Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126785 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2450 on: July 04, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
+1

It would be fairly straightforward to convert Treasure cards to actions, by giving them +1 Action and having them produce the appropriate amount of coin.

You could also have such a card have a sub-category, so that its type would be "Action-Treasure."

Did you test versions of Dominion without Treasures? After all, Kingdom Treasures didn't come up until Prosperity, when the Treasure's strategic space had already been created (barring Harem, which is essentially a Silver with an end-game bonus), while Kingdom Victory cards existed from the start.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:19:35 pm by Marcory »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 04, 2015, 06:04:38 pm »

It would be fairly straightforward to convert Treasure cards to actions, by giving them +1 Action and having them produce the appropriate amount of coin.

You could also have such a card have a sub-category, so that its type would be "Action-Treasure."

Did you test versions of Dominion without Treasures? After all, Kingdom Treasures didn't come up until Prosperity, when the Treasure's strategic space had already been created, while Kingdom Victory cards existed from the start.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1225.0
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 04, 2015, 06:14:03 pm »

Sure, I understand that some Treasures would be better or worse as Actions, but I was wondering why the Treasure (as a separate, Buy-phase only card) came to be. Having cards that are (normally) playable only in the Buy phase creates a strategic space, and the existence of this space is a major difference between Dominion and many of its clones.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:18:50 pm by Marcory »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 04, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »
+1

Sure, I understand that some Treasures would be better or worse as Actions, but I was wondering why the Treasure (as a separate, Buy-phase only card) came to be. Having cards that are (normally) playable only in the Buy phase creates a strategic space, and the existence of this space is a major difference between Dominion and many of its clones.

Sure, didn't mean for my link to be pointing out that treasureless Dominion would be different; rather your post just reminded me of that discussion and I linked to it since it's related.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:44 pm »
+11

Did you test versions of Dominion without Treasures? After all, Kingdom Treasures didn't come up until Prosperity, when the Treasure's strategic space had already been created (barring Harem, which is essentially a Silver with an end-game bonus), while Kingdom Victory cards existed from the start.
I did not test Dominion without treasures.

Treasures with abilities didn't appear until 2006. Which is to say, they were obvious and I had them immediately. Okay as a rough measure of how long it took me to try them: Harem is on page 3, Cache on page 5, out of the earliest 9-card pages of cards.

I felt that every set wanted a special victory card. I did not feel that every set needed a special treasure, and Prosperity had them as a theme. So I saved them for Prosperity, to be more exciting when they debuted. Then Philosopher's Stone snuck out ahead due to Alchemy getting pushed up. It was a concern for me at the time, was I ruining Prosperity too much by having that treasure in Alchemy. In the end, no, it did not ruin Prosperity.

Dominion has treasures because it was part of the premise. I kept them because they worked. I didn't try not having them, because I was happy having them. In general I do not focus on trying different things for a part of a game that's working great. I focus on the parts that aren't working, or on making more stuff.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 20, 2015, 06:00:54 am »

I was just wondering: What do you think, how many humans on earth have already played dominion? I really have no idea whether it's closer to 100000 or 100000000 ...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 20, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »
+6

I was just wondering: What do you think, how many humans on earth have already played dominion? I really have no idea whether it's closer to 100000 or 100000000 ...
I remember when it was exactly 4 and exactly 12, but at this point I have no idea. I know how many copies have sold but there's a lot more to the story. A lot of the numbers I just won't have; how many copies of the app with my name in the title went out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 20, 2015, 09:04:32 pm »
+2

I remember when it was exactly 4 and exactly 12, but at this point I have no idea. I know how many copies have sold but there's a lot more to the story. A lot of the numbers I just won't have; how many copies of the app with my name in the title went out?

Surely you could extrapolate from that data.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 21, 2015, 01:16:13 am »
+11

Surely you could extrapolate from that data.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 21, 2015, 07:33:20 am »

Or find some more (rich) dads.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: July 29, 2015, 05:11:21 pm »
+4

(At least 50% chance this has been said here already, fingers crossed...)

I just want to express my happiness here that the metagame has shifted towards "Engine every chance you get". Back when I played my first game, I naturally saw the Village-Smithy engine as the heart and soul of the game. I was slightly disappointed when I read that "BM Double Terminal is going to be strong more often than you think" (though the thrill of knowing a "better strategy" than most plebs more than compensated at the time). When I returned to Dominion and found that Engines are Cool Again, it was pretty great.

I guess my question is: how do you feel about this paradigm shift? Does this make you say, "yes! This is what I always wanted it to be!" Or do you feel like the game has now lost some variety?

(I know this is all old news, insert a slowpoke meme here. I haven't been part of the dominion scene for a while.)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:12 pm »
+8

I guess my question is: how do you feel about this paradigm shift? Does this make you say, "yes! This is what I always wanted it to be!" Or do you feel like the game has now lost some variety?
I think it's important that the people who want simple options have those options. I personally enjoy combos the most; my favorite sets are Dark Ages and Adventures.

My experience hasn't been the same as the public's. I had a pile of expansions in 2007. So uh. I haven't felt a shift like that really.

In terms of people talking about the game online, well it was cool when there was that contest for the First Game set and the winner's strategy used 9 of the cards. It certainly beats the early "silver test" stuff.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 30, 2015, 03:35:29 am »

I just want to express my happiness here that the metagame has shifted towards "Engine every chance you get". Back when I played my first game, I naturally saw the Village-Smithy engine as the heart and soul of the game. I was slightly disappointed when I read that "BM Double Terminal is going to be strong more often than you think" (though the thrill of knowing a "better strategy" than most plebs more than compensated at the time). When I returned to Dominion and found that Engines are Cool Again, it was pretty great.

Sometimes the sentiment goes even this far, dare I say bordering on putting style over substance. The downtimeside of comboes is that not everyone enjoys watching me playing with myself.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:52:09 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:30 am »
+1

Sometimes the sentiment goes even this far, dare I say bordering on putting style over substance. The downtimeside of comboes is that not everyone enjoys watching me playing with myself.

Fixed the broken url.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 30, 2015, 01:18:37 pm »
+2

In terms of people talking about the game online, well it was cool when there was that contest for the First Game set and the winner's strategy used 9 of the cards. It certainly beats the early "silver test" stuff.

Do you know, that's actually what brought me back to dominion? Last month, I was in need of a distraction and on a whim I looked up the Building the First Game Engine article. I saw michaeljb's solution was tacked on as a new paragraph that I didn't remember. I tried it out a couple of times, and went, holy cow I never thought I'd have so much fun on the First Game set. And now I'm hooked all over again.

Sometimes the sentiment goes even this far, dare I say bordering on putting style over substance.
I will never apologize for putting style over substance in Dominion. :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:22:07 pm by ancientcampus »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: August 01, 2015, 11:26:13 pm »

What do you think of the new Blur album 'The Magic Whip'? If you've listened to it, can you give a short review of the songs, along with your rating of the album?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:15 am »
+2

What do you think of the new Blur album 'The Magic Whip'? If you've listened to it, can you give a short review of the songs, along with your rating of the album?
Well it's easily their 2nd best album, after Parklife. Considering Albarn's other projects, tentatively 3rd best after Plastic Beach, which I haven't heard in a while.

Musically it is not trying to do anything too annoying or outside of my ken. Most songs have that subdued sad quality that Albarn has been stuck with for a while now. Like, you will be staring at the lyrics for Ice Cream Man, trying to figure out what terrifying thing is secretly going on, given how the lines are delivered.

Highlights are Ong Ong (a bouncier number), There Are Too Many of Us, Ice Cream Man, Lonesome Street, My Terracotta Heart.

I expect it will make my top 10 for the year but then I don't expect stiff competition. FFS is album of the year so far, but to be fair lots of stuff comes out in the fall..

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: August 02, 2015, 01:13:54 pm »
+5

I think it would be awesome if Donald X never listened to any of this music but was just really, really good at searching online and collecting opinions.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: August 02, 2015, 01:19:51 pm »
+1

I think it would be awesome if Donald X never listened to any of this music but was just really, really good at searching online and collecting opinions.

This is why it's very important that students email their questions in advance.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2469 on: August 02, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »
+1

Now we just need a computer program to do that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: August 18, 2015, 11:47:58 am »

Would you ever make another card, or was that just a gimmick for Poor House?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: August 18, 2015, 01:09:09 pm »
+5

Edge case: Shelters cost .

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: August 18, 2015, 01:16:04 pm »
+3

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 18, 2015, 01:17:15 pm »
+1

I meant Kingdom card and you all knew that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »
+4

Save (the event) costs .
Save (the card) costs $0.1125.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.