Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127087 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2075 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:09 am »
+3

Cool.  I'm curious to hear more about Distant Lands, particularly what else you tried for cost, VP if not reserved, and VP if reserved in testing.  My initial reaction was I'd almost never buy it over Duchy, but if it were cost 4, or say 1 VP if not reserved, it seems more attractive.  I'm probably wrong though.
It was always that size.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 20, 2015, 06:34:37 am »
+6

Will your Secret History of Adventures go up as soon as the rules go up?
No, I like to wait until people can actually get the product, so it will be a few days later.
Cool.  I'm curious to hear more about Distant Lands, particularly what else you tried for cost, VP if not reserved, and VP if reserved in testing.  My initial reaction was I'd almost never buy it over Duchy, but if it were cost 4, or say 1 VP if not reserved, it seems more attractive.  I'm probably wrong though.

You should keep in mind that it Islands itself out of your deck. That's another advantage it has over Duchy besides the potentially more VP.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 21, 2015, 11:54:29 am »

Why is Caravan Guard played instead of set aside until the start of your turn? I admit i expected something more crazy when you announced a card that can be played on another player's turn.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 21, 2015, 05:08:28 pm »

Why is Caravan Guard played instead of set aside until the start of your turn? I admit i expected something more crazy when you announced a card that can be played on another player's turn.

How would you word it's effect to be set aside? It seems to me that it will be a lot more complicated to word that way while keeping the effect identical.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 21, 2015, 05:12:09 pm »
+5

I considered various approaches, taking into account stuff like the weirdness of maybe having a +1 Action token on that pile. This was just the best way I saw to do the concept (of a duration card that triggered faster via a reaction, not specifically a card you played out-of-turn).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:29 pm »
+2

How many official (not playtest versions) sets do you own?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: April 21, 2015, 06:02:40 pm »
+8

How many official (not playtest versions) sets do you own?
I get six of each set and give away 4 to playtesters. So, 2 of each set. In English. Except there are couple old expansion copies I haven't given away, due to not having enough playtesters at the time to give them to, and then the playtesters haven't all picked up their copies of Adventures. I never got the standalone coins product, but I did get Base Cards. And I have some random non-product stuff - a canvas bag from HiG, a little wooden treasure chest, a container of mints. With promos again I keep 2 copies of each.

I am technically owed six of each foreign language set. Jay sent me a few different ones early on. They were cool to see but man who has the space. And you can't give them away. FFG, a company not willing to wave its hands on anything contractual, sent me copies of Infiltration in 3 random languages, like Chinese, Portuguese, Korean? What do I ever do with those, man, the game doesn't even have useful pawns or anything for me to cannibalize. Anyway I said, it's okay Jay, I do not need more foreign copies. Dominion is in a bunch of languages at this point, with a bunch of expansions in some of those languages, so I have turned down a gigantic pile of boxes. I did get one copy of the first Japanese retheme.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: April 21, 2015, 06:12:28 pm »
+2

a little wooden treasure chest

I have that! I won one in a tournament. I love how useless it is.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 21, 2015, 06:48:47 pm »

How would you word it's effect to be set aside? It seems to me that it will be a lot more complicated to word that way while keeping the effect identical.

"When another player plays an attack card, you may set this aside. If you do, +1 Card and at the start of your next turn, discard this and +$1."

I'm assuming that having it discarded is no big deal. Still, now that i wrote this, i can see why "play this" won out, even with the stuff in braces.

I considered various approaches, taking into account stuff like the weirdness of maybe having a +1 Action token on that pile. This was just the best way I saw to do the concept (of a duration card that triggered faster via a reaction, not specifically a card you played out-of-turn).

Ahh... So that's the point. Didn't get that before. Very cool :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: April 21, 2015, 07:09:20 pm »
+9

You should just take the foreign language copies and leave them in random places around your city.  Maybe throw in a cryptic letter and an unrelated cipher or something.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: April 21, 2015, 07:28:16 pm »

...a container of mints.

I'm going to skip making the Mine/Mint joke because I'm too curious about the story behind this.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: April 21, 2015, 08:41:03 pm »
+8

...a container of mints.

I'm going to skip making the Mine/Mint joke because I'm too curious about the story behind this.
There isn't much of a story. It's a small container of mints. HiG must have decided it was a good promotion. You press on the middle of the lid to open it, press on the edges to close it. That's kind of neat. I keep mine in the little wooden chest.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/860208/dominion

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: April 21, 2015, 08:56:44 pm »
+4

...a container of mints.

There isn't much of a story. It's a small container of mints. HiG must have decided it was a good promotion. You press on the middle of the lid to open it, press on the edges to close it. That's kind of neat. I keep mine in the little wooden chest.

+1 for tying in the joke.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: April 21, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »
+2

...a container of mints.

I wonder if Sterling Babcock ever managed to get one.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: April 21, 2015, 09:38:07 pm »
+3

You should just take the foreign language copies and leave them in random places around your city.  Maybe throw in a cryptic letter and an unrelated cipher or something.
Because everyone should get a chance to enjoy Dominion, even bomb squad robots.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: April 21, 2015, 11:40:24 pm »
+5

Because everyone should get a chance to enjoy Dominion, even bomb squad robots.

I thought Bomb only trashed itself and one other card, not the entire set.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:43 am »

If you do make another expansion after Adventures, do you think it's most likely it would be small (150 cards), normal-sized (300 cards), or large (400-500 cards)?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2092 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:08 am »
+1

Now that two expansions have Duration cards, do you think there is a better chance for a Duration Promo?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:21 am »

Now that two expansions have Duration cards, do you think there is a better chance for a Duration Promo?

What about an Attack Promo?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: April 23, 2015, 11:47:57 am »

What about a Knight promo?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: April 23, 2015, 01:05:16 pm »
+25

Or a Ruined Promo?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: April 23, 2015, 01:09:29 pm »

What about a Rats type card promo?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: April 23, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »
+7

If you do make another expansion after Adventures, do you think it's most likely it would be small (150 cards), normal-sized (300 cards), or large (400-500 cards)?
I would like to think 300; it would depend on what was going on, if I had too much great stuff for the theme or what. It's very unlikely it would be 150 because people like that size less, so much so that it may be that Cornucopia is forever welded to Guilds now.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: April 23, 2015, 02:47:59 pm »
+4

I think a bigger factor is how little rulebook space I devoted to Duration cards this time (I did not write the Seaside rulebook except the funny paragraph and FAQ). It doesn't seem out of the question but it's still a mild negative. You might not know what "duration" means but in fact it just tells you when to discard the card, it's not much.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: April 23, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »
+6

What about an Attack Promo?
If you are asking me, there's obv. nothing wrong with an Attack promo. Really there should be one already, to preserve roughly how often Attacks show up for people who get all the promos.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.