Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127124 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2875 on: March 08, 2016, 11:09:05 pm »
+5

What constitutes a big horizontal line on a card?  I kind of thought it separates things that happen on-play vs. things that happen at some other time like during setup (Young Witch), as a reaction (Secret Chamber), during cleanup (Treasury), etc.  But that doesn't explain why Nobles has it but Harem doesn't.  Or why Lighthouse has it but other Durations don't.
Yes. Harem should have it - it's a mistake that it doesn't.

Duration cards don't because they set up an effect for later, now. The text below the line is something the *card* does at some time other than when-played. You play Merchant Ship, it sets you up to get +$2 next turn, and the card is no longer involved; you could Procession it and still get the $. Whereas say Highway requires the card in play to give you the bonus.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 14, 2016, 12:20:30 pm »

There are several cases of cards that do something fairly similar or have similar effects, but a difference in wording means they end up being used differently. The obvious example would be Bridge versus Highway, where a lack of "while this is in play" allows you to TR Bridge but not Highway. But there's also Conspirator versus Peddler - Conspirator counts action cards you have played while Peddler counts action cards in play. It usually doesn't matter but Conspirator is affected by one-shots, whereas Peddler is affected by durations.

Is this usually intentional? Did you make it that way for balance purposes, or did the idea of how to word cards just evolve over time?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 14, 2016, 05:46:30 pm »
+7

There are several cases of cards that do something fairly similar or have similar effects, but a difference in wording means they end up being used differently. The obvious example would be Bridge versus Highway, where a lack of "while this is in play" allows you to TR Bridge but not Highway. But there's also Conspirator versus Peddler - Conspirator counts action cards you have played while Peddler counts action cards in play. It usually doesn't matter but Conspirator is affected by one-shots, whereas Peddler is affected by durations.

Is this usually intentional? Did you make it that way for balance purposes, or did the idea of how to word cards just evolve over time?
For those two cases it's evolution.

Today I would do Conspirator like Peddler, no question. It's very similar but simpler.

For Bridge the presence or lack of Throne Room combos matters enough that it's not 100% that I would go the Highway route. Also for a while I thought the while-in-play wording was simpler, but now I'm not so sure. So the evolution is on-going. Still, Princess, Highway, and Bridge Troll all use the new wording.

In general I would like Throne Room combos to exist, if there are no other factors, and don't so much mind if they do or not, if there are other factors, which there always are.

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #2878 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:20 pm »
+4

What did you think of Star Wars Episode 7, if you have seen it? What do you think of Star Wars in general?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 14, 2016, 09:02:35 pm »
+7

What did you think of Star Wars Episode 7, if you have seen it? What do you think of Star Wars in general?
Given the nature of my life, I don't see movies in the theater anymore. I will probably see it via Netflix some months after they get it. I'm not anticipating being awed based on the reviews, but I doubt it will be hard to sit through.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are good, with Star Wars being better though most people say otherwise. It's hard to remember how bad Return of the Jedi is; in my memory it sounds good but my memory also knows that it isn't. Even if you remember "it's mostly muppets fighting robots" it still doesn't sound as bad as it actually is. Phantom Menace was awful; as Richard Garfield put it, Star Wars fans must be thinking, what have I done with my life? Attack of the Clones was bad and then I thought, man why did I see that, and never saw Revenge of the Sith. People said it was better but whatever guys; no regrets there. Life is too short for me to see movies just so I can unfunnily mock them.

At the root of Star Wars is this idea of taking good ideas other people had had and combining them together. Overall it's an homage to old serials and Japanese stuff. It copies a lot but I don't hold that against it; it's a fine mix of things.

To me it seems like Lucas and Spielberg led the charge for movies becoming more glossy in the 80s. Star Wars is from 1977 and feels more like a 70s movie. It has slow patches, less polish. It has some natural scenery.

When I last did the math, Star Wars was my 11th favorite movie of the 70s. I have it behind four Woody Allen movies and two Monty Python movies, oh yes, plus A Clockwork Orange, Snake in Eagle's Shadow, Taxi Driver, and Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: March 15, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »
+1

Here's an easy one: What is your opinion on Magic: The Gathering's so-called "Double-Faced Cards"?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 16, 2016, 12:57:06 am »
+2

Here's an easy one: What is your opinion on Magic: The Gathering's so-called "Double-Faced Cards"?
The basic idea of having one card turn into another, with the second one all laid out exactly like a regular card, is fantastic. And for casual or serious constructed play, you can just use opaque sleeves (which bend at the corners more than clear ones), or use the thing they have to mark what the card is and then get the card when you need it. And hey I did Hermit/Madman and Urchin/Mercenary in Dark Ages, and the Travellers in Adventures.

For many years there all of my Magic games were after drafts. For drafts I don't like how the one card is announced; I've got this werewolf, now I'm taking it. For many years the way I drafted was a "greed draft," where you look at cards one a time and stop when you want but can't go backwards. They don't work at all there. To play with Innistrad I would have had to take out the DFC, and replace them with regular cards with a slip of paper explaining what you were really getting.

I never actually drafted with DFC so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds for people doing non-greed drafts.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2882 on: March 16, 2016, 01:26:41 am »
+11

Are there other tabletop games where the creator/owner/president awesomely and reliably responds to random people within like 30 minutes?

And on another note, thanks for doing what you do!  Dominion You have had a direct effect on the improvement of my quality of life, and my relationships with my friends and loved ones :)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 16, 2016, 01:39:44 am »
+9

Are there other tabletop games where the creator/owner/president awesomely and reliably responds to random people within like 30 minutes?

And on another note, thanks for doing what you do!  Dominion You have had a direct effect on the improvement of my quality of life, and my relationships with my friends and loved ones :)

I just heard of this game called kingdom builder that is supposed to have a pretty cool creator too. You should try talking to him sometime.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 16, 2016, 02:33:53 am »
+7

I'm there for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:49 am »

What are some things that your opinion/enjoyment of changed significantly due to age/life experiences?  Not so much childhood things, since you probably don't watch the same Saturday morning cartoons, but something that a different outlook caused you to appreciate in a different way.

For example, when I first read Great Gatsby I didn't have much of an opinion on it, but I had to read it again for a college class, and it became one of my favorites.  I'm not sure what changed, really, maybe just because I was older, or maybe I took more time to pay attention to it. 

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: March 16, 2016, 01:25:44 pm »

What do you despise more than anything else in the world? Is it nails on a chalk board? Dull pencils? Stepping in the dog's water dish?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 16, 2016, 02:28:29 pm »
+4

What do you despise more than anything else in the world? Is it nails on a chalk board? Dull pencils? Stepping in the dog's water dish?

Annoying questions?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: March 16, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »

Annoying questions?

Is it really that bad?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 16, 2016, 02:32:12 pm »

Annoying questions?

Is it really that bad?

No, I was making a self-deprecating joke that was probably in need of explaining.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 16, 2016, 02:48:52 pm »

Annoying questions?

Is it really that bad?

No, I was making a self-deprecating joke that was probably in need of explaining.

It sounded more like it was Seprix-deprecating. :P

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »
+2

What are some things that your opinion/enjoyment of changed significantly due to age/life experiences?  Not so much childhood things, since you probably don't watch the same Saturday morning cartoons, but something that a different outlook caused you to appreciate in a different way.

For example, when I first read Great Gatsby I didn't have much of an opinion on it, but I had to read it again for a college class, and it became one of my favorites.  I'm not sure what changed, really, maybe just because I was older, or maybe I took more time to pay attention to it.
Yeah it's been months since I've seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I'm not sure I have any real examples of that.
- I used to be more tolerant of slow movies.
- I use up music; put on a great song I've heard too many times, and my brain just edits it out.
- I guess there are differences due to having kids. It used to be, there's a kid screaming in a restaurant, man who are those awful people. Now it's, ah, not my problem. Check out how great things are going over at my table. Anyway that probably affects what I'd think of some book, but man I can't cite a book there.
- When something has lots of cultural references, you will get more of that stuff as you learn more of the referenced stuff. There's nothing special about me there though.

My perspective on reality has shifted over time, but not in a way that has really spoiled or enriched entertainment.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:19 pm »
+3

Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch.

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 17, 2016, 09:15:52 am »

Are we going to see reserve cards again (ok not in empires but maybe post-empires 8))? Or at least do you have some ideas left to do for them?
I feel like there is still plenty to do and of couse you would need mats for them but that isnt a big problem is it?

mrjt

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:04 am »
+2

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what is your storage solution?

I have everything but Cornucopia and the Promos, and I'm still good with my modded Hobby Lobby case, but I think Empires will force me to go another route.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:07 pm »
+4

Are we going to see reserve cards again (ok not in empires but maybe post-empires 8))? Or at least do you have some ideas left to do for them?
I feel like there is still plenty to do and of couse you would need mats for them but that isnt a big problem is it?
Questions like this about the far future tend to be impossible to answer, and when they're about the near future I'm not answering them. Reserve cards are not ruled out for future use; as with anything, it would need to seem exciting enough to revisit them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:52 pm »
+3

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what is your storage solution?

I have everything but Cornucopia and the Promos, and I'm still good with my modded Hobby Lobby case, but I think Empires will force me to go another route.
I use the long white cardboard boxes that people store Magic cards in; one 400-count box per regular sleeved large expansion. The prototypes are sleeved Magic cards with slips of paper in front of them. And they still look like they always have, like the ones you can see in the outtakes article.

I don't do anything for actual Dominion cards; I don't play with them or lug them around. I have them in their original boxes.

There are three storage solutions that always sound the best to me:
- the long white cardboard boxes that I use
- binders
- each pile in a separate baggie sans randomizer

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 18, 2016, 02:24:11 am »
+10

Hiw du yuo deak wi/ all the drunks posting in yuor question thrad two days b4 their weddinf?

8)
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 18, 2016, 01:57:46 pm »

Gene Billingsley seems to do so on his own designs. Admittedly, he's much more prominent as a game publisher (GMT Games, published Twilight Struggle, Command & Colors and many other things) rather than designer.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 18, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

Gene Billingsley seems to do so on his own designs. Admittedly, he's much more prominent as a game publisher (GMT Games, published Twilight Struggle, Command & Colors and many other things) rather than designer.

Jamey Stegmaier of Stonemaier games.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 225  All

Page created in 1.142 seconds with 21 queries.