Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2141748 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2275 on: June 02, 2015, 02:14:14 pm »
+4

And at some point I said, Jeff, change those to Campaigns. And in fact they will be called Campaigns.

Such power.  Does it ever get to your head?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: June 02, 2015, 02:19:01 pm »
+4

"When you buy this, you may pay any amount of $ [...]"

So i'm wondering: Is that the same? And would you have solved overpay differently if you had known Storyteller would come?
That's the same mechanically (except the $0 and $P cases depend on the exact phrasing). I like how I did overpay though. It seems less confusing than Storyteller.

In the murky past, Prosperity had cards that let you pay $ (including something related to Storyteller). The cards died for various reasons. After that I went with "discard a treasure" instead as a simpler thing. It didn't seem confusing to pay extra for cards in Guilds and there it is; people ask "can I overpay $0" but of course you don't constantly want to do that. Then I finally went for the full-on confusing thing with Storyteller.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:46 pm »
+7

Sorry if this has been asked before: have you ever considered issuing an official fix for those cards (Rebuild in particular) or just outright banning them from "official Dominion"?
It seems possible that someday wordings could be tweaked on older cards to make them clearer, Pirate Ship being a stand-out example (the interaction with coin tokens from Guilds). We haven't talked about doing it though. We have not considered actual functional changes to older cards; we would just replace them with new cards that were similar and better-to-have-exist. We haven't considered actually replacing cards except in the main set; that may happen someday if I ever do the work.

Banning cards makes no sense. It's not Magic. If your group doesn't like Rebuild, don't play with it. If you are running a tournament, you can leave out Rebuild if you want. When I am called on to make lists of cards for tournaments, I leave out several cards, mainly ones that slow down play, like Spy.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: June 02, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »

On  a related note, what do you think of the Magic structure, where various cards/sets are banned from certain formats?  (I don't mean for Dominion, but for Magic in its own right.)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: June 02, 2015, 02:32:03 pm »
+5

This is admittedly a silly question, but when naming Adventures, did you consider or worry in the slightest about confusion with the Adventures challenges of Dominion Online Formerly Known as Goko?
When it came up, I said, they will just change that to Campaigns, which is what I've always called them anyway. And at some point I said, Jeff, change those to Campaigns. And in fact they will be called Campaigns.

But what if you make an expansion called "Dominion: Campaigns"?

See what I did there?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: June 02, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »
+13

And at some point I said, Jeff, change those to Campaigns. And in fact they will be called Campaigns.

Such power.  Does it ever get to your head?
Watch it bub. I am this close to having theory change your name to Memescouter.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 02, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
+3

On  a related note, what do you think of the Magic structure, where various cards/sets are banned from certain formats?  (I don't mean for Dominion, but for Magic in its own right.)
For individual cards in tournament formats, they obv. need to ban the minimum number to have tournaments not suck, and they try to, and the minimum number is not always zero. As they say, they have to take risks to have exciting cards, and that means sometimes they'll blow it.

For sets rotating, there are different perspectives.

- For Wizards of the Coast, it makes a lot of sense to rotate what sets are legal; it propels the cash cow.
- For tournaments, it's good because otherwise you solve the formats.
- For home play, you can just ignore it all and should, and make an endless series of themed cubes.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 02, 2015, 02:41:54 pm »
+1

But what if you make an expansion called "Dominion: Campaigns"?

See what I did there?
It doesn't seem likely; it sounds attack-themed, and I don't think fans want an attack-themed set. I am prepared though to endless harass Making Fun as to what they call the campaigns.

Distant Lands was called Campaign for a while. I don't think that would have made me not want to call the campaigns campaigns though.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 02, 2015, 02:58:59 pm »

Have you ever considered an Attack-Victory card?
(And by that i don't mean Dame Josephine)

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 02, 2015, 03:00:27 pm »
+1

Will you do an Outtakes article for Adventures?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 02, 2015, 03:08:37 pm »
+6

Have you ever considered an Attack-Victory card?
(And by that i don't mean Dame Josephine)
Pirate Ship started out as an Attack-Victory card worth VP based on how many treasures it had stolen.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 02, 2015, 03:09:28 pm »
+1

I haven't been planning on it. It's fun to look at the pictures, but it wouldn't have much if any new information.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 02, 2015, 03:36:19 pm »
+1

I haven't been planning on it. It's fun to look at the pictures, but it wouldn't have much if any new information.

I saved a selection of my outtake images for Adventures. Let me know if you want me to cobble them together for this; I don't mind doing that work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:37:56 pm by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: June 02, 2015, 03:51:08 pm »

Would it be okay to release the images from isotropic to put up on the wiki gallery, like with Prince and Guilds?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 02, 2015, 10:58:07 pm »

Would it be okay to release the images from isotropic to put up on the wiki gallery, like with Prince and Guilds?
I don't mind the images being on the wiki (although many are probably copyrighted things that you would in some sense need permission to use). I'm not going to okay you bothering Doug about it though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 02, 2015, 11:36:30 pm »
+1

I don't mind the images being on the wiki (although many are probably copyrighted things that you would in some sense need permission to use). I'm not going to okay you bothering Doug about it though.

Oh, I would probably bother one of the playtesters.  Jsh, LF, AdamH, etc.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: June 04, 2015, 04:24:01 am »

A question about Raze was raised here:

Say set A is the set containing only the Raze (this), and set B is the set containing all cards in your hand.

Does Raze ask you to select exactly one card from the union of A and B?  Or does it ask you to select one of the sets A or B, then select exactly one card from the set you chose?

In other words, does Raze just have you make a single choice, or does it first have you make a choice between two groups of cards, then potentially have you choose a card from that group?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:48 am »

Say set A is the set containing only the Raze (this), and set B is the set containing all cards in your hand.

Does Raze ask you to select exactly one card from the union of A and B?  Or does it ask you to select one of the sets A or B, then select exactly one card from the set you chose?

In other words, does Raze just have you make a single choice, or does it first have you make a choice between two groups of cards, then potentially have you choose a card from that group?

It says 'trash this card OR a card from your hand.' They are mutually exclusive. For example, if Raze was the only card in my hand, and I played it, I don't think you're forced to trash Raze, because the two sets are exclusive choices. You can choose to trash a 'phantom' card, much like you gaining a curse from Torturer if there is no curse to give. Obviously, you get no benefit, and would want to do this if say, you played Black Market, played your treasures, and played Raze with no cards left so when you bought something, you wouldn't top deck anything to Haunted Woods. Pretty rare scenario.

At least, that's what it logically seems to me
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:47:52 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 04, 2015, 03:49:09 pm »
+3

Raze is the same as "Choose one: Trash this; or trash a card from your hand." As always you can pick an option you then won't be able to do.

I see the rules forum guys.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 04, 2015, 04:02:13 pm »
+2

It says 'trash this card OR a card from your hand.' They are mutually exclusive. For example, if Raze was the only card in my hand, and I played it, I don't think you're forced to trash Raze, because the two sets are exclusive choices. You can choose to trash a 'phantom' card, much like you gaining a curse from Torturer if there is no curse to give. Obviously, you get no benefit, and would want to do this if say, you played Black Market, played your treasures, and played Raze with no cards left so when you bought something, you wouldn't top deck anything to Haunted Woods. Pretty rare scenario.

At least, that's what it logically seems to me

That's if you read it as "(trash this card) or (trash a card from your hand)", but you could also read it as "trash (this card or a card from your hand)".

Can I get some free upvotes for using quotation marks "correctly"?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: June 04, 2015, 04:04:23 pm »
+4

Clearly you need a comma  there to delimit:

Trash, this or a card from your hand.

(I mean to do the one that actually isn't what Raze does.)

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 05, 2015, 03:38:40 pm »

I'm really happy that I spawned a half-page discussion on six-player games in the Ask Donald X. thread.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 05, 2015, 03:55:49 pm »
+1

Are you happy that I spawned a half-page discussion on six-player games in your Q&A thread?

Fixed that for you.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:08 pm »
+3

Have you noticed f.ds people incorporating some of your speech mannerisms to their own posts? Does that bother you / amuse you / leave you completely indifferent?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:48 pm »
+3

Have you noticed f.ds people incorporating some of your speech mannerisms to their own posts? Does that bother you / amuse you / leave you completely indifferent?

...but not as indifferent as more indifferent people...

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.