Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2141282 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1975 on: March 12, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »
+1

The last places without indigenous peoples were populated in the early portion of the first millennium CE.  I don't think non-inhabited lands exist in the Dominion universe.

Edit: which, presumably, explains the need to explore florst.

I'm just going by the definition of hinterlands:

an area or sphere of influence in the unoccupied interior claimed by the state possessing the coast.

I didn't mean to take this into RSP.  I guess I misinterpreted the word?  Eh.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 13, 2015, 12:00:06 am »

The last places without indigenous peoples were populated in the early portion of the first millennium CE.  I don't think non-inhabited lands exist in the Dominion universe.

Edit: which, presumably, explains the need to explore florst.

I'm just going by the definition of hinterlands:

an area or sphere of influence in the unoccupied interior claimed by the state possessing the coast.

I didn't mean to take this into RSP.  I guess I misinterpreted the word?  Eh.

i.e. Bosnia with respect to Croatia.

EDIT: Joking, by the way.  Don't want to start an international incident here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:09:21 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 13, 2015, 12:26:42 am »

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that I was offended.
I was just pointing out that the traditional Eurocentric definition of "unoccupied" has not historically aligned with the literal definition of the word.
Just some food for thought.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 13, 2015, 01:15:18 am »

Well great. Now we need a Trading Village...

Ooh!  Calling that name for Adventures.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 13, 2015, 03:03:32 am »
+8

Why was Walled Village chosen as the Village to be Ruined?  Same for Grand/Ruined Market.
I didn't pick; Jay must have wanted those artists or those particular cards to be ruined.

Ruined Market: A marketplace that's been recently ruined by barbarians and looters - not an ancient ruins. It would be cute to have it be recognizable as the ruined version of the previous cards Market or Grand Market. No people.

Ruined Village: A village that's been recently ruined by barbarians and looters - not an ancient ruins. It would be cute to have it be recognizable as the ruined version of an existing village card. No people.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: March 13, 2015, 10:48:48 am »
+7

The last places without indigenous peoples were populated in the early portion of the first millennium CE.

Not quite true. Some locations that were uninhabited until late 1st millennium, or later:

Iceland (8th or 9th century)
New Zealand (13th century)
Bermuda (17th century)
Tristan Da Cunha (19th century)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 13, 2015, 01:43:24 pm »

Border Village is too far away for anybody to go after. 

Maybe my knowledge of the history of warfare is a little hazy, but I'm not sure that villages on a nation's border are less likely to be attacked.

Hmm.  I always pictured Border Village being way out on the border of unoccupied land rather than the border of another nation, probably because it's in the hinterlands.  But you make a good point.

But maybe the village is way out on the border and doesn't particularly care which nation wants to claim it; they're just there enjoying the trade.

As an Australian, the concept of settling in an "unoccupied land" is somewhat political.

You realise you are talking to Americans mostly....I think they already have their own history with this.....

Makes me glad us Tuvaluans are not territorial..... All those Naaru Islands have some sweet guano we are eyeing up...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 14, 2015, 08:17:06 am »

Border Village is too far away for anybody to go after. 

Maybe my knowledge of the history of warfare is a little hazy, but I'm not sure that villages on a nation's border are less likely to be attacked.

Hmm.  I always pictured Border Village being way out on the border of unoccupied land rather than the border of another nation, probably because it's in the hinterlands.  But you make a good point.

But maybe the village is way out on the border and doesn't particularly care which nation wants to claim it; they're just there enjoying the trade.

As an Australian, the concept of settling in an "unoccupied land" is somewhat political.

You realise you are talking to Americans mostly....I think they already have their own history with this.....

Makes me glad us Tuvaluans are not territorial..... All those Naaru Islands have some sweet guano we are eyeing up...

Well, the concept of Manifest Destiny was pretty arrogant, but I don't think it beats arriving at a continent full of people and literally declaring it uninhabited.

Not sure that a "we crapped on our native population more than you" contest has any real winners though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 14, 2015, 03:16:44 pm »
+4

Why was Walled Village chosen as the Village to be Ruined?  Same for Grand/Ruined Market.
I didn't pick; Jay must have wanted those artists or those particular cards to be ruined.

Ruined Market: A marketplace that's been recently ruined by barbarians and looters - not an ancient ruins. It would be cute to have it be recognizable as the ruined version of the previous cards Market or Grand Market. No people.

Ruined Village: A village that's been recently ruined by barbarians and looters - not an ancient ruins. It would be cute to have it be recognizable as the ruined version of an existing village card. No people.

Are there any other notes to artists that you think were particularly interesting, asking for specific imagery, etc?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 14, 2015, 04:00:16 pm »
+2

That's a batshit argument. Canoe believe what you're saying?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 14, 2015, 04:04:14 pm »

Double boom!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 14, 2015, 09:01:14 pm »

bOOM! for the first part, negative BOOM for the second. Tried to push it too far my friend.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 14, 2015, 09:28:55 pm »
+12

Are there any other notes to artists that you think were particularly interesting, asking for specific imagery, etc?
I don't think those are so interesting either. In general I leave as much as possible up to the artist. The whole point to the notes is just that some early cards had the wrong thing illustrated. The image on Goons was submitted for Pawn; Steward showed a guy with a serving dish. Not everyone was going to know the terms and sometimes they're ambiguous. Not everyone was going to feel like doing any research. So I started typing up notes.

Treasures often say "no people" because some of the Prosperity ones showed people and I didn't like that as much. A few times I've pointed out things not to do like "no New World crops" or "no gore." Sometimes I've noted the frame color or that something is an attack; I stopped doing that eventually but probably should have kept it up. In rare cases there has been something special to communicate, like the Ruins being ruined versions of things, or the Hermit/Madman connection.

There is an opening paragraph that probably they all get, that notes that the game is medieval, and says the expansion theme. It says that buildings can be shown from inside or outside, that people can be non-European. I used to say could be male or female, then I added, we don't get many females and would like more. Even female artists mostly drew men. For Adventures I just specified male or female on all of the cards that were a person. There will be some women in this art.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 14, 2015, 10:19:23 pm »
+3

There will be some women in this art.

8)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 15, 2015, 03:43:52 am »
+2

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 18, 2015, 07:20:50 pm »

Will this sets art also have the tiny meeple silhouettes in the background of some of them the same you told me about in Dark Ages?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:38 pm »
+14

Will this sets art also have the tiny meeple silhouettes in the background of some of them the same you told me about in Dark Ages?
In an effort to spice things up for what is after all the 9th expansion, most of the art this time around will be macramé. We initially tried origami, but it made the cards too hard to shuffle.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 23, 2015, 02:07:54 pm »

Jacked this from another thread...

If the game had started out as an online game, I would have tried having non-VP piles be unlimited (and done whatever work on the ending condition that I'm not doing for a hypothetical).

You've said you'd prefer to do spinoffs over further expansions, and now the above, so would you ever consider doing an online-only spinoff to try physically impossible features?  Do you think "Dominion with online-only features" is far enough from the original to be a called a spinoff? 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 23, 2015, 02:31:54 pm »
+10

You've said you'd prefer to do spinoffs over further expansions, and now the above, so would you ever consider doing an online-only spinoff to try physically impossible features?  Do you think "Dominion with online-only features" is far enough from the original to be a called a spinoff?
- I made Dominion on a weekend. We played it that Monday.
- I showed Dominion to RGG in June of 2007. It was published in October of 2008.
- My first contact with Funsockets (later called Goko) was October 2011. It's March 2015. The online version still isn't done.

Which is to say, board games are so much easier to get made than computer games. Man. I think I could do good things for some existing computer games. I have some ideas for new computer games. It never sounds fun to pursue them.

I'd consider doing physically impossible things in the online version. I probably won't ever make an online-only expansion, because an expansion that could also be sold irl would be a better project, but I might do a physically impossible promo. I've given it some thought.

For me it's more a question of keeping whatever spin-off close enough to Dominion to justify calling it a spin-off.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 23, 2015, 02:32:49 pm »
+1

Maybe you have answered this, but i can't find it anywhere: When did you decide to add a ninth expansion, since guilds was supposed to be the last? And what happened that made making another dominion expansion seem like something you would want to do again? Not that i'm unhappy for another expansion. I just remember reading some statements in the past that indicated you were excited to move on from dominion to designing other games.

This will most likely be answered once Donald X. does the Secret History for Adventures.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: March 23, 2015, 02:34:49 pm »
+6

Maybe you have answered this, but i can't find it anywhere: When did you decide to add a ninth expansion, since guilds was supposed to be the last? And what happened that made making another dominion expansion seem like something you would want to do again? Not that i'm unhappy for another expansion. I just remember reading some statements in the past that indicated you were excited to move on from dominion to designing other games.
I started working on Adventures last May. I decided to go through with it after the initial work seemed sufficiently promising.

What made me want to do another expansion was the combination of not having managed to make a spin-off yet (Kingdom Builder and Temporum both started out as Dominion spin-offs), and wanting a project to work on that I could immediately be getting stuff done on and feeling satisfied about.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 23, 2015, 11:18:33 pm »
+1

- I made Dominion on a weekend. We played it that Monday.

You are my hero.  This isn't intended as sarcasm.  That is totally awesome.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 27, 2015, 03:41:24 pm »
+4

Will Adventures only get recommended kingdoms for Base and Intrigue, or will it get them for all the other sets?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:24 pm »
+14

Will Adventures only get recommended kingdoms for Base and Intrigue, or will it get them for all the other sets?
It has 'em all; 20 recommended sets total.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 28, 2015, 08:07:39 am »

At what time will you post previews each day?
I assume you'll post them here and on BGG, where will you post first?
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.296 seconds with 21 queries.