Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126941 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2125 on: April 24, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »
+1

What expansions/products sell the best?
Prior to Adventures I think it's just a straight line down from the start, more copies of Intrigue sold than Seaside and so on, not counting small sets. I can't give you figures but you can look at BGG ownership rates for example. It only makes sense that it would work like that; at some point someone thinks, I have 4 expansions, maybe I need to buy some other games too.

Do the later expansions at least sell well enough for it to be worth making more?

Clearly yes, or else more would not have been made.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 24, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »
+7

There was like some lead paint in toys from China scare a few years back, or something like that. It prompted laws that say "you have to do this testing if you want an age on the box lower than 13." Paying for the testing is extremely prohibitive if you aren't going to sell a zillion copies. So games not aimed at kids don't get the testing and thus the age jumped to 13. This is a USA thing; German games probably still say 8+ or whatever, I don't really know there.

Which then causes nightmares for those of us working in retail game stores, as nobody knows this and then refuses to believe us when we say their 8-year old can play a game, because the box says 13+ so surely there must be mature content or an encyclopedia of rules inside that Coup box.

>:(

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 24, 2015, 04:11:38 pm »
+5

Also, what the hell kind of average middle schooler is still shoving small game parts into their mouths?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:30 pm »
+5

Also, what the hell kind of average middle schooler is still shoving small game parts into their mouths?

One who isn't satisfied with just the smell.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 24, 2015, 04:18:08 pm »
+1

Even adults should avoid exposure to lead paint, I think. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with age.

I hate how California fire safety standards require everything be soaked in toxic flame retardants. Why can't there be new laws to ban those?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2130 on: April 24, 2015, 04:18:50 pm »

German games probably still say 8+ or whatever, I don't really know there.

Finnish games from base set to Hinterlands were 8+, Dark Ages and Guilds are 10+. I assume it's because they're more complex than the previous expansions and the people at lautapelit.fi felt like it was appropriate to categorize them as "for adults" (which is what 10+ means) rather than "for families" (which is what 8+ means).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 24, 2015, 04:24:50 pm »
+9

It's nothing to do with reality and everything to do with congressmen trying to look good. Here's something we can all get behind: save the children! They might be getting lead poisoning from books!

More reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Product_Safety_Improvement_Act

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 24, 2015, 05:30:32 pm »

And the cards are now printed by Hasbro.

This makes me sad.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:19 pm »
+1

What expansions/products sell the best?
Prior to Adventures I think it's just a straight line down from the start, more copies of Intrigue sold than Seaside and so on, not counting small sets. I can't give you figures but you can look at BGG ownership rates for example. It only makes sense that it would work like that; at some point someone thinks, I have 4 expansions, maybe I need to buy some other games too.

What about recent/realtime sales (rather than cumulative)? Do people still buy more Intrigue than Seaside, or is it weighed more heavily toward the better reviewed sets? I would expect the current best selling ones would always be the base set and whatever the newest expansion is at the time (?).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 24, 2015, 06:00:22 pm »
+11

What about recent/realtime sales (rather than cumulative)? Do people still buy more Intrigue than Seaside, or is it weighed more heavily toward the better reviewed sets? I would expect the current best selling ones would always be the base set and whatever the newest expansion is at the time (?).
Please address further sales figures inquiries to no-one, I was going to say RGG but really, they don't want to be asked and won't tell you. I can't give you this data, it's not mine to share, let's stop talking about it.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 25, 2015, 05:27:31 am »
+3

let's stop talking about it.

amazon(.de) says (for the German edition):
Dominion: rank 778 in toys
Cornucopia + Alchemy: rank 2.017
Seaside: rank 4.226
Guilds: rank 10.436
Intrigue: rank 28.277
Hinterlands: rank 37.098
Dark Ages: rank 31.582
Prosperity: rank 40.540
Alchemy: rank 43.465

of course amazon might not produce unbiased samples. Especially, as some of these were not avaiable at amazon directly but at resellers, sometimes for more than 100€/expansion.

Honorable mention:
Dark Ages: rank 196.598 in kitchen & household

:e also, German edition seems to be 13+ for all of these the newer editions and 8+ for the old ones.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:32:13 am by DStu »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 25, 2015, 06:40:16 am »
+4

Dark Ages: rank 196.598 in kitchen & household

Those Rats come in handy when you can't be bothered to clean up your breadcrumbs.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 25, 2015, 07:30:18 am »

:e also, German edition seems to be 13+ for all of these the newer editions and 8+ for the old ones.
The Dutch ones are 8+ for everything until Prosperity, then 10+ for Cornucopia, 8+ again for Hinterlands, 12+ for Dark Ages, and then 10+ again for Guilds and now Adventures. ??? And they say Dutch people are practical..

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 25, 2015, 12:55:06 pm »

What is an appropriate method to provide you information about a board state tracking tool I am attempting to develop to facilitate playing games over Skype?  I would like your opinion prior to completing/using it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 25, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »

amazon(.de) says (for the German edition):
Note that those expansions aren't all in print in Germany, due to the switchover from HiG to Altenburger.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: April 25, 2015, 02:12:35 pm »
+3

What is an appropriate method to provide you information about a board state tracking tool I am attempting to develop to facilitate playing games over Skype?  I would like your opinion prior to completing/using it.
Uh this thread is a fine method. And that's it, that's all the information to share.

I'm not too interested. gl hf. You might make some other people mad if you try to sell it. That's really nothing I want to be involved in; make them mad on your own.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 25, 2015, 04:11:43 pm »

Uh this thread is a fine method. And that's it, that's all the information to share.

I'm not too interested. gl hf. You might make some other people mad if you try to sell it. That's really nothing I want to be involved in; make them mad on your own.

I communicate poorly on the internet.  I am just looking to see if you had issues with the idea. No request for any involvement.  Also definitely no intent to sell anything, just use it to play Skype games with other forum members.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 25, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »

I communicate poorly on the internet.  I am just looking to see if you had issues with the idea. No request for any involvement.  Also definitely no intent to sell anything, just use it to play Skype games with other forum members.
But what any sensible person would say my response to you should be is: that I license the game to RGG; I can't authorize whatever fun innocent thing I don't care about, you have to ask them. RGG would normally say have fun, but wait, they license online Dominion to, I'm not sure who, some entity. And that entity may say what no never.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »

Understood, sorry for the bother.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: April 25, 2015, 09:25:05 pm »
+1

Now that there is a card with type Treasure - Attack, I'm curious if there's any reason Ill-Gotten Gains didn't get the Attack type. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:34 pm »
+5

Now that there is a card with type Treasure - Attack, I'm curious if there's any reason Ill-Gotten Gains didn't get the Attack type.

The Attack type refers to what the card does when you play it.  Note that the on-buy of Noble Brigand can't be blocked either.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: April 25, 2015, 10:05:18 pm »
+3

The Attack type refers to what the card does when you play it.

Or, to put it a different way, why should someone get to reveal their Horse Traders just because you get +$1 and gain a Copper?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: April 25, 2015, 10:58:52 pm »
+6

The Attack type refers to what the card does when you play it.  Note that the on-buy of Noble Brigand can't be blocked either.

More accurately, the Attack type refers to nothing whatsoever. But all things that refer to the Attack type only care about Attack cards being played, not gained. So making Ill-Gotten Gains an Attack wouldn't allow you to reveal Moat etc. to stop the Curse; it would just be needlessly confusing.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: April 25, 2015, 11:19:05 pm »
+8

But all things that refer to the Attack type only care about Attack cards being played, not gained.

(well, except Squire)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: April 26, 2015, 04:37:26 am »

Inspired by the Outpost rewording thread: is there a reason that you haven't used the "discard a random card from hand" mechanic on a Dominion card?
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.