Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127891 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2225 on: May 17, 2015, 08:27:43 pm »
+1

Why has this thread suddenly become an homage to Tom Stoppard?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: May 19, 2015, 03:09:42 am »
+13

Why has this thread suddenly become an homage to Tom Stoppard?
We're more of the memes, forum games and edge cases school. Well, we can do you forum games and memes without the edge cases, and we can do you forum games and edge cases without the memes, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you memes and edge cases without the forum games. Forum games are compulsory. They're all forum games, you see.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: May 20, 2015, 01:10:22 pm »

In the wiki article on Raze I read a quote from you in the trivia, "For a while we tried a card in the Apprentice/Salvager family that gave you a mix of +1's of your choice for trashing a card." You said it was "cwazy". Could you explain what the card did, how much it cost and what was so cwazy about it? I would think the idea sounds fine. What were your experiences with such cards?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: May 20, 2015, 01:11:30 pm »

You've said before that all mechanics introduced in Adventures would be up for grabs for future expansions - how exactly would you deal with new Reserves requiring the Tavern mat without reprinting the mat?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:02 pm »
+4

In the wiki article on Raze I read a quote from you in the trivia, "For a while we tried a card in the Apprentice/Salvager family that gave you a mix of +1's of your choice for trashing a card." You said it was "cwazy". Could you explain what the card did, how much it cost and what was so cwazy about it? I would think the idea sounds fine. What were your experiences with such cards?

The most crazy part, surprisingly, was the ability to get a ton of +Buys. The power of +Buy is the power to end the game, and nowhere was that more apparent than with this outtake.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: May 20, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »
+7

The initial card was cost $2, trash this or a card from your hand, per $1 the trashed card cost, your choice of +1 Action +1 Buy +1 Card +$1.

It did everything for you - it got rid of junk, drew your deck, gave you the +Actions and +Buys you needed, made $. There would be games where you had a way to get cards to feed it and you would have all these crazy turns, where you sat working out, okay I trash this Gold and take +1 Action +1 Buy +4 Cards. Other cards got in on the act and did their own broken things and got fixed or taken out, and this card kept trying to survive and acted like the other cards were the problem. They were not though.

On the surface it seemed reasonable because you are down a card or action compared to Apprentice. But the flexibility was huge. And as LF notes the +Buys were surprisingly powerful; there kept being combos where you cashed in on that one way or another. Like at one point Quest didn't require discarding, just having the cards. You could gain a giant pile of Gold and then burn through it next turn to draw your deck and make lots of $ and Buys. There was the duration card that gained you a Gold if you bought the named type (applying to everyone else too but to you on two turns); same deck, takes a lot of +Buys one turn, gain infinite Gold and explode.

The card was fun, that was part of why it hung around so long. It's great getting that immense flexibility. It's fun trashing good cards and having it be the move. The decks where you gained lots of Golds and ate them were high skill.

I then tried weakened versions and they were also too strong. I tried a card that just gave you +1 Action and +1 Buy per $1 the trashed card cost; those were the two things not covered by previous cards. And I had another version that was just +Buys but a different size/shape. It turned out that with no broken combos, the +Buys were still a problem. Just +Actions didn't seem compelling but I tried that too, just in case we liked it.

It's possible there's some doable thing along these lines - drop the +Buys, make it expensive, no self-trashing. Trader's "gain a Silver" can try to get in there. There is also the issue though of how it compares to other cards - it doesn't want to just look awful next to Salvager and Apprentice. The flexibility doesn't look great next to always getting an extra Buy or Action.

Anyway we gave the concept endless chances.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: May 20, 2015, 05:59:47 pm »
+3

You've said before that all mechanics introduced in Adventures would be up for grabs for future expansions - how exactly would you deal with new Reserves requiring the Tavern mat without reprinting the mat?
If there were new Reserve cards there would need to be a new Tavern mat. Probably a different image so people from the new cards could be sitting there.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2232 on: May 20, 2015, 07:09:43 pm »
+2

If there were new Reserve cards there would need to be a new Tavern mat. Probably a different image so people from the new cards could be sitting there.
And now is when I realize that the people sitting at the Tavern are on the Reserve Cards. (Ratcatcher, Guide, and Wine Merchant; right?)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: May 20, 2015, 07:22:30 pm »
+1

And now is when I realize that the people sitting at the Tavern are on the Reserve Cards. (Ratcatcher, Guide, and Wine Merchant; right?)

It's no coincidence that all three of those cards are illustrated by the same artist.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: May 21, 2015, 02:29:56 am »
+2

There are three people there?  I thought it was just the Wine Merchant, on his own, in the dark.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: May 26, 2015, 11:25:43 am »

Rats, Port, and Magpie all have a bit of a similar thing going on, but only Magpie didn't get the larger supply pile. Any reason for that?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: May 26, 2015, 11:33:33 am »
+3

Rats, Port, and Magpie all have a bit of a similar thing going on, but only Magpie didn't get the larger supply pile. Any reason for that?

Rats got the extra cards to make it harder to get out of being overrun. Port got the extra cards I believe so that they can be split evenly in a 3p game. Magpie had no reason to have extra cards, and more Magpies would only make what is already considered to be a very strong $4 even stronger.

Donald: Do you mind us answering questions directed to you?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: May 26, 2015, 11:45:58 am »
+17

Yes.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:35 am »
+2

There are three people there?  I thought it was just the Wine Merchant, on his own, in the dark.

That hallucinogenic wine, maaaaaaan
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 26, 2015, 12:01:47 pm »
+1

Port got 12 to get an even split in 2-player games.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: May 26, 2015, 12:03:20 pm »

Oh right, that too.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: May 26, 2015, 03:32:44 pm »
+4

Rats got the extra cards to make it harder to get out of being overrun. Port got the extra cards I believe so that they can be split evenly in a 3p game. Magpie had no reason to have extra cards, and more Magpies would only make what is already considered to be a very strong $4 even stronger.

Rats got the extra cards for balance reasons. It's not just balance for the person buying Rats; with 10 Rats, the person not buying Rats would sometimes snag a late Rats for a downside-free trasher. Now they have to wait longer for that and so it's less useful.

Port got extra cards to divide evenly in 2-player games. Hooray, it also worked for 3-player games. This was Sir Martin's suggestion.

Magpie didn't have these reasons pushing for more cards. I would not say that more Magpies would make it stronger across the board. However some games there's Training or Vineyard or something, and then it's good that there aren't more of them.

I don't mind when people correctly answer questions for me. On BGG I tip people who nail the answer; they are saving me time.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:49 pm »
+1

I don't mind when people correctly answer questions for me. On BGG I tip people who nail the answer; they are saving me time.

What are we doing on this forum? We could be making coin!
Well, GeekGold.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 27, 2015, 12:35:14 am »

In the Adventures Secret History, you mention a reserve card that was cut that would give you a +Buy when called. Why did you decide to take it out?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 27, 2015, 05:19:55 am »
+2

In the Adventures Secret History, you mention a reserve card that was cut that would give you a +Buy when called. Why did you decide to take it out?
The card I had was cost $2, +2 Cards, goes on Tavern mat, call for +1 Buy. We would just call it to get the card back, whether or not the +1 Buy mattered. It did not do much for me.

I didn't have to have a Reserve +Buy and didn't like this one and so just dropped it. I probably could have gotten something usable, maybe just a cantrip +Buy later; I didn't need it though.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 29, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »
+1

Conveniently, it also splits in 3p games. And 6p, I guess. Gotta keep those 6-player games in mind. Can't have them getting unbalanced.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: May 29, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »
+2

Conveniently, it also splits in 3p games. And 6p, I guess. Gotta keep those 6-player games in mind. Can't have them getting unbalanced.

Port has a fun interaction with 6 player games. The pile can be easily emptied on turn 1.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2247 on: May 29, 2015, 05:16:08 pm »
+4

Port has a fun interaction with 6 player games. The pile can be easily emptied on turn 1.
Ban?

I think he just implied "fun" and "6 player games" can work together.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: May 29, 2015, 05:23:52 pm »
+1

Maybe 6-player games could work if you doubled the size of every pile.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2249 on: May 29, 2015, 06:19:33 pm »
+8

6-player games could work if you had two more players and played single elimination 1v1.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.