Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127843 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2150 on: April 26, 2015, 05:39:08 am »
+3

Inspired by the Outpost rewording thread: is there a reason that you haven't used the "discard a random card from hand" mechanic on a Dominion card?
I'm not Donald X, but I'm going to suggest the answer is "it would be no fun, and players wouldn't buy it because they wouldn't want to play it and disrupt their own strategies".
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2151 on: April 26, 2015, 05:50:55 am »
+4

I'm not Donald X. either, but I'm going to suggest the answer is "I met a unicorn who told me to never make a Dominion card that discards a random card from hand".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: April 26, 2015, 07:15:08 am »
+1

Inspired by the Outpost rewording thread: is there a reason that you haven't used the "discard a random card from hand" mechanic on a Dominion card?
I'm not Donald X, but I'm going to suggest the answer is "it would be no fun, and players wouldn't buy it because they wouldn't want to play it and disrupt their own strategies".
There are already Minion (discards entire hand of both you and opponent), Sea Hag (discards random card from opponent deck), Harvest (discards random cards from your deck), Militia (discards cards of opponent's choice from his hand), Pillage (discards a card of your choice from opponent's hand). Wouldn't any not-fun-ness and disruption already be covered by one of those?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 26, 2015, 07:22:18 am »

There are already Minion (discards entire hand of both you and opponent), Sea Hag (discards random card from opponent deck), Harvest (discards random cards from your deck), Militia (discards cards of opponent's choice from his hand), Pillage (discards a card of your choice from opponent's hand). Wouldn't any not-fun-ness and disruption already be covered by one of those?

None of those cards is about the random card discard, the discarding is just necessary for the concept to work. If those cards are not enough for you, i get the impression that you want a card that is un-fun for the sake of being un-fun. Of course people will disagree on whether random discard is fun or not, but i think it's not a good thing at all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2154 on: April 26, 2015, 08:42:32 am »
+2

None of those cards is about the random card discard, the discarding is just necessary for the concept to work. If those cards are not enough for you, i get the impression that you want a card that is un-fun for the sake of being un-fun. Of course people will disagree on whether random discard is fun or not, but i think it's not a good thing at all.

It depends on the context. I think Gamble is a pretty fun Magic card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: April 26, 2015, 11:35:19 am »

"Discard a card at random" is fundamentally very similar to the Minion attack, but it strikes me as less personally harsh, only throwing away one card rather than all of them and therefore not being as threatening to stuff like Scheme and Alchemist. I don't think it'd be terrible with that in mind, but I don't see it adding much of anything either when we already have Minion and Sea Hag and Relic.

Or, wait, you're referring to your own hand? Yeah I don't see people actually wanting to play that.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: April 26, 2015, 11:44:08 am »
+5

- I had a random discard attack in Hinterlands for a bit and it was universally hated.
- I am not seeing the beauty of cards that make you rather than your opponents discard randomly. It would be much slower to resolve than picking what to discard. People would like it less.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: April 26, 2015, 12:41:01 pm »
+2

When you play IRL, are there any particular idiosyncratic things you do?  For example, a lot of people (or at least I and my friends) play Villages in a forking path, so that you have as many Actions as you have uncovered Village corners.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: April 26, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »
+4

When you play IRL, are there any particular idiosyncratic things you do?  For example, a lot of people (or at least I and my friends) play Villages in a forking path, so that you have as many Actions as you have uncovered Village corners.
Some of my playtesters do that, but I don't, I say the number of remaining actions out loud if it's tricky. I do fork with Thrones.

I don't do anything idiosyncratic, it's all extremely sensible. I push up cards to indicate I got bonuses that you don't always get, like taking +$1 from Pawn. I know someone who more thoroughly indicates Pawn choices, but I will remember the rest, I just need to know the coin. I tap Duration cards from last turn at the start of the turn, to remind me that this turn they go away. I cover up money spent on Storyteller.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: April 26, 2015, 05:34:32 pm »

What about a Rats type card promo?

$6
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
gain a Curse
gain a Ruin

...okay, Rats-ish
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:49:27 pm by Flip5ide »
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: April 26, 2015, 05:40:51 pm »

Anyways...

Question for Donald X.:

Did you start with a theme and build the game from that or did you start with a mechanic and design Dominion based off of what you felt would be a fitting theme? I've always wondered this when trying to design my own games.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: April 26, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »
+3

Did you start with a theme and build the game from that or did you start with a mechanic and design Dominion based off of what you felt would be a fitting theme? I've always wondered this when trying to design my own games.

The Secret History of Dominion

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: April 26, 2015, 06:18:34 pm »

$6
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
gain a Curse
gain a Ruin

...okay, Rats-ish

Well I meant the actual Type of the card was "Rats".  There was a thing going for a while in the Really Bad Card Ideas thread..

Edit: I also guess I should clarify that I wasn't serious.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:58:54 pm by Witherweaver »

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: April 26, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »
+4

$6
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
gain a Curse
gain a Ruin

...okay, Rats-ish

FYI, Donald really doesn't like looking at fan cards for various reasons he's outlined several times (I'll post a link if I can find one) and avoids places where they're posted, so please avoid posting them here.

Edit: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg148774#msg148774
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:29:54 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: April 26, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »

Have you ever considered releasing an expansion-to-an-expansion, like a Prosperity II, Dark Ages II, or Alchemy II (although I know I've read somewhere that the latter is fairly unlikely)? Something where RGG wouldn't have to include tokens or pieces again but that would allow you to further explore the design space of, say, VP tokens, Ruins, and Potions a bit more?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2165 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:58 pm »
+4

Have you ever considered releasing an expansion-to-an-expansion, like a Prosperity II, Dark Ages II, or Alchemy II (although I know I've read somewhere that the latter is fairly unlikely)? Something where RGG wouldn't have to include tokens or pieces again but that would allow you to further explore the design space of, say, VP tokens, Ruins, and Potions a bit more?

He's answered this a lot.  Of course they've been considered; Adventures started as Seaside II! (see the Secret History)  Alchemy is not going to happen because Alchemy is the least popular expansion, and generally Donald thinks it's better to make something new than redo something old, but revisiting concepts is not out of the question.  Also, a set is going to come with the components it requires in case somebody gets one and not the other.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 26, 2015, 07:35:48 pm »

Oops, sorry for re-asking!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: April 26, 2015, 08:05:50 pm »
+12

These questions are getting easier and easier.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 26, 2015, 09:16:04 pm »
+13

Why is the strong nuclear interaction invariant to parity and charge conjugation?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: April 26, 2015, 09:32:55 pm »
+1

Have you ever seriously considered pricing a kingdom card at more than 8$? I mean, aside from Possession.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 26, 2015, 09:41:23 pm »
+7

Why is the strong nuclear interaction invariant to parity and charge conjugation?
The short answer is, emergent behavior of low-level randomness, constrained by the need for you to exist.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 26, 2015, 09:46:21 pm »
+3

Have you ever seriously considered pricing a kingdom card at more than 8$? I mean, aside from Possession.
I had an $8 action very early on (a relative of Grand Market). I don't really remember playing with it but I am guessing it was quickly obvious that that's a bad cost.

It's fine to have an expensive trick cost, e.g. Peddler (and that could go over $8). It's bad to have super-expensive cards otherwise, because for many players Province is too compelling, and at the same time I don't want many narrow cards (which a super-expensive card is likely to be). Colony/Platinum provide a way around this, and yet still I just went up to $7 in Prosperity (not counting). Prince didn't set out to cost $8 and well I guess that worked out.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 26, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »
+8

Did you intentionally give all $8 cards names starting with P?  Province, Peddler, Prince, and now Pathfinding.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:10 pm »
+3

Patently preposterous proposition!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: April 26, 2015, 11:12:08 pm »

How bothersome do you find forum posters' criticisms of cards, or wordings and such?
(And since I feel like I've made a bunch of nitpicky posts lately, may I just say: I LOVE DOMINION more than any other game ever!)

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.