direction theme-wise, like Alchemy and Adventures do. For most sets the idea is just to have a hint of fantasy. Adventures would have been a good place, but I still felt like, how far do I want to go here.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: July 13, 2016, 02:46:45 am »
+2

Did you consider a card shaped thingy that was both an event and a landmark?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: July 13, 2016, 06:17:35 am »
+4

Did you consider a card shaped thingy that was both an event and a landmark?
I did not.

I am not really seeing it. I already have Events that give out VP tokens; that seems like the good simple version of combining the concepts. It's not like I wanted to try to cram two words onto that diagonal bar either.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: July 13, 2016, 09:16:21 pm »
+1

how much was the starting deck with three estates influenced by the three estates
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: July 13, 2016, 09:18:22 pm »
+2

how much was the starting deck with three estates influenced by the three estates
Zero. The starting deck existed before the VP cards had names.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: July 14, 2016, 03:55:15 am »

The question posed backwards ("how much was the choice of name for Estate influenced by the fact that there are three of them") would still hold some validity given your response but as estate as a plot of land and estate as a rank in society are completely different matters it would be a bad pun so I guess the answer would still be "zero".
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: July 14, 2016, 04:01:55 am »
+7

The question posed backwards ("how much was the choice of name for Estate influenced by the fact that there are three of them") would still hold some validity given your response but as estate as a plot of land and estate as a rank in society are completely different matters it would be a bad pun so I guess the answer would still be "zero".
It is still zero. A bad pun doesn't rule out a card name though; it's Baron because he's a real estate baron.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: July 14, 2016, 03:00:07 pm »

It is still zero. A bad pun doesn't rule out a card name though; it's Baron because he's a real estate baron.

And Bridge Troll was kind of a pun too, right? It's like a Bridge but it trolls your opponent.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: July 14, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »
+2

And Bridge Troll was kind of a pun too, right? It's like a Bridge but it trolls your opponent.
"Bridge" there is a reference to Bridge, but "Troll" isn't a reference to trolling (although trolling is a reference to trolls).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: July 14, 2016, 05:08:11 pm »
+6

You gotta pay the troll's toll
If you wanna get into that boy's soul

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: July 14, 2016, 09:13:15 pm »
+4

Actually, trolling is a reference to fishing!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: July 15, 2016, 10:44:15 am »

Also, Duchy must clearly be a foreshadowing of the eventual bad translation into the language of the Netherlands.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:40 am »

Also, Duchy must clearly be a foreshadowing of the eventual bad translation into the language of the Netherlands.

And how do you call this mysterious language of yonder Netherlands?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: July 15, 2016, 10:55:24 am »

[ˈneːdərlɑnts], of course.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: July 16, 2016, 09:38:26 am »

Arter Adventures, you made a promo event. Enpires is out now. Do you plan to follow a similar pattern and make a promo landmark?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: July 16, 2016, 12:54:54 pm »

What would you say the translation should have been?
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: July 16, 2016, 01:22:34 pm »
+8

Arter Adventures, you made a promo event. Enpires is out now. Do you plan to follow a similar pattern and make a promo landmark?
That's not the kind of question I answer, unless this counts.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: July 16, 2016, 01:31:20 pm »
+20

Would you consider creating a digital expansion that is gradually gainable by going outside to hunt for cards via an augmented reality app?

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: July 16, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »
+2

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you do keep making expansions at, say, one per year: how long before I get to see a card called "Squirt"?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.