Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2136292 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1950 on: March 09, 2015, 01:36:09 am »
+9

How do you feel about all the card types and categories players have come up with (cantrip, terminal Silver, disappearing money, etc)?  Do you use them yourself when talking about cards or coming up with them?  Or how about names for strategies (duchy dancing, PPR, etc)?
I use some of them. Obv. it's handy to have names for things you want to refer to. I don't talk about PPR because there's nothing to say there, it's not something that involves new cards. I say cantrip and terminal. I used to say "free" for cantrip, before the game was out.

A category I refer to some that you guys don't so much is Remodel/Vault. I guess I don't have a catchy name for it. The category is, cards that if you draw two of them give you a use for the other one despite being terminal. Sets want a good number of Remodels/Vaults; it's a basic way to deal with the one-action-a-turn rule. To let you build basic different kinds of decks, you have terminals, Villages, cantrips, Remodels/Vaults.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 09, 2015, 01:39:59 am »
+1

A category I refer to some that you guys don't so much is Remodel/Vault. I guess I don't have a catchy name for it. The category is, cards that if you draw two of them give you a use for the other one despite being terminal. Sets want a good number of Remodels/Vaults; it's a basic way to deal with the one-action-a-turn rule. To let you build basic different kinds of decks, you have terminals, Villages, cantrips, Remodels/Vaults.

Self-synergy?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 09, 2015, 01:44:26 am »
+3

Interesting, especially that you want a number of those in each set. It makes sense, but I never looked at it that way.

As for a name, I'd go with supercolliders!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:02 am »
+12

Interesting, especially that you want a number of those in each set. It makes sense, but I never looked at it that way.

As for a name, I'd go with supercolliders!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 09, 2015, 01:56:18 am »

I have never considered Remodel and Vault being similar. Fascinating. Also, I think Mitigaters would be a semantically meaningful and short name, but Supercolliders is catchier.

Edit: Case in point, Supercolliders got a meme in the time I wrote this.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 09, 2015, 02:23:30 am »
+1

Minus your additions, that's the image I use for Doomsday Machine in the Nefarious prototype.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: March 09, 2015, 07:50:04 am »
+11

How do you like Market Square/Rats?

Medium rare.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 11, 2015, 12:50:06 pm »

Why does Venture play the Treasure it finds, and not just put it in your hand?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 11, 2015, 04:21:21 pm »
+2

Because it's more fun chaining them that way.

(Also I guess it's more interesting thinking about how it interacts with other treasures this way.)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 11, 2015, 04:45:27 pm »

To screw with Counterfeit.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:48 pm »
+3

I would guess that it's because it's less confusing that way, especially for new players.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:49 pm »
+1

I do not remember any specifics there. My guess is that it just seemed simpler to play the card, which you were almost always going to do, than to put it into your hand. It's fewer words too. The original concept was a treasure that drew a card; it immediately turned into digging for a treasure since you'd be unhappy to draw an action.

IGG had several wordings that were similar but varied how it interacted with Trader and an empty Copper pile. I know (from posts) that I was worried there that putting the Copper into your hand would make people wonder if they could play the Copper. Possibly someone had that very question in a game and that's why I was worried. Venture dodges that question. I really don't remember anything there though. Obv. for IGG I decided it would be clear enough to put the Copper into your hand (though in retrospect I would try to balance a vanilla version of the card, just $ on top, for simplicity).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 12, 2015, 09:17:58 pm »

Why was Walled Village chosen as the Village to be Ruined?  Same for Grand/Ruined Market.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19:02 pm »
+1

The village was already being pillaged, give the poor peasants a break!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 12, 2015, 09:20:48 pm »

Yeah, but there's also Mining Village, and Fishing Village, and Native Village, and Worker's Village, and Farming Village, and Border Village...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:05 pm »
+6

Yeah, but there's also Mining Village, and Fishing Village, and Native Village, and Worker's Village, and Farming Village, and Border Village...

Mining, Fishing, Worker's and Farming Villages all have strong economies that allow them to bounce back from any potential ruining.  Border Village is too far away for anybody to go after.  Native Village looks decently defended and lacking anything that can't be more easily be gotten elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Walled Village probably has some treasure within its walls.  And once it's sacked, they'd have a tough time recovering without any obvious source of wealth.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:23 pm »
+2

That seems like a missed opportunity though. It could have been three cards with a clear beginning-middle-end story arc.

Perhaps the real reason is that Donald wanted to take a sly jab at Carcasonne.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 12, 2015, 09:54:24 pm »
+11

Border Village is too far away for anybody to go after. 

Maybe my knowledge of the history of warfare is a little hazy, but I'm not sure that villages on a nation's border are less likely to be attacked.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:36 pm »

Maybe my knowledge of the history of warfare is a little hazy, but I'm not sure that villages on a nation's border are less likely to be attacked.

Hmm.  I always pictured Border Village being way out on the border of unoccupied land rather than the border of another nation, probably because it's in the hinterlands.  But you make a good point.

But maybe the village is way out on the border and doesn't particularly care which nation wants to claim it; they're just there enjoying the trade.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1969 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:12 pm »
+1

Well great. Now we need a Trading Village...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 12, 2015, 10:34:15 pm »

Hmm.  I always pictured Border Village being way out on the border of unoccupied land rather than the border of another nation, probably because it's in the hinterlands.  But you make a good point.

But maybe the village is way out on the border and doesn't particularly care which nation wants to claim it; they're just there enjoying the trade.

As an Australian, the concept of settling in an "unoccupied land" is somewhat political.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 12, 2015, 10:38:29 pm »
+1

As an Australian, the concept of settling in an "unoccupied land" is somewhat political.

When I say unoccupied, I mean actually unoccupied, not occupied by indigenous peoples.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 12, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »
+1

When I say unoccupied, I mean actually unoccupied, not occupied by indigenous peoples.

The last places without indigenous peoples were populated in the early portion of the first millennium CE.  I don't think non-inhabited lands exist in the Dominion universe.

Edit: which, presumably, explains the need to explore florst.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 12, 2015, 11:44:28 pm »
+2

The last places without indigenous peoples were populated in the early portion of the first millennium CE.  I don't think non-inhabited lands exist in the Dominion universe.

Edit: which, presumably, explains the need to explore florst.

i.e. Antarctica.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:03 pm »
+1

There are plenty of places where people don't make a habit of spending much time. Not that they haven't had the chance, but that it's just not a great spot to be.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.