Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2134464 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2975 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:23 am »

Why do you have the "(Action, not Action card)" part on Diadem, but not on Conspirator?

I'm confused by this question. "Action, not Action card" doesn't seem to apply to Conspirator at all. It applies to Diadem because Diadem is counting the number of "action resources" that you have. Conspirator does no such thing, it counts the number of times action cards were played.

In Dominion, the term "action" has 2 mostly-unrelated meanings. 1) It is a type of card. 2) It is an intangible resource that you have, like . You start with 1 each turn, and get more by playing certain cards. Those things could have been called something other than "actions", but they weren't. Diadem cares about those. Conspirator does not. Putting "Action, not Action card" on Conspirator isn't just unneeded; it would be flat-out wrong.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 26, 2016, 11:12:30 am »

I'm assuming he meant to have Conspirator say 'Action Card'.  But it isn't necessary because the other interpretation doesn't make much sense, as you say.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1729
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2977 on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:12 am »
+1

No, I meant Action, not Action card, because that's what Conspirator refers to.  So like, when you play King's Court - Conspirator (1) - Conspirator (2) - Conspirator (3), the Conspirator (2) will activate because that's your third Action that turn, even though it's your second Action card.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 26, 2016, 01:39:13 pm »
+2

No, I meant Action, not Action card, because that's what Conspirator refers to.  So like, when you play King's Court - Conspirator (1) - Conspirator (2) - Conspirator (3), the Conspirator (2) will activate because that's your third Action that turn, even though it's your second Action card.

It's not your second Action card, though.  It's your third. First was King's Court, second was Conspirator (1), third was Conspirator (2).  At least that's how I'd see it.. Conspirator doesn't say Action (or Action card) in play, it says 'played'. 

You can't play the 'Actions' that are considered in Diadem because those are counters, not things that get played. 

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1608
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 26, 2016, 01:45:54 pm »

It's not your second Action card, though.  It's your third. First was King's Court, second was Conspirator (1), third was Conspirator (2).  At least that's how I'd see it.. Conspirator doesn't say Action (or Action card) in play, it says 'played'. 

You can't play the 'Actions' that are considered in Diadem because those are counters, not things that get played.

Conspirator (1) and Conspirator (2) are the same card, so they are the same Action card. So what is Conspirator counting? I think it must be:

Number of the times during the turn you either
1) Played an Action card by spending an action from your action pool; or
2) Played an Action card as a result of being instructed to do so by some effect (like Throne Room, Procession, King's Court, Golem, Herald, and Cultist).

I remembed Donald saying before that if he had a do-over on Conspirator, he would word it like Peddler to count Action cards in play.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:47:21 pm by singletee »

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2980 on: April 26, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »

I could be wrong but I'm like 95% sure Conspirator counts the Actions (like Diadem), not Action cards.  This is different than things like Horn of Plenty, Peddler, Shanty Town, etc., which specifically count the cards themselves.

So for example, you KC - Conspirator (1), C (2), C (3).  The second and third C's will be activated because they're your third and fourth used Actions that turn, although that string of cards only counts as 2 cards towards Peddler.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:47:35 pm by Dingan »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 26, 2016, 01:48:46 pm »

Exactly. If you play TR+Conspirator, you are playing an action card a total of 3 times. And what conspirator cares about is the number of times you played an action card. It doesn't care about actions in the way Diadem does.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 26, 2016, 01:51:45 pm »
+4

I could be wrong but I'm like 95% sure Conspirator counts the Actions (like Diadem), not Action cards.  This is different than things like Horn of Plenty, Peddler, Shanty Town, etc., which specifically count the cards themselves.

So for example, you KC - Conspirator (1), C (2), C (3).  The second and third C's will be activated because they're your third and fourth used Actions that turn, although that string of cards only counts as 2 cards towards Peddler.

You're mixing up terminology. Imagine that Dominion had clearer terminology... To play an action card, you must spend a mana. You start every turn with 1 mana in your mana pool. When you play a Village, you first spend a mana, because that's the cost of playing an action card. You then draw a card and add 2 mana to your mana pool.

Diadem counts the amount of mana in your mana pool. Conspirator doesn't care at all about how much mana is in your mana pool. It cards about how many spells you've cast this turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 26, 2016, 01:54:33 pm »

Sorry for the triple reply here, but this statement is 90% correct; all but the bold part. It's not counting how many actions you used, but rather how many times you played an action card. This is different, because when you play a card with TR, that doesn't use any actions other than the 1 you used to play throne room. But you're right that it's different for Peddler, which counts cards in play.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:55:41 pm by GendoIkari »

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2984 on: April 26, 2016, 01:56:53 pm »

Exactly. If you play TR+Conspirator, you are playing an action card a total of 3 times. And what conspirator cares about is the number of times you played an action card. It doesn't care about actions in the way Diadem does.

I think maybe we're saying the same thing but just thinking about it differently.  I guess I can see 4 completely different usages of the word "action" in Dominion:
  • Your Action phase
  • An Action card
  • The thing in your "action pool".  That is, the things that you start with 1 of at the start of your Action phase, that you can gain more of with cards like Village. Diadem counts these.
  • The thing Conspirator counts.  That is, how many times you've played an Action card.
It helps me to think of (3) and (4) as the same thing, at least I think it does.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:00:06 pm by Dingan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: April 26, 2016, 02:00:12 pm »
+8

(3) and (4) aren't the same thing.  After you play a Village, (3) is 2 actions remaining while (4) is one action played.  (4) only increases while (3) goes up and down as you play splitters and terminals.  Cards like TR and KC provide ways to increment (4) without a corresponding decrement of (3).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:02:30 pm by eHalcyon »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:07 pm »

Conspirator (1) and Conspirator (2) are the same card, so they are the same Action card. So what is Conspirator counting? I think it must be:

Number of the times during the turn you either
1) Played an Action card by spending an action from your action pool; or
2) Played an Action card as a result of being instructed to do so by some effect (like Throne Room, Procession, King's Court, Golem, Herald, and Cultist).

I remembed Donald saying before that if he had a do-over on Conspirator, he would word it like Peddler to count Action cards in play.

I don't see why it matters whether they are the same Action Card or not.  You played that Action Card twice.  You're counting how many times you played them, not how many cards there are.

Edit: I suppose my earlier post there should have said 'It's not your second Action card played, though.  It's your third.' to make it clear.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:07:39 pm by Witherweaver »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:40 pm »

(3) and (4) aren't the same thing.  After you play a Village, (3) is 2 actions remaining while (4) is one action played.  (4) only increases while (3) goes up and down as you play splitters and terminals.  Cards like TR and KC provide ways to increment (4) without a corresponding decrement of (3).

Right. In MTG terms, 3 is mana, while 4 is the number of spells cast this turn. Throne Room allows you to cast a spell without paying its mana cost. When you TR-Conspirator, you have only spent 1 mana (or one (3) action), but you have played 3 spells (or three (4) actions).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 26, 2016, 06:01:53 pm »
+2

Now, why doesn't Conspirator work like Peddler does, that's because I didn't think of it. I don't so much care how the Throne Room case falls out, and would prefer the simplicity of "just count Action cards in play." Obv. it would be better with Durations so that's a thing that would need testing.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: May 04, 2016, 01:22:40 am »
+2

There was some discussion about designing an "online-only" promo card for Dominion Online, and I seem to recall you were in favour of the idea (and may have even openly offered to Goko/MF to design one). Is that offer still on the table for ShuffleIT, should they want it?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:33 pm »
+3

There was some discussion about designing an "online-only" promo card for Dominion Online, and I seem to recall you were in favour of the idea (and may have even openly offered to Goko/MF to design one). Is that offer still on the table for ShuffleIT, should they want it?
Sure. It would depend on me having a good idea and then having it work out, but it's on the table.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2991 on: May 04, 2016, 02:12:03 pm »

Sure. It would depend on me having a good idea and then having it work out, but it's on the table.

I feel some of the best parts about playing online are that during big enginey turns, it (1) remembers decisions you made (e.g. Pawn), (2) keeps track of crazy stuff (Procession-Procession-Bandit Camp-...), and (3) enforces weird rules (or at least tries to), so that you don't have to keep track of such things as carefully as you would IRL.  As such, would an online-only promo utilize decisions, crazy stuff, and weird rules (more so than typical cards, at least)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: May 04, 2016, 02:16:08 pm »
+7

I feel some of the best parts about playing online are that during big enginey turns, it (1) remembers decisions you made (e.g. Pawn), (2) keeps track of crazy stuff (Procession-Procession-Bandit Camp-...), and (3) enforces weird rules (or at least tries to), so that you don't have to keep track of such things as carefully as you would IRL.  As such, would an online-only promo utilize decisions, crazy stuff, and weird rules (more so than typical cards, at least)?
No, it would have to be something that could not be done in the physical version - not just something that would suck in the physical version due to memory issues etc.

My previous example was a card that modified itself each time you played it... and then I made that in the physical version.

But uh let's not try to figure this out here dude, there's a forum for homemade cards.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: May 04, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
+3

Who is your favourite North Korean dictator?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: May 04, 2016, 02:36:19 pm »
+10

Dude, it's like you're asking me which of my children is my favorite.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:56 pm »
+2

Which North Korean dictator's child is your favorite?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2996 on: May 04, 2016, 02:50:55 pm »
+2

Dude, it's like you're asking me which of my children is my favorite.

Today I learned that Donald X. is every North Korean dictator's dad.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: May 04, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »
+3

What was the hardest card to develop?

What is your favorite Empires card? Is it your new favorite now?

What inspired you to create Dominion: Empires?

How do you get card ideas? Do you dream of them? Do you dream of electrip sheep?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: May 04, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »
+9

What was the hardest card to develop?
Horn of Plenty stands out as one that got tried in a bunch of forms over a period of years.

What is your favorite Empires card? Is it your new favorite now?
It's sad that it wasn't absolutely clear to you that I wasn't possibly answering this.

What inspired you to create Dominion: Empires?
There will be a Secret History article as usual.

How do you get card ideas? Do you dream of them? Do you dream of electrip sheep?
I don't wait for ideas to come to me; I hunt them down.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: May 04, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »
+4

Is it too soon to ask the question 'if you had a time machine, what card of Adventureres would you change'? If not, than that's my question.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.