Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2136602 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3100 on: June 14, 2016, 05:11:15 am »
+10

So, people always ask what was your biggest Dominion failure.  But I don't remember if anyone asked the opposite question: In your entire time making Dominion, what do you think has been your biggest accomplishment?
A big trick that Dominion does is, it lets you have a more complex game, a greater number of card interactions without getting to be too much, via the magic of hiding your cards in a deck. It's like building a tableau, but without the impossibility of making sure everything happens that's supposed to.

Ah, so you mean, as opposed to, say, Cosmic Encounter, where all the rule-bending effects and their interactions are always present? Yes um I guess that's great but many games had it before, not only card games like M:tG but also games where effects are bound to, say, creatures on a map and interactions only happen on encounters between creatures.

Or did you mean something else?
It's a "please boast" question so it's not a point I want to belabor. Does Dominion accomplish anything really? Man. Basically it's just War with a special deck.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: June 14, 2016, 07:31:56 am »
+13

It's a "please boast" question so it's not a point I want to belabor.

I could have designed Dominion blindfolded and with one arm tied behind my back.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: June 14, 2016, 10:15:07 am »
+1

Probably it has been done by others (?), but I really like the "only use some of the things" aspect of Dominion and the other Donald X. games I've played (Kingdom Builder/Temporum). It really deadens the "I've done this before" feeling that creeps in after playing a game a few times.  I think it is one of the biggest accomplishments of Dominion regardless of whether it is or isn't a repeat or variation of something that had been done before.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: June 14, 2016, 10:21:09 am »
+2

I could have designed Dominion blindfolded and with one arm tied behind my back.

Well I could have designed it blindfolded, with one arm tired behind my back, and hungover!
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: June 14, 2016, 10:32:45 am »
+6

I could have designed it if you were blindfolded with one arm tied behind your back, too.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: June 14, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »

How much effort do you really put into the recommended sets?  With all the millions of combinations how do you know what to aim for?  Do you think you'll continue to do recommended sets since they take up more room in the rulebook with each expansion?
-The Compulsive Completist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: June 14, 2016, 11:05:15 pm »
+10

How much effort do you really put into the recommended sets?  With all the millions of combinations how do you know what to aim for?  Do you think you'll continue to do recommended sets since they take up more room in the rulebook with each expansion?
They take a while but not due to being cleverly worked out. I try to use the new cards about equally often, and to do the obvious themes. I look at the visual spoilers for the other sets, also the wiki should have those somewhere (you know, a page with all Seaside images, no hovering or mixing them into recommended sets, they're just there). There will be a list of 6 cards I've picked so far for one and I will go on to another one and then come back to it.

The game is made to try to work with randomly picked cards. I think it does a good job there and so do not worry too much about the recommended sets. First Game was important; the others less so. The one key thing is to have some $5's (except at least once I decided, let's make one with no $5's).

I try to play them once each, and offer them up for other people to play. Sometimes they get tweaked as a result.

People like the recommended sets so I expect to keep doing them. If rulebook space were ever an issue I would cut down on how many there were but have at least one per expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 15, 2016, 12:09:56 am »
+20

also the wiki should have those somewhere (you know, a page with all Seaside images, no hovering or mixing them into recommended sets, they're just there).

Your wish is my command.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: June 15, 2016, 01:08:01 pm »
+7

Is Jessi J a new name for Jessica Cox, or are they a new artist for Empires?
Jessi J is a different person.
My mistake, further research indicates that they are the same person.

Where on the list of mistakes would you rank this one?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: June 15, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »
+38

Is Jessi J a new name for Jessica Cox, or are they a new artist for Empires?
Jessi J is a different person.
My mistake, further research indicates that they are the same person.

Where on the list of mistakes would you rank this one?
It's worse than when I got addicted to self-referential posts, but not as bad as that time I felt obligated to answer someone's joke question.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: June 15, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »

What's your favorite Adventures card(s)? What about Empires?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:50 pm »
+1

Are you sure that's not like asking him what his favorite North Korean dictator is?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: June 15, 2016, 07:02:10 pm »

Are you sure that's not like asking him what his favorite North Korean dictator is?
Well, he at least has a favorite overall card....
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:38 pm »

Well, he at least has a favorite overall card....

Yes.  Rats. 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: June 15, 2016, 09:58:41 pm »
+1

What's your favorite question that can be equated to 'Who is your favorite North Korean dictator?'

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: June 15, 2016, 11:35:35 pm »
+1

What's your favorite question that can be equated to 'Who is your favorite North Korean dictator?'

Kim Un, do you really expect him to answer that?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: June 16, 2016, 12:56:39 am »

If you had to do a licensed property retheme of Dominion (I know you've said in the past that this doesn't interest you, but let's say you HAD to), which one would you most like to see?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: June 16, 2016, 01:36:41 am »
+15

What's your favorite Adventures card(s)? What about Empires?
Base: Throne Room
Intrigue: Pawn
Seaside: Smugglers
Alchemy: Apprentice; for cards with P in the cost, Golem
Prosperity: Peddler
Cornucopia: Menagerie, though Tournament is close, Tournament-haters
Hinterlands: Develop
Dark Ages: Rats
Guilds: Herald
Promos: Black Market
Base Cards: Copper

Adventures: It seems unfair to pick Page/Peasant, since they're each 5 cards, but man I pick those. I'll give Peasant the edge because I don't have to think "maybe people hate this because Warrior could kill their Warrior." Aside from those, Transmogrify. For Events, Inheritance.

Empires: It's a harder call here due to the lack of any kind of test of time. For regular cards, just trying to think, what will I be happy to see on a board today, I am picking Enchantress and Catapult, though that's not exactly fair for Enchantress because it's one of the last cards added and so has some new-card love affair going on there. Villa, Temple, and Settlers are all stand-outs too. For Events, Banquet. For Landmarks, uh man. Wolf Den, Arena, Battlefield, Fountain.

For the expansion question, if I group them into tiers and just consider the big expansions (it's harder to fairly compare the small ones), the low tier is Dominion and Intrigue, next is Seaside, next is Prosperity and Hinterlands, top is Dark Ages, Adventures, Empires. That's unfair too because the last three are all extra large in some sense. The thing is though, that if you are in a Business, and interact with people in what might be considered a Promotional way, then the only acceptable answer is, that the most recent thing is the best thing. Now as it happens the later stuff tends to be better for some kinds of things, because you get better as you go along. And that has certainly happened with Dominion (insufficiently countered by worsening due to complexity or using up good ideas). But I don't want my answer to be suspect, is he just pushing the product or what. And I don't want to be that awful guy, from a publisher's perspective, that guy letting you down on promotion; man the Ascora Games guy was Not Pleased when someone in a BGG thread asked me to pick which was best from a subset of my games, and the answer wasn't Nefarious (I put Nefarious pretty high up, but I prefer Dominion, and don't feel like that's unreasonable).

So anyway I mean. When you (not you mail-mi) ask a question that to me amounts to "which publisher do you want to be happiest" or "do you prefer being honest to your fans vs. having publishers want to publish your games," well you know, I prefer being honest, but I think I can just not answer some of those questions, I think that's the move there. Which expansions do the fans like the best, that's a way better question.

It is also tricky between the three because Empires is newer and so fresher which raises it, while Dark Ages is much older but gets some nostalgia boosting it there, and Adventures has the negative association with people being pissed about the bendier cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: June 16, 2016, 01:51:40 am »
+3

If you had to do a licensed property retheme of Dominion (I know you've said in the past that this doesn't interest you, but let's say you HAD to), which one would you most like to see?
There are licensed property Dominion rethemes, in Japanese. I'm not too familiar with those properties. Hmmm, if you were looking for stuff to add to the wiki... An example: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/89383/touhou-shisouroku-touhou-koumakyou-hen

We've been approached a couple times for English ones; it might happen someday. I feel no pressure there, it will need to be both un-embarrassing and a decent deal.

There's no special attraction to me to tying any particular licensed property to Dominion; I mean uh, it's not like there's something where I think "that would sure resonate." It would just be a retheme of Dominion. However much I like the property, it's not super exciting. If fans thought it was a good fit though, that would be fine; I wouldn't need to shoot it down for lack of resonance.

For new non-Dominion games, Adventure Time seems like a fun property to work with. That is getting used up fast though, at some point it will not even seem good anymore, because you would just have yet another Adventure Time game. There probably isn't a good one yet though so there's that.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: June 16, 2016, 11:19:36 am »
+2

Wow, I am shocked this exists. Oversexualized Dominion. Like, are there even any dudes? It's like the opposite problem in Japan from here. That's kind of funny.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:20:40 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: June 16, 2016, 11:23:30 am »
+2

Wow, I am shocked this exists. Oversexualized Dominion. Like, are there even any dudes? It's like the opposite problem in Japan from here. That's kind of funny.

Rule 34 man.  Also... Japan. Do you even need to ask. Anime girls over there are like Disney merchandise here.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:48 am »
+2

(2hu Dominion)

As far as I know there are no dudes in Touhou. There are just a bunch of witches with universe-warping powers.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: June 16, 2016, 12:37:25 pm »

So you didn't know about the doll, huh? http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12578.0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3123 on: June 17, 2016, 11:14:09 am »

Have you ever played Dominion in a house with pets, and if so have they ever messed up a game?

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: June 17, 2016, 11:26:39 am »
+1

Have you ever played Dominion in a house with children, and if so have they ever messed up a game?

FYP (from personal experience :)
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.