Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2140634 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2200 on: April 29, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »

Why does the art for Pathfinding not fill the entire art box?

Yikes. At least the art is dark.

You don't want to go on that side of the path.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: April 29, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
+3

I'll treat this as a rhetorical question. And I know what you mean. I feel the same way sometimes.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: April 29, 2015, 04:49:25 pm »
+3

When was the last time you taught Dominion to someone who was totally unfamiliar with the game?

Has a friend or family member ever mentioned Dominion to you without realizing you created it?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: April 29, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »
+11

When was the last time you taught Dominion to someone who was totally unfamiliar with the game?

Has a friend or family member ever mentioned Dominion to you without realizing you created it?
When I'm playtesting it comes up once in a while; I'm guessing 1-3 times for Adventures. If I'm playing Dominion and not playtesting, odds are I am not playing with anyone who would possibly not know the rules. It will eventually come up with the kids.

No, but a mom (mother of a friend of the kids) who had heard of Dominion talked with me about it for a bit before realizing that I'd made it.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: April 29, 2015, 05:17:22 pm »
+15

Thanks. I would have quite happily lived the rest of my life thinking that was a tree.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: May 07, 2015, 11:37:52 am »

Why doesn't exchanging cause you to gain the new cards? Is it to lower their power level by removing Royal Seal, Traveling Fair, or Watchtower combos? Or did you feel like it would be simpler to just not have it gaining?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2206 on: May 07, 2015, 12:06:07 pm »
+2

Why doesn't exchanging cause you to gain the new cards? Is it to lower their power level by removing Royal Seal, Traveling Fair, or Watchtower combos? Or did you feel like it would be simpler to just not have it gaining?
For me it feels more like the character is simply improving, not turning into a different character. Gaining would feel like I'm getting something different.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: May 07, 2015, 12:13:37 pm »
+8

Not to mention Trader.

"When I grow up, I want to be a silver~"

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 07, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
+5

It also makes Possession less nasty.

For me it feels more like the character is simply improving, not turning into a different character. Gaining would feel like I'm getting something different.

True, but the same could be said of Urchin/Mercenary.

If you had the technology at the time, would you use the "exchange" mechanic for Hermit and Urchin?

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 07, 2015, 04:56:29 pm »

Do you think there's any chance you would sell a pack of just blank cards (so people could make a whole kingdom out of their own fan cards, or whatever)?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 07, 2015, 05:07:14 pm »
+4

Do you think there's any chance you would sell a pack of just blank cards (so people could make a whole kingdom out of their own fan cards, or whatever)?

I'm not sure where they get them, but the BGG store sells blanks.
http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/dominion-blank-cards

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 07, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »
+3

I obv. didn't want to trash the Travellers because it would reduce your ability to go up the path, or require 40 more cards. It made no sense to both trash and return them, it's just extra words to confuse people. Since you weren't trashing them, I automatically preferred not gaining them, it seems simpler. Gaining them but not trashing them just seems weird to me.

Since they are people getting better there's a poetry to not gaining/trashing, hooray. And to fit on the cards it's all just this magic word "exchange" you have to look up anyway.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 07, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »
+4

If you had the technology at the time, would you use the "exchange" mechanic for Hermit and Urchin?
Well people prefer it when I don't define new terms for them to learn. So, I dunno. Maybe. If they were in Adventures they would be "exchange."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:15 pm »
+3

I'm not sure where they get them, but the BGG store sells blanks.
http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/dominion-blank-cards
Hasbro prints them! So if you have these you can tell what exactly the difference is with that 90 degree rotation.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: May 07, 2015, 06:23:31 pm »

Non-Supply cards usually cost $0, but the upgraded Travellers cost $3, $4, etc. Is there any particular reason why you decided to break the pattern here?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:57 pm »
+6

Non-Supply cards usually cost $0, but the upgraded Travellers cost $3, $4, etc. Is there any particular reason why you decided to break the pattern here?
To help reinforce the upgrading concept; you trade in your $3 and get a $4. It automatically puts them in an order on the table. You know. Obv. the cost then makes a difference for various interactions, but that didn't matter to me so much.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: May 15, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »
+5

So you've said before that, though you might have done certain cards differently knowing what you know now, such as Throne Room saying "you may", you'd never actually change them, for a number of reasons.  However, there are a couple cards that actually have wrong wordings, such as Envoy saying "draw" instead of "put in your hand" - would you ever change those, just to make their wording consistent with their actual effects, since how they play would not be changed?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: May 15, 2015, 03:41:26 pm »
+5

So you've said before that, though you might have done certain cards differently knowing what you know now, such as Throne Room saying "you may", you'd never actually change them, for a number of reasons.  However, there are a couple cards that actually have wrong wordings, such as Envoy saying "draw" instead of "put in your hand" - would you ever change those, just to make their wording consistent with their actual effects, since how they play would not be changed?
Maybe, it would be up to Jay. He might think people would feel entitled to getting sent a free fixed wording card and would sufficiently want to avoid dealing with those people that he wouldn't want the change.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2218 on: May 15, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »

Maybe, it would be up to Jay. He might think people would feel entitled to getting sent a free fixed wording card and would sufficiently want to avoid dealing with those people that he wouldn't want the change.
What about the people that would pay a couple dollars to have a new card?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: May 15, 2015, 04:24:48 pm »
+5

That feels rhetorical?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: May 15, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »
+3

That feels rhetorical?

How do you feel about rhetorical questions?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: May 15, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »
+1

Haven't we been over this already?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: May 15, 2015, 11:15:33 pm »
+1

If you don't like the topic, shouldn't you refrain from feeding it by asking rhetorical questions?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: May 15, 2015, 11:17:18 pm »
+1

If you don't like the topic, shouldn't you refrain from feeding it by asking rhetorical questions?

Well, that wouldn't be any fun, would it?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: May 15, 2015, 11:23:37 pm »
+1

Well, that wouldn't be any fun, would it?

I am afraid you've dropped the ball there, that is a question tag, not a rhetorical question.

But then again, who cares?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.