Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127668 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2250 on: May 29, 2015, 06:23:28 pm »
+1

Port got 12 to get an even split in 2-player games.
Conveniently, it also splits in 3p games. And 6p, I guess. Gotta keep those 6-player games in mind. Can't have them getting unbalanced.

Port has a fun interaction with 6 player games. The pile can be easily emptied on turn 1.

Ignoring the juxtaposition of "fun" and "6 player," this is only a 1/64 chance without Borrow or Baker available.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: May 29, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »

Conveniently, it also splits in 3p games. And 6p, I guess. Gotta keep those 6-player games in mind. Can't have them getting unbalanced.

Port has a fun interaction with 6 player games. The pile can be easily emptied on turn 1.

Ignoring the juxtaposition of "fun" and "6 player," this is only a 1/64 chance without Borrow or Baker available.

Isn't it 1/128? Wow, i'm surprised as to how unlikely that actually is.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: May 30, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:13 am »

Ok well it can happen before the first shuffle every time; even without weird things like Lost City and Noble Brigand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: May 30, 2015, 10:01:09 am »

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

Wait...

1st player: 1/2
2nd: 1/4
3rd: 1/8
4th: 1/16
5th: 1/32
6th: 1/64

I can't explain how i got to 128...

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2255 on: May 30, 2015, 11:01:24 am »

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

Wait...

7 players?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: May 30, 2015, 12:10:38 pm »
+1

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

Wait...

7 players?

I... I used my fingers to count... And... Somehow i assumed my right hand had only four fingers, so i had to count two on the other one...  :o
Really, that was me having one of those super stupid moments, where your logic is fundamentally flawed but you don't realize it.

I'm not actually lacking any fingers, by the way.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 30, 2015, 12:19:52 pm »
+10

I once tried to apply the Right-hand rule with my left hand during an exam because I was holding my pen with the other hand. Needless to say, I felt quite silly when I realized why my electrons were flying the wrong way.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: May 30, 2015, 04:46:34 pm »
+3

I once tried to apply the Right-hand rule with my left hand during an exam because I was holding my pen with the other hand. Needless to say, I felt quite silly when I realized why my electrons were flying the wrong way.

I can't count the number of times I've done this.  It's worse to do it when you're the instructor, though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: May 30, 2015, 05:04:12 pm »
+4

I can't count the number of times I've done this.

Not even if you used both hands?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: May 30, 2015, 05:05:56 pm »
+1

I can't count the number of times I've done this.  It's worse to do it when you're the instructor, though.

You have to remember to use the stage-right-hand rule.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 01, 2015, 04:49:24 am »

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

Isn't it something like (5/12)^6 because you might hit 5/2?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 01, 2015, 05:48:26 am »
+4

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

You have 4 possible openings, two of which can buy Port on turn one. What's more, 5/2 and 2/5 are equally likely, with only order mattering, and the same applies to 3/4 and 4/3. Therefore you can simplify down to 50% for an opening that can afford $4 or more.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:53 am »
+1

What is your least favorite card?

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:39 am »

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

You have 4 possible openings, two of which can buy Port on turn one. What's more, 5/2 and 2/5 are equally likely, with only order mattering, and the same applies to 3/4 and 4/3. Therefore you can simplify down to 50% for an opening that can afford $4 or more.

But why wouldn't you spend all of your money, especially in the opening?

That was embarrassing.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: June 01, 2015, 12:53:52 pm »

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

I mean, if the Port pile's going to empty on turn 1, you don't want to miss your chance to get a couple of them!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: June 01, 2015, 01:19:13 pm »
+2

It's 1/2^6 which is 1/64

That was embarrassing.

Not that it's generally a good idea to buy Port with $5 on turn 1, but it's never a good rule to automatically spend the most you can each turn; it can easily be the right decision to buy a card that costs less than what you can afford.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: June 01, 2015, 03:26:09 pm »

Hey, if it's my only chance to get one (two) because they are running out, I'd totally open port.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: June 01, 2015, 04:30:22 pm »
+27

The card I spent the most time hating was Pirate Ship. There were always people convinced it was crazy broken powerful. Having to endlessly prove them wrong, with the threat of them saying "aha I was right all along, wow you really blew it" if the card was ever any good just sucked all the joy out of those games. I am over it though, people worked out just how good Pirate Ship is.

I veto Oracle the most. It just ruins playtesting by endlessly flipping over whatever new card you wanted to test.

The card I am most embarrassed by is Rebuild. Scrying Pool by contrast is a card I blew it on (the grafted-on attack part makes it less cool, way more wordy, and contributes to Alchemy games being slow) but which I still enjoy playing with.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: June 01, 2015, 09:26:23 pm »

This is admittedly a silly question, but when naming Adventures, did you consider or worry in the slightest about confusion with the Adventures challenges of Dominion Online Formerly Known as Goko?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: June 01, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »
+4

What is your favorite card name?  Or the card name you're most proud of?  Are there any card names you'd change if you could?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: June 02, 2015, 11:33:20 am »

Storyteller introduces the mechanic of using your coins on something else than a card (which i'm calling "special pay" for this post). It seems to me that "overpay" from Guilds behaves a lot like as a combination of this "special pay" mechanic with the "on-buy" mechanic. Like:

"When you buy this, you may pay any amount of $ [...]"

So i'm wondering: Is that the same? And would you have solved overpay differently if you had known Storyteller would come?

Edit: The reason why i'm asking is that this variant would have meant one less mechanic. But maybe having two mechanics interact is just as complex. And i guess one might argue it would mislead people into thinking they could pay less than the card's cost...?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:36:24 am by Asper »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: June 02, 2015, 02:06:39 pm »
+2

This is admittedly a silly question, but when naming Adventures, did you consider or worry in the slightest about confusion with the Adventures challenges of Dominion Online Formerly Known as Goko?
When it came up, I said, they will just change that to Campaigns, which is what I've always called them anyway. And at some point I said, Jeff, change those to Campaigns. And in fact they will be called Campaigns.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: June 02, 2015, 02:08:59 pm »

The card I spent the most time hating was Pirate Ship. There were always people convinced it was crazy broken powerful. Having to endlessly prove them wrong, with the threat of them saying "aha I was right all along, wow you really blew it" if the card was ever any good just sucked all the joy out of those games. I am over it though, people worked out just how good Pirate Ship is.

I veto Oracle the most. It just ruins playtesting by endlessly flipping over whatever new card you wanted to test.

The card I am most embarrassed by is Rebuild. Scrying Pool by contrast is a card I blew it on (the grafted-on attack part makes it less cool, way more wordy, and contributes to Alchemy games being slow) but which I still enjoy playing with.

Sorry if this has been asked before: have you ever considered issuing an official fix for those cards (Rebuild in particular) or just outright banning them from "official Dominion"?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: June 02, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »
+2

What is your favorite card name?  Or the card name you're most proud of?  Are there any card names you'd change if you could?
Well without pouring work into this, the one that immediately comes to mind as a favorite is Band of Misfits. I wouldn't say I'm proud of the card names; neither am I ashamed. I'd probably change several names in the main set and Intrigue; I started worrying way more about names as of Seaside.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.